Start by marking “Haiku for the Single Girl” as Want to Read:
Haiku for the Single Girl

Haiku for the Single Girl

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  49 reviews
An uproarious, uplifting, and brazenly honest celebration of the single girl's life. Unsolicited relationship advice from relatives, disastrous dates, men who wear thumb rings, and the moments of deep satisfaction when a single girl realizes that she can do whatever she wants with her time- it's all here in Haiku for the Single Girl. Reading this brilliantly incisive and w ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Haiku for the Single Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haiku for the Single Girl

Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

As I'd read a comedy poetry book before and really enjoyed it, so I jumped at the chance to review another one.

Haiku for the Single Girl does exactly what it says on the tin. It's haiku poetry about being female and single. Haiku is a form of poetry I've come to quite admire, because on the surface they seem quite simple; three lines, five syllables, seven syllables, five syllables. But that's the whole poem. And I'm rubbish at all things poetry so the
hilarious. and sadly, accurately describes my life
The singles girl's life

left this woe behind

new struggles vex me
beginning this married life
am not looking back
Beth Griffenhagen (who we'll call Griff, because, really, who can possibly say Griffenhagen?) offers an unconventional tale about looking for love.

Synopsis: Griff mixes personal story, sex in the city, haiku, and humor to craft a collection of poems that read like diary entries and e-mails from a quirky best friend. In honor of her Fabu-Haiku, I will write my review in Haiku, too.

A great book to share.

Read merrily with your friends,

Your unmarried friends...

The Good:

Griff manages in very few word
An interesting little poetry book. I like the form of Haiku poetry and wanted to see how someone would put together a book of them. I enjoyed the fact that it was a story of one girls life and trying to find a man and maybe find happiness. The way the words come together are fascinating to me. Each poem could easily stand on its own, but when put together they make a great story. The art in the book is fun too. It reminds of New Yorker magazine cartoons. They are simple, but delicate. They say s ...more
Books to the Sky
Check out more reviews at Books to the Sky.

(We received this book free or charge in exchange for an honest review.)

Since it's only 81 pages long, and had pictures, I read it in approximately 10 minutes. I did read it in ePub format, but I think it would be easier to see the illustrations in actual print.

That being said, the haiku's were quite witty and I found myself chuckling a lot while reading them. During the midst of reading them I immediately started thinking of single girlfriends who woul
This was okay. Super short and problematic at times.
I couldn't get into it because I just don't enjoy commentary on other women looking like whores and whatnot.
Some of it made me smile. No major laugh moments, but book was ruined by the problematic elements.
Hmm, this was okaaaaay. Some haikus were smirk-worthy, but it's not a particularly memorable volume. I really liked the example below which has those perfect haiku elements of being short, sweet and very precise in insight:

Solitude causes

Loneliness, yes, but also

Fits of ecstasy.

The one below is an example of what put me off in this volume.

Some advice, ladies:

When you wear wedge heels and shorts

You just look like whores.

Though poetry is very personal and usually opinionated, I kind of prefer poe
(I received this book free of charge in exchange for an honest review.)

This was a cute quick read. It took me maybe 20 minutes. I'm glad I decided to read it directly from Net Galley because I don't know if the images would have come across that great on my Kindle. I would recommend that people read this book in print.

There were quite a few times I laughed out loud. Even though I've never found myself in most of those situations I could still find the humor in them. But the ones I did relate to
Wish I read this when I was single. It was very funny and the drawings remind me of the humor in xkcd. There are times when the sentiment is sweet, and then there are times when it's pretty raunchy. There are f-bombs sprinkled liberally--which is rightfully where it should since being single can be anything but sweetness and light. Well, I should say, a single girl who doesn't mind the occasional one-night stand that is. It probably doesn't adhere to the mechanics of an authentic "haiku" but it ...more
"Solitude causes
Lonlieness, yes, but also
Fits of ecstacy."

my fav haiku from this quick read.
Jen A.
May 16, 2012 Jen A. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012

I smile to myself / Because I have a secret: / My time is my own.

Solitude causes / Loneliness, yes, but also / Fits of ecstasy.

He had a body / Like an underwear model, / So... I had no choice.

I like trysts with guys / From other countries. It's like / Stamping your passport!

As I get older, / I can hear all of my "whens" / Transform into "ifs."

I've thought about it, / And we all want the same thing: / Friends with benefits.

Also, cute illustrations throughout!
I'm not single and haven't been on the dating scene for years, but I won a copy of this book in a competition so gave it a go.

It's a short illustrated book of haiku poems, each with a quirky line-drawing to illustrate it. It's an American book (as demonstrated by some of the words used), but in many ways the single experience for women is probably universal.

