Start by marking “La Vida Privada De La Reina Victoria” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
La Vida Privada De La ...

Carolly Erickson

La Vida Privada De La Reina Victoria

In this impeccably researched work, an award-winning historian sweeps away the puritanical myths surrounding Queen Victoria to provide a fresh portrait of a stalwart, passionate Victoria who remains one of history's most intriguing rulers. of photos.
319 pages
Published 1998 by J. Vergara Editor (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about La Vida Privada De La Reina Victoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Vida Privada De La Reina Victoria

BAM The Bibliomaniac
The book starts as most bios of Victoria-sharing the background of the Hanoverian kings and her sheltered childhood with her mother, the Duchess of Kent, and her controller, Conroy. At the age of eighteen she ascended the throne and took control of her life. Except she didn't, because she fell into the pit of belief that women needed a man to rule them, so she in turn depended on her prime ministers and her husband, Albert, as well as her uncle,Leopold, and an advisor, Stockmar, to advise her in ...more
Ashley
May 14, 2009 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The last 100 pages or so are far more gratifying than the first 100. There's a lot of speculative "she must have felt" garbage than I felt was warranted. Compared to the fantastically written and researched biography of Abigail Adams (by Lynne Withey) I read the week before, this one is pretty lame. Erickson even went so far as to put in quotations of what she thought Victoria would have said. That's just tacky. Most frustrating was the fact that I never really knew what was fact and what was sp ...more
Brent
Jan 03, 2017 Brent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About half-way through so far, lots of speculation on Victoria's feelings and opinions, which is odd given she wrote about 2000 words per day in her diary giving us an invaluable primary source to go off of. So far extremely biased against William IV, most of what I've read and listened too suggests his down to earth and frugal, almost philistine manor endeared him greatly to his subjects especially after the opulence and gluttony of his older brother. Author tries to pass it as a given fact tha ...more
Karin Boasci
Oct 01, 2016 Karin Boasci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love British royal history
Elaine Cougler
Sep 15, 2016 Elaine Cougler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her Little Majesty by Carolly Erickson is really interesting in its honest portrayal of Queen Victoria. All her warts are shown along with the evolution of her person to the Queen of legend she ultimately became. An intriguing read for me.
Vicky Hunt
Nov 07, 2016 Vicky Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erickson has given quite a wide coverage to the story of Victoria's life. I did enjoy the way the story was told, and found the material all new, considering you don't really read much of the history of foreign leaders in school.

I did wonder though, at the frequency with which different secondary characters were lauded for the same exact behavior that in Victoria was seen as a character flaw. One example would be when Victoria was unfairly harsh in her criticism of a servant of her Mother's who
Dagmar1927
Mar 03, 2011 Dagmar1927 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rather liked this lively biography of Queen Victoria. As I've read a small mountain of books (sixty or so) about her, many of which would be exceedingly dull and plodding for someone less obsessed with the subject than myself, it was very refreshing to find a biography that concentrated less on the weighty political issues of the era and more on Victoria as a person.

Though this book does tend to concentrate on Victoria's bad points, it felt to me as if the author had researched the queen and f
Molly Jean
This is the briefest sketch of Queen Victoria's long life, not a full fledged, in depth biography. Her life and reign cannot be covered in a mere 264 pages. Too many of those pages are devoted to the author's assessment of Victoria's physical appearance. Okay, I get it, she was no beauty. I plucked this book from my own collection where it had sat for several years, unread. I was looking for more information about her childhood and the influence John Conroy had over Victoria's mother. In that re ...more
Savannah Toner
Jan 27, 2012 Savannah Toner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This is a well-done examination of the life and times of Queen Victoria. The author not only follows the life of Queen Victoria, but also summarizes the overall treads that affected the Victorian age from the rigidity of early Victorian morals to the disillusionment of these values at the end of her regime. Primary source materials, as well as extensive secondary materials, were cleverly used to weave a story that I found engrossing and entertaining. Victoria is portrayed as a human being with h ...more
John Yearwood
Jan 31, 2014 John Yearwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Victorian era and personally believe we have much to learn from the remarkable people who shaped it. During this period, England went from a small European power to the first great super-power of the world. The Victorian empire spread around the globe. This was an era that created the idea of worker's rights, social justice, indoor plumbing, railroads and steamships, and a host of other innovations. I think the book touches on most of these accomplishments, noting rightly that Victori ...more
Al
Feb 27, 2013 Al rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-researched presentation of the long life and reign of Queen Victoria. There are many similarities as well as significant differences between the lives of Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth I. Both lived very long lives reigned for the better part of an entire century...the 16th for Elizabeth and the 19th for Victoria. Both had relatively troubled childhoods, although for very different reasons. While Elizabeth never married and was childless, Victoria had a single husband along with nine ...more
Jasmine
Feb 09, 2013 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good & straight forward biography of Queen Victoria, focusing primarily on her personal life. I liked the format of this, very narrative but based completely on historical correspondence, journals, etc. (rather than an author making up fake dialogue or extrapolating too much, which sometimes irks me). It made me think about Victoria more of a person, and it was interesting to see how much of her personality and preferences helped shape the "Victorian" era and the contemporary world as well ...more
Sara
I have a pretty complicated relationship with Carolly Erickson's work. I despise her historical fiction with a passion but I love her biographies. It feels like a novel which makes it for smoother reading and are very easy and enjoyable to read. How does someone write such good biographies but terrible historical fiction? It's baffling but this book was no exception. I love reading about Queen Victoria from this point of view and the details of her life. A must read for those who want to know a ...more
Flaudbill
Sep 12, 2009 Flaudbill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Interesting to learn about this famous royal couple, Victoria's unpreparedness for her role, not her doing, the role of Women in that society, submissive , yet she had to voice her opinions as Queen. The status of the country, run by Parlament, her role much the same as Queen Elizabeth today. Conflicts, family issues,dependent on Alfred,loneliness as a widow, self pitying at times, to become the longest serving monark in History. Book lacks a time line, genealogy , maps and the author's portraya ...more
Eyebright
Apr 28, 2011 Eyebright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Queen Victoria. Forever immortalized as the reigning monarch of Britain during the age that came to be known as Victorian, this book tells her story, from beginning, to very end, in a simple informative way.

I really enjoyed reading this book. Although the monotonous tone, or the occasional allusion to risque events turned me off at times, overall I would definitely recommend this book to others interested in learning about the life and times of one of England's longest reigning monarchs.
Siria
A quick read, this is an easy book to get through but one which doesn't leave you terribly well-informed afterwards. It's the trashy romance approach to biography, the kind that's become very popular in the past few years: full of cliches, of the author imagining what Victoria 'must' have been thinking, it skips over entire years in its narrative—not surprising, given its slim size. Elizabeth Longford's magisterial Victoria RI is far more worth your time.
Heather
Jul 02, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I visited Kensington Palace last Monday. Whilest there I saw and heard a few things aboout Queen Victoria and thought it would be interesting to find out more about her. I found this book really well written. I love that it is written in an informal way, almost like a novel. I learnt a lot about Queen Victoria and her family and am looking forward to reading more biographies by Erickson on other historical figures.
Diana
A good, quick (compaired to some of the books I've read on her) biography of Queen Victoria. This books doesn't pull any punches, it shows both her bad and good sides in equal measures. I've never read a bad book by this author, and picked this one up just because of the authors name being on the cover. If you enjoy Royal biographies this is a good one for you.
DeAnna
This is a good, brisk biography of Queen Victoria, with enough detail to make it interesting without making it a giant tome. (It comes in at a modest 264 pages, plus endnotes.) It has rather a negative view of her as a ruler, but still maintains a compassionate tone. I would have liked one more chapter at the end to summarize the social changes that took place over her reign.
Carie
Sep 19, 2010 Carie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
After Young Victoria, I was very much interested in learning more about her life. SO fascinating. How she came to be queen, how the royal family works, I really had no idea. But after she met Albert and they got married, I quickly lost interest. Don't judge. I've never pretended to be a smarty-pants.
Julie
Oct 16, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, book-club
It was an interesting read. The fact that it was written like a novel made it more enjoyable. I'm not quite sure how I felt about Queen Victoria though... I vacillated between being really irritated with her and respecting her. I hated her relationship with Albert. After he died, I think I liked her more.
Barbara
Oct 27, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a well written biography of Queen Victoria. I didn't know much about her, and this was both interesting, informative, and entertaining. Recommend for anyone who'd like to know more about her and her abiding love for Prince Albert and the legacy they left to England and Europe in the form of their generations of offspring.
Teresa Verigan
Jul 08, 2015 Teresa Verigan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical bio buffs
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
I'm researching Queens of England for a project I'm working on and started with this bio of Victoria. It was really easy to get through, and the author tried to incorporate 'scenes' into the history to make it seem more novel like, which helped.
Ruth
Dec 07, 2010 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hugely enjoyable read. This book had sat on my bookshelves for many years before I read it, now I wish I had read it sooner! A very informative, well researched book of the life of Queen Victoria. I have read other books by the same author which are just as good as this one.
Meleece
I stopped reading because the author appeared to hate Victoria and idolize Prince Albert. You know it's a poor piece of historical nonfiction when the author biasly takes real people and makes them so one-dimensional.
Emily Von pfahl
This is a 3.5 star rating. We always think of royalty leading these wealthy and powerful lives. It is therefore a bit shocking to discover the truth of the matter. By no means is this an outstanding biography, but it is a good starting point for learning about Queen Victoria.
Arianna  Bonardi
Sep 16, 2013 Arianna Bonardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ultimi 20 anni in tre capitoli, la pecca di molte biografe ma lettura molto gradevole :) Però, arivacce all'età sua. S'è vista passà davanti un secolo importantissimo :)
Ezra Hood
A quick, and very informative read. Erikson is a thorough-going bleeding heart lib, and her sentiments seep through.
Analee
Oct 20, 2011 Analee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The movie "The Young Victoria" led me to this book. I enjoyed it greatly; not too detailed, just right.
Manisha
Jul 27, 2013 Manisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book! Brings to life Queen Victoria with in all her simplicity as well as all her imperfections!
  • Queen Victoria: A Personal History
  • Sovereign Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England
  • Queen Victoria
  • Victoria an intimate biography
  • Queen Victoria
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • Dearest Vicky, Darling Fritz
  • Queen Victoria in Her Letters and Journals
  • Victoria's Daughters
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
  • Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of The Original People's Princess
  • Queen Victoria, From her Birth to the Death of the Prince Consort
  • We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals
  • Becoming Queen
  • An Uncommon Woman - The Empress Frederick: Daughter of Queen Victoria, Wife of the Crown Prince of Prussia, Mother of Kaiser Wilhelm
  • The Tudors
  • Royal Charles: Charles II and the Restoration
Distinguished historian Carolly Erickson is the author of The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette, The First Elizabeth, Great Catherine, Alexandra and many other prize-winning works of fiction and nonfiction. She lives in Hawaii.

More about Carolly Erickson...