Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)

Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mysteries #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  53 reviews
(Series #1) Ms. Ohio Happy Pennington finds out it’s not all sequins and silicone when she competes on Oahu for the Ms America crown—the first national title of her life.

When her fiercest competitor tumbles dead out of the isolation booth during the televised pageant finale, Honolulu PD gets to thinking Happy might have killed her.

What’s the only thing a beauty queen worth...more
Published June 9th 2011 by Bramerton Press

To ask other readers questions about Ms America and the Offing on Oahu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ms America and the Offing on Oahu

Hawaii by James A. MichenerMoloka'i by Alan BrennertLiquid Comfort - A Surf Story by Cheryl Lee PetroHonolulu by Alan BrennertBlood Orchids by Toby Neal
Hawaii
69th out of 73 books — 61 voters

More lists with this book...

Kevin Marsh
Diana Dempsey has done it again! She never ceases to enthral me with her clever plots. I find her characters adorable and the Beauty Queen Mysteries No 1 was no exception. It seems Diana had great fun writing 'Offing in Oahu', that comes out clearly in her amusing and punchy writing. I did wonder how this story would appeal being written in the first person, but I had no need to worry, I found it a great read.
I would thoroughly recommend this book to all readers and will definitely look forward...more
Emma
This was a freebie on my Kindle and it turned out to be a nice little surprising Summer read. Often I start Summer chick lit books and give up a chapter or so in because they're boring and predictable but this was pretty good. I did wonder how much I'd like the main character because of the whole beauty queen thing and was she going to be some airhead who just happened to flirt her way to the truth but no, Happy (I did find the name irritating) was quite likeable. Her Mother was funny and the cr...more
Caroline
A fun read with so many possible suspects. The beauty contest ~ pageant theme is unique and worked surprisingly well. A definite recommend to people who like fun,upbeat cozy mysteries.
Mel J
I'm not a big fan of "chick-lit", romance stories or mysteries, but Diana Dempsey is hilarious.
Allison
Really enjoyed it. A fun look inside the pageant world.
LORI CASWELL

Happy has to clear her name and catch the killer and make sure they are very UN -Happy!!!

Dollycas’s Thoughts
This book was my choice for my December Just For Fun Reading Challenge...more
Dianne
I managed, just barely to finish this book last night and I wanted to give myself 24 hours to mull over what I felt about it. Unfortunately my feelings haven't changed from last night. Instead of the 1 star this book should have gotten I gave it a 2 because I could see that the author tried very hard to make this an interesting, action packed book. She did try to weave a good story, and had some interesting and well written secondary characters. Unfortunately what finally did happen, is that the...more
Juliet Doubledee
Found this book to be an enjoyable, light read that is perfect for sitting by the pool or under a tree. The story revolves around Ms. Ohio, Happy Pennington, who witnesses one of her top rivals dying of poisoning. Since she was the last competitor to see the poisoned Ms. California alive, and because this final contestant was her top competitor to the Ms. America crown (which just so happens to now be awarded to Ms. Ohio), Happy is the top suspect in the murder. To clear her name she begins inve...more
Cynthia Jones
I really enjoyed the twists and turns of this light-hearted mystery novel. It was a first read from the author and I will certainly consider reading the other Beauty Queen Mystery stories as well. I obtained the book as a freebie and read it on my Kindle over two sittings - great for a poolside or plane ride. The book has some fun at the expense of the pageant process, which I found quite entertaining!
Britney
This was my first read by Ms. Dempsey snd I enjoyed it. It was a nice cozy mystery that didn't bore. I like the it didn't drag on with useless information that didn't fit the story.

Happy Pennington is a beauty queen who wants to be an amateur sleuth. Her father is a cop, so she feels she should do investigating cause its in her blood.

