Start by marking “Busy, Busy Town” as Want to Read:
Busy, Busy Town

Busy, Busy Town

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,326 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Huckle Cat and Lowly Worm provide a fun introduction to Richard Scarry's Busytown, the setting of Busytown Mysteries on TV. Each oversized spread features a different place from the Post Office, to the Supermarket, to the farm. And for each place is a complete, simple story describing the activities, sights and friendly folk who can be found there. Familiar faces like Sarg ...more
Published August 15th 2000 by Golden Books (first published June 18th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Busy, Busy Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Busy, Busy Town

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
407th out of 3,454 books — 6,498 voters
The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Color Kittens by Margaret Wise BrownThe Saggy Baggy Elephant by Kathryn Jackson
My FAVORITE LITTLE GOLDEN BOOK
13th out of 132 books — 95 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Mar 09, 2009 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
I LOVED Richard Scarry books growing up...they are super busy, and filled with eye candy! Everywhere you look there is something going on :) I have the entire collection to share with my daughter now, and they are really fun to look back on. Some of the images are really dated, ex: record players and tv's with rabbit ears, etc... (which makes it fun for me), but doesnt hurt the story at all! My daughter is 2 1/2 and sometimes i see her just sitting in a corner looking thru all the pages on her o ...more
Ronda
Jun 02, 2009 Ronda rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is another one of those books that I remember checking out from my elementary school library over and over and over (you get the idea). I always liked the pictures and apparently talked about it so much that, when it was reprinted, my sister took pity on me and bought me a copy. (Thanks sis!!!) My fave? "Lowly worm eats peas. Peas are round in shape." (but it's gotta be in context with the picture. This book, though somewhat dated in some ways (no computers of course), would be a great one ...more
Mags
Aug 09, 2008 Mags rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschoolers and early elementary
I remember Richard Scarry's books when I was a child, but had totally forgotten about them until I had my own children. My preschooler LOVES sprawling out and looking at Richard Scarry's books. Yes, the stories don't make much sense, and the illustrations are not the most well drawn, but they do have a style of their own that fascinates children. There are so many little details packed into the illustrations, it's a lot of fun for kids to just look at everything going in each page.
Ned Leffingwell
Jan 12, 2014 Ned Leffingwell rated it really liked it
Richard Scary books are great. They are fun to look at and give kids names for everyday stuff in the world.
Katherine
Sep 10, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 6 months - 6 years
I loved this book as a child and my 15 month old delights in this book when her "dada" reads it to her during her goodnight routine.
Danny
Jan 29, 2015 Danny rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, classics
This is the book we read when our daughter Loralee was a toddler, when she became the Lowly worm. =)
Mycala
Nov 02, 2014 Mycala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiration
Full of light-hearted humor ("Artists paint pictures. The best artists paint pictures for children's book" and "The best librarian's are children's book librarians") and colorful, detailed drawings, this book will forever be one of my favorites. I agree with Mr. Scarry that sometimes the best books were made for children, but the wise reader realizes that sometimes it is possible for even adults to get something out of "children's books."

Elizabeth
Jun 07, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I remember loving Richard Scarry books when I was a child. And they hold something so FASCINATING. Even though this book takes longer to read than many, it always holds the attention of toddlers. The illustrations are so busy and interesting; there is always something new to discover.
Michael
Jan 22, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: the-kids-books
My two-year-old can't get enough of this one, but it can be a bit of chore to reread. The small visual gags are nice, but I find myself playing fast and loose with the text to give it a better flow and a bit more zip.
Nancy
Nov 03, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This is my 2 year olds favorite book. Although it is an absolute headache to even look at, it has increased his vocabulary and he loves looking for Lowly Worm throughout the book.
Tara Calaby
Sep 08, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a kid.
Ellen Allerton
Oct 04, 2014 Ellen Allerton rated it it was amazing
A favorite of two of my children.
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
Feb 13, 2011 Mary Jo Garcia-Brown rated it it was amazing
Here's another book from my childhood. I remember sitting in a doctor's waiting room and reading it. I love Scarry's animal characters. I think Scarry was one of the first to do cross-promotion with toys and cartoons, so every child in the 70's was familiar with his work. What I really adore is that it is as "busy" as its title suggests. There are loads of illustrations and text on every page, and there's action happening in each picture.
Johanna
Sep 09, 2009 Johanna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a nice big book, with lots of pictures of cars and trucks and motorcycles and planes, which means that Leo really digs it. Right now, we are at the stage where we just look at the pictures and talk about them - if I take the time to read the vignettes about each character or scenario, I find them rather lame and dated. Also, I wish that this were a board book - very hard to get a toddler to treat paper pages gently.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I like these Richard Scarry books, though the characters in this are kinda inept.

My main issues are the gender divisions: pretty stark. There's also some outdated stuff, but I like the idea that Busytown exists in its own self-contained world, outside of our own, which is its appeal for me. This book is also less busy (hah) than the others, so I enjoy that as well.
Finn Pennekamp
Mar 28, 2013 Finn Pennekamp rated it it was amazing
MAN! THIS BOOK HAS EVERYTHING -- LITERALLY!!!

All kinds of trucks, all kinds of houses, all kinds of jobs, all kinds of animals, all kinds of people, all kinds of construction equipment, all kinds of household supplies... basically, everything I want to know about the world!

I'm going to be spending A LOT of time with this book. Thanks Uncle Scott & Aunt Kyle!
Mark
Sep 23, 2007 Mark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: curious children
This is probably the first Richard Scarry's children books I read, back in the time when I could even hardly understand English at all. Love the cute drawings, which eventually led me to want to know more (i.e. understand meanings of each word). In fact, as far as I could remembered, this book was the reason behind my first encounter with dictionary. Ha!
Michelle
Jun 05, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with kids 3-5 yrs
The boys love this book. They want to read it every night. It has various stories about jobs like farming, building a house, delivering mail etc. I asked for this for xmas because we were going to the play at the children's theatre. It was nice to have already read the book many times before seeing the play. I would highly recommend it.
BoekenTrol
Feb 22, 2012 BoekenTrol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all people with small children
A great book, that I read to / with my brother many many times. Not only he, but I also discovered new things in the pictures every single time we read the book.
Marvellous drawings.

This edition I did not read, of course (published about 30 years later), but since I could not find the data on that one, I use a current.
Babadri
Mar 06, 2010 Babadri rated it it was amazing
oh, i had such immense love for richard scarry books when i was little. ok, it was an obsession. the details! i remember poring over ever photo, lingering over the illustrations. i still have this one somewhere - falling apart, taped together with love.

lowly the worm was my favorite - his little apple car was the coolest!
Alise Durkota
Excellent resource for teaching students about the jobs around their town and in the general world. Helps to build vocabulary under this theme. Great illustrations,interesting to look at and fun to explore. Great to place in a library for general viewing or to pull out as a reference.
Jeremy
Aug 06, 2007 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This book is fully to blame for my Attention Defecit Disorder. I should sue Lowly for ritalin expenses.

Nonetheless, I used to love looking at it, and I bet if I came across it in my folks' basement today, I'd sit on the floor and stare at it for three hours.
Mary Beth
Oct 20, 2008 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rabbit-and-bear
As is true of most Richard Scarry books, this one is full of details and small, internal stories that Rabbit loves. It is one of those books that you can open any page and have a good time talking about what is happening in the illustrations.
Nikki Boisture
Nov 14, 2008 Nikki Boisture rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the toddler set
Shelves: grady-s-books
This book is chock full of in-depth pictures from the great Richard Scarry. Everytime my son and I read it, I notice something new! Plus, a peanut car, a pickle care and an apple car are all hilarious to a two-year old!
Peter Macinnis
Jan 17, 2010 Peter Macinnis rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, education
This was one of my favourites when my children were young, and one of theirs as well. In fact, we consumed a cart-load of Scarry. Soon, I can start again with my grand-children!
Ebookwormy
May 04, 2008 Ebookwormy rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-preschool
This book covers all the different things that happen in "BusyTown" It is classic Richard Scarry drawings, characters and text. We enjoyed it, but it's not a "must have" for me.
H
Mar 05, 2015 H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I would like to thank this book for teaching my toddler son the word "hobo". Now he won't go to sleep until we flip to the railroad page and see the hobo.
sleeps9hours
Sep 18, 2014 sleeps9hours rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
These are so dated now but I just poured through them as a kid. Can't imagine not sharing with my little ones.
Michelle Kellar
May 20, 2015 Michelle Kellar rated it it was amazing
My grandkids love anything by Mr. Scarry. They love the worm the best & always look for him on every page.
Jessie
I remember Richard Scarry from my childhood. They still hold up. My toddler loves the intricate pictures.
  • Little Bunny Follows His Nose (Golden Scratch & Sniff Books)
  • Best Friends for Frances
  • The Golden Egg Book
  • Me Too, Iguana
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • What's Wrong, Little Pookie?
  • Little Mommy
  • Henny Penny
  • Boats
  • Curious George Visits a Toy Store (Curious George New Adventures)
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • Roadwork
  • Corgiville Fair
  • The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (The Dumb Bunnies, #2)
  • Mouse Soup
  • I Love Trains!

“There are all kinds of writers. The best writers write children's books.” 19 likes
“Librarians lend people books from the library. The best librarians are children's book librarians.” 8 likes