Start by marking “Tropical Heat (Fred Carver, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tropical Heat (Fred Carver, #1)

Tropical Heat (Fred Carver #1)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Forced into early retirement by a bullet to the knee, ex-cop Fred Carver undertakes a missing persons case that quickly places him in mortal danger

When the criminal’s bullet shattered his knee, Fred Carver’s colleagues called him lucky. Between his pension and the insurance check, they said, he had a nice, easy retirement to look forward to. But Fred Carver would rather h
Published June 14th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Tropical Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tropical Heat

Rob Smith
It's been about ten years since I read my first John Lutz and decided I wouldn't read another Lutz book. Years have passed, some perspective has changed, reading habits altered. I thought I'd give another one a try.

Oops! This book reminded me of my reasoning years ago. Though there is a good mystery stuck in the 246 pages, it's a bit tough to get to with all else it's sunk into. This complaint isn't along the lines of my standard complaint of over writing that is common more today than when this
Rob Kitchin
Tropical Heat is the first Fred Carver book in a series of ten published between 1986 and 1996. Carver is a somewhat reluctant private investigator who hobbles about with a cane (that doubles as a weapon) due to a gammy leg. Set in central Florida, the story is a typical PI tale of finding a missing person who doesn’t want to be found, who has a more complex back story than originally thought, and the PI and woman hiring him becoming romantically involved. Whilst there are a number of action seq ...more
Ginney Etherton
This is a new author for me, and I will be reading more. I like the detective, a flawed and believable hero. And who doesn't like reading about Florida (as long as I don't have to live there)? The story has romance, a complex mystery, and the violence isn't gross. As a writer, I appreciate the talent of crafting good dialogue and Lutz is a fine example.
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Carolyn
Anyone who thinks this is muddled writing doesn't understand good prose. This is a great book.
Keysersozed
Love Florida as a location but I'm getting sick of the PI clichés and this book was riddled with them.

I did like the way Caver used his strengths to overcome his handicap elevating it from just a stock plot-device but the end was a little too Holmes-ian: the PI just revealing everything he figured out from information we weren’t privy to.

Wasn’t bad, didn’t hate it but I probably won’t continue with the series.
Tj
Lutz spent more time describing the scene and other things that didn't add anything to the story (getting in a car, driving around, taking a shower, all the patrons in a diner) than he did telling me anything meaningful about the story. It's not difficult to fill 218 pages when you go into painstaking detail about trivial information.
Jane Brant
Basic mystery with great reliance on dialogue to carry the plot forward; disappointed in the sketchy descriptive qualities setting it in Florida and its swampland....missed a good chance to show some additional knowledge of area he is writing about in this series.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Fred Carver (first in series); a former cop wounded in the line of duty takes on a case as a PI, working to find a real estate agent who may, or may not, have killed himself by jumping into the sea
Joyce McKune
Shot in the knee trying to stop a convenience store robbery, Carver was retired from the Orlando police and doing private investigations. Hired to find a missing person presumed dead, he is almost murdered twice.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I read this some years ago, and didn't write much about it, but I noted that I would read more in the series, so I must have "really liked it". And I have read at least one more in the Fred Carver series.
Betsy the Quilter
My first John Lutz book. I enjoyed it enough to want to read more by this author and to read more in the Carver series...although I thought there were a few things that were far fetched in the book.

Betsy
Olga DiLenge
I really liked the writing, the characters, and the story. I'm going to read the rest of the series. And it is set in Florida!

Rita
I found the book a little dull but persevered until the end. It's easy reading but a little clumsily written.
Old_airman
This is more like a 3.5 than a 3. Good plot. Good read. Plot twist at end that was unexpected.
Pennie Bell
Interesting detective with unexpected plot twists. Loved setting is in Florida.
Katie
It was an alright book. Quick read...but I definitely skimmed a lot.
Jill
okay book. Prefer the Quinn series.
William
Orlando crime fiction.
William McNelis
William McNelis marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Sweetmunch99
Sweetmunch99 marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Lisa V
Lisa V marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • Act of Betrayal (Britt Montero, #4)
  • The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep (Evan Tanner, #1)
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
  • The Assassin in the Greenwood (Hugh Corbett, #7)
  • Murder in the House (Capital Crimes, #14)
  • The Killing Man
  • Shark River
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • A Tan and Sandy Silence (Travis McGee #13)
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Family Honor (Sunny Randall, #1)
  • Gold Coast
  • Manhattan Is My Beat (Rune, #1)
  • Iron & Velvet (Kate Kane, Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • The Widower's Two-Step (Tres Navarre, #2)

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Fred Carver (10 books)
  • Scorcher (Fred Carver, #2)
  • Kiss (Fred Carver, #3)
  • Flame (Fred Carver, #4)
  • Bloodfire (Fred Carver #5)
  • Hot (Fred Carver, #6)
  • Spark (Fred Carver, #7)
  • Torch (Fred Carver, #8)
  • Burn (Fred Carver, #9)
  • Lightning (Fred Carver, #10)
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)