Start by marking “My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training” as Want to Read:
My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training

My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
America's most beloved dog trainers are back with brand-new training techniques in the definitive guide to raising a happy, obedient puppy. Photos.
Published October 16th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Smart Puppy (TM), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Smart Puppy (TM)

Kristen Smith
Jun 10, 2012 Kristen Smith rated it really liked it

I can't give this 5 stars yet since we don't currently have a dog to try these training techniques out on... But they seem relatively easy to follow and it was a quick, fun read! It also made me very anxious to now get a puppy so I can get to work!
Adam K.
Dec 02, 2014 Adam K. rated it really liked it
I really just skimmed this book, mostly to see how much I may have screwed up my current dog by not having ever trained her. The truth? Not much. She has far fewer complexes than many dogs. We really lucked out. But this book should come in really handy whenever we get a new dog...or if I have to train the neighbor's dog that keeps jumping the fence, practically living in our yard, chewing up our kids' toys, and digging holes around our trampoline.
Ashley
Aug 08, 2007 Ashley rated it it was ok
Although I'd heard great things about this book, I wasn't too impressed with it. Mostly, I think the organization of the book threw me off - it didn't seem to be there at all. I just couldn't understand how it was organized (or more importantly, why it was organized that way). I compared the information in this book to the other two dog-training books I've been reading (Good Owners, Great Dogs and How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With), and the information seems to be on par with that found in ...more
Caralee
Oct 05, 2009 Caralee rated it really liked it
I really like this book, as it offers some unique methods and games to training. It breaks dog training up into different levels and sections such as Trust, Touch, etc. It even includes a DVD that could potentially be useful, however, the dog trainers are a little over the top happy for me. The one thing I wish would have been more thoroughly discussed is the order to do the training/games and how to know when to move on to the next level in the sections.

Overall, a nice approach to dog training.
Pamela D. Pope
Mar 14, 2008 Pamela D. Pope rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new pet owners, pet owners who need traning,
Recommended to Pamela D. by: talk radio show
There is an exceptionally funny and embarrasing story behind how I came to learn about this book and speak with the author. I'll tell it to you some time. We adopted a 9 month old 74 pound black lab mix. I had not been around dogs since my childhood and he was a BIG puppy. The book was great and helped our family work with our dog and his issues instead of returning him to the shelter. My copy came with a DVD which is great for addressing specific problems quickly and for those who are visual le ...more
Stef
Aug 22, 2008 Stef rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogbooks
An indispensible guide to having a puppy. I love how there are actual lessons to practice with your pup. Even if you only do 1/4 of the exercises, you can see how much your dog appreciates the guidance. Also, the tone of the book made me look forward to working with my puppy. My fav. advise that has kept me motivated to work with charlie is to avoid the 4 "s"'s when describing him - sneaky, stubborn, stupid or spiteful. Just think of him as being confused! Yelping helped alot for nipping.
Kimberly
Mar 20, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book might be great if you have a larger breed dog, but for mid-size to smaller it is only vaguely useful. Also the organization of the book is illogical and confusing, referencing things way further into the book. The authors should follow the progression of problems with age and include their solutions at that time. I would not recommend this book to anyone. By the time I read this book, I could have looked online for a multitude of solutions.
klm4Bostons
Sep 21, 2014 klm4Bostons rated it liked it
I loved loved loved Good Owners Great Dogs-- fabulously humane methods of understanding dogs so we can train together successfully. This book was a bit on the disappointing side--BUT the DVD that came with it: worth every penny of the cost of the book. AMAZING pups being trained in the necessary basics in minutes. Dogs are so smart. Now, if owners had half the brains and even a quarter of the heart that dogs do, we'd all be in a better place.
Nancy
Aug 28, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
There are some good things in here: You get what you pet and you raise what you praise. Get to 'Good!'

Overall, some things I agree with, a lot that I don't. A little too 'precious' with all the cutesy names. I think they were trying to come up with catchy names that would make it easier to remember training aspects, but it was too much for me.

I can't endorse a book that says pronged collars are good for certain situations.
Kendra
Nov 27, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it
This is a great book for new puppy owners! Not all of the information will be pertinent to your specific puppy as it is laid out by puppy personality, age, and training level, but the layout is easy to navigate. Even if you don't have time to read the whole book, you can learn a lot by devoting a small amount of time to this book. There is a very positive vibe throughout, even when discussing your puppy's(our your) mistakes.
Shauna
May 13, 2010 Shauna rated it really liked it
though i am not currently in ownership of a puppy --or a dog for that matter-- i keep hanging on to my dreams. someday.....when i do go that direction and once again at least take on the foster care side of dog ownership, this book will be a treasure in helping me to get through sticky situations, and tackle common dog problems. it's a real piece of gold for those headed towards adding a new puppy to their home. great advice!
Amy
Jan 13, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
So, I'm not really done reading this. At this point it will be more of a reference title, than one I'll read.

I like the advice. I like the authors' combination of physical discipline (leash tugs), praise rewards, treat rewards, and play rewards. We owners need to spend absorb more of the information, there is quite a bit in a very small space, but it's all geared to having a happy, healthy dog.
Sumiko
Jun 15, 2012 Sumiko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
If you're going to get just one dog book for a new puppy, I'd recommend this one. Positive approach, fun training games, good ideas for commands to teach your puppy so she'll grow into a well mannered dog with good self control. I also recommend "Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog" by Ian Dunbar.
Bob
Sep 30, 2013 Bob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The main book that I used to train my dog. She turned out perfectly well behaved in no time. The training they advocate in this book is something you can easily incorporate into your everyday life.
Carrie
Jan 21, 2009 Carrie rated it it was amazing
If you're getting a puppy, get this book and read it cover to cover. And read it BEFORE you get the puppy. It will help you know what to expect and what you are in for.
Anna
Jul 07, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Great resource, going to be referencing it for quite some time I think. Gives training "games" and helpful hints. Even common problems and how to avoid those.
Andrea
May 03, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: one-more-time
One more pass through this one in preparation for possible new 'family member' this year! Great practical book! Unfortunate title :-)
Megan
Jul 31, 2007 Megan rated it liked it
At first i hated this book because I thought it was too complicated. But if you pick and choose, it's not so bad.
Kelly
Oct 12, 2007 Kelly rated it really liked it
well, all the tips iread in the other puppy book do not work for brophy...thisone's already helping!
Leigh
Jul 21, 2011 Leigh rated it really liked it
Great info book about puppies. We keep referring back to it!
Amy
Dec 31, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Kilcommons is great--my favorite resource for training advice.
Margie
Lots of practical dog wisdom in one place!
Courtney
May 17, 2011 Courtney rated it liked it
Generic information, nothing new
Natalie
Jan 16, 2009 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love this book!!
Suze
Jan 29, 2008 Suze rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
so far, so good.
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Christine Vassar
Christine Vassar marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Janet Colby
Janet Colby rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Neal
Neal rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • Puppies For Dummies
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • The Original Dog Bible: The Definitive New Source To All Things Dog
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Dogs for Dummies
  • Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs