Start by marking “Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (The Five Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:
Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (The Five Kingdoms, #1)

Henrietta the Dragon Slayer (Henrietta The Dragon Slayer #1)

**Grand Prize Winner of the 2012 California Book Fiction Challenge

Henrietta, the legendary Dragon Slayer of the Kingdom of Bleuve, can't stomach the thought of one more kill. Yet, in order to save her dying mentor, she must go on one last quest. But will misfit companions, seasickness, and an ego maniacal king derail the quest for the healing stone? And will she be able to
Published June 7th 2011 by Firewolf Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Henrietta the Dragon Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henrietta the Dragon Slayer

Beth Barany
Aug 01, 2016 Beth Barany rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: ya, fantasy, my-books
I absolutely loved this book! I wrote it! The sequel is on its way! [UPDATE] The sequel was published in 2014 and now the third and final book in the series is out now!
Mar 02, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a beautiful story about friendship, a heroine, and a quest to kill a dragon. Who wouldn't be excited? The entire concept sounded interesting and I was not at all disappointed.

The character of Henrietta was quite different from all other characters I have read about. She was very tough and stubborn. Rarely, if ever, did she show her soft side. I found myself actually liking her a lot. She was a very strong leader and hero. Usually, the main character in books I read is weak and kind
Anastasia Pergakis
Jan 22, 2012 Anastasia Pergakis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2011-reads
I’ll be completely honest and say I was a bit leary about it at first, as I’m not a fan of books about slaying dragons! I love dragons too much. BUT, never fear, no dragons were harmed in the making of this book! I have to say I really enjoyed reading this story. Henrietta is exactly the type of heroine I love to read about. She can handle her self in a fight but that doesn’t mean she necessarily goes looking for trouble either.

Henrietta is a girl that can’t stand the thought of killing one more
Dec 11, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: indie-love
This book was fun. No doubt about it. And I can definitely get behind a strong female lead, which Henrietta is. I'm just not sure if I like her much. Actually, none of the characters were overly likeable. They did begin to grow on me, but it took a long time to get there.

The book, to me, felt like it was half formed. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful vision. It just needed to go a little further. For example, I wanted to know more about why Henrietta was no longer slaying dragons. How did she
Graeme Ing
Jul 09, 2012 Graeme Ing rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fun book with all the essential elements of a YA quest adventure. We have the feisty heroine on a mission to save her mentor, a trainee witch, a noble knight and a food-obsessed bard/jester. Henrietta's mission gets more complicated as it goes along, and it is paced well. There are some good sword battles, a dragon, magic, a sea journey... all good stuff.

The characters are well described and play well off each other, and not always in a good way, which brings a constant sense of drama
Aug 09, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
I need to start this review by saying that I absolutely adore Henrietta's character! Thank you to Beth Barany for writing such a spitfire and strong female character. Henrietta isn't the type to back down from a fight, but she also won't go looking for them either. She's strong enough to know who she is. On top of that, despite her renown as a dragon slayer, Henrietta can't stomach the thought of another kill. All she wants is peace and quiet. That is, until she is swept off on another epic adv ...more
Jun 01, 2011 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HENRIETTA, THE DRAGON SLAYER by Beth Barany is a YA paranormal/fantasy.The first in the "Five Kingdoms" series.It is written with depth and details. The characters are interesting,compelling and will capture your heart. Henrietta is a young,fiery,female dragon slayer,who we never see slay a dragon,only hear of her exploits through others,but she does not want to slay dragons any longer.Franc,a knight who is very pushy,is sent by the king of Plumaria to enlist Henrietta's help to slay the dragon, ...more
Feb 25, 2011 Lunamoth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Henrietta the dragon slayer is a charming book set in a fantasy world. Henrietta has slayed many dragons in her short life and has resigned not to take any more jobs, but when a pushy knight named Franc implores her to follow him to his lands and slay Mimoto the dragon she hesitates, until she learns her mentor, Master Chen is sick and only the Dragonitas from Mimoto can save him does she embark on her quest.

