Start by marking “The Chicktionary: From A-Line to Z-Snap, the Words Every Woman Should Know” as Want to Read:
The Chicktionary: From A-Line to Z-Snap, the Words Every Woman Should Know

The Chicktionary: From A-Line to Z-Snap, the Words Every Woman Should Know

The CHICKtionary is a humorous dictionary of the words and phrases women use—and what they really mean when they use them. The book corrals more than 450 terms, including some you know (uterus) and some you might not (flexting), and defines each from the perspective of a typical contemporary woman—a woman who avoids accidental pageant hair, is frenemies with her robotic ...more
Published November 18th 2011 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Chicktionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicktionary

Melissa
Feb 17, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
There are two things that I never miss an opportunity to tell my husband.

1. He's damn lucky.
2. He's damn lucky that I am not a high-maintenance girl.

Now, high-maintenance isn't among the "450+ words no woman can live without" that are included in Anna Lefler's The CHICK-tionary (although it probably should be), but that's not the point. The point is that before reading this, I never realized how lacking I am in the girly-girl department. (Girly-girl is included in The CHICK-tionary. Although I
Lara
Dec 30, 2011 Lara rated it liked it
We girls have an entire vernacular that is all our own, and the males in the room often have no idea what we are talking about when we pull it out. Just ask my poor husband, who lives in a household full of girls who, young as they are, have already come a long way towards fluency in girl-speak.

Enter The CHICK-tionary, Anna Lefler's new resource guide which includes 450+ words no woman can live without (though I must say I could live without a few of the more crass words/definitions included). T
Aug 13, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Book Description

As the subtitle states, The CHICK-tionary covers “From A-Line to Z-Snap, the Words Every Woman Should Know.” Containing 450+ words that “no woman can live without” (well, I could do without cameltoe and cankles), The CHICK-tionary is that rarest of reference books—one with attitude and a sense of humor. Organized by alphabetical order (like a real dictionary!), The CHICK-tionary is perfect for browsing for a giggle or for times when you hear a term and wonder exactly what it mean
Danielle
Nov 23, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
Still wondering how it is that women communicate in such odd and sometimes seemingly telepathic ways? Wonder no longer! Anna Lefler’s debut non-fiction novel, The Chicktionary: From A-line to Z-snap, the words every woman should know, shares the essential verbiage for communicating effectively and intelligently without looking like a “hot mess”.

This was a hysterical look at some of the terms used on an almost every day basis in my life. Yes, growing up with two sisters and no brothers I’m pretty
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Nov 15, 2011 Kathleen (Kat) Smith rated it really liked it
Can you define these terms bag hag? Dude Biffle? George Glass? Kryptonite Guy? Well then you need to pick up the handy, "Chick-tionary, From A-Line to Z-Snap, the Words Every Woman Should Know by Anna Lefler! Included in this hot pink paperback are often 450+ terms that every woman has heard but may not know what it means. This prevents you from stumbling over a reply to any of the terms listed above because you don't know what to say, because you have no clue what they are talking about.

To DE-m
Kristen
Dec 24, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
OK, so I haven't read every entry... worse, depending upon your sensitivities, this book is on the shelf in the bathroom. If it were a guy's book, say, titled PRICK-tionary you know it would be a bathroom book. (Has that been done?)

It's a perfect little break from work, with 200-word definitions of head-scratchers like:

Security Clearance, noun: A ranking scale that measures the intimacy of a friendship by the degree of personal information divulged to that friend. For example, the receptionist
Melody Schreiber
Dec 27, 2011 Melody Schreiber rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, review_copy
Anna Lefler, stand-up comedian and writer at Life Just Keeps Getting Weirder, has a fresh, intelligent sense of humor that shines in The Chicktionary. Meant as a reference book to the sometimes mystifying and always evolving language of women, Lefler’s satirical book is a barrel of laughs.

From bandeau (“From the French word meaning ‘there’s no way that’s staying up’) to clitoris (“the original ‘Like’ button”), Lefler’s book is amusing and informative, though it occasionally verges on TMI (specul
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Dec 20, 2011 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it
Ask any man and he will tell you that women have a language all their own. It's true. There are issues related to being female that are universal and understood by women of all ages, nationalities, creeds, races, whatever. You don't have to be bosom friends or even speak the same language to understand when another woman says to you, "Does this make me look fat?". This was probably my most favorite definition:

Does This Make Me Look Fat? (phrase)
A seemingly straightforward yet treacherous questio
Andrea Guy
Dec 20, 2011 Andrea Guy rated it it was amazing
Keep this book around at all times. It isn't necessary to read it through like a novel. Why? Because its really a dictionary....but of "girlie" terms, you know like Hipsters (underwear) to "Not So Fresh Feeling" (We don't need to define this for you, right?)
If you need a pick me up, just open to any page and read for a bit. Its a guarantee that in a few minutes you'll be laughing and smiling.

