Start by marking “The Butcher of Anderson Station (Expanse, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Butcher of Anderson Station (Expanse, #0.5)

The Butcher of Anderson Station (The Expanse 0.5)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  5,910 Ratings  ·  391 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author James S. A. Corey...
A new story set in the world of The Expanse. One day, Colonel Fred Johnson will be hailed as a hero to the system. One day, he will meet a desperate man in possession of a stolen spaceship and a deadly secret and extend a hand of friendship. But long before he became the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance, Fred
Published October 17th 2011 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Butcher of Anderson Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butcher of Anderson Station

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
SO. It's been obvious from our first introduction in LEVIATHAN WAKES that Fred Johnson, the butcher of Anderson Station, isn't a stone cold killer . . . You don't walk away from the military you've served your whole life when following orders led to the slaughter of "terrorists" if you've got an empty chest cavity.

If you've watched THE EXPANSE, then you already know this story, what really happened that day, why the Belters of Anderson Station led a revolt.

It is heartbreaking. But even if you
Alejandro
I knew about this prequel story even before of reading "Leviathan Wakes", however, I decided to read before the actual first book on the series since I was afraid that in just 40 pages, it won't be possible to establish the literature universe of the series to really get this short story.

I think that I chose the right decision. It was a good introductory story to the character of Fred Johnson, who is a supportive but key character in the development of the story in "Leviathan Wakes". Even you ge
Ashley
Mar 18, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to read this ever since I read the first book several years ago. That's where we're first introduced to Fred Johnson, leader of the OPA, who was once (and still is) known through the solar system as the Butcher of Anderson Station. This short story elaborates on the brief hints of how he got that name that we got in Leviathan Wakes, and also shows how Fred got involved with the OPA to boot. More importantly, it doesn't just show us how he got that name, but what he did with it, ...more
Jason
Dec 31, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
4 Stars

I am a huge fan of the Expanse series and decided now would be a great time to read the tiny novellas. The Butcher of Anderson Station is an important back about the big Boss Fred. Can't say much more without spoilers but it is worth a read. A cool insight piece into Fred's past.

The Expanse series is one of my very favorite ongoing series today.

The Expanse is now an awesome show on Syfy and it has already been renewed for a second season.
Tudor Vlad
Mar 01, 2017 Tudor Vlad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This I also read last year, so I don't have much to add, maybe just that I remember this making me hope to see more Dawes in Babylon's Ashes...which happened (I'll take credit for that).
James
Nov 30, 2011 James rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Expanse series
Orbit Short Fiction seem to be making something of a success of the short-story form. This is the second one I've read - the first being Mira Grant's Countdown - and while neither of them are breaking exciting new literary ground they are providing an enjoyable set of prequels and spin-off stories from novel-length works or series. Like Countdown, this one too is a prequel - providing some back-story for one of the characters from Leviathan Wakes , Colonel Fred Johnson, the Butcher of Anderso ...more
Miquel Codony
No añade nada a lo que ya explica Leviathan Wakes (o al que muestra la serie).
Ron
A well-conceived and well-written short story which apparently sets up a great series. This is a good way to set the hook: a self-contained story which introduces the setting and perhaps the characters of the greater tale. The reader know what she is, and isn’t, getting.

“Centuries of warfare in the electronic age …”

That said it reads as if it takes place late in this century, not two hundred years or more into the future. The weapons are current or under development. The technology and electroni
Alex Ristea
Aug 20, 2014 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it
If you've been wondering if James S.A. Corey can write short fiction, wonder no longer.

(Actually, you shouldn't be wondering that at all. The Churn: An Expanse Novella is one of the best I've ever read; see my review.)

They've always been good at putting yourself in a character's shoes, where there is no right and wrong. Each POV has their own motivations you can understand, if not outright agree with.

Here we see the battle of Anderson station from a different perspective, and it throws what you
Silvana
If you're curious on why Fred aka the titular character became what he was in Leviathan Wakes etc, then you should read this story.
Daniel
Feb 02, 2015 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesantna pricica o dogadjaju o kom se puno prica u prvoj knjizi. Sada najzad dobijamo malo detalja o tom tragiconm (i kako ispada nepotrebnom) dogadjaju.

Za ljubitelje serijala obavezno stivo.
daisy
Apr 05, 2017 daisy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tentative three stars.

Nothing new, really. There's a tiny bit more backstory for Fred, and why he ends up where he does, but it's stuff you've seen before in Leviathan Wakes and the other novels in the series.
Roland of Gilead
Apr 25, 2017 Roland of Gilead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some nice background information on good ol' Fred. It wasn't as lengthy as I would have liked but it definitely answered some important questions about his past.
Kathy
Nice insight into the character and backstory of Fred Johnson. Even though it is a short story prequel, I would still read Leviathan Wakes first.
Eric
May 24, 2013 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When we met Fred Johnson in LEVIATHAN WAKES, he was the leader of the Outer Planets Alliance (OPA). We learned that at some point after he brutally liberated Anderson Station on behalf of Earth (earning him the nickname the Butcher of Anderson Station), he defected to the OPA. The novella The Butcher of Anderson Station by James S.A. Corey (the pen name used by Daniel Abraham (Twitter) and Ty Franck) helps fill in some of those missing details surrounding Johnson’s past.

The novella is short (ver
Katherine
Jan 23, 2016 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fans of the SyFy adaptation of The Expanse will be familiar with this little bit of backstory for Fred Johnson. Years later, Fred is forced to revisit his dark past. During his time in the military, he was part of an operation to deal with a rebellion on one of the mining stations. Forced into starvation by budget cuts, to the point where their children are suffering brain damage from the inadequate air supply, the miners have risen up to demand fair treatment. Although this wasn’t necessarily t ...more
poiboy
Feb 09, 2016 poiboy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book that needs to be read if you plan to read Leviathan Wakes. If you want to do it right, read this short story between chapters 17 and 18 of Leviathan Wakes. It fits in perfectly. I dare say it would have been perfect to have actually been IN Leviathan Wakes. But hindsight is always 20/20 right?
At least some of this makes it into the TV adaptation of The Expanse on SyFy (what's wrong with calling the channel Sci-Fi? weird).
Aaron
A short story from the Expanse series detailing Fred Johnson's first up close and personal encounter with the Outer Planets Alliance (which he would go on to lead), while also showing in flashback his experience as a Colonel in the United Nations Marine Corps and the military action that earned him the story's title. It may be good as a standalone story, but it's especially enlightening after reading Leviathan Wakes and wanting to know more about the motives of this character.
AndrewP
As the TV series gave a look into how Fred became known as 'the butcher' I thought I would read this short to fill in the blanks. Turns out there was more to this incident behind the scenes than covered by the episode in the TV series.
Very short so well worth reading somewhere after the middle of Book 1.
Dale Pearl
A short story prequel if you will to the expanse series. Provides some significant backdrop to the storyline that was actually covered in the TV series. Makes Fred less of an ass-hat and more down to earth human like the rest of us.
Damon
Nov 21, 2015 Damon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A little bit nothing. Obviously a drop to enrich later works.
lukk
Последняя short story из набора разношерстных приквелов к «Левиафану». В первой книге Фред Джонсон на протяжении определенного количества страниц является самой темной и загадочной фигурой на поле, предыстория прозвища «мясник станции Андерсон» не сразу раскрывается в полной мере, но и даже после некоторых намеков хочется узнать больше подробностей о кровавом полковничьем прошлом.

“The Butcher of Anderson Station” с ролью рассказчика справляется отлично. За детальным описанием операции, прогремев
Wayne Simmons
Oct 28, 2016 Wayne Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listed as Book 1.5 in the Expanse series, the bestselling space opera by James S.A. Corey, The Butcher Of Anderson Station gives us the backstory of one of the most enigmatic characters from Leviathan Awakes (book 1 of the series). Depending on who you talk to, Fred Johnson of the Outer Planets Alliance is either a hero or a mass-murderer, freedom fighter or terrorist, and that sentence alone highlights some of the complexities around the man. This short e-novella (around 10 K words long) detail ...more
Lena
May 01, 2016 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Expanse Fans

"It was hard to think of any of them as human anymore." Colonel Frederick Johnson of Earth Fleet

This novella is the backstory of how Fred Johnson went from the poster child of Earths military to the Commander of Tycho Station and General of the OPA as we see him in The Expanse books. I had no idea it was Dawes that recruited him. That character has more depth than I expected. This is a short must read for Expanse fans.
Efka
Apr 08, 2016 Efka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
"You see Fred. Fred is dead".

Oh, no no no, wait, that's from another opera. This Fred - Butcher of Anderson station - has nothing to do with that Fred, who is dead. Except that he also is dead - morally. And he's looking for a redemption. Or an ending. And, well, he finds it. But that's not big news for anyone, who read Leviathan Wakes. But this short story tells us, how did it all happen, why, and most importantly, what Fred did after he hid.
TheTick
Sep 21, 2011 TheTick rated it really liked it
A solid add-on tale to fill time until the next novel in the Expanse series comes out, The Butcher of Anderson Station tells you how Fred Johnson went from being the eponymous Butcher, to the hope that the Outer Planets Alliance has for peace. I can't say that I was all that surprised by events of this story, as I figured the events of the station assault had gone FUBAR due to the Earth government and not anything Fred did. Wished it was longer, but I guess what I REALLY want is Caliban's War.
Dan Secor
Feb 19, 2016 Dan Secor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third and last novella/short story preludes to The Expanse. The results of this story are touched upon in one episode of the series, although, like the initial novel, are a little different here. Still a good story to set up the motives of two key characters in the upcoming novels. Not the best of the novellas (The Churn was my favorite of the three), but worth a read before entering the main universe.
Fabian Scherschel
Dec 19, 2015 Fabian Scherschel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, the-expanse
When they first introduced Fred and had this little vignette about Anderson Station in "Leviathan Wakes", I immediately thought how interesting it would be to tell that whole story. This is less that and more of an exploration of Fred's morality and reasons for becoming involved with the OPA. A nice little story and well worth the read. Let me hazard a guess here and say we will be seeing a lot more of Fred in the coming books.
Phil
Jul 26, 2016 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic case of a military person disillusioned with an HQ decision. An extreme response that was unnecessary and resulted in massive loss of life, all for the sake of setting an example and sending a clear message to other would be 'mutineers'. However it has obviously been too much guilt for Fred to bear, and I'm assuming we read about the repercussion in Leviathan Wakes.
Glen
Dec 05, 2016 Glen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting peek at Fred Johnson's defining moment, but it's really only a peek. I enjoyed it, but I barely remember it a week after reading it. I much prefer the full-length books in this series.
  • Edge of Infinity
  • The Sound of Rebellion (The Human Division, #8)
  • The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • Night's Slow Poison (Imperial Radch #0.5)
  • When We Were Heroes

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (Expanse, #7)
  • Untitled (Expanse, #8)
  • Untitled (Expanse, #9)

“Fred’s vacuum-rated armor protected him from the smell of viscera, but it reported it to him as a slight increase in atmospheric methane levels. The stench of death reduced to a data point.” 1 likes
“Every now and then a green dot shifted to yellow. A soldier down, their armored suits detecting the injuries or death that rendered them combat ineffective. Combat ineffective. Such a nice euphemism for one of his kids bleeding out.” 0 likes