The cast of Henrietta, The dragon slayer consists of Henrietta, the firey warrior woman
AJ Best
May 02, 2011 AJ Best rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Reading about Henrietta and her three unusual companions gave me pause for laugh and contemplation. Their bond went from unsure to friend so seamlessly I nearly missed it.

I truly enjoyed Henrietta learning who she was and how that fit into how people saw her now.

Franc became the hard headed male you love to love and you don't even know why.

Paulette truly scared me for a while. I didn’t know what to think of her and her fire-talent and rage.

Jaxter, always the glue that held the group together,
Stephanie Preston
Jun 24, 2016 Stephanie Preston rated it it was amazing
Well I have just finished reading the first in a series of books, this one being called "HENRIETTA,THE DRAGON SLAYER" written by BY BETH BARANY. I have to say as I started reading I got drawn into this magical world. The characters come alive in your mind. This was a very interesting and good book, it kept my interest through all the pages til the very end.To give you a little detail about the book to start you have Henrietta a tough butt kicking kind of women who is tough on the outside, but a ...more
Tash McAdam
Aug 03, 2015 Tash McAdam rated it liked it
This is a 3.5 star that could have been 4 with more rigorous developmental edits.
The story in here is one I enjoyed, it was well written and engaging. However, there were a lot of repeated actions (her stomach especially annoyed me) and the characters weren't fully realised early enough in the book. I never considered putting it down though, as I genuinely wanted to know what was going to unfold and to see the story to its conclusion. I liked the characters, but apart from Henrietta it took abo
Lost Girls
Jun 11, 2016 Lost Girls rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy, favorites
Henrietta has done much in her short 17 years. She has been in the army and earned her reputation as a dragon slayer. Now she is done with the killing and just wants to live a quiet life on her own. That is, until fate steps in and sends Henrietta on a quest. She learns that her old mentor, Master Chen, is dying and the only way to save him is to kill the dragon, Mimoto, and retrieve the Dracontias, a magical stone with the power to heal him.
Henrietta is the kind of badass heroine I love to rea
Tahlia Newland
Oct 24, 2011 Tahlia Newland rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a great book and a wonderful addition to the ya fantasy market. Henrietta is a tough cookie and a delightful character, but what is really great about this book is the way she develops as a person through the story. A nice cast of supporting characters too, all growing as the story progresses. The interactions between them are very well done. Definitely one to read if you like this genre. The story is refreshingly different to a lot of others around too.
*This book was received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

This book was AMAZING!!!!! In the blurb it is compared to Robin McKinley's The Hero and the Crown (which is a must read for fantasy lovers) and this is rightly so. Henrietta was a realistic character who faced many issues of morality throughout her quest. I really liked the character of Jaxter and liked the fact that he too seemed real; most of the time he was bubbly and happy but this was not always so. Commonly characters d
Kelly Peterson
Jul 03, 2015 Kelly Peterson rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, owned-e-copy
I received and e-copy of this book from the author which in no way influences my opinions expressed below.

This review was originally posted on Live, Love, Read.

As a whole, Henrietta The Dragon Slayer was a wonderful book. I loved Henrietta as a character and I truly enjoyed getting to know the side characters as well. Following them on their journey to conclude Henrietta’s quest brought this feeling of fulfillment and happiness to me as a reader, which I t
Diane Gallagher
May 20, 2016 Diane Gallagher rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I really enjoyed this YA novel. Beth Barany creates a definite arc for Henrietta as she makes her way through this heroine's journey. Full of magic and intrigue, I was aware as I read that there were currents and eddies underlying the text that were pulling the characters one way or another. Barany has built a multilayered fantasy world that is not just defined by its magic but also by culture and honour. Those of us who hav
Anteria Reid
Apr 16, 2016 Anteria Reid rated it really liked it
I was intrigued when I read the book description, and I was not disappointed. (No spoilers)

We are introduced to Henrietta, the main character from page one. By the end of the third chapter we are introduced to the main group of characters, the problem, and have enough questions to keep me reading.

