Start by marking “Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)” as Want to Read:
Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)

Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  5,905 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews
A great big hug in book form, Snuggle Puppy is a year-round valentine from parent to child. It is bright, chunky, a pleasure to hold, and has a die-cut cover that reveals a glimpse of the joy inside before it's even opened. Best of all, it's packed, of course, with pure Boynton: her inimitable language, her inimitable illustrations, her inimitable sense of fun.

OOO, Snuggl
Board book, 24 pages
Published May 22nd 2003 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Snuggle Puppy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snuggle Puppy!

Loraine
May 16, 2014 Loraine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
SUMMARY: A great big hug in book form, "Snuggle Puppy" is a year-round valentine from parent to child. It is bright, chunky, a pleasure to hold, and has a die-cut cover that reveals a glimpse of the joy inside before it's even opened. Best of all, it's packed, of course, with pure Boynton: her inimitable language, her inimitable illustrations, her inimitable sense of fun.

REVIEW: The rollicking, rhythmical rhymes of this book are ear and eye catching. The refrain just wraps a little one in a del
Matt Marshall
Jul 18, 2016 Matt Marshall rated it liked it
If free love is your thing, Snuggle Puppy is for you.

Kids are undoubtedly going to love the silliness of the book, but somebody please send me an audio or video link for how in the name of ZEUS' BUTTHOLE you are supposed to sing the song. Because every time I try, I feel like I'm speaking English for the very first time in my life. It feels so choppy and wrong. I can't be alone in this. It's very off-putting, especially considering that you sing the damn song at least a couple times during the
Nancy
Dec 11, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A friend of mine gave this to my grandaughter. The first time I read it I thought it was kind of silly, but over time I realized this is the perfect book for a very little child. It is short. They book itself is sturdy. Small children love the simple story and it gives adults a great excuse to express their love for a special child in their life.
Bam
May 10, 2016 Bam rated it it was amazing
Okay, THIS one is our favorite! I made up a tune to go with the words and my grandson runs to get the book whenever he hears me singing it. Gets grandma hugs and kisses every time. :-)
Kenneth
Jan 24, 2017 Kenneth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
You cannot go wrong reading a Sandra Boynton. You can make this book interactive. Sing a long and kiss a long.
kim
cute stuff
Melanie
Dec 29, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I have no idea what the "real" tune is supposed to sound like, but I read/sing this to my son every night before bed. He's 6-months old and gets the biggest grin as soon as I start reading. He knows when the big smooches are coming and giggles every time. He gives it 5 stars!
Danielle Ezold
Oct 02, 2016 Danielle Ezold rated it it was ok
Bizarre. I felt as though I needed to be under the influence to read this.
Renee
Feb 17, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This review consists of two parts: 1. my review (Mom's) and 2. my son's review of this book (he's 5).

SON SAYS:

I find this book interesting because the Mommy dog talks to her Baby dog and the dogs stand up on their two feet but they don't actually do that in real life. My Mommy sings this song to me and I like it. They bake cookies in the book and the puppy likes them. The Mommy dog must really love her puppy because she keeps saying it throughout the book. I like the kisses inside the book and
Erin
Oct 25, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
"A great big hug in board book form" says the description. Let me reassure you, my husband likes this book so it can't be as cheesy as it sounds.

We started this book with my son when he was about six months old, and it kept his attention well because most of the book is a song. If you care about these things, there's apparently a youtube video to teach you the tune. I think it's more fun to make it up as you go, although then the poor kid might get confused as mom, dad, and nana each have a diff
Crystal
Dec 13, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing
This book is THE best. It is a very special book for my youngest and me. It makes my heart melt and I really can't even put it into words what this book means to me. I miss reading it to him every night now that he is getting older.

Edited to add: I'm not sure why people have issues with the "singing." Talk about overthinking something! I do it in a kind of sing-songy voice--akin to a rhythmic chant, not with an actual melody. Think of how you would read a piece of poetry out loud. If you read a
Aneesa
Dec 14, 2016 Aneesa rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I prefer the Boynton stories to the Boynton songs.
Angie
Jan 18, 2013 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "A great big hug in book form, "Snuggle Puppy" is a year-round valentine from parent to child. It is bright, chunky, a pleasure to hold, and has a die-cut cover that reveals a glimpse of the joy inside before it's even opened. Best of all, it's packed, of course, with pure Boynton: her inimitable language, her inimitable illustrations, her inimitable sense of fun.
OOO, Snuggle Puppy of mine! Everything about you is especially fine. I love what you are. I love what you do. Fuzzy little
Craig
Sep 16, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it
A solid 4* on this one, but I don't know how you can give this 5*. I had some difficulty with this since they don't give you any notes or a tune to go with the words. (It is called "a little love song") I have to question their choice of food in the graphics. They maybe should have gone with fruit like grapes, apples or bananas instead of sugary chocolate chip cookies. (although they were homemade) And when the snuggle puppy mom is swinging her puppy by it's front paws, I just kept thinking of m ...more
Stephanie
Nov 24, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Our almost-17-month-old thinks this book is the most magical thing she has ever laid eyes on. She loves books, but something about this one just captivates her. She wants to have it read to her over and over, sits down and flips through it, and wants it in her crib with her so she can 'read' to herself. She has a lot of books, some she gravitates to more than others, but she immediately fell in love with this one and smiles every time she sees it. And from mom's point of view, it's pretty darn c ...more
Max
Jul 25, 2011 Max rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with young children
Shelves: childrens
This is probably my favorite book to read to my kids. My daughter loved it from the time she was about 18 months old until she was 4. My son started enjoying it around the same time.

