Start by marking “The Perfect Puppy” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Puppy

The Perfect Puppy

Here is the perfect book for puppy owners and would-be puppy owners who want to know how to bring their puppy up to be a happy, well-behaved, friendly adult dog. The book gives you the latest behavioral information and emphasizes prevention.
Published March 19th 1996 by Readers Digest (first published March 13th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Puppy

Judie Holliday
Dec 13, 2011 Judie Holliday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Like most books of its kind, this one makes you feel that you can have a lovely, happy and well behaved pup with a little work. Once pup arrives and life gets busy, the book reminds you of everything you should be doing and aren't. By the end, I was wondering if just having a dog that will sit when asked isn't about all I could wish for. Good advice, easier said than done. My pup, I fear, will never be perfect.
Jenny
Apr 14, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
A new puppy is coming to our home. Being a first-time pet owner, I wanted to be well-prepared for what is to come. I purchased "It’s Me or the Dog" by Victoria Stilwell, "The Whole Dog Journal Handbook of Dog and Puppy Care and Training", by Nancy Kerns, and this book, The "Perfect Puppy". Of the three, I liked Stilwell’s the best and "The Perfect Puppy" the least. Having read the other two first, perhaps I found this one lacking in new information. It is still a great resource. Chapter sixteen, ...more
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science, dogs
I really liked the author's take on training. It goes along well with my philosophy in raising kids - understanding what is happening in their natural development, making use of critical periods of development (in dogs there is one for socialization), etc. I liked her method of completely avoiding punishment due to the fact that the dog doesn't understand and so it isn't helpful. Lots of great things to keep in mind - like "winning" more games than you "lose" when playing games like tug of war w ...more
C
Apr 29, 2014 C rated it really liked it
Covers most of the basics and gives you a great foundation to build your training on, but don't rely on this book alone! The biting tips in particular are not enough to keep my little guy from tearing at my ankles and fingers but the frequency of his "attacks" have decreased since using the tips in this book. The socialization programme in the appendix is proving to be a fantastic help and ticking off new items each day helps to make our walks more fun, especially since my dog isn't allowed out ...more
Jackie
Sep 13, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Simple yet effective techniques that really work.
BookScout
Nov 13, 2009 BookScout rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all new puppy owners
Shelves: dog-lit
The Bible for new puppy owners.

This book is indispensible for those aquiring a puppy for the first time. It prepares you for the stages you will face in your puppy's development from getting him home to adolescence and beyond.

The chapter on the correct use of a crate was life changing for us as it led to our latest puppy becoming housetrained within a week, this was unheard of with my previous dogs.

Gwen Bailey places emphasis on the importance of socialization, leadership, controlling games, pr
Maureen
Jul 23, 2015 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this was a very useful resource for a first time puppy adopter. I'm more thankful for the detailed instructions than the vague, dog raising philosophy bits- it seems silly to include these in a dog training or instruction book, because anyone that doesn't believe in proper dog training or take the time to do it isn't exactly the kind of person that would read an instructional book. Anyway, this book was mostly helpful and well ordered.
Jessica Horne
Apr 19, 2015 Jessica Horne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015_books
Excellent book! I didn't realize how little I knew and understood about puppies until I read this. So easy to read and understand and it makes so much sense. I feel much more confident about raising my puppy than I did before reading this. I love the charts and step by step instructions with pictures.
Sarah Asp
Apr 10, 2014 Sarah Asp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent reference guide that is going to help us to raise a happy and well behaved dog. It's currently been hijacked by my 12 year old who also wants to help train our new puppy! The pictures are extremely helpful.
Pam
I read this book back when I got a puppy that I would raise by myself for the first time. It gave me great information which I used and I had hardly any problems with my dog. He turned out to be a great, well rounded, dog.
Jim
Jul 19, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
An excellent book with great tips on how to raise a puppy. We'll find out how good it is shortly since Paisley is due any day now.
Jessica
May 17, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was very helpful that she had step by step directions for teaching commands.
Ali
Sep 15, 2014 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
now just putting it into practice....yay!
Molly
Oct 12, 2012 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This is a good puppy training book with a lot of good ideas. But someone else reviewed this book and said life gets busy, and then this book just reminds you what you should be doing but aren't. And I feel that sums up my experience perfectly: if I can just get Copernicus to stop biting people and sit when I tell him to, I am going to consider that a win.
Jake
Nov 25, 2012 Jake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
From what I've read so far, she doesn't think it should ever be necessary to verbally reprimand a dog, and to just distract them from behavior problems instead with toys. To me, that seems like asking the puppy to act out in order to get a toy. I think this would work great with a sensitive and submissive dog, but isn't a one-size-fits-all guide.
Denise
Oct 18, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
An absolute essential if you're considering adding a puppy to your family. This book has helped to impress on my children that there is real work involved in bringing up a puppy responsibly, but at the same time given us lots of practical advice and ideas particularly regarding behavioural training. Hopefully Bella the Border Terrier will agree!
Laura Borger
Jul 09, 2009 Laura Borger rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Easy, well organized, super informative & lots of it actually has worked on training Penny. She's only had about 4 accidents in the house and at 12 weeks is sitting, stays, fetches, doesn't enter through a doorway before we do, and is learning to come and how to take good walks. Helped us tremendously!
Vic
Nov 11, 2015 Vic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally had a chance to complete this book as I have been busy with uni for the last couple of months. A good read with good advice for a first time puppy owner :) the advice at puppy school / obedience school has followed the same structure which is all about positive reinforcement. Love it :)
Andrea
Oct 08, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
this book is a must read for a new dog owner! it has everything you need to know to train a dog properly. it even has a chapter at the end that talks about the dog's "adolescent phase" which most books don't even touch but was so nice to know that my dog's acting out all of a sudden was normal!
Kat
Oct 22, 2014 Kat rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs
Very useful book.
Subversified
Jul 23, 2007 Subversified rated it really liked it
Shelves: hobbies
I still pick up this book for ideas and reassurance, and my puppy is now over a year old. It's great for real beginners who haven't had a puppy in their household before.
Safitri
Dec 05, 2014 Safitri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doglife
A very useful how-to that keeps undoing the idea of perfection as it teaches you about building a healthy, long-term relationship with a companion dog.
Stefano  Pauli
Feb 18, 2015 Stefano Pauli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book

Structured and full of quality content. I have purchased other books but this is by far the best!

Highly recommended!
Caroline
Jan 12, 2014 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and will be heavily used over the next few months..
Kim
Jul 12, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: factual
Great book full of really practical tips and a good motivator for puppy training. Best advice, don't despair and be consistent!
Mandy Moody
Sep 10, 2012 Mandy Moody rated it really liked it
Good stuff. Very helpful...when I remember to do what it says!
Larrie
Extremely helpful for bringing up a new Puppy
Kerstin
Jul 04, 2009 Kerstin rated it really liked it
A useful book for new puppy owners.
Ellen C
Feb 03, 2012 Ellen C rated it liked it
good info, very helpful
De
De rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: please add book cover from amazon 2 12 Aug 11, 2015 06:37AM
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Aggressive Dog
  • The Beginner's Guide to Dog Agility
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • Golden Retrievers for Dummies
  • The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation
Gwen worked for a leading UK national animal welfare charity from 1988-2002 and pioneered the use of dog behaviour knowledge in the rehoming of unwanted animals.

She was the first person to be appointed by a national animal welfare charity as a full time Animal Behaviourist, eventually heading a team of behaviourists.

Gwen has successfully solved behaviour problems in thousands of rehomed dogs, help
More about Gwen Bailey...