The pacing was just right, and matched each scene to a T. The fight scenes adrenalized me and the riding horseback was calming. Through twist and turns, my questions were answered and more were posed.
Oct 30, 2014 Snellopy rated it really liked it
I read this book straight after reading the Very Short Prequel because the sample chapter from this book in it was fantastic. Beth Barany does an excellent job of balancing keeping us in the dark about how her world works and spoon-feeding us chunks of exposition. Her system for doing the latter is seamless: a party of travellers from different realms that includes a jester, and tales being told to alleviate boredom or explain things for characters that are equally in the dark.

Party interaction
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I received this book as a gift in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This book continues exactly where Henrietta the Dragon Slayer 0.5 left off. This book is full of information but it doesn't all come at once. So it seemed a bit slow to begin with but trust me, stick with it and before long you won't be able to put it down. The plot line is brilliantly written and the characters all have depth - they may not all be likeable but they have depth!

Henrietta is a strong woman although she has onl
Feb 11, 2014 SARIT rated it really liked it
The full review is on -

Even though the action is slow to build, the story will quickly suck you in. The plot in short:

Henrietta has slayed many dragons in her short life and has resigned not to take any more jobs. But then a pushy knight named Franc implores her to follow him to his Islands of del Oro in purpose of slaing Mimoto the Emerald Dragon. She sick from killing she refuse to come, until she learns her mentor, Master Chen is sick. Only the Drago
Intisar Khanani
Henrietta is a fascinating character. At 17, she's served in the army, gained renown as a dragon slayer, and walked away from it all. Now, she's made a habit of isolating herself, and while she's an excellent warrior, she balks at killing. Which makes things difficult when set upon in an ambush. The story opens as Henrietta is accosted twice in succession: once by an arrogant foreign knight who demands she accompany him back to his king, who has need of her dragon-slaying services, and immediate ...more
Oct 11, 2012 Justine rated it really liked it
This book is about a 17yr old ex-military and ex- dragon slaying girl, who once again finds herself on a quest which should end in a dead dragon. Along the way Henrietta picks up a few tag-alongs, Franc, a knight sent to return her to his King, Jaxter, and bard folli for another tale to tell and Paulette, a young witch sent along to be safely returned to her hometown. During their adventure, the group meets some evils, gain power and mature.
The reason for their quest in the first place is that
Ericka Greer
Nov 27, 2013 Ericka Greer rated it really liked it
Although I am not a big fantasy fan I did enjoy reading this book. I loved that Barany wrote Henrietta as a strong, independent, and no taking crap from anybody type of person. Anytime I read reviews or synopsis of a strong lead heroine it automatically has won me over. This story is about adventure and friendship.

Henrietta is on a quest to save her mentor that has fallen ill. Even though she never thought that she would go back she felt compelled to go and save him. Although she prefers to tra
This review was originally posted on Melissa's Midnight Musings
Henrietta is a very private, solitary person. So she isn't too happy when she has to go on a quest to save her dying mentor and suddenly she has this very unique group of people tagging along. She thinks they'll just get in her way. And, some of the time, they do. But over time, she learns to love them all, in her own way. She opens up bit by bit and lets them in to her heart.

Henrietta is a very snarky, sarcastic character, which I e
Jan 01, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Henrietta the Dragon Slayer by Beth Barany is a fun, engaging YA fantasy tale. There were a few times I found myself really getting into the story and unwilling to put the book down. Henrietta’s quest is mysterious and compelling. Even Henrietta finds it mysterious. And her companions – unusual, to say the least. Talk about a rag-tag band of travelers.

Henrietta is an interesting, and quite strong, female lead. Hopefully teen girls will find her an empowering figure. I, personally, was kind of an
A Book Vacation
Jul 14, 2011 A Book Vacation rated it liked it

This is a really cute coming-of-age novel. Barany has created a wonderful cast of characters, including Henrietta, the haughty, kick-butt heroine, Franc, the heroic, chauvinistic knight, Jaxster, the storytelling jester, and Paulette, the quiet, mischievous witch. Through fate, these four characters are cast together on a quest to save Henrietta’s mentor by bringing back the healing stone after killing a dragon. Perhaps my favorite portion of this novel, on the whole, is Barany’s portra
Aug 24, 2013 Leigh rated it it was amazing
Henrietta thought she was done killing and doesn't want to kill again whether it's human or dragon. She finds out that her mentor, Master Chen, is dying and she goes on one last quest to save him. She must get a healing stone from a dragon which means she must kill. But can she do it? A knight, witch, and a jester accompany the dragon slayer on her dangerous quest to save her mentor.

I really liked Henrietta. She's a smart, strong, independent young woman. And she can also hold her own in a figh
Rebecca Graf
Aug 06, 2012 Rebecca Graf rated it really liked it
Fantasy books are not always my thing, but Beth Barany could change my mind with Henrietta The Dragon Slayer. I found myself....Let's into the review first.

Henrietta is....a dragon slayer. She is a dragon slayer with issues. When called to a quest that could save the man who taught her so much, she realizes she has to face the fears and let everyone around her see them. That 'everyone' includes the strangest mixture of traveling companions.

This story has a very steady pace that keeps you
Amelyn Randall
Sep 04, 2015 Amelyn Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect choice for a family read-aloud!

I read this book out loud to my husband, a teen boy, and a tween girl. The guys were a bit indifferent to it, so I'm not counting their votes or ratings, mainly because this book was an excellent example of girl power!

My daughter and I truly enjoyed this fantasy tale about Henrietta The Dragon Slayer, a brave, strong young woman who fought among and against the bravest and best knights. I felt like I was skipping along on Henri's journey, felt
Stephanie Noel
May 26, 2015 Stephanie Noel rated it it was amazing
This is a really great book. The book is filled with many of my favorite elements: dragons, warriors, knights, fantasy and action. I also thought the storytelling aspects very intriguing and made the book a success. There are some poems/songs that appear at the beginning of each chapter which adds a interesting touch and give details about the story. I can't wait to read the second book in the series.
Favorite mythical creature? 1 2 Jul 12, 2013 03:26PM
Who is Your Favorite Kick Ass heroine in a YA Book? 1 2 Jul 04, 2011 06:42PM
  • You Know Your Way Home: A Modern Initiation Journey
  • What I Did On My Midlife Crisis Vacation
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • Four in the Morning
  • Christmas in Wine Country
  • The Legend of Mickey Tussler
  • Sparks Off You
  • Elemental Magic (Elemental Magic, #1)
  • Moonlight Dancer
  • Stop Eating Your Heart Out: The 21-Day Program to Free Yourself from Emotional Eating
  • Quest for Celestia: A Reimagining of the Pilgrim's Progress
  • Song of the Mountain (Mountain Trilogy, #1)
  • Strange Places (Finding Tayna, #1)
  • Wishing for Wonderful (Serendipity, #3)
  • Into the Wise Dark
  • Until My Soul Gets It Right (The Bibliophiles #2)
  • Paths of Intimate Contention (The Sixth World of Men, #2)
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
Award-winning author, Beth Barany writes in two genres: young adult fantasy and contemporary fantasy romance.

Inspired by living abroad in France twice and Quebec once, she loves creating magical tales of romance and adventure to enchant readers into new worlds where magic conspires to bring more love into the world.

In her off hours, Beth enjoys walking, reading and watching movies, and traveling,
More about Beth Barany...

Henrietta The Dragon Slayer (4 books)
  • Henrietta The Dragon Slayer: A Very Short Prequel
  • Henrietta and The Dragon Stone (The Five Kingdoms #2)
  • Henrietta and the Battle of the Horse Mesa (Henrietta The Dragon Slayer, #3)