Busy, Busy Town

Busy, Busy Town

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,486 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Huckle Cat and Lowly Worm provide a fun introduction to Richard Scarry's Busytown, the setting of Busytown Mysteries on TV. Each oversized spread features a different place from the Post Office, to the Supermarket, to the farm. And for each place is a complete, simple story describing the activities, sights and friendly folk who can be found there. Familiar faces like Sarg...more
Published August 15th 2000 by Golden Books (first published December 12th 1994)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
406th out of 3,010 books — 5,729 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for three-year-old children
27th out of 244 books — 198 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
I LOVED Richard Scarry books growing up...they are super busy, and filled with eye candy! Everywhere you look there is something going on :) I have the entire collection to share with my daughter now, and they are really fun to look back on. Some of the images are really dated, ex: record players and tv's with rabbit ears, etc... (which makes it fun for me), but doesnt hurt the story at all! My daughter is 2 1/2 and sometimes i see her just sitting in a corner looking thru all the pages on her o...more
Ronda
This is another one of those books that I remember checking out from my elementary school library over and over and over (you get the idea). I always liked the pictures and apparently talked about it so much that, when it was reprinted, my sister took pity on me and bought me a copy. (Thanks sis!!!) My fave? "Lowly worm eats peas. Peas are round in shape." (but it's gotta be in context with the picture. This book, though somewhat dated in some ways (no computers of course), would be a great one...more
Mags
Aug 09, 2008 Mags rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschoolers and early elementary
I remember Richard Scarry's books when I was a child, but had totally forgotten about them until I had my own children. My preschooler LOVES sprawling out and looking at Richard Scarry's books. Yes, the stories don't make much sense, and the illustrations are not the most well drawn, but they do have a style of their own that fascinates children. There are so many little details packed into the illustrations, it's a lot of fun for kids to just look at everything going in each page.
Ned Leffingwell
Richard Scary books are great. They are fun to look at and give kids names for everyday stuff in the world.
Katherine
Sep 10, 2008 Katherine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children 6 months - 6 years
I loved this book as a child and my 15 month old delights in this book when her "dada" reads it to her during her goodnight routine.
Elizabeth
I remember loving Richard Scarry books when I was a child. And they hold something so FASCINATING. Even though this book takes longer to read than many, it always holds the attention of toddlers. The illustrations are so busy and interesting; there is always something new to discover.
sleeps9hours
These are so dated now but I just poured through them as a kid. Can't imagine not sharing with my little ones.
Mary Jo Garcia
Here's another book from my childhood. I remember sitting in a doctor's waiting room and reading it. I love Scarry's animal characters. I think Scarry was one of the first to do cross-promotion with toys and cartoons, so every child in the 70's was familiar with his work. What I really adore is that it is as "busy" as its title suggests. There are loads of illustrations and text on every page, and there's action happening in each picture.
Johanna
This is a nice big book, with lots of pictures of cars and trucks and motorcycles and planes, which means that Leo really digs it. Right now, we are at the stage where we just look at the pictures and talk about them - if I take the time to read the vignettes about each character or scenario, I find them rather lame and dated. Also, I wish that this were a board book - very hard to get a toddler to treat paper pages gently.
Finn Pennekamp
MAN! THIS BOOK HAS EVERYTHING -- LITERALLY!!!

All kinds of trucks, all kinds of houses, all kinds of jobs, all kinds of animals, all kinds of people, all kinds of construction equipment, all kinds of household supplies... basically, everything I want to know about the world!

I'm going to be spending A LOT of time with this book. Thanks Uncle Scott & Aunt Kyle!
Mark
Sep 23, 2007 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: curious children
This is probably the first Richard Scarry's children books I read, back in the time when I could even hardly understand English at all. Love the cute drawings, which eventually led me to want to know more (i.e. understand meanings of each word). In fact, as far as I could remembered, this book was the reason behind my first encounter with dictionary. Ha!
Michelle
Jun 05, 2008 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with kids 3-5 yrs
The boys love this book. They want to read it every night. It has various stories about jobs like farming, building a house, delivering mail etc. I asked for this for xmas because we were going to the play at the children's theatre. It was nice to have already read the book many times before seeing the play. I would highly recommend it.
BoekenTrol
Feb 22, 2012 BoekenTrol rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all people with small children
A great book, that I read to / with my brother many many times. Not only he, but I also discovered new things in the pictures every single time we read the book.
Marvellous drawings.

This edition I did not read, of course (published about 30 years later), but since I could not find the data on that one, I use a current.
Babadri
oh, i had such immense love for richard scarry books when i was little. ok, it was an obsession. the details! i remember poring over ever photo, lingering over the illustrations. i still have this one somewhere - falling apart, taped together with love.

lowly the worm was my favorite - his little apple car was the coolest!
Alise Durkota
Excellent resource for teaching students about the jobs around their town and in the general world. Helps to build vocabulary under this theme. Great illustrations,interesting to look at and fun to explore. Great to place in a library for general viewing or to pull out as a reference.
Jeremy
This book is fully to blame for my Attention Defecit Disorder. I should sue Lowly for ritalin expenses.

Nonetheless, I used to love looking at it, and I bet if I came across it in my folks' basement today, I'd sit on the floor and stare at it for three hours.
Mary Beth
As is true of most Richard Scarry books, this one is full of details and small, internal stories that Rabbit loves. It is one of those books that you can open any page and have a good time talking about what is happening in the illustrations.
Nikki Boisture
Nov 14, 2008 Nikki Boisture rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the toddler set
Shelves: grady-s-books
This book is chock full of in-depth pictures from the great Richard Scarry. Everytime my son and I read it, I notice something new! Plus, a peanut car, a pickle care and an apple car are all hilarious to a two-year old!
Peter Macinnis
This was one of my favourites when my children were young, and one of theirs as well. In fact, we consumed a cart-load of Scarry. Soon, I can start again with my grand-children!
Ebookwormy
This book covers all the different things that happen in "BusyTown" It is classic Richard Scarry drawings, characters and text. We enjoyed it, but it's not a "must have" for me.
Danny
This is the book we read when our daughter Loralee was a toddler, when she became the Lowly worm. =)
Jessie
I remember Richard Scarry from my childhood. They still hold up. My toddler loves the intricate pictures.
Adrienne
Loved this book as a child! Re-reading now that there's a little one in the family!
Sandee Clemons
I had this book as a kid and I still remember how much I loved it!
Dianne Norberg
Good book for teaching about community helpers.
Amanda
My favorite book as child
Guthrie
Read it hundreds of times.
Amy
  • Roadwork
  • Mouse Soup
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • I Am a Bunny
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Snow
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • Carl's Afternoon in the Park
  • If I Built a House
  • George and Martha Rise and Shine
What Do People Do All Day? Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever

“There are all kinds of writers. The best writers write children's books.” 15 likes
“Librarians lend people books from the library. The best librarians are children's book librarians.” 6 likes