Start by marking “Iced” as Want to Read:
Iced

Iced

3.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
For Megan, home is a place to come back to when there's nowhere left to go. Her last home was a cosy cell at a woman's prison in New Mexico - she'd stabbed a man, though most would say he'd deserved it. She gets a job repossessing cars whose owners have defaulted on their payments. When local pilot Clayton Bennett is stabbed to death, a Native American couple he'd got drun ...more
Published January 11th 2001 by Henry Holt & Co (US), Orion Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Iced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iced

Pooh Gets Stuck by Isabel GainesLooking for Alaska by John GreenNothing Ever Happens by Yoshitomo NaraThe Sweaty Yeti by Roy AppsThe Gulf War Did Not Take Place by Jean Baudrillard
In Your Pants
195th out of 472 books — 192 voters

More lists with this book...

Maddy
Sep 27, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2002-reads
RATING: 4.25

Have you ever been going about your daily business and had something happen that at the time seems inconsequential but subsequently turns out to be of great import, even life changing? That's what happens to Meg Gardner. Originally from Missoula, Montana, Meg screwed up and ended up in jail in New Mexico for petty criminal activities. On returning home, she's lucky to get a job where her background doesn't matter. She repossesses cars. And in the course of repossessing a Jeep owned b
Debbi Mack
Jul 17, 2009 Debbi Mack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As readers of my reviews may know, I'm working my way through Jenny Siler's backlist (the books she wrote before she started writing spy novels under the name Alex Carr). I recently read ICED and found it to be everything I've come to expect from a Jenny Siler novel, a highly-readable combination of hardboiled mystery, a likable (if flawed) protagonist and (in this case) finely detailed description that will make you feel like you're right in Missoula, Montana in winter.

The protagonist, Meg Gard
Don
Jan 17, 2016 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure why I gave it two stars. It was not a page turner, even though It was an audio book. Unfortunately I have decided that I do not like Betty Bobbitt's style of reading, which is disappointing as I enjoy her work all those year ago on television.
Bob
Aug 08, 2013 Bob rated it it was ok
Nearly didn't read "Iced" after forcing my way through Siler's first book. This one was marginally better. 50% of the text consists of flashbacks, which are supposed to explain why Gardner is so screwed up. Again Siler takes an interesting plot and makes it so dark, you just don't care about most of her characters. Gardner is supposed to be so tough, but makes no effort to defend herself at all. Constantly getting pounded on, but never learns. I enjoy strong female protagonists, but Siler's wome ...more
Any Length
Oct 17, 2012 Any Length rated it it was ok
This was not one of my favourite books. I can't fault the plot and the characters are true to themselves. But the book left me somewhat cold.
I didn't like the excessive smoking of the characters who hardly ever ate, but drank way too much and drove vehicles after ward. Not a good model for heros. The main character was the anti-romantic woman, who was smart enough to solve a murder, but not smart enough to improve her life and work through her stuff.
It didn't help that I listened to an audio v
Lib Chelle
Mar 18, 2016 Lib Chelle rated it really liked it
This was an audio book. Good story but what made it better was the reader as she had a Kathy Bates style and it kept me listening.
Penny
Oct 06, 2014 Penny rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It had quite lyrical descriptions of Montana, and a strong female lead ... but it was hard to care about her.
Kirsty Darbyshire

this book from the beach is set in manitoba at a constant temperature of about 20 below; i presume that's fahrenheit but whatever units it's in i'd class it as pretty damned cold. i loved siler's first book easy money and i don't think this one was quite as good as that first effort. the story isn't as multi faceted and the narrator is more reliable and the overall experience wasn't as engaging or as mind twisting. it was still an interesting book but i found it a bit of a disappointment.

Publishsavvy
Jun 25, 2012 Publishsavvy rated it liked it
Interesting book. I read the ARC (not sure where I got it!) so there were a few typos throughout. I was a little disturbed by the break in the relationship of the major characters, and that the main character wasn't able to resolve anything with her parents either. But I suppose that is more like real life, right? Overall the snarky tone of the narrator/main character had me laughing out loud in places.
Margaret
Aug 11, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2007
I was shivering every time I picked up this book - the author describes winter in Missoula, Montana in every chapter. I've decided I never want to live there! (at least in the winter). Not a bad book - liked the character of Meg - she was a little rough around the edges but her repo job kind of made that a necessity. A different sort of book than my normal cozy mysteries.
Judi
Sep 15, 2012 Judi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2000
Twenty-nine year old Megan Gardner is a loner and an ex-con. She spent 18-months in a New Mexico prison and when released she buys a bus ticket to Missoula, Montana. She chose her hometown partially because she felt she had nowhere else left to go and partially driven by a nostalgic remorse for her family....

My review:
Jimmy Mueller
Nov 07, 2013 Jimmy Mueller rated it did not like it
Just not much to it. If it wasn't for the plot's proximity to where I live, I would stop reading after 20 pages. Instead, I stopped reading after 70 pages. Just a boring author without talent. Don't waste your time.
Letha
May 29, 2009 Letha is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Siler is an unexpected find! Montana setting, tough female protagonist, fluid and poetic writing. I'm really getting into this story of an ex-con turned repo worker who stumbles into a series of violent murders.
Grace
May 21, 2012 Grace rated it it was ok
I guess the book was OK, tho the story didn't seem to have much continuity, and not really much of a point, either. Not a book I really liked much, tho it wasn't so bad I had to put it down.
Anne
Nov 05, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast-paced and quick read. Great for a car ride or lazy afternoon reading. Great story that leaves you wanting a little more at the end.
Daelith
Apr 10, 2009 Daelith rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-read
I would have given this book a higher rating except for all the unnecessary descriptions. Waste of words in my opinion.
Desertgirl_2
Jul 11, 2010 Desertgirl_2 rated it really liked it
My favourite of the Siler novels. Scary, thought provoking, strong female character in the lead.
Jan 11, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Odd characters, sort of low lifes but interesting mystery Would read more by this author
Susan
Jul 30, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Another terrific mystery that I'd love to read again.
Mary
Mary added it
Jun 19, 2016
Karla
Karla added it
Jun 16, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Linda Jensen
Linda Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Rachel Lehmann
Rachel Lehmann rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
Janice
Janice rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016