A Turn of Light (Night's Edge, #1)

A Turn of Light (Night's Edge #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  110 reviews
The village of Marrowdell is an isolated pioneer community, but it is also the place where two worlds overlap, and at the turn of light--sunset--the world of magic known as the Verge can briefly be seen.

Jenn Nalynn belongs to both Verge and Marrowdell, but even she doesn't know how special she is--or that her invisible friend Wisp is actually a dragon sent to guard her......more
Published March 5th 2013 by DAW Trade (first published March 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Turn of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Turn of Light

Cold Days by Jim ButcherThe Blinding Knife by Brent WeeksThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussTricked by Kevin HearneA Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison
Adult Fantasy & Sci-Fi 2012
201st out of 408 books — 802 voters
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona AndrewsFair Game by Patricia BriggsLover Reborn by J.R. WardTangle of Need by Nalini SinghLothaire by Kresley Cole
Upcoming Fantastika 2012
176th out of 203 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen Dales
When I first saw the cover art back in Spring of 2012 I thought to myself that this is a book worth reading. I waited patiently and when Julie showed me the ARC at Word Fantasy I KNEW I had to have it. Julie was kind enough to let me have a copy. I had to admit I hugged the tome and placed it on top of my To Be Read pile.

I tucked into it almost immediately and never regretted my decision. I love this book. It is unlike most any other fantasy novel I've encountered. You will find no princes, lor...more
Rosalind M
I love Julie Czerneda's work, but in this case I just couldn't get past a near-instant dislike of the heroine. Jenn seemed much too childish, self-centered, and impulsive for her age, especially considering that none of the other characters near her age who had grown up under similar circumstances seemed so immature. Foolish decision after foolish decision (on her part) wore me down until reading the story became a chore.
Janny
Finished an advance reading copy - loved it! Will win the hearts of anyone who enjoys fantasy in the lyrical vein of Patricia McKillip.
Tabitha (Pabkins)
A Turn of Light was quite the treat. Weighing in at over 800 pages you have to know you are in for a very well developed story and characters. The past few years I have been shying away from quite a number of books over 600 pages because I think I've become a bit of an impatient reader. So I mean this in the best way when I say that this book tested my patience.

The reading experience was a bit like a piece of chocolate, slow melting and delicious but I did find myself wanting a bit of a crunch....more
Adrianne
A Turn of Light is like eating chocolate truffles. It's far too delicious to gulp down in a single sitting. It begs to be savored. It's amazing how much such loving people get themselves into such deep trouble. And it's so very beautiful to see them pull through.
Glenda
Nov 09, 2012 Glenda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes great fantasy
Recommended to Glenda by: Lyn McConchie.
I borrowed this book from a friend (Lyn McConchie)after she posted the review below on her site.

A TURN OF LIGHT by Julie Czerneda, DAW March 2013.
I first ‘met’ Julie when her book, A Thousand Words for Stranger came out in 1997. I read that in one mighty gulp, and LOVED it. She was a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer and I voted for her. (Frankly I feel that her work was solidly superior but I guess all voters feel that way.) Since A Thousand Words, I’ve bought all of h...more
Karen
A Turn of Light

I've often referred to myself as a "bibliovore" since I tend to devour books. Well, to me, this book is a feast.

Magic. Romance. Toads. Dragons. Not-horses. Not-humans. Adventure (- and, yes danger of the world-shattering variety). Coming-of-age. Personal growth and self-knowledge. All these elements bound together in one book, in one story told in witty and elegantly-flowing prose. What more could a bibliovore want? There's even a sweet dessert! (Nearly as good as Pegg's summerbe...more
Ladyhawke
*THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS* I will start by saying if you enjoy sappy, fluffy, anticlimactic, angst-y teenage romance/fantasy that is far longer than it ought to be, by all means read this book. You won't be disappointed.

