The Importance of Being a Bachelor

The Importance of Being a Bachelor

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  41 reviews

Despite the example of their own parents' enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no sign of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren't suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one w

Published (first published May 13th 2010)

Leah
Despite the example of their own parents’ enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no signs of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren’t suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one woman he can’t have. Then their father announces he has been thrown out of the family home and this proves a dramatic catalys...more
Amanda
Despite the example of their own parents' enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no signs of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren't suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one woman he can't have. Then their father announces he has been thrown out of the family home and this forces all three brothers...more
Lorraine
“Me, you, Russ and Dad, we talk but we don’t really say anything. Not anything meaningful anyway. It’s the women who bring us out of ourselves. When we were at home it was Mum, and now it’s your Cass or Russ’s Angie or even my Steph…It’s them who show us what life is really all about. Without them…I think we’re all just a bit…

Disconnected? Lost? Hopeless?”

This is an example of the many platitudes you can read in “The Importance of Being a Bachelor.” It’s definitely chick lit and it’s not my type...more
Michael Estey
Dec 06, 2012 Michael Estey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michael by: On the "Books we like shelf" at the Surrey Library
THE IMPORTANCE OF
BEING A BACHELOR
Author: Mike Gayle
A Book Review

Three grown men living in Manchester; brothers Adam, Luke and Russell Bachelor deal with the dilemma of their parents, George and Joan Bachelor, splitting up after forty years of marriage.

Question: Why a divorce after forty years?

Answer: It's not nice to keep secrets.

All three boys have their own problems, one goes out with the wrong type of girl but now as he is aging, wants to settle down, another has problems with an ex, who w...more
Catarina
Markie Jones
I am an avid fan of Mike Gayle but this book had a few errors that quite upset me. For a start the book hasn't been edited properly, so words that made no sense in the context they were used were just plonked into random sentences. Another blunder i noticed was that at one point the characters names were confused. Gayle had set up the scene between Cassie and Luke, and yet at one point Luke's name was changed to Adam. This was slightly confusing but kept me on my toes, in the wrong sort of way i...more
Tashan
2,5 stars

i had a hard time getting into this book because 1)i don't like mike gayle's style 2)i've recently found myself fed up with chick lit but after putting this book 2 or 3 times, i decided that i had to read it in one go and give it back to the friend who lend it to me.

I read it last night, between 1am and 3am, a time when my brain wasn't too exigeant regarding the quality of the book read.

About the book : everything of the plot is predictable as soon as the characters are introduced so...more
Ipswichblade
Its easy to criticise Mike Gayle as being a bloke-lit writer however i don't think he has written a bad book yet. I see from other reviews that some people thought this was a bit lightweight however to me it was a well written story about a family life with believeable characters. The story revolves around a family called the Bachelors, made up of Mum,Dad and three brothers. The three brothers for differing reasons do not have sucessful love lives and the story tells the the tale of their family...more
Suze
I do enjoy Mike Gayle's books. Maybe its the northern humour to them. Maybe its that the romance element is from the male perspective and that leads to amusing observations. Anyway, This one delivered all I expect of his books.
Three brothers, needing to settle down according to their parents - who then have their own problems. I did think at first that these were manufactured to make the boys sit up and think, but not in the end.
The three boys (ranging 27 to 38) go through a variety of escapades...more
Ange Chan
I started reading this book five hours ago and didn't put it down. Loved it!
Sabine
Wat een draak van een boek. Waar Mike Gayle ooit leuk, nieuw en verfrissend was met een soort chick-lit maar dan vanuit het mannelijk perspectief (vooral My Legendary Girlfriend was goed) is hij met dit boek afgezakt naar het niveau bestaand uit clichés, voorspelbaarheid en saaiheid. En aan het eind komt alles goed. Mike Gayle is zijn spark allang verloren. Ik had er al eerder mee moeten stoppen, maargoed. Vanaf nu lees ik geen boeken van zijn hand meer.
This book is classic Mike Gayle. I found it to be warm, funny and an insight into the fact that you don't know what you've got until it's disappeared. I wanted to bang the boys heads together but found myself caring about the Bachelor boys, despite their behaviour towards the women in their lives.

It's rare that I read a book in one sitting but this book was one of the exceptions.. I couldn't put it down. A wonderful book; one I really enjoyed reading.
Ivor Grisel
Normally with books, I read it and like it. But with thus book and with these characters, I was able to identify myself with the characters because I've experienced similar situations. This is especially true for the male reader since the male protagonists in stories are most often female or flat males.

The major let down was the end, which was a bit quick and abrupt. Some detail could have been spend there.
Chanpreet
It was interesting to read a book told from the viewpoints of the male characters more so then female. I liked it and the story always kept me on my toes. The three Bachelor sons seemed to be unlucky in love. When their parents decided they were splitting up after almost 40 years together, it threw all three for a loop.

This is my first book by Mike Gayle. I look forward to reading more by him.
Huey
out of so many authors, i am most most comfortable with the writing style of mike gayle, i love his writing style and his wit. it is as daily mail said ""brilliantly funny"" and also brilliantly amazing book. I managed to finish it in 4 days and if i could sleepread, i would have. A teeny weeny error mistaking luke for adam in one of the scenes (I believe) but he is still one of my favourite author!
Robert Hodgson
Well Mike Gayle has written lots of books and sold lots of copies. I have written one (in the same genre) and sold very few - so with that in mind....
This book could have been filled with helium - if it had been any more lightweight it might have simply floated away.
Mildly amusing but only just worth the effort and utterly predictable I'm afraid (try guessing the outcome about 50 pages in!)
Alice
Mike Gayle's books are the literary equivalent of a box of Maltesers: light, easily consumed and you always fancy just one more chapter before you stop. With this one I found myself staying up late to find out what would happen next. A large cast of characters, all sympathetic and interesting in their own ways, and a tangle of relationships kept me hooked until the inevitable happy ending.
Emma Sharpe
I loved loved loved this book. It was funny, sad, frustrating, positive, negative and was so refreshing to get three male perspectives on relationships but it was like a love story as well. Definitely deserves 5 stars, please read it if you like feelings and emotions, it's all about that and basically has the bullet points of my perfect book.
Rency Patcheco
Had so much fun reading this book.... the humor is exquisite!! I am more enlightened now on how men think and why they think what they do, if at all they do care to indulge in such extravagance!! hahahahahaa. Loved this book!!
Nina
I used to like Gayle's books, but for some reason reading this one was almost painful. Four men in one family are lousy in relationships until they are not. This sudden growing up happens simultaneously without much explanation... Most unbelievable plot and no humor to speak of, so no much reason to waste time reading this book.
Sim
I'm a huge Mike Gayle fan so perhaps I'm being harder with my rating because I'm more disappointed than I would have been with another writer. I suppose it would be fair to say that I give it 2.5 stars, not 2. The ending really ruined the story for me: it was rushed/abrupt and was emotionally quite dissatisfying :(
Book-shelf Shelf

What can you say? Well for one Its Mike Gayle and true to form Mike never lets you down. He writes the way a guy feels and what goes on in their minds. having said that this book was more a story and not such a deep book as with his other. Still hilariously funny and extremely enjoyable.
Aileen
This is the first Mike Gayle book I have read. A good book, however I did have trouble getting into it, and I couldn't really connect with any of the characters, although I did want to see what happened at the end, I couldn't wait to finish it.
Nina
What is there to say? If you like Mike Gayle's books, you're going to love this one. I certainly did. it's got the flow, it's funny and there's an occasional tear to shed. It gives me a great pleasure to read stories from a male point of view.
Letitia
A quick, fun read. The squillion typos, missing words and wrong names nearly drove me nuts (seriously, did no one proofread this thing?). I somehow managed to enjoy it anyway... with the exception of the cheesy & unrealistic ending.
Mariefitriani
I've always loved Gayle's sense of humour. This book is about the 'drama' of the Bachelors, and it's so wonderful to 'follow' a family closely and how they feel about each other. Can't wait for the next ones!
Debra

For a more detailed review, please visit my blog -

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs
Scotchneat
The Bachelors aren't great at married - getting or staying. From the romantic to the cad, they manage to mess things up with great comic effect.

Typical brit humour. Fun read.
Jessica
If the confusing writing including plots that were meant to beef up the story but in the end fizzle out doesn't annoy you then the bad editing will.

Brigitte
Read all of Mike Gayle's novels! They're funny, well written and you can't drop it once you've started, rather like Pringles!
  • The First Wife
  • Men From The Boys (Harry Silver, #3)
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Private Lives
  • RSVP
  • Wrapped Up in You
  • A Crowded Marriage
I was born in the 70s — the 70s were great. I would recommend them to anyone.

I was also born in Birmingham — in my humble opinion the greatest city in the world with the nicest people too.

I used to live in London — a great city too. But a bit on the pricey side.

I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of spli...more
More about Mike Gayle...
My Legendary Girlfriend Mr. Commitment Turning Thirty His 'N' Hers Dinner for Two