Start by marking “Iced” as Want to Read:

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  17 reviews
For Megan, home is a place to come back to when there's nowhere left to go. Her last home was a cosy cell at a woman's prison in New Mexico - she'd stabbed a man, though most would say he'd deserved it. She gets a job repossessing cars whose owners have defaulted on their payments. When local pilot Clayton Bennett is stabbed to death, a Native American couple he'd got drun ...more
Published January 11th 2001 by Henry Holt & Co (US), Orion Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Iced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iced

Pooh Gets Stuck by Isabel GainesLooking for Alaska by John GreenNothing Ever Happens by Yoshitomo NaraThe Sweaty Yeti by Roy AppsThe Gulf War Did Not Take Place by Jean Baudrillard
In Your Pants
170th out of 399 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

RATING: 4.25

Have you ever been going about your daily business and had something happen that at the time seems inconsequential but subsequently turns out to be of great import, even life changing? That's what happens to Meg Gardner. Originally from Missoula, Montana, Meg screwed up and ended up in jail in New Mexico for petty criminal activities. On returning home, she's lucky to get a job where her background doesn't matter. She repossesses cars. And in the course of repossessing a Jeep owned b
Debbi Mack
As readers of my reviews may know, I'm working my way through Jenny Siler's backlist (the books she wrote before she started writing spy novels under the name Alex Carr). I recently read ICED and found it to be everything I've come to expect from a Jenny Siler novel, a highly-readable combination of hardboiled mystery, a likable (if flawed) protagonist and (in this case) finely detailed description that will make you feel like you're right in Missoula, Montana in winter.

The protagonist, Meg Gard
Nearly didn't read "Iced" after forcing my way through Siler's first book. This one was marginally better. 50% of the text consists of flashbacks, which are supposed to explain why Gardner is so screwed up. Again Siler takes an interesting plot and makes it so dark, you just don't care about most of her characters. Gardner is supposed to be so tough, but makes no effort to defend herself at all. Constantly getting pounded on, but never learns. I enjoy strong female protagonists, but Siler's wome ...more
Any Length
This was not one of my favourite books. I can't fault the plot and the characters are true to themselves. But the book left me somewhat cold.
I didn't like the excessive smoking of the characters who hardly ever ate, but drank way too much and drove vehicles after ward. Not a good model for heros. The main character was the anti-romantic woman, who was smart enough to solve a murder, but not smart enough to improve her life and work through her stuff.
It didn't help that I listened to an audio v
It had quite lyrical descriptions of Montana, and a strong female lead ... but it was hard to care about her.
Kirsty Darbyshire

this book from the beach is set in manitoba at a constant temperature of about 20 below; i presume that's fahrenheit but whatever units it's in i'd class it as pretty damned cold. i loved siler's first book easy money and i don't think this one was quite as good as that first effort. the story isn't as multi faceted and the narrator is more reliable and the overall experience wasn't as engaging or as mind twisting. it was still an interesting book but i found it a bit of a disappointment.

Interesting book. I read the ARC (not sure where I got it!) so there were a few typos throughout. I was a little disturbed by the break in the relationship of the major characters, and that the main character wasn't able to resolve anything with her parents either. But I suppose that is more like real life, right? Overall the snarky tone of the narrator/main character had me laughing out loud in places.
Aug 11, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2007
I was shivering every time I picked up this book - the author describes winter in Missoula, Montana in every chapter. I've decided I never want to live there! (at least in the winter). Not a bad book - liked the character of Meg - she was a little rough around the edges but her repo job kind of made that a necessity. A different sort of book than my normal cozy mysteries.
Twenty-nine year old Megan Gardner is a loner and an ex-con. She spent 18-months in a New Mexico prison and when released she buys a bus ticket to Missoula, Montana. She chose her hometown partially because she felt she had nowhere else left to go and partially driven by a nostalgic remorse for her family....

My review:
Jimmy Mueller
Just not much to it. If it wasn't for the plot's proximity to where I live, I would stop reading after 20 pages. Instead, I stopped reading after 70 pages. Just a boring author without talent. Don't waste your time.
May 29, 2009 Letha is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Siler is an unexpected find! Montana setting, tough female protagonist, fluid and poetic writing. I'm really getting into this story of an ex-con turned repo worker who stumbles into a series of violent murders.
I guess the book was OK, tho the story didn't seem to have much continuity, and not really much of a point, either. Not a book I really liked much, tho it wasn't so bad I had to put it down.
Very fast-paced and quick read. Great for a car ride or lazy afternoon reading. Great story that leaves you wanting a little more at the end.
I would have given this book a higher rating except for all the unnecessary descriptions. Waste of words in my opinion.
My favourite of the Siler novels. Scary, thought provoking, strong female character in the lead.
Odd characters, sort of low lifes but interesting mystery Would read more by this author
Another terrific mystery that I'd love to read again.
Victoria Ivanova
Victoria Ivanova marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015