Its also a given that you'll know many of the words Anna defines in this book. Of course you may not know
Dec 09, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
A hilarious and fun read, this book is perfect for both the clueless man and the cosmopolitan lady. From the definition of a pencil skirt (who knew that it was also called an H-line?!) to the more funky "fauxga", Anna Lefler doesn't disappoint with a cleverly original collection of words every woman should know. So funny!
Lecea
Aug 30, 2016 Lecea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I believe I laughed most of the time that I read this. There were some terms about which I had never heard and some that I knew all too well. I think the title captures the book nicely....but, as a teenage girl, I felt uncomfortable about some entries.
Susan
Dec 18, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
This is a totally fun and funny list of all those terms women use ( or not so much...) and make part of their lives and use to communicate with other women. The writing is light and witty. I finished it on a plane flight and everyone turned to see what was making me laugh!
Lori Tatar
Dec 13, 2011 Lori Tatar rated it really liked it
Funny, funny, funny...and an absolute necessity. "The Chicktionary" is bound to be the ultimate must-have accessory. Accessorize today!
Nancy
Dec 03, 2011 Nancy added it
Sara Strand
Jul 14, 2012 Sara Strand rated it it was amazing
I will tell you I normally don't love books meant to be funny. I also don't really like jokes or when people are intentionally trying to make me laugh. It's never funny and I think it's dumb.

But I LOVED this book. I loved it because I can relate to it, because I say all of these things, and it's like I'm chatting with my biffle about these things. Yeah, that's right- I use the word "biffle" and if you don't know what that is you are A) a loser without a biffle and B) probably not a woman. In ca
Chick Lit + Wine
Diffuse the family tension this holiday season with this laugh-till-you-pee pick from author and comedian Anna Lefler. If you lack retail endurance (the ability to shop and/or browse for the long haul, p. 168) grab this book and call it a day. (Or win a copy - keep reading!)

"The CHICK-tionary" is a must read for everyone from the casual reader, to the clueless boyfriend. Filled with 450+ definitions, Lefler's book is a guidebook to navigate world of women. Here are a few of my favorites (abridge
Jean Oram
Feb 08, 2013 Jean Oram rated it it was amazing
So far this book has been waaaaaaaay too funny. I just about spit out my lunch while reading her definition of "foreplay" and have realized that I don't have "retail endurance."

Lucky me, I won this on the website Chick Lit and Wine. So glad I did! Perfect pick-me-up for a blah winter day.

I've been picking it up about once a day since winning it to read a definition or three. It awards me a daily smile and chuckle--everyone needs a book like this. (It's also informative as well as humourous. I kn
Eliza Fayle
Jan 06, 2013 Eliza Fayle rated it really liked it
The CHICK-tionary is informative and hilarious. Anna irreverently pokes fun at our girl speak, digging below the literal meaning to all emotional responses crammed into each word and phrase.

This is a great book to have lying around the house, and would make an absolutely fantastic gift for the girlfriends in your life. You can create a game of incorporating one new CHICK-tionary word into your conversations each day. Bonus points for each bewildered look you create in a man.

To read the full revi
Peyton Price
Aug 06, 2016 Peyton Price rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I especially love it when I'm in limbo, waiting for a child at a practice, lesson, or other parent-trapping activity. I launch the Kindle app, open the Chicktionary to any page, and stare down at my smartphone with a very serious face. The other parents think I'm busy and should not be interrupted. But inside, I'm laughing. So hard. They think I'm crying. And they leave me alone. I love this book.
Pauline
Sep 17, 2015 Pauline rated it it was amazing
If you want laugh out loud funny, this is it. Anna Lefler is hilarious and her words, along with the descriptions, had me flat out losing it in public. Hint: Not the best book to read while sitting in the church education building while the child attends Sunday School classes. Otherwise? I;ll read anything else Anna Lefler writes.
Bridget Sampson
Jan 06, 2013 Bridget Sampson rated it it was amazing
So funny! Loved it! You must read it - be ready to laugh your butt off. And I know the author - she's the real thing - not only hysterically funny, but a very nice, down-to-earth person you'd be lucky to meet.
Inspired Kathy
Nov 21, 2011 Inspired Kathy marked it as to-read
Author Interview & Book Giveaway ends 12/15
Meleah Hawthorne
Meleah Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Alycia
Alycia rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Lisa Steinke
Lisa Steinke rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2011
Vera Tjahyono
Vera Tjahyono rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2011
Erin Margolin
Erin Margolin rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Shannon MacLeod
Shannon MacLeod rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2013
  • Don't Sing at the Table: Life Lessons from My Grandmothers
  • We All Wore Stars: Memories of Anne Frank from Her Classmates
  • The Joke's on Me
  • A Walk in the Snark
  • Forgetting English
  • Tales from My Hard Drive
  • In Her Wake: A Child Psychiatrist Explores the Mystery of Her Mother's Suicide
  • Camp Nine
  • One Bird's Choice: A Year in the Life of an Overeducated, Underemployed Twenty-Something Who Moves Back Home
  • Things Go Wrong For Me (when life hands you lemons, add vodka)
  • Textual Healing
  • How to Love an American Man: A True Story
  • Broetry
  • 33 Days: Touring In A Van.  Sleeping On Floors.  Chasing A Dream.
  • A Breast Cancer Alphabet
  • It Could Be Worse, You Could Be Me
  • It's Hard Not to Hate You: A Memoir
  • Centuries of June
Anna Lefler is a humorist, comedy writer, and author of the novel PRESCHOOLED. She is also the author of the humor book The Chicktionary: From A-Line to Z-Snap, The Words Every Woman Should Know, which The Chicago Tribune called "a wry celebration of modern femininity." She was a staff writer on the Nickelodeon/NickMom TV show "Parental Discretion with Stefanie Wilder-Taylor," where she also ...more
More about Anna Lefler...