The Best Kitchen Quick Tips: 534 Tricks, Techniques, and Shortcuts for the Curious Cook

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  11 reviews
But what is a quick tip? For the editors of Cook's Illustrated it's an easier way of performing a kitchen task that either saves time or money or improves the quality of the outcome. The tip may call for an odd appliance such as a hair dryer (for smoothing chocolate frosting) or a surprising ingredient such as miniature marshmallows (placed on the ends of toothpicks to hol...more
Published December 31st 2003 by Cook's Illustrated (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Kitchen Quick Tips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Kitchen Quick Tips

Becky
I've had this book for several years and hardly looked in it. So, I finally decided that the best way to find helpful quick tips would be just to read through the entire book. That is what I suggest doing.

There are a lot of tips I would never use, but it is 834 tips, so you can't expect to be able to use all of them! However, there are definitely some that will come in handy. The book is easy to read; it is in alphabetical order and each tip has a comment about how something might be difficult a...more
Evan
Skimmed through this in about an hour; found about four or five interesting tidbits. All in all not much I would put to use unless I spent hours a day cooking.
Natalie
My super thoughtful husband got me this book and it really was so great. I read it from cover to cover just so I would know what was in it. I've used a couple of the tips already. Some were kind of no-brainer tips that I already knew, but some I would have never thought of or known. Others I wouldn't use simply because I'm not a super fancy cook, but I'm sure someone else would find them useful. Highly recommended to any cooks out there!
S
Mar 11, 2008 S rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who cook, experienced and otherwise
Recommended to S by: mother
Shelves: non-fiction
An alphabetical listing of ideas to lessen mess and make cooking easier. Contains some new and some old chestnuts (yes, we all know now to put a miniature marshmallow at the bottom of an ice cream cone. Everyone with internet got that Martha Stewart forward).

Especially useful for people making things ahead of time and freezing into individual services, as well as improvising utensils in a pinch.
S.
I'm reading the updated version of this called '834 Kitchen Quick Tips: Techniques and Shortcuts for the Curious Cook' and it's amazing. It's an alphabetical listing of tips like how to slice bok choy, peel a kiwi or use the mixer, splatter free. I wish I remembered all the tips!
Tawni
Not really what I expected. This is a book you want to just keep on hand for random things you might question, but I don't think I would ever use it.
lisa
Most of these tips were completely stupid. But I can't help but be fond of books that offer little cooking hints, even the ones that are pointless.
Very good tips, unfortunately most of them I'd seen in the magazine already, but I got the book at a 2nd hand sale so I will pass it on
Marshaferz
Yes, I read it. Over time. Wonderful tips here, with excellent illustrations. I'd expect nothing less from Cook's.
Anna
i've become a big fan of Cook's Illustrated magazine. love any reference type book that saves prep and clean up time.
Anna
Such clever ideas in this book!
Bj Henderson
Bj Henderson marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
NomdeB
NomdeB added it
Mar 05, 2014
Brian K,
Brian K, marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The New Best Recipe Baking Illustrated: A Best Recipe Classic (The Best Recipe Series) The Best 30-minute Recipe: A Best Recipe Classic (Best Recipe Series) The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook: 2000 Recipes from 20 Years of America's Most Trusted Food Magazine