Start by marking “The Incompleat Enchanter” as Want to Read:
The Incompleat Enchanter

The Incompleat Enchanter (The Incompleat Enchanter #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  616 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The Mathematics of Magic - it was the greatest discovery ever. Or so thought Professor Harold Shea. With the proper equations he could instantly transport himself and his friend Reed Chalmers back - or sideways - in time to all the wondrous lands of ancient myth and legend.

But slips in time were a hazard. and Shea's magic didn't always work quite as he expected. A dragon s...more
Published October 25th 1979 by Sphere Books (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about The Incompleat Enchanter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Incompleat Enchanter

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank HerbertThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Must Reads
217th out of 1,254 books — 1,286 voters
The Prose Edda by Snorri SturlusonRunemarks by Joanne HarrisThe Poetic Edda by AnonymousEaters of the Dead by Michael CrichtonThe Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland
Norse Mythology
55th out of 123 books — 247 voters

More lists with this book...

Greg Curtis
Of the incomplete enchanter books the first was clearly the best which is why I have given it five stars and the complete enchanter four. Having said that they are both excellent reads.

This is a fast paced, enjoyable fantasy adventure in several parts in which our hero, an academic of course, finds himself whisked across parallel universes simply by an act of will and belief to mystical realms from books and legends, where he can suddenly find he can do magic. Its awesome as he realises that his...more
David
This book was on my dad's shelf growing up, somewhere around where he kept Asimov, Aspirin, Heinlein, and so many others. I'm never really objective when reviewing, but here even less than normal. It's a part of my childhood. I wonder what I would think if I read it now?
Kim
THREE STARS
Will Shetterly
Loved this when I was in my teens. Dunno what I would think of it now, and would rather like to reread it someday to see. For now, consider this the rating of my young self, who might very well be wiser about these things than I am today.
Polly
Very, very funny fantasy! Some scientists discover a formula that allows them to visit alternate worlds, and they do: the world of Scandinavian Mythology, and the world of Spenser's Faerie Queen, with hilarious results!
Erik Graff
Apr 20, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: followers of the series
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This book of two connected stories is rather like Poul Anderson's A Midsummer Tempest in concept. The device employed for the transition between worlds is interesting.
Kalef
Piacevole e divertente, inoltre ti costringe a cercare i miti a cui si rifà per capire come dovrebbero andare le cose e comportarsi i personaggi incontrati :)))
Cindy
This was one that belonged to my dad and I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't get to chapter 3. I couldn't understand the language or the plot.
Nicole
Harold Shea in a parallel world or two. Nordic mythology and Spenser's Fairy Queene offer settings where magic works.
Casnewydd Hydra
A strange book in as much as written in the American vernacular, but very enjoyable all the same.
J2robins
Fabulous book!! Everything your looking for in an adventure book!!
Peter
Really fun read - a bit frustrating at times
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Susan Shank
Susan Shank marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Raphael Vincent
Raphael Vincent marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Lamont
Lamont added it
Oct 10, 2014
Doke
Doke marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Magdalena Magdalaena
Magdalena Magdalaena marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Frisko
Frisko marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
  • The Well of the Unicorn
  • Three Hearts and Three Lions
  • The Emperor of Dreams
  • The Silver Warriors (Erekosë, #2)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams
  • Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1)
  • Prince of Annwn (Mabinogion Tetralogy #1)
  • Conan the Wanderer (Conan, #4)
  • Mistress of Mistresses
  • The Rover (#1)
  • Thieves' World: First Blood (Thieves' World, #1-2)
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers
  • Maske: Thaery
Lyon Sprague de Camp, (Pseudonym: Lyman R. Lyon) was an American science fiction and fantasy author and biographer. In a writing career spanning fifty years he wrote over one hundred books, including novels and notable works of nonfiction, such as biographies of other important fantasy authors.He was widely regarded as an imaginative and innovative writer and was an important figure in the heyday...more
More about L. Sprague de Camp...
The Compleat Enchanter Lest Darkness Fall Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11) The Complete Compleat Enchanter Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)