However, if you are looking for a good book that will keep your interest, has at least a little action, decent characters, decent world development, good grammar, good vocabulary, and isn't sappy, stop now and look for a different book. Honestly I don't think I'd have even f...more
Claire Eamer
I read this book as an ARC and loved it so much that I bought the Kobo version so I can re-read at will. It's the kind of book you sink into slowly, getting to know the characters, the setting, the mysterious currents that run just below the surface. The magic is original, believable, and -- well -- magic. The characters are complex and nuanced. Nothing stock about them. In fact, if you think you see a stock character, just wait a bit and keep reading. And there's certainly nothing stock about t...more
Text Addict
Jul 13, 2013 Text Addict rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Keely
Shelves: fantasy, sff2013_f
I want to give this book five stars, because the world-building is astounding. Czerneda included a history that makes sense, a culture both similar to and markedly different from the North American norm, and magic that's seriously fantastical and weird and holds together.

AND although it takes over 800 pages to do it, this is a complete story in ONE VOLUME! Woo-hoo!!

But. The down side is that it takes the approach of hiding key facts about the world and some of the characters in order to maintai...more
Estara
Mar 27, 2013 Estara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of slice of life kingdome level fantasy, like Chalice by Robin Mc.Kinley, for example
Recommended to Estara by: Julie Czerneda doing fantasy
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2013
Annmarie
Wow, this was long. I got pretty engrossed in this fantasy world Czerneda creates of exiled aristocrats in a sort of "new world" where they have become farmers. They've settled in a valley caught halfway between the magic world and the non-magic world, kind of an edge world, filled with beautiful meadows, rich farming, log cabins guarded by giant needle teethed toads which are quite like house cats, moths which may or may not be fairies, beautiful meadows (but avoid trampling the grain as you ma...more
Dr susan
I have a super power; I read freaky fast. If I am not engaged in a book, or cannot relate to the characters, my reading speed drops drastically. A Turn of Light is 840 pages, and I finished in 48 hours (including work and sleeping, although I read while I ate meals). Marrowdell is a wonderful magical place, full of people who have kept too many secrets for too long. I do not like love triangles, but this triangle has an important place in the story. I cared about these characters, even the suppo...more
Liz
Never judge a book by it's cover.
The cover made this novel look so promising, but GOD what a flop.
The " heroine " is a silly snut ( a word I will make up in place of nastier verbs ) and probably named after her daughter. Perhaps Czerneda has daughter issues and thinks her sweet princess is the image of Jenn Nalynn. Oh boy!
Great detail is put into this book, which normally I adore, however when an entire page or more is written detailing the scene or particular mood resemblance, I found myself tu...more
Craig
A mixed bag. The first 150 pages were a muddled mess. Much was straightened out - interesting characters developed and a place very well drawn - but the full structure of the world's magic never really became unmuddled. I don't mind understanding coming slowly as it comes to the main characters, but I *do* want it to come eventually, and it just didn't here. My only other objection was that the main character made far too many of those silly, stupid, impulsive, teen-horror-movie moves to be beli...more
Lyndburger
I thought this book was beautiful, wondrous, engaging and constructive. The setting and characters are exquisitely rendered, the ending is satisfying. It was exciting to read and I look forward to more.
Gabrielle Harbowy
I was fortunate to receive an ARC, and I absolutely loved it. Gripping, spellbinding, and fraught with tension. Julie Czerneda is a master storyteller. Her world and its characters will win your heart.
Jessica Peregrym
3 and a 1/2 stars

The story of a girl who is friends with an invisible dragon, who dreams of leaving her small backwater town for some grand adventures, only to find she can't ever leave her village due to a magical curse, and that the village she grew up in is overflowing with its own set of magical mysteries.

Things I liked:

- A relaxing book, not an epic adventure like most fantasy stories, but a story about a small village and their inhabitants, nice to read about their somewhat simple lives af...more
J. Lynne
Susan Kornfeld
This is a coming-of-age tale in a fantasy world. I've read most of Czerneda's other work and enjoyed them immensely. Her heroines are generally smart and quirky. This heroine, however, is rash, romantic, and doesn't come in contact with her brains until fairly late into the book.
I enjoyed the book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys good writing and light fantasy. Czerneda's world is complex and requires a lot of backstory, but she handles it fairly well. It can be a bit frustrating to try t...more
J.M. Frey
A curmudgeonly anti-romantic interest; a weary too-wise soldier; a naïve, dying heroine; people who are not people; sharp-toothed toads; busy-body aunts who actually help more than they hinder; an abundance of pies; and a hero’s journey that never gets past the entrance to the valley - in the hands of anyone by Julie Czerneda, this would be a recipe for disaster.

