Start by marking “Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists” as Want to Read:
Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists

Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists

A workshop-style book, oriented to the wide community of crafters and artists including those interested in paint, surface design, mixed media, and collage, which explores a wide variety of innovative and experimental paint techniques. Chapters cover composition, abstraction, texture, layering, using found objects, encaustic, integrating text, and adding digital imagery.
Published March 1st 2009 by Quarry Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists

Andee
Sep 17, 2009 Andee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another great buy, even though I bought it sight unseen, something I rarely do with books. So many art books are lacking in technical info and simply eye candy books of inspiration, this book is anything but that. FILLED cover to cover with info, I can only imagine Ann's workshops are a joy to attend. I have one shelf in my library where I keep my top favorite reference books this book is on that shelf and I curl up with it often.
Lauren
Jun 18, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, the projects were presented really well, with step-by-step photographs and instructions. However, many of the tips and techniques I had recently read about online and for the price of the book I suppose I was expecting something a little extra.

That being said, it's handy to have a book on hand to refer to for easier access than the internet when painting.
Sep 20, 2012 liberal sprinkles rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The artworks are gorgeous, I love the author's use of colors and techniques although the pieces featured here don't vary much in look or style. Ann Baldwin discusses textures, layering, using words and working with encaustics with great aplomb and visual examples. However the techniques covered are not new so if you're an experienced mixed media artist, I would check out the book first before buying it.

Yaaresse
Art is so subjective. Even art books are subject to taste since the samples of work shown are a big part of the package.

I just didn't find anything in this to inspire me, and I think part of that is that I didn't care for the examples of the finished pieces. (Maybe it would have been more interesting had three been examples by lots of artists instead of just the author's work?) The examples were all of same style, same techniques, same mood and colors, and none of it very attractive or interest
Marianne Mullen
Great book for artists who want to explore new techniques in mixed media. A lot of wonderful art and imagery pictured.
Janelle
Feb 09, 2012 Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Helpful information on mixed-media painting. I loved the step-by-step painting projects. It was really helpful to break the painting down by layer. I liked that the author included information on mixed-media encaustic painting. However, I would have liked to see more explaination on the mixed media aspect of encaustic and less on the basics of encaustic. I also enjoyed the section on using digital photographs in mixed-media painting. Overall a very informative and inspiring book.
Cara
Really enjoyed this book--both the art and the advice on techniques. I really want to take a class on encaustic, even more so now than before I read this.
Palma
Jul 27, 2012 Palma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. The instructions are very clear but the colours that are suggested to buy may be a bit heafty on your wallet.

It mostly deal with collage work and briefly touches on encausting. It's a largisg book that is ringbound which makes it lay flat and ideal when following instructions.
Mary
Aug 29, 2009 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. Looked really inviting at first glance - and I enjoyed that first colorful glance. But as I went through the pages more carefully, I lost interest as I couldn't fit myself into the exercises.
Crystal Puckett
I looked this over in Barnes and Noble and intend to buy it. It looks like a very good guide for someone wanting to learn mixed media painting (like myself).
James T.
Jun 14, 2012 James T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I really enjoyed this book and it definitely showed me some new techniques that I could use in my own art. I can't wait to try some of them!
Merilyn
May 15, 2011 Merilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for learning mixed media techniques.
Laura Lawless
Helpful and inspiring.
HarlotRusse
HarlotRusse marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Tiffany Perry
Tiffany Perry rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Amhirceaga
Amhirceaga marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Donna Earley
Donna Earley rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Skj
Skj marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Alejandro Baeza
Alejandro Baeza marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Brandi
Brandi rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Jordan Queior
Jordan Queior marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Karen Nelson
Karen Nelson rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Mieke
Mieke marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques
  • True Vision: Authentic Art Journaling
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • Daring Adventures in Paint: Find Your Flow, Trust Your Path, and Discover Your Authentic Voice-Techniques for Painting, Sketching, and Mixed Media
  • Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-media Techniques for Successful Transfers
  • Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks & Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings