Start by marking “Darkness & Light (A Holloway Pack Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
Darkness & Light (A Holloway Pack Story, #1)

Darkness & Light (Holloway Pack #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  236 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Jem Stonehouse, a housewife with a neurotic husband bent on keeping her in line, dreams about werewolves in, what she believes, is a bid to escape boredom.

Sean Holloway is a werewolf, living a charade within the human race, whose mind drifts to a bond he shares with a woman he hasn't met — at least, not in this lifetime.

Apart, the two are safe but live unfulfilled lives.

Published (first published June 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness & Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness & Light

3.5 Dark and Light Stars

Darkness and Light is a PRN romance novel with elements of a modern day romance.

Jemma is a housewife living in a loveless marriage. She is constantly driven to please her husband and take care of his ever whim.

"I was a happy wife and provider of food and sex."

At first her "stepford wife" behavior felt akin to a dystopian lifestyle. I almost couldn't believe that a modern women would behave in such a manner. And yet, the timeline was in fact in the present and modern wor
Jocelyn Adams
I had the awesome pleasure of getting my hands on a copy of this little beauty even before it was released. ::snicker:: Yeah, I've got connections. :) This book was a pleasure to read from cover to cover, the smooth as silk writing style, a diverse cast of characters with distinct voices and a great story that carried my interest until THE END.

J. A. Belfield did a great job with Jem. She begins as a housewife, mostly resigned to her life married to the ultimate aresehole. Once dreamy Sean comes
At the risk of sounding completely cliché…OMG! If you love Paranormal Romance and specifically Werewolves then you have got to read this book. If you love the transformation of a weak submissive woman into a strong willed woman then you have got to read this book.

I first read Fated Encounter, which takes a scene from this book and switches the point of view to Sean, and was intrigued to delve right into Darkness & Light, and I am SO glad I did! Being introduced to Sean and his point of view
Sandra "Jeanz"

Oh Wow! I never thought I would say I had found another series of books as good as the Rachel Vincent Shifter Series, or Dee Tenorio's Resurrection Series or Kelley Armstrong's Women Of The Otherworld Series but The Holloway Pack Series well and truly lives up to their standard and at time surpasses them!
I loved the historical element in the book. It's difficult to say more without giving spoliers which I refuse to do! The same historical element is dealt with in Instinct, so if you hav
Darkness & Light introduces us to the Holloway Pack and as the series title suggests….we’ve got us some werewolves. In the beginning, we met Jem – a 30something housewife to Peter – and to me she is definitely a ‘stepford wife’ - dinner done on time, nice little housework routine going on, lets her husband choose her clothes…. Basically happy to do her husbands’ bidding – boring! But when she starts having dreams involving werewolves, runs through the forest & feeling the change fro
Terri Rochenski
Good Lord have mercy. What a rush.

Not a huge paranormal romance reader, but Mrs. B grabbed my attention with the first line & swept me through to a satisfying ending like few can do.

If you thought Jacob's pack from the Twilight series was hot, well. *clears throat* The Halloway boys will ignite an unquenchable fire for more muscles, more wolves, more gnashing of teeth, more, more, more!

***** 2nd time read through review *****

This was my second time reading D&L and let me tell you - I th
I loved the idea of reincarnation - which helped the way Sean and Jem connected. I also loved the dream sequences which helped Jem to come to terms with what she was experiencing (now I understand the title )

This was a lovely alternative to the "usual" werewolf-type novels, and I thoroughly enjoyed it !!
Looking forward to the next installment - of course :)

Sue Tint
Ahhh... Jem and Sean! I have to say, I really loved this book! I am so impressed that this is J.A.'s first novel,,, it was so beautifully written. Jem is a boring housewife in a marriage without sparks. Jem is dreaming of werewolves,, one particular werewolf that she finally gets to see in her dreams, and then in reality. She finds that she and this mystery dream man, Sean, have a history.

Although the relationship between Jem and Sean was awkwardly written at first - feeling almost forced and u
Feb 03, 2012 Mara added it
Recommends it for: Jamie
Shelves: pnr
Here comes a book with no rating. But a review.

I have a real problem in giving a number of star to this novel. I did not like it, but at the same time I realize it had some real good parts. So I was torn between the 1 o 2 star that my experience rated or consider it the better book it surely is. At the end I decided to go Pilate. And in this instance I think it's fairer.

*A story that read fresh
*A good plot
*Above all, a writing style that in same pages was really lyric

--Absolutely no wor
Aug 27, 2015 Loyda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is a special read as part of the upcoming release of: Paranormal Obsessions A Boxed Set of Nine Paranormal Romances by Calinda B
Paranormal Obsessions: A Boxed Set of Nine Paranormal Romances
~~~BR with LIZ~~~

photo kelly_bey-1319727739_zpss1eypjdy.gif

I loved the fast pace of this book. Even more importantly, the emotional tug of the words was just simply astounding. To see Jem transition from a boxed-in housewife to living up what her destiny proves, it's breathtaking. Through her many trials, one thing prevails: Love.

Can't get more prettier than that.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Darkness & Light starts off with Jem married to this a$$hole named Peter. Her husband didn’t begin this story as a complete jerk but the speed at which he progressed from “there’s something off about this guy” to full-out “run for your life!” was staggering. I found it weird that it took 8 years for Peter’s crazy to surface in their marriage. Mind you, Jem seemed a little out there as well but in a wolf-like kind of way so I was ok with that. Her definition of what it
Maghon Thomas
OK, so I had heard some great things about this book as well, so I decided to buy it and jump on this band wagon as well. Boy this is a good one. Jem is in a TERRIBLE marriage, and Lord forgive me, but I would have killed him in his sleep! But, she's always had these dreams of wolves, and this one in particular, Sean, and then things get really real when she actually meets him!! This one has werewolves, witches, prophecies, awesome good guys, scary bad guys, and a seriously nutty husband, with f ...more
Keri Lake
Darkness & Light is a paranormal romance written from the perspective of Jem Stonehouse, a seemingly content housewife, married to a despicable excuse for a man, Peter. Life for Jem is predictable. Routine. That is, until sexy Sean Holloway steps into her world. What was once a mundane existence soon becomes shaken and stirred by a rambunctious group of mouthwatering, hot-bodied werewolves. Jem is forced to choose between her morals and her heart.
This book is fast-paced and engaging from th
Rebecca Hart
I finished this novel up over the long weekend, and I have to say I really enjoyed an hour or so each morning getting into Jem's head and travelling with her as she comes to terms with who she is. As she comes to believe in Nathan's fairy tale, so do we as the reader.
Just a really engaging story and a refreshing break from the glut of vampire tales out there.

Heartwarming, fiery, and romantic. One heck of a trifecta there.

4.5 of 5 stars (just cant use half stars here).

Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
This book came highly recommended from several friends and I am so glad I bought it and finally read it. J.A Belfield is an amazing author and I can't wait to read more of her work.
Sean and Jem are amazing characters and I loved their story. They have so much passion and chemistry it was stunning. I dont want to give anything away , but this book is certainly top notch and I definintely recommend it.
I fell in LOVE with this book. It's such a beautiful love story.

If I did not have to eat or sleep I would have read in one seating.

It was great seeing how Jem matured from a submissive door mat to her abusive husband to strong female alpha in control of her life.

The fight scene at the end was heart stopping and kick a** great.

Love everyone in the pack and hope to see books for all of them.
i loved this book it was amazing!!!!!!! i can not wait for book 2 in this series i just love sean and jem and ethan and josh.
So!!! I read both prequels, set in the back drop of history and it's about our furry friends the werewolves... so when I come to read Darkness & Light, imagine my surprise when the book is set in present times!!! (No, I don't read the synopsis like normal people)

What was even more surprising was it seemed to be about the same people, Jem and Sean but Jem was married to Peter - then, cleverly, the story came to light - talk about rebirth!!!!

I have to admit, reading the prequels kind of set th
D.J. Weaver
Jem is married to Peter; in a relationship that he is very satisfied with, but she is not. She has a good life, but must bow to his wishes and wants and does not always feel as if she is in control of anything in her life. Then the dreams start… Dreams that are strange, but at times wonderful, and full of Sean. But who is Sean and what does he want from Jem? She is not sure but when the dreams become overwhelming, she must find out why. Jem is thrown into a relationship and situations that she i ...more
Rarely do I read a romance novel, or any novel for that matter, and find myself with a big smile on my face the entire time I’m reading it. What can I say? I have a soft spot in my heart for hunky guys who adore everything about their better half, even when she does silly things, gets herself into trouble, and irritates the hell out of him.

Jem and Sean have lived their lives together before, and are destined to do so again and again and again. Only this time around Jem finds herself already mar
Danielle Smiley
I loved this story.

Honestly, I was a bit leary when I realized Jem was already married when she meets her soul mate. Being a happily married girl, I would have a hard time accepting the idea of her leaving her husband for another man, but Belfield does a great job of making Peter, the husband in question, horrible enough that merits Jem leaving him with or without Sean in her life.

Jem really grows and develops as the novel progresses. The Holloway pack loves and nurtures Jem, allowing her to di
To say that I'm a fan of paranormal stories would be a major understatement. I absolutely love them, and when you look at my bookshelf, that love is incredibly obvious as most of my books are of that genre. I'm not picky when it comes to paranormal creatures. I like faeries/fairies/fey (or however else you want to spell it :P), vampires, witches/wizards/sorcerers, and of course, werewolves. The series that really cemented my love for werewolves was Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld seri ...more
J. Ford
I have to say I am not a huge fan of werewolves but this story really blew me away. It was intense, funny and a delightful read from start to finish. The story is basically about a married gal, Jem, who has been having these dreams of this man name Sean. Little does she know at the time of her dreams who or what Sean is or how important he is and always has been in her life. Her journey to find out is steeped in danger and intrigue and sexual awakening.

I had a small issue with Jem jumping out of
Renée van Daalen
This novel is amazingly written!

The words Belfield used to tell her story, make you live every single chapter!
Steven Tudor
Just one word. WOW! I hope there will be more.
Darkness & Light is the first book in the Holloway Pack series. Although many characters are introduced, this book is mainly about Sean and Jem. When the story starts, Jem is married to a complete a**hole named Peter. For eight years, she has basically been a submissive housewife catering to Peter's demands and abuse. He even picked out her clothing to wear.....way to controlling. Peter is a piece of work and all throughout the book, I was wishing that horrible things would happen to him.

Webbweaver Reviews
Darkness & Light was a very absorbing read, perfect for my travel day. I lost track of the plane and was focused entirely on the story. It's just one of those books that you can't put down, and I'm very glad I read it.

However, whenever I did have to put the book down, I had a few issues with it. Jem and Sean's relationship didn't seem all that much healthier than Jem and Peter's, although it was definitely warmer and safer. For a lot of the book, I had the feeling Jem became the pack's house
⚝  Ŧáẅņá ⚝
Okay I couldn't decide between five stars or four...then realized the only reason I was going to put four stars down was because I had stopped reading the book for about four days and wasn't as emotionally involved for the last 30 pages as I had been through out the rest of the book (getting so sick that you can't even read is no fun!) in the end it would technically be 4.75 stars

So anywho, here's my review:

things I liked
The way the author pulls you into Jem's head and gets you emotionally attac
The Holloway Pack: Darkness & Light 15 18 Oct 31, 2014 02:08AM
The Holloway Pack: Darkness & Light Giveaway & Ethan Holloway Interview! 4 7 Oct 18, 2011 12:11PM
Paranormal Lovers: Darkness & Light Giveaway 1 5 Oct 18, 2011 11:04AM
  • Into The Unknown (Holloway Pack #1.5, Mimics of Rune #1.5, Lila Gray #1.5)
  • Little White Lies (Mimics of Rune, #1)
  • Changeling Moon (Changeling, #1)
  • Bound (Unleashed #1)
  • Kept (Coveted, #2)
  • Moonsong
  • Reclaiming the Wolf (Cascade Shifters, #1)
  • Pack of Lies (Red Ridge Pack, #1)
  • Therian (The Bloody Crescent, #1)
  • Claimed by the Alphas: Part Five
  • All American Wolf
  • Forbidden: Discover the Legend (Wolf Sirens, #1)
  • Lion's Share (Wildcats, #1)
  • Broken: A Paranormal Romance
  • Becoming Blood (The Becoming, #3)
  • Barely Human
  • My Enchanted Life
  • Song of the Moon (Artemis Lupine, #1)
J.A. Belfield lives in Solihull, England, with the best husband in the world, aka Mr B, a couple of back-chatting but pretty cool kids, a pooch she treats likes the baby of the house, and a couple of scrawny cats that like to vomit in unnecessary places.

Although best known for her Holloway Pack series: DARKNESS & LIGHT (July 2011, J. Taylor Publishing), INSTINCT (February2012, J. Taylor Publis
More about J.A. Belfield...

Holloway Pack (5 books)
  • Blue Moon (Holloway Pack, #2)
  • Caged (Holloway Pack #3)
  • Unnatural (Holloway Pack, #4)
  • Cornered (Holloway Pack, #5)
Blue Moon (Holloway Pack, #2) Eternal (Holloway Pack, #0.5) Instinct (Holloway Pack, #0) Make Believe Fated Encounter (Holloway Pack, #1.1)

“Fate and destiny go hand in hand. It is impossible to change our destiny. Only the path upon which we walk to reach our destination alters. If we should stray from that path, fate will take control and guide us in the right direction.” 14 likes
“My name's Sean, Jem. I'm Sean.” 10 likes