But because this is Czerneda, A TURN OF LIGHT is a sparkling, sunlight-saturated rumination on what makes a hero a hero, and how the pe...more
Robert
Over the last couple of years I've read a lot of books - some exciting, some interesting and some plain fun, but all were 300-350 pages - fine for a short air flight or a rainy afternoon, but somehow unsatisfying. How nice then to have a book that lasted a whole week, and a week's worth of pure enjoyment. There are fewer than 30 residents in Marrowdell, but by the end, you feel as if you know them all in addition to the various visitors.
A magical setting imbued with real magic to which most of t...more
Shel
Absolutely gorgeous. Marrowdell has to be one of the most magical places I've ever encountered in fantasy - what seems like an ordinary farming village at first is bursting with secrets. Sometimes I wanted to smack Jenn Nalynn in the head to make her THINK before she acted, but that just goes to show how emotionally involved I got with all of the characters.

This was my first Czerneda book, but will definitely not be my last!
Shannon
4/13/13 Okay, this book might have been a mistake. I'm only on the first page, but as I opened it to start reading, I noticed the dedication to someone named Jennifer Lynn. Then the first sentence starts out with the name "Jen Nalynn." This is so obvious that it's actually annoyed me. Now I'm finding myself facing an 850 page book and I'm irritated before I even reached the end of the first sentence. I realize I'm probably absurdly easy to annoy, but come on.

May 20: I give up. To Half Price with...more
Brandon
I tried to read this book based on a recommendation from a family member. At 350 pages in is still boring, its like little house on the prairie with some supernatural elements that are hinted at and slowly revealed but the main characters are still spending most of their time fixing doors and banking pies to win the approval of friends and family...

Tari
I loved this book! It was a little slow to start for me, but it's always difficult to start such a beefy, giant book (my favorite kind!) during the beginning of gardening season for a master gardener! I loved the worlds & characters, oh and the attention to detail--I want that rose bush!! I can't wait to find out what happens next!
Tatiana
Innocent country girl protagonist who is being pressured into marriage but wants to see the world (yawn), rapid-fire introduction to magical concepts & EVERY SINGLE CITIZEN of a town (argh), and names that look entirely too similar -- Jenn, Wenn, Wainn, Wyn -- made the few chapters I managed to read difficult.
Dreki
After reading all Julie's posts and interviews about this book, I have been desperate for it! I try to support local bookshops (any excuse to go in a bookshop really lol) but unfortunately they're all obsessed with mainstream stuff.... Anyhow I finally cracked and ordered it ^.^ ... Might have to be sick... Joke :)
Peggy Stubblefield
I truly enjoyed the family- village- small town feel of Marrowdell and its inhabitants. The description allowed me to see where I was without confusion/requiring a map. All in all, it's one of those books I mourn for after reading the last page.
Evelyn
this is a decent book. Fun. LONG! Fun. It falls into that category into which many fantasy/ sci fi books fall... it's fun; and there are some deeper meanings here and there, but ultimately, it's just fun. A way to escape the world into another world. But didn't leave any deeper resonances, any things i would chew or meditate on for days or weeks or months after. It's just not that kind of book.

The book is about a young girl coming of age in a magical town, and slowly learning that she too is mag...more
Word Association 1 1 Mar 16, 2014 08:16AM
Fantasy, me? 4 21 Nov 09, 2013 08:56AM
Other books like this one? 1 5 Nov 08, 2013 02:42PM
  • The Silvered
  • Quintessence
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • Shattered Pillars (Eternal Sky, #2)
  • Starhawk (The Academy, #7)
  • Touchstone (Glass Thorns, #1)
  • Sorcerer's Legacy
  • Red Planet Blues
  • The Golden City (The Golden City, #1)
  • The Soul Mirror (Collegia Magica, #2)
  • Banner of the Damned
  • Firebrand (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • The Alchemist of Souls (Night's Masque, #1)
  • Iron Night (American Vampire, #2)
  • Royal Airs (Elemental Blessings, #2)
  • Dragon in Chains (Moshui, #1)
  • Masks (Masks of Aygrima, #1)
  • The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga, #1)
A Thousand Words for Stranger (Trade Pact Universe, #1) Survival (Species Imperative, #1) Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1) Migration (Species Imperative, #2) Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)

“It dims the brightest spirit, to stare into the dark.” 1 likes