I will be looking for the rest in the series.
Susan
This was a light mystery and, I think, a freebie from nook. There were a lot of characters and a lot of suspects, and the plot was fairly good. I thought the author could have handled the family relationships better as she made the husband look foolish at times.
Patricia C Robbins
Delightful

Delightful

This is a good start for a series with beauty queen contestants as the major players. Suspenseful, enjoyable. A pleasant read. I'd certainly like to read more stories about Happy Pennington.
Kara
Got this for free on the kindle and ended up enjoying it. Fun mystery, funny moments, good beach reading and a unique spin on the accidental detective. Plus, now i know the difference between a muumuu, a caftan, and a tunic :-) I think I'll read the next in this series.
Elizabeth Bailey
A fun and crazy read. I enjoyed this a lot. It was a frolic and a romp and just mad. Funny and beautifully put together. An author I will be reading again. Like to try her other series.
Clare
I really enjoyed this book. its what I like to call an easy sunday afternoon book. It was fun and very enjoyable. I am looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Misterg
Light and non-taxing. As much goes into the description of the clothes as the plot. An OK read, but I don't think I'll bother with the sequels thank you very much.
Marilyn
Good

this was a story about beauty pageants and murder.the amount of criminal activities that have been commented during this pageant.
Jen Massamore
Great read

I loved it. It kept me interested and reading waiting for what would happen next. I was very surprised by the ending.
Elsa
I loved this. It is the perfect beach read. Fun, lighthearted, but not 100% predictable. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.
Val Sanford
Ms America competition is fierce and the presumed winner ends up dead from lethal lipstick. Enter Ohio contestant Happy Pennington (not her real name) to glide her way to the answer. The book is quirky with funny but not fully developed characters and the answer is a quick sum-up that left me unsatisfied. All that said, I think this has the fundamentals needed for a fun series following the beauty pagents around the globe. You'll learn trade secrets like how to use packing -- never duct -- tape...more
Michelle
I liked this. this was a scene in a setting I don't know anything about...I figured there was back stabbing but this book took it to a whole new level. fun stuff.
Michelle Strommen
This was a great mystery. Easy to read and a pleasure. Very enjoyable.
Lae Monier
Entertaining chick flick with depth. A good read.
Karen Salmons
Light mystery, probably won't read sequel. Not much into beauty queens. Read mostly because of Hawaiian setting.
Jean Barrington
This book should probably be a three star; it was well written and well edited - it was just too goofy of a story to get a three star by me. It is the kind of ultra-light reading one does by the pool or at the beach when one wants to keep busy without a lot of brain usage.
Fun, but I doubt I will read another one by her, unless I am of course, going to the beach or laying in bed with a cold and cannot concentrate much. It was fun and goofy - if you are looking for that; this book is for you.
Julie Oleary
Insanely, suprisisingly, slightly esoterically funny!!
Ktouton
This book is great to read on vacation or when you have read an intense book. This book has very descriptive writing. If I cared about fashion it might have mattered to me.

This book does have some references to homosexual references along with numerous adultery references. Some people might not find.it acceptable for young teens becauses of these references.

Overall it was a light and quick read.
Michele

This is a great cozy, fun, reasonable characters, a solid plot, and just interesting to the last page!
There are two more books in the series, and I'm ready to read them!
Trust me, this book is fun, and the whodunnit is a cleverly kept secret, but not way out of the realm of guessing.
I enjoyed this read! It was not annoying and no pressure. Tasteful and fun!!!!!
  • Maui Widow Waltz
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • A Dead Red Cadillac (A Dead Red, #1)
  • Foreclosed (The Mitzy Neuhaus Mysteries, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Marr-nia (Short Stories Starring Barbara Marr)
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #3)
  • Illegal Magic
  • Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen Mysteries #1)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #1)
  • Sourdough Wars (Rebecca Schwartz, #2)
  • Phone Kitten
  • Legwork
  • Death Will Get You Sober (Bruce Kohler, #1)
  • Sweet Masterpiece (A Samantha Sweet Mystery #1)
  • Sweet Ginger Poison
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • Death Comes to Town (A Darcy Sweet Cozy Mystery, #1)
Diana Dempsey traded in an Emmy-winning career in TV news to write fast, fun romantic fiction. Her debut novel, Falling Star, was nominated for a RITA award for Best First Book by the members of Romance Writers of America. Other of her novels have been Top Picks of Romantic Times or selections of the Doubleday Book Club.

In her dozen years in television news, the former Diana Koricke played every o...more
More about Diana Dempsey...
Falling Star Chasing Venus Too Close to the Sun Ms America and the Villainy in Vegas (Beauty Queen Mysteries, No. 2) To Catch the Moon