It's great because there are certain parts where the kids recognize the letters and know what to say (OOOOOOOOO means it's time to howl). Like most Boynton books, this one is told with a fun rhythm that keeps the kids enthralled and interested. You can read it multiple times and the kids don't get bored with it. If y
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2009 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
This is Charlotte's current favorite book. The whole book is rhyming, and it is supposed to be a song, so both Daddy and I made up our own tune for when we read it to her. Even though there aren't many pages, and there seems to be a higher word count per page than a lot of Charlotte's other favorites, she still loves it. I think it's a combination of us singing it to her, and that it is full of Sandra Boynton illustrations.

Since we started reading her this book, Charlotte walks around singing,
Robert Beveridge
Apr 15, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton, Snuggle Puppy! (Workman Publishing, 2003)

Another book (viz. Barnyard Dance) adapted from a song on the Philadelphia Chickens album Boynton released in 2002. It's relatively new to the household (a couple of weeks), so I haven't had a chance to see what's going to happen over time, but for the moment it's still high up on the list of bedtime rotation books—the usual cute illustrations, though I need to get round to listening to the song to find out how the rhythm's supposed to wor
Racquel
Feb 03, 2014 Racquel rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Sabrina
Feb 01, 2010 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
This is one of our favorite books. I started reading it to my son when he was three or four months old. He is 6 now, and my daughter is 4, and they both still love this book. I made up my own little tune to it and sometimes they just ask me to "sing the Snuggle Puppy" song at random times throughout the day. It creates opportunities for kisses, hugs, and giggles -- what could be better?

Sandra Boynton is the BEST author of children's books for this generation.
Mommywest
Feb 21, 2012 Mommywest rated it really liked it
Cute little board book perfect for reading with your own little Snuggle Puppy. Illustrations show a mom and her little Snuggle Puppy going through their day together while she "sings" to her little one how much he (or she) is loved.

I adore Sandra Boynton's books, and I found that this book would have been even better for me and my kids if the actual tune for this song was included in the book. Check out her "Philadelphia Chickens" book and CD (which is rated "for all ages, except 43")for the ac
Suzanne Kunz Williams
A fun book that celebrates the love parents have for their children. A great book to read to our children to remind them how much we love them for just being them.
Tortla
Feb 10, 2014 Tortla rated it did not like it
Too gimmicky. It demands to be read a certain (over-the-top) way, tries too hard to be cute, and lacks poetry. And the illustrations were of a bubbly, color-in-the-lines style that only served to compound my frustration with the imagination-limiting book. I would have preferred a little book that just had the words "snuggle puppy" over and over, with fluffy puppy illustrations accompanying each one.
Lyndsey
Mar 14, 2012 Lyndsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-o-approved
I bought this book for my oldest when she was tiny... and she never had the patience for it or any other book! I LOVED it so much and I forced her to sit (sit being a relative term for my youngest...) countless times. I sang it on the way to daycare... and throughout my day. Even now, OH SNUGGLE PUPPY OF MINE is ringing in my ears. Another fun book for me! I hope my youngest will enjoy it now that she is getting into books!
Kat
Dec 09, 2016 Kat rated it liked it
I would give this book 3.5 stars but that is not an option. It was heart warming and I loved the instructions to the person reading the story out loud. But I felt that the rhythm of the rhyme was off and that knocked off half a star. Still absolutely worth reading especially to one of your snuggle puppies.
Meg McGregor
May 15, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-reads
This is my favorite Sandra Boynton book of all and it is sure to be a favorite with readers of all ages.

Momma Puppy tells her "Snuggle Puppy" how much she loves him and "that everything about you is especially fine!"

What better way to let the little "snuggle puppy" in your life how loved and special he or she is!
The Notorious
Nov 11, 2010 The Notorious rated it it was amazing
Once again Sandra Boynton draws her reader into a complicated web of government cover-ups and edge of your seat action! Throwing all care and concern for his own well-being, our protaganist dives head first into the world of back alley deals and empire destroying espionage. . . Actually, it's really just about a fuzzly little snuggle puppy and how much his Mom loves him. This book rules.
Jeffrey
Oct 25, 2011 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
A book that I used to read to my son when he was much much younger, but he elected to pick it off the shelves and read it to me.

It's a fun song, really, sung from the perspective of a mother singing to her child. It encourages the performer to be loud, rambunctious, and affectionate. And really, you can't go wrong with that.
Heidi-Marie
Sing this one to any tune and its just too cute and silly.

5/14/14 I forgot to bring in my copy for "Miss Heidi's Mom" preschool theme. So I got the Philadelphia Chickens book and read the poem/song from there. The kids really enjoyed this, especially as I began it with asking if they like to give their moms snuggles, and that led them to telling me what they gave their moms for Mother's Day.
WMO
Aug 25, 2008 WMO rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children (infants/toddlers)
This has been a favorite as long as I can remember. There's a song within the book but you, the reader, must make up your own tune. A few months ago at dinner we were with some other parents who also have this book, and we all went around the table sharing our "Snuggle Puppy" song. Same words, but all very different tunes. A clever one, that Sandra Boynton!
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • That's Not My Monkey...
  • Daddy Kisses
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Quiet Loud (Leslie Patricelli board books)
  • Tails
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • Gossie
  • Bright Baby Animals
  • You Are My I Love You
  • Everywhere Babies
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...