Day One and Beyond

Day One and Beyond

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Your teacher training may have provided sound theory and a collection of instructional techniques, but it's often the practical details that can make day-to-day survival difficult in your first days, weeks, and years of teaching. For new teachers or those just new to the middle-school environment, here is an invaluable resource from the author of Meet Me in the Middle that...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Stenhouse Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Day One and Beyond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day One and Beyond

Amy Gonzalez
Sep 29, 2012 Amy Gonzalez rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle school teachers (new and old)
Shelves: teaching
I just wrote a blog post that I owe to this book. Here is an excerpt:

At the end of last year, I bought Day One and Beyond to help plan my vision for next year. The beginning of the book offered a bit of wisdom that is my main motivating mantra for the year:

“… allow yourselves to be 200 percent better at teaching during your second year of service instead of battering yourselves during your first year of teaching for every mistake you’ve made (Wormeli, 2003).”

If you want to read more about this...more
Kjerstin
Lots of great ideas. I would recommend this book to colleagues.
Andrea
Good Book, if you are a teacher and looking for some summer reading to freshen up your art... this would be helpful. Creative ideas for setting up our class rooms and the atmosphere. Some ideas are not necessarily doable, but one can sort through the thoughts and apply thsoe that fit you.
Catherine
Wonderful. Wormeli writes with specificity and compassion about the challenges of teaching middle school. His advice, more than any other authors' on the subject, stayed with me throughout my first year.
Stacey
Good ideas--this is definitely geared toward middle school. I started reading it when I thought I would be teaching 6th--but now it looks more like 4th...

I still took a lot of good notes.
I enjoyed this book while in grad school and think that most first year teachers should read it too. There are some ideas that I wish would work but definitely don't in my school.
Tammy
Primarily for teachers in their first couple of years of teaching, this book still offers some practical tips for more seasoned teachers...with Rick Wormeli's humor, of course.
Danielle
I wish I had read this last summer (before my first year of teaching), however, it still had a bunch of advice and tips that I'll use this coming yeat.
Tani
A great resource for secondary ed teachers! Wormeli gives a lot of practical solutions and ideas, along with theory behind them.
Mindy Hildebrand
Really for new teachers, but has some good reminders and fresh ideas. :)
Mary
Great book for new teachers!
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kathy Kugler-meehan
Kathy Kugler-meehan marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jennifer Berry
Jennifer Berry marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Dgalla
Dgalla marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Bethany Lockhart
Bethany Lockhart marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fair Isn't Always Equal Meet Me in the Middle: Becoming an Accomplished Middle Level Teacher Differentiation: From Planning to Practice, Grades 6-12 Summarization in Any Subject: 50 Techniques to Improve Student Learning Metaphors & Analogies: Power Tools for Teaching Any Subject