The book is a quick read and raised a couple of wry smiles rather than making me laugh out loud. It would make a funny little present for so
Rachel Bussel
This is a delightful book that, in minimal words, conveys all the joys and dramas of single girl life. Griffenhagen's words paired with Cynthia Vehslage Meyers' art is whimsical and charming, extolling the joys of the "walk of shame," talking about booty calls, crushes, wistfulness, parental questions and much more. They're sweet and dirty and fun and will make single girls take heart that they're certainly not alone. Hard to pick favorites because there are so many that perfectly capture what i ...more
Lindsay Roseberry
Very funny. The illustrations make the poems!
Sandy Cox
This book was just delightful! A series of 17 syllable poems (in case you didn’t know what a haiku was) depicting all the highs and the lows of being a single lady. One of my favorites being:

“I hope that men will

Forgive me for not being

Zooey Deschanel.”

Who am I kidding? If you are reading this blog you probably know what haiku is and I have just insulted your intelligence.

A perfect gift for all of your single friends. Though please don't buy it as a gift if you're already married. Just give us a gift certificate or some body lotion instead. But Beth's haiku's are spot-on, poignant and hilarious. The only downside of this book is that you'll have it read in twenty minutes. Be sure to lend to a good friend too so that you can dish over the short, short "tales" together.

A funny book for a singleton. Read it in times of hopelessness and also in times of hope. You will relate to it while it will uplift your spirits. Definitely made me smile and even laugh out a few times. The illustrations are quite Quentin Blake-like which makes it not too cutesy but not too ugly for adults. Might inspire you to write some poetry of your own.
Funny and smart this was a fun read. I enjoyed how clever Griffenhagen is to put realistic moments of single life in haiku poems. A couple of pages keeps this off my classroom shelf, but just the format and the topic would be great to share with students.

This is a great way to spend an hour on a weekend afternoon.
Delightful, funny, and true. Haiku has never been more witty and accessible. For anyone who's single, has ever been single, or ever dated in the modern age. Gave it to my best friend for Christmas, and my mom (who's in her 60s), borrowed my copy. (Full discloser: I work for Penguin, who publishes this title).
Hilarious and spot-on
Tyler Bruns
Haiku's are amazing. And this collection is brilliat and true-feeling and to add to the deliciousness, there are corresponding sketches that bind together the fantastic word combinations. Thank you author and illistrator for the gift this work brought to my eyes and soul.
*I got this through Netgalley*
I actually think that this was a witty, cute story about how single women are in today's society. It was a short read with graphics in every short paragraph. It was insightful and manage to make me laugh trough the end.
Enjoyed this book so much I want to try and write some haiku of my own. This was a fun book to read and found myself in agreement with what I read good or bad.... being a single girl myself. : )
Some of these haikus were unfortunately spot on for me. But this book for sure was "it's funny, cuz it's true!" Anyway very enjoyable quick read. I think it could make a great gift.
This is actually a collection of Haiku about being single and a woman. They range from very relatable to very sad. It includes references to Zooey Deschanel and leggings. Total win!
What a cute book. I can see this being a good gift for a girlfriend who enjoys this type of humor. My favorite line was:

When it's bad, you think
I could be a lesbian.
Alas, oral sex.
This illustrator can do so much with just a few lines! The little poems and the pictures complemented each other and told the story of what it is like to be a single lady today.
It only takes 30 minutes or less to read, but the haiku and art are spot on. I love it so much that I keep a copy on mobile devices for downtime. Fun. Fun. Fun.
  • The ABCs of Yoga for Kids
  • Wilfair
  • Delectable (Big Sky Pie #1)
  • Soppy: A Love Story
  • Ma vie est tout à fait fascinante
  • J'aurais adoré être ethnologue
  • Hur kär får man bli?
  • Penguins with People Problems
  • Mr Squirrel & the Moon
  • Sandor slash Ida
  • Trip Trap
  • Dieu en personne
  • Leader of The Pack
  • El Héroe: Libro 1 (El Héroe, #1)
  • Born to be a larve
  • Haiku Mind: 108 Poems to Cultivate Awareness and Open Your Heart
  • Nothing by Design
  • The Last of the Live Nude Girls: A Memoir
Beth Griffenhagen was born and raised in North Carolina. She is in her late twenties and works as a PR Manager for Murray's Cheese, NYC's oldest cheese shop. Cynthia Meyers is a freelance illustrator who lives in Connecticut with her husband and two children. Her work has appeared in publications such as The New York Times and Time magazine.
More about Beth Griffenhagen...