Start by marking “Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life” as Want to Read:
Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life

Farm Anatomy: Curious Parts and Pieces of Country Life

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  548 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
What's the difference between a weanling and a yearling, or a farrow and a barrow? Country and city mice alike will delight in Julia Rothman's charming illustrated guide to the curious parts and pieces of rural living. Dissecting everything from tractors and pigs to fences, hay bales, crop rotation patterns, and farm tools, Rothman gives a richly entertaining tour of the q ...more
Published 2011 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Farm Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farm Anatomy

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanGarlic and Sapphires by Ruth ReichlTender at the Bone by Ruth ReichlKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainComfort Me With Apples by Ruth Reichl
Fabulous Reads for Foodies
42nd out of 155 books — 162 voters
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverAll Creatures Great and Small by James HerriotThe Dirty Life by Kristin KimballFarm City by Novella CarpenterHit by a Farm by Catherine Friend
Down on the Farm
100th out of 146 books — 182 voters

More lists with this book...

Martha☀
Jun 16, 2016 Martha☀ rated it liked it
Shelves: farming
This is kind of a cute idea - labeled drawings of farm equipment, livestock and agriculture from a non-farmer artist. There is no text at all. It is simply drawings of random farming things. It is not really useful but fun all the same.
Lea
May 05, 2012 Lea rated it liked it
The best part of this book are the charming illustrations -- they are detailed, but whimsical, and the author uses them to illustrate every subject in this book.

However, as a handbook for homesteading or farming, this book just doesn't include enough information.

I would recommend this for fueling those homestead daydreams, but I wouldn't start here if I were looking for in depth information.
jess
Nov 18, 2011 jess rated it liked it
Shelves: growing, 2011
Julia Rothman presents a delicious visual catalog of farm work wtih beautiful illustrated collections of pigs, tractors, milking devices, hay bales, crop rotations, squash, eggplant, etc. This book is good for browsing or daydreaming, and provides the vocabulary of the farm if you're unfamiliar. The author created the book because her husband grew up on the farm and she was trying to get closer to that, which is sweet. As a result, the information is not advanced or technical; it's pretty access ...more
Lily
Jul 16, 2016 Lily rated it liked it
Rather like Nature Anatomy, this book is a mix of very brief information and bright, clear illustrations about different things on and about a farm. It includes stuff about various common farm animals and how to care for them, fruit and food production and harvest, types of tractors, recipes, canning procedure, tree identification, how to stack wood, types of barns -- all sorts in a very brief dipping-your-toes-in kind of way. It's very America-centric, as Nature Anatomy also is, and it also use ...more
Stuart
Feb 19, 2016 Stuart rated it it was amazing
Farm Anatomy is a gorgeous softcover book that illustrates life on a farm. It begins by telling us about one of the most important aspects of a farm - the soil. There are images that show what generally makes up different levels of soil; what makes up healthy top soil; and the texture triangle, which shows the 12 different classifications of soil texture. Next, nutrients in soil and crop rotation is discussed and illustrated. There is also discussion of plowing, erosion, and weather patterns/pre ...more
Jan 11, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
This reminds me of the Richard Scarry word books I liked as a kid, only from a farm angle. Parts of a horse, barn styles, edible flowers, etc. A little bit of everything, as well as some DIY and how-to info, from recipes to establishing a compost heap. Some of the how-tos are pretty sparse -- I would seek out further information before attempting to can veggies -- but this was a fun book to read/look at (great illustrations).

The biblio at the end is long and full of resources.
Lindsay Sawey
May 20, 2015 Lindsay Sawey rated it really liked it
Fun and easy. She illustrates so beautifully!
Elizabeth
Dec 05, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
You do not need to be a farmer to enjoy this book. The facts and illustrations are so delightful that I want to wallpaper a room in my house with the pages of this book.

Um, gush.

And there are recipes, too. Not to mention tips on predicting the weather, how to make simple knots, and how to identify popular quilt patterns (but that's not all...).
Alison
Jun 13, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
The author is an illustrator, and her book of pictures is both whimsical and informative. Filled with many informative captions, I learned so much about farm life from the anatomy of a bee to how to make cheese. It's not the typical narrative style as it's mostly pictures, so it's an awesome book to read a few pages at the end of a long day. Unique!
Jennifer DeWitt
Feb 18, 2013 Jennifer DeWitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodie
I have a dream of one day owning a farm. This book only made that dream seem like a real possibility. Julia Rothman is a delightful artist. This is a must-read if only for the delightful illustrations. Also full of helpful tips, recipes, and basics of life on a farm. It seems that with a lot of hard work and a little bit of luck it can be done.
NixLapi
Jan 29, 2013 NixLapi rated it it was amazing
I'd say 'perused' more than read... This is not a traditional cover-to-cover read; full of beautiful illustrations, tidbits and how-tos, recipes and more.

A definite recommend for anyone interested in where food comes from, anyone who keeps a kitchen garden, or has any interest in farming, and definitely for anyone with a love of illustration!
Kristi
Mar 05, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arts, farming
Really lovely book with whimsical drawings covering the breadth of "country life" - from soil and crops to animals and yarn, this book covers many topics with basic descriptions and explanations of each drawing. It is a delightful, colorful work which would make a great artistic gift for a fellow gardener or farmer.
Josh Lee
Dec 27, 2012 Josh Lee rated it really liked it
Very impressed, got this book for my son and then I couldn't end up putting it down. Being a family farmer and being from farmer stock for many many years I pretty much knew all the information in this book - however it is still engaging and entertaining and is a perfect starting point for any young future farmer.
Andrea Wright
Mar 11, 2012 Andrea Wright rated it it was amazing
Oh my god this book is awesome!!!! If you are reading farm stuff and realized how bored you are and need something brighter then this is the book for you! It has wonderful drawn colored pictures and actually alot of useful information. It's the farm chicks book to go to. I will be buying a copy to keep on hand.
Henri Moreaux
May 09, 2014 Henri Moreaux rated it really liked it
Farm Anatomy is a heavily illustrated book which covers a lot of general information on farming with common animal types, crop types and some recipes thrown in as well.

It's not a farming manual per se but rather a good introduction to the base topics involved in becoming a small land holder.
Rebekka
Feb 28, 2014 Rebekka rated it it was amazing
This illustrated book gives simple and general information and instructions of living the rural and farm life. It's not supposed to be exhaustive, and that's why I like it. She gives enough information to be familiar with the subejct and to do your own research if you wish to know more.
Lane
Apr 15, 2014 Lane rated it liked it
a nice basic book as an introduction to agriculture. think of it as a dictionary with pictures for someone with a non-ag background. if you want to farm there are several books that will provide more information but for general information this is a great starting point.
Kristen
Apr 16, 2013 Kristen rated it really liked it
Beautiful book. I disagree with some of the information, but I'll chalk that up to artistic and cultural differences (I'm from a Midwestern, not an Eastern farm). But lovely illustrations, charts and graphs. I'd love to frame some of these pages.
Eliza
Jan 24, 2012 Eliza rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated and fun to pore over. Not at all a comprehensive book about farming or homesteading, but a lovely collection of art and information. I would love to frame quite a few of the pages of these books to hang in my house!
Gef
Jan 10, 2014 Gef rated it liked it
Shelves: research
Wonderfully illustrated book about farm life, though not terribly deep on any particular facet. Great book for kids, I'd wager.
Tony
Sep 10, 2014 Tony rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations. Light on practical content, which is fine.
Megan
Nov 23, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Cute artwork, and joyful to pick up and read a page or two at a time
Margit
Feb 03, 2014 Margit rated it it was amazing
Beautiful read and pictures for all ages! Lovely
Becky B
Sep 24, 2015 Becky B rated it really liked it
A miscellaneous assortment of anything you might find on a farm. Rothman gives little tidbits of information on everything from the different types of rafter formations in barns to types of tomatoes to which rabbit breeds are best to raise for their fur. Oh, and did I mention recipes? She's got recipes too, and instructional guides for easy building projects. If you like random facts, want tips on home farm-ish projects, or just like colorful nonfiction books, this may be the book for you.

No con
Penelope
Jan 21, 2012 Penelope rated it liked it
This book is really fun to look at and is full of interesting information and beautiful illustrations. I could see myself using some of the recipes, but many of the more generalized how-to's are just not specific enough in their directions. For example, there's some information about canning but it doesn't mention anything about adding liquid to the veggies once they're in the jar. It does, however, mention pushing a spatula around to get rid of air bubbles so...there must be liquid in there, ri ...more
Jessica
Oct 14, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking-food, farming
This is a unique book - part cookbook, part farm dictionary and primer. Rothman basically goes through every possible aspect of life on a farm with beautiful illustrations that identify all the tools, plants, animals, buildings, etc. that you might find on a farm. There are also quite a few recipes throughout, but it's not exclusively a cookbook. If you're unfamiliar with farm life this would be a good introduction. This is a fun and beautifully illustrated book.
Erin
Jun 07, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
A neat visual reference / infographic guide to different aspects of farming (how do you decide where to build a henhouse? what are the parts of a pig called? how does crop rotation/quilting/milking work?). Not very useful for anything in-depth, but informative and gorgeously illustrated.
Anne
Nov 17, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
This is an unusual book to say I've "read" -- while reading is involved, there's also quirky, lovely artwork on every page. The book isn't a farming manual for those really engaged in, say, backyard chicken raising, but in the way she presents the information she shows us the depth of knowledge that's been accumulated in the human race over the ages of agriculture. Ironically, some of this knowledge (presented in a high level survey here) is vanishing as we increasingly consume from a mass marke ...more
Julie
May 17, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
My kids loved this book and all the basic parts of farm life! Different animals and machines are labeled, plants, how to plant them, etc. So fun to look through, draw from and read together. We need our own copy!
Jenny
Jul 04, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Interesting picture book for adults and older kids who would love learning farm terminology. Hand drawn illustrations, font designed from author's handwriting make this a pleasurable short read.
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Greenhorns: 50 Dispatches from the New Farmers' Movement
  • The Backyard Homestead Guide To Raising Farm Animals
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Heirloom: Notes from an Accidental Tomato Farmer
  • Barnheart: The Incurable Longing for a Farm of One's Own
  • You Can Farm: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Start and Succeed in a Farm Enterprise
  • Urban Farm Handbook: City Slicker Resources for Growing, Raising, Sourcing, Trading, and Preparing What You Eat
  • Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Farm: A Year in the Life of an American Farmer
  • The Permaculture Handbook: Garden Farming for Town and Country
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • The Accidental Farmers: An urban couple, a rural calling and a dream of farming in harmony with Nature
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation