Start by marking “Looking for God: An Unexpected Journey Through Tattoos, Tofu, And Pronouns” as Want to Read:
Looking for God: An Unexpected Journey Through Tattoos, Tofu, And Pronouns

Looking for God: An Unexpected Journey Through Tattoos, Tofu, And Pronouns

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A former teaching pastor at Willow Creek Community Church, Ortberg presents a candid compilation of personal essays on finding God in the most unlikely times and places. Ortberg, wife to bestselling author and pastor John Ortberg, opens her highly amusing and refreshingly transparent text reminiscing about bygone years as a young mom who couldn't make time for a quiet time ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Oasis Audio (first published February 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Looking for God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for God

Kristin
I love Nancy's unconventional approach to her faith. Her story telling ability is raw, honest and authentic, and has a way of drawing you in, no matter how long or short you've been walking with God. She masterfully approaches the Christian faith from all angles, causing you to think differently. And you can't help but want to know God more, better.

This book is 20 chapters and can easily be doubled or tripled up to be done in a community group setting. The chapters are short and very engaging o
Lesley
When I first started reading this book, I thought it was going to be too light. I wanted something deeper. And then, I found myself reading paragraphs from the book out loud to my husband. Nancy writes about the everyday challenges of the Christian life in a way that makes the reader feel known, but not judged; encouraged yet also humbled. I definitely recommend this book.
Kymberly
May 14, 2009 Kymberly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kymberly by: Kris from Shiloh bookstore
On Chapter 3 so far and it is really interesting. I wish it had more stories but it asks great questions and has a little humor. Enjoying it so far. three stars so far...

I liked this book until I got to chapter 4 then it turned into awesome!!! Chapter 5 is awesome too!

Okay I cried today reading this about the shoes chapter. So good.

The chapter that talked about shoes was awesome. I cried again. She really moved my heart. I think the question isn't would you give your shoes away but when will y
Cori
Ortberg’s first book is a collection of essays about finding God is the small things. Ortberg reflects on her own experiences and relates the stories of others from her church and her life. Most of them are about finding God in places that one wouldn’t normally look. Each essay is sort of meandering, like a conversation or even a blog post. I liked that about the collection — it was reminiscent of Donald Miller or Anne Lamott in its…easy-going-ness. It was also fairly intimate, which was lovely ...more
Shannon
Everyone has their different view or opinion on their faith. The Bible has been translated several times and in several different directions, so it is books like these that always seem so extremely helpful when it comes to enterpretation.

Ortberg writes with the sort of style that makes you feel as though she is talking directly to you; if you are an avid reader and have a problem being a grammar freak, beware, but otherwise that ability is very good in aiding readers to understand what she is t
Lauren
This was a very good, quick read. Rather than having one single coherent thought that carried the book, the book is divided up into short little essays about different topics on the Christian faith. I enjoyed Nancy Ortberg's perspective on things like giving, beginnings and endings, being authentic. Several chapters, particularly the later ones, are more poignant than others and had me in tears at points. I believe that the authenticity that Nancy seeks to live her life with is echoed in her wor ...more
Tayley Dunn
I overall liked the book, I like how the author had her own opinions of her faith. I do wish there were more stories because some chapters were a bit boring!
Callie
I enjoyed this collection of essays from Nancy Ortberg. Many of them are the kind of thing you want to savor and think about before moving to the next chapter, but I'm unfortunately not very good at that. Still, I am trying to hold on to the essay on balance (it's a unicorn, Jesus was not balanced, and it's a concept that Christians seek and try to implement w/o really thinking if it's theologically accurate) and the essay on being real and reconverted. A quick read.
Keri
Really great book - full of encouragement, conviction and authenticity.

"Authenticity implies honesty, struggles, questions, desert times, shaking fists, and hopeful silences. I can only model what I am experiencing. Anything else is either behavioral modification or 'faking it' - neither of which is transformational...God lives in the struggle. It is there we find Him."
Gillian Wong
Nancy Ortberg in both her books that I've read, writes really honestly. There isn't any skirting around her mistakes--almost every chapter contains a record of a mistake she made and how she handled it. It doesn't have a very clear focus on any single aspect of finding God, but I think almost anybody would get something helpful out of it.
Cherie
Nice easy thoughtful read.
Denise Cua
This book is a breath of fresh air from the the Christianese's inclination towards rigid perspectives about walking with God. I love how in spite of being a pastor's wife, that Nancy Ortberg is able to relate to and address the real sentiments of struggling Christians in a non-hardsell and loving manner.
Chuck Engelhardt
Absolutely delightful! A fast read raw honest anecdotes. Nancy Ortberg's humor adds charm to her very convicting essays. I am exceptionally glad I came across this and took the time to read it. Many of the things N.Ortberg shared have been wonderful additions to my Adult Bible study.
Patty
Really enjoyed this look at Christianity through the eyes of Nancy Ortberg. The main takeaway: It's all about being real. Which is really important to me.

I've enjoyed her husband's books for years so it was nice to see the counterpart.
Vicki Riddiough
3.5 stars - story telling, personal, easy read. Short stories that were nice to read just before bed but nothing really profound. It was very much like the reader was getting to know the author on a personal level.
Chris
A delightful collection of inspirational essays. Although some were more rich with meaning than others, I felt that essay #14 was brilliantly written and the author's terse yet witty writing style enchanted me.
Marsha
Jun 23, 2008 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marsha by: Today's Christian Woman
EXCELLENT, down-to-earth short stories about finding God in day to day events - QUICK read - exactly what I needed at this time in my life
Bill
from the first pages you get the sense that this is hope for everyone who felt like they were doing christianity wrong.
Kate Mitcham
I loved this book and was captivated by Nancy's writing. It was fresh and covered a multitude of issues.
Karen
Engaging essays, colorful imagery. Quick read. Truths, but not in sync with my needs at this moment.
Mark
Really thoughtful book on the nature of the grace & goodness of God... I need to write a fuller review.
Karen
A compilation of essays. Some very moving and thought provoking but all transparent!
Jodi
This is an AWESOME book! Definitely one that I want in my personal collection.
Pam Howell
This was fantastic! Insightful, moving and full of truth!
Maureen
Quick Read , very good .
Andrea Mudd
Andrea Mudd is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Gunner McGrath
Gunner McGrath marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
  • Love Beyond Reason: Moving God's Love from Your Head to Your Heart
  • The Will of God as a Way of Life: How to Make Every Decision with Peace and Confidence
  • The Word, the Name, the Blood
  • Embrace Me
  • A Heart Like Jesus
  • Honest to God?: Becoming an Authentic Christian
  • A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3)
  • No Longer a Slumdog: Bringing Hope to Children in Crisis
  • Lord, Save Us from Your Followers: Why Is the Gospel of Love Dividing America?
  • The Love Languages of God: How to Feel and Reflect Divine Love
  • Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion and Truth in the Immigration Debate
  • Chasing Francis: A Pilgrim's Tale
  • Revolution
  • The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  • Share Jesus Without Fear
  • Sin Boldly: A Field Guide for Grace
  • Moment Maker: You Can Live Your Life or It Will Live You
Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership Everyday Matters Journal 10:10: Life to the Fullest I've Got Your Back: Biblical Principles for Leading and Following Well