Orson Welles, Vol. 1: The Road to Xanadu

Orson Welles, Vol. 1: The Road to Xanadu

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this first installment of his masterful biography, Simon Callow captures the chameleonic genius of Orson Welles as only an actor/director deeply rooted in the entertainment industry could. Here is Welles’s prodigious childhood; his youth in New York, with its fraught partnership with John Houseman and the groundbreaking triumph of his all-black Macbeth; the pioneering r...more
Published February 1st 1997 by Penguin Books (first published 1995)

Tej
I was disappointed to start this and realize it's just volume one. The author is an actor, so he has a lot of discussion about the craft, which is good if you're "in the business" but since I'm not I got kind of bored. Otherwise not a bad bio.
Linda
Well-researched, entertaining, and critically written. The most objective of the Welles biographies. Callow has a compelling voice, equally compassionate and unsparing in its examination of a remarkably gifted, flawed, and conflated subject.
Bérénice
Dec 11, 2008 Bérénice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any fan of Orson Welles/broadway/theatre
This is a fantastic, very detailed and rather objective biography of the boy genius of the theatre world. 600 pages about Welles for only the first 26 years of his life is a lot, but definitly worth all the details.
The author basically tells Orson's early life around the plays he directed and that were his life at the time. It is amazing to me how a 14 year old kid was able to succesfully direct Shakespeare plays and even write a book on how to understand Shakerpeare's work.

The book gives great...more
Caroline
I've been reading this book slowly over the past six months or so, which seems appropriate to a book that covers a long, diverse period in a fascinating career. The chapters about Orson's child-and-young-adulthood are enthralling, and do a lot to explain the man and artist he eventually became. The latter part of the book has the most to say about his career in theater (which was the part I knew least about) but also covers his work in radio, and has an involved, interesting account of his life...more
Beth
Incredibly entertaining -- Callow is a delightful narrator -- but maybe a little too detailed in some places and not enough in others. If you have more than a little interest in Welles I recommend it highly.
Andrewh
This is a superb biography, albeit somewhat overdetailed for my tastes - do we really need to read every single review (as we do, seemingly) of every play the young boy genius put on in the 1930s? Otherwise, excellently written, erudite and balanced, and without the hagiographic strain so evident in many biographies of great artists (and he was a great film director, if a hammy actor). This book only takes us up to the making of Citizen Kane (the Greatest Film Ever Made of course), so there is p...more
Jnagle4
A larger than life personality like Orson Welles deserves a larger than life biography, and Simon Callow rises to the occasion. From the age of five, Orson Welles was lauded as a genius by his parents, teachers, colleagues and the media. While the greatness of Citizen Kane,The Mercury Theatre on the Air and his productions of Macbeth and Julius Caesar cannot be denied, Welles' true genius was creating the myth of Orson Welles. The Road to Xanadu chronicles his life from birth to the release of C...more
Christian
Jan 02, 2008 Christian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: theater enthusiasts
A biography of Welles that covers childhood to the release of Citizen Kane. He had some astonishing good fortune in his youth that made it possible to do some extraordinary things, and the second part of the book devotes about 200 pages to what he accomplished onstage with the Mercury Theater. These productions include The Cradle Will Rock, which is the subject of a movie of the same name that explores the intersection of art, business, and politics in the 40s. The author is also an actor and di...more
Adam Watson
Covers Welles from birth to the premiere of Citizen Kane. Well-researched, witty, sometimes a bit long in the details, but rarely boring. Callow's expertise in theater and film -- he's starred in both -- wasn't a suprise, but I wasn't prepared for how Callow is a good writer. There's a lot of myth-making about Welles, and Callow is able to deliver the entertaining story while seeking out the truth.
Peter
A thoroughly over-indulgent presentation (Callow’s prose style is insane) of the first twenty six years of Orson Welles life and career (everything preceding The Magnificent Ambersons). While Welles was a genius, he was equally a charlatan and it is hugely refreshing to be provided with an honest and highly critical examination of the man for the change. I look forward to reading the second volume!
Kent Huffman
One of the most fascinating biographies I've ever read about one of the most fascinating people ever involved in theater. The first volume covers his life from his birth and upbringing through his early rise through theater, radio, and Hollywood and the beginning of his disillusionment with the entertainment industry of the 30's and 40's.
Michael Locurto
A terrific biography of the larger-than-life Welles. This first volume of two covers the period up until the release of Citizen Kane in 1941, when Welles was only 27. Simon Calllow does a great job separate the fact from the myth, especially when you consider Welles loved self-mythology.
Edward Gero
An incredible insight to the audacious personality who excesses at such an early age made such an impact on the theater. The parallels to a certain Artistic Director in Washington, DC are uncanny.
Diane
An unbelievably well-researched, complex biography of a complex artist. Certainly puts the train wreck of his later life into perspective.
Jonathan Butcher
I think Orson Welles is an interesting cultural/historical figure and Simon Callow does a good job of passionately telling his story.
Beth
May 29, 2007 Beth marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography
Looking forward to this; but with the third volume not likely to come out for many years, I don't feel much of a need to rush.
Travis Drow
Terrific. That's the only word to describe this one. This book is a total masterpiece.
Michael
In addition to being an extraordinary actor, Callow is a superb biographer.
Sophiaalmaria
I've read several O.W. biographies and these are my favorite.
Lee
Aug 30, 2007 Lee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Welles fans and fans of literary biography
The best film/theater biography I've read - it's just wonderful.
Kasparius
Kasparius marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Leo Keil
Leo Keil marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Holger Haase
Holger Haase marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Robby Peters
Robby Peters marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Mikołaj Florczak
Mikołaj Florczak marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Joy Stadler
Joy Stadler marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
  • Goldwyn
  • Chaplin
  • The Films in My Life
  • Herzog on Herzog
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • The Emperor and the Wolf: The Lives and Films of Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune
  • Bogart
  • The Stanley Kubrick Archives
  • Easy Riders, Raging Bulls
  • The Name above the Title
  • Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors
  • Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow
  • Cassavetes on Cassavetes
  • Kinski Uncut
Orson Welles, Vol. 2: Hello Americans Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World Being An Actor The Night of the Hunter Charles Laughton: A Difficult Actor