Start by marking “The Pleasures of Men” as Want to Read:
The Pleasures of Men

The Pleasures of Men

2.75  ·  Rating Details ·  1,215 Ratings  ·  261 Reviews
Kate Williams' first novel, The Pleasures of Men, is a gothic thriller with a splash of brutal murder.

Spitalfields, 1840.

A murderer nicknamed The Man of Crows.
A heroine with a mysterious past and a vivid imagination.

Catherine Sorgeiul lives with her Uncle in a rambling house in London's East End. When a murderer strikes, ripping open the chests of young girls and stuffing
Published January 19th 2012 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Pleasures of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pleasures of Men

samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
I love historical fiction and this was a fantastic read. A nail biter the who done it that kept me guessing until the end.
Lou Robinson
Feb 06, 2012 Lou Robinson rated it did not like it
Absolutely dreadful, I gave up after 50 pages. I did actually read the historical notes at the back, and strangely (or maybe not), they made for much better reading. Unfortunately, I think this is a case of an author with a background in historical research and factual writing, who is obviously passionate about Victoriana, turning her hand to novel writing, and overcooking it. Sorry Kate, didn't do it for me.
Blair
In 19th-century London, Catherine Sorgeiul is living an isolated life in Spitalfields, where she is confined to her uncle's home. An insular and slightly disturbed young woman, she has a troubled history which always seems to be threatening to rise to the surface. When a serial killer, nicknamed 'the Man of Crows' by the press, starts to strike around Catherine's home, she becomes convinced she can get inside the heads of both murderer and victims, and that she is the only person who can solve t ...more
Original review:

Better review tomorrow -- too brain-dead tonight -- but overall this was very good. (Bonus: I see from the Reading Group thingee that the author is currently working on a second Victorian novel about a governess & the mysterious family she works for. SQUEE.)

Update:

Days after finishing this, I'm still somewhat stumped in the review department. The advance praise page has a blurb comparing this to Sarah Waters & Michael Faber, which isn't a bad analogy; certainly the sexua
Jane
Jan 21, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Goodness!

This is wonderful, and not at all what I was expecting from a historian turned novelist.

This is deliciously dark Victoriana.

I was pulled straight away into 1840, into the dark, crowded, dirty streets of East London.

The Man of Crows, a serial killer who has done terrible, terrible things to earn that soubriquet walks the streets and the city lives in fear.

Catherine Sougeil lives with her uncle in Spitalfields and she is troubled. She remembers a happier time when she lived with her paren
Roger Kean
Jan 02, 2012 Roger Kean rated it it was ok
The review blurb says Kate Williams is "hugely promotable,' and "has a fantastic media profile," all of which is undoubtedly true. BBC TV presenter, author, and reviewer, she's described as "a stunning new voice in historical fiction." The blurb also tells us that Williams took an MA in Creative Writing, and this shows its hand on almost every page of this novel; so over-written it's overwrought.

The Pleasures of Men follows the overheated imagination of a frustrated Victorian girl, damaged in so
Melissa
Jul 30, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it
I'm actually a bit mad at myself for sticking with this book which turned out to be a huge let down and a waste of my time. I kept thinking it would get better or the storyline would make sense but it never happened. Word of advice to those thinking about reading this: if you get about 50 pages in and you don't like it - don't keep reading. It doesn't get better.
Nikki
Apr 16, 2012 Nikki rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, crime, lgbt
I don't know what to think of this book. It has a certain allure, something that kept me reading, but at the end I put it down and had difficulty pinning down anything I liked about it. There's an intense sexuality about it, and an interesting portrayal of a mentally fragile young girl and how people play upon her mind and manipulate her, and enjoy observing her. The atmosphere of the story is excellent, and the historical setting seems well researched and quite vivid, but... I didn't feel much ...more
Lauren
The Pleasures of Men read like a badly televised version of Henry James The Turn of the Screw with a dash of Sarah Waters and Michael Cox added in.
There isn't any new ground covered in this novel. I didn't learn anything about the human condition of why people are attracted to serial killers. Blaming yourself for a dead relative might make a good case for a ghost story but this girl was just a drama queen.
I wasn't satisfied by any of the relationships established here.

The story of a prickly girl
K
Aug 06, 2012 K rated it it was ok
The Pleasures of Men by Kate Williams is, contrary to the title, a mystery set in 1840s England. Catherine Sorgeiul, an orphan, lives with her eccentric uncle on Princes Street, and is on the verge of being a spinster. Forced by her uncle to try to find a suitable match, yet limited to her dismal and eerie home in a lower-class part of London, she yearns to escape from the drudgery. When the Man of Crows begins to wage war on poor girls throughout the city, and leaves them dead in the position o ...more
Perhaps part of my confusion with the plot of The pleasure of men is due to the fact that I read it during finals week....but I don't think so. Based on the general consensus of other reviewers on Goodreads, I think Kate Williams intended to write a gothic Victorian mystery, but instead wrote a convoluted, overwrought tale which tried to do too much and succeeded at very little.

Meet Catherine, a young woman with a tragic past (which slowly gets revealed during the first 1/2 of the book). She
Catherine Clarke
Oct 26, 2012 Catherine Clarke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
About five stories in one - the author clearly could not decide which one to tell and so told all of them. The thriller I was expecting failed to materialise and the ending was predictable and dull.
Éponine
Feb 20, 2012 Éponine rated it liked it
Catherine Surgeiul non è la tipica eroina vittoriana: impacciata e distratta, spesso si perde nei meandri della propria immaginazione. E' poco curata nell'aspetto e, in compagnia di altre persone, si sente costantemente a disagio.
Catherine ha un segreto che verrà svelato poco a poco: la ragione per cui ha visto la propria famiglia e la propria vita dissolversi per far posto ad un grandissimo ed opprimente senso di colpa. Per anni le è stato ripetuto che è stata lei la causa del male che ha dist
Susan
Jul 08, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Catherine Sorgeiul lives in Spitalfields with her uncle. Previously, she had lived in Richmond with her parents and brother, but there are hints of some tragedy which means Catherine has lost her family. The full story only becomes clear as the book unfolds, but it is obvious that Catherine is a very tragic and unhappy young girl. The house she lives in with her uncle is a "cabinet of curiosities", set in a poor area where few respectable people visit. Those that do, Catherine is wary of. Her un ...more
Deirdre
Feb 09, 2013 Deirdre rated it liked it
This should have been a winner with me, a pre-Peeler Victorian murder mystery with an undercurrent of mental illness, this one was largely a miss for me. There were moments that worked, but overall it just wasn't me.

Catherine Sorgeiul lives in Spitalfields with her Uncle. She is getting older and there is a possiblilty that she won't find a husband. Her uncle is eccentric and she herself is prone to what were referred to as fits of imagining. She has spent some time in institutions after her mot
Cheryl
May 30, 2012 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Someone is murdering women. The murderer however does take the time to nicely arrange the women by braiding their hair and stuffing the end of the braid in their mouth.

Catherine Sorgeiul lives with her Uncle. She is supposed to be a proper lady and that means she does not have much of a life. With lots of time on her hands, Catherine soon finds herself drawn to the murders. Catherine starting writing about the murders. However, Catherine’s writing brings her into the killer’s sight.

This book s
Louise
Feb 07, 2013 Louise rated it it was ok
Neeuqdrazil
I could not get into this. It was disjointed, skipping around between POVs (I think? No, I'm pretty sure. Unless those other POVs were dreams...)

So, yeah. Confusing. The villain(s) were telegraphed (badly) from the beginning, but some others (Mr. Janisser the younger) didn't act appropriately (ETA: by which I mean that his character wasn't consistent - his behaviour jumped around a lot), and there were no reasons given.

I don't know - I couldn't get into it - the main character (Catherine?) did
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: recs, lgbtq
A cleverly crafted, darkly twisted novel that examines the psyche of Catherine, our troubled, unstable narrator. The story follows Catherine's increasing obsession with a string of brutal murders committed by the nicknamed "The Man of Crows". Throughout, she creates stories in order to better understand The Man of Crows and to unravel the mystery as to why the murders are occurring.

But, Catherine is, of course, an unreliable narrator ...
Helen
Sep 27, 2012 Helen rated it did not like it
Word soup. If anyone knows what this is all about, let me know. Actually, on second thoughts, don't bother.
Desislava Walsh
Apr 16, 2016 Desislava Walsh rated it did not like it
Shelves: less-than-zero
A waste of time this.
Trite, superficial, pointless.
Went nowhere, gave nought.
Feb 19, 2017 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
not worth my time reviewing.

could have been a good plot but was poorly executed.
Laurie
Dec 20, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it
Set in 1840’s London, ‘The Pleasures of Men’ tells the tale of orphaned nineteen year old Catherine Sorgeiul after she is taken in by her uncle. Uncle lives in genteel poverty amidst books and anthropological artifacts. Encouraged to not think about the tragedies of her past that led her to be institutionalized for a time, but given nothing to do that interests her, she becomes obsessed with the Man of Crows, a serial killer who is targeting young women. To try and get a handle on how he thinks, ...more
Sue Smith
Jul 29, 2012 Sue Smith rated it liked it
I've got mixed feelings on this one, I won't deny that. On one hand it was a story with a lot of potential - serial killer in Dicken's London, preying on women and disposing them in a most gruesome manner, all murders seemingly coming closer and closer to one particular, by all accounts, troubled young woman. It had all the hallmarks of a darn good read. And what a cover!! Sucked me right into the vortex ... had me with the bloody knife being gently held by a fragile ivory hand.

Sucker!

Sadly, it
Kitty Honeycutt
Sep 30, 2012 Kitty Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
Book Title: "The Pleasures of Men”
Author: Kate Williams
Published By: Hyperion/Voice
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: In the rousing age of Victorian England comes a terrifying story of mystery and murder. This novel is on par with some of the darkest tales of Jack the Ripper, I found myself cringing from the detailed horrific scenes of young girls murdered by a killer dubbed the ‘Man of Crows.’ The heroine is a young girl herself, named Catherine Sorgeiul.
Goi
Susan
Oct 23, 2016 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, hist-fic
Billing this book as a Victorian mystery might be a misnomer. Maybe more of a thriller? But I found it to be confusing and the storyline convoluted, with the narrator telling the stories of the murdered women through their perspective.
The recurring drama of the narrator's background, combined with the lack of development of the other characters, made it difficult for me to stay engaged.
Katie Whitehouse
Feb 15, 2013 Katie Whitehouse rated it did not like it
Really tried with this book, but just not my cup of tea! It was too dark for my taste and the plot was a bit hard to follow.
Janette Fleming
Feb 07, 2012 Janette Fleming rated it liked it
I love this review by blogger MADAME GUILLOTINE so I am unashamedly using it...I thank you.

"‘Catherine Sorgeiul lives with her Uncle in a rambling house in London’s East End. She has few companions and little to occupy the days beyond her own colourful imagination.

But then a murderer strikes, ripping open the chests of young girls and stuffing hair into their mouths to resemble a beak, leading the press to christen him The Man of Crows. And as Catherine devours the news, she finds she can channe
Elaine
May 20, 2017 Elaine rated it did not like it
I'd-rather-stick-pencils-in-my-eyes!
Eve
Aug 06, 2012 Eve rated it liked it
When I first laid eyes on the UK cover of The Pleasures of Men by Kate Williams (left), I just had to have it. The bloody knife against the velvet Victorian dress, pale skin, and red lips - all spoke of something creepily subversive and gothic. The synopsis, when I read it, supported my wild excitement. When I got my copy, which bore the US cover (below) - I was disappointed with its now mundane, boudoir look, but I was still beyond eager for the story.

I thought for sure I would like The Pleasur
  • Poet's Cottage
  • Emma Brown
  • Little Bones
  • Grace Hammer : a Novel of the Victorian