Start by marking “My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training” as Want to Read:
My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training

My Smart Puppy (TM): W/DVD: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  24 reviews
America's most beloved dog trainers are back with brand-new training techniques in the definitive guide to raising a happy, obedient puppy. Photos.
Published October 16th 2006 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Smart Puppy (TM), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Smart Puppy (TM)

Kristen Smith

I can't give this 5 stars yet since we don't currently have a dog to try these training techniques out on... But they seem relatively easy to follow and it was a quick, fun read! It also made me very anxious to now get a puppy so I can get to work!
Adam K.
I really just skimmed this book, mostly to see how much I may have screwed up my current dog by not having ever trained her. The truth? Not much. She has far fewer complexes than many dogs. We really lucked out. But this book should come in really handy whenever we get a new dog...or if I have to train the neighbor's dog that keeps jumping the fence, practically living in our yard, chewing up our kids' toys, and digging holes around our trampoline.
Ashley
Although I'd heard great things about this book, I wasn't too impressed with it. Mostly, I think the organization of the book threw me off - it didn't seem to be there at all. I just couldn't understand how it was organized (or more importantly, why it was organized that way). I compared the information in this book to the other two dog-training books I've been reading (Good Owners, Great Dogs and How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With), and the information seems to be on par with that found in ...more
Caralee
I really like this book, as it offers some unique methods and games to training. It breaks dog training up into different levels and sections such as Trust, Touch, etc. It even includes a DVD that could potentially be useful, however, the dog trainers are a little over the top happy for me. The one thing I wish would have been more thoroughly discussed is the order to do the training/games and how to know when to move on to the next level in the sections.

Overall, a nice approach to dog training.
Pamela D. Pope
Mar 14, 2008 Pamela D. Pope rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new pet owners, pet owners who need traning,
Recommended to Pamela D. by: talk radio show
There is an exceptionally funny and embarrasing story behind how I came to learn about this book and speak with the author. I'll tell it to you some time. We adopted a 9 month old 74 pound black lab mix. I had not been around dogs since my childhood and he was a BIG puppy. The book was great and helped our family work with our dog and his issues instead of returning him to the shelter. My copy came with a DVD which is great for addressing specific problems quickly and for those who are visual le ...more
Stef
An indispensible guide to having a puppy. I love how there are actual lessons to practice with your pup. Even if you only do 1/4 of the exercises, you can see how much your dog appreciates the guidance. Also, the tone of the book made me look forward to working with my puppy. My fav. advise that has kept me motivated to work with charlie is to avoid the 4 "s"'s when describing him - sneaky, stubborn, stupid or spiteful. Just think of him as being confused! Yelping helped alot for nipping.
Kimberly
This book might be great if you have a larger breed dog, but for mid-size to smaller it is only vaguely useful. Also the organization of the book is illogical and confusing, referencing things way further into the book. The authors should follow the progression of problems with age and include their solutions at that time. I would not recommend this book to anyone. By the time I read this book, I could have looked online for a multitude of solutions.
klm4Bostons
I loved loved loved Good Owners Great Dogs-- fabulously humane methods of understanding dogs so we can train together successfully. This book was a bit on the disappointing side--BUT the DVD that came with it: worth every penny of the cost of the book. AMAZING pups being trained in the necessary basics in minutes. Dogs are so smart. Now, if owners had half the brains and even a quarter of the heart that dogs do, we'd all be in a better place.
Nancy
There are some good things in here: You get what you pet and you raise what you praise. Get to 'Good!'

Overall, some things I agree with, a lot that I don't. A little too 'precious' with all the cutesy names. I think they were trying to come up with catchy names that would make it easier to remember training aspects, but it was too much for me.

I can't endorse a book that says pronged collars are good for certain situations.
Kendra
This is a great book for new puppy owners! Not all of the information will be pertinent to your specific puppy as it is laid out by puppy personality, age, and training level, but the layout is easy to navigate. Even if you don't have time to read the whole book, you can learn a lot by devoting a small amount of time to this book. There is a very positive vibe throughout, even when discussing your puppy's(our your) mistakes.
Shauna
though i am not currently in ownership of a puppy --or a dog for that matter-- i keep hanging on to my dreams. someday.....when i do go that direction and once again at least take on the foster care side of dog ownership, this book will be a treasure in helping me to get through sticky situations, and tackle common dog problems. it's a real piece of gold for those headed towards adding a new puppy to their home. great advice!
Amy
So, I'm not really done reading this. At this point it will be more of a reference title, than one I'll read.

I like the advice. I like the authors' combination of physical discipline (leash tugs), praise rewards, treat rewards, and play rewards. We owners need to spend absorb more of the information, there is quite a bit in a very small space, but it's all geared to having a happy, healthy dog.
Sumiko
Jun 15, 2012 Sumiko rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: dogs
If you're going to get just one dog book for a new puppy, I'd recommend this one. Positive approach, fun training games, good ideas for commands to teach your puppy so she'll grow into a well mannered dog with good self control. I also recommend "Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog" by Ian Dunbar.
Bob
The main book that I used to train my dog. She turned out perfectly well behaved in no time. The training they advocate in this book is something you can easily incorporate into your everyday life.
Carrie
If you're getting a puppy, get this book and read it cover to cover. And read it BEFORE you get the puppy. It will help you know what to expect and what you are in for.
Anna
Great resource, going to be referencing it for quite some time I think. Gives training "games" and helpful hints. Even common problems and how to avoid those.
Megan
At first i hated this book because I thought it was too complicated. But if you pick and choose, it's not so bad.
Kelly
well, all the tips iread in the other puppy book do not work for brophy...thisone's already helping!
Leigh
Great info book about puppies. We keep referring back to it!
Amy
Dec 31, 2011 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Kilcommons is great--my favorite resource for training advice.
Margie
Lots of practical dog wisdom in one place!
Courtney
Generic information, nothing new
Natalie
Love Love Love this book!!
Suze
so far, so good.
Nicolette
Nicolette marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Kimberley doruyter
Kimberley doruyter marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
  • How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • Puppies For Dummies (For Dummies: Pets)
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • The Encyclopedia of the Dog
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • Cormac
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Through a Dog's Eyes: Understanding Our Dogs by Understanding How They See the World
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • Divine Canine: The Monks' Way to a Happy, Obedient Dog
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
Good Owners, Great Dogs Childproofing Your Dog: A Complete Guide to Preparing Your Dog for the Children in Your Life Good Owners, Great Cats Tails from the Bark Side: True Stories from the Family Dog Files Metrodog: The Essential Guide to Raising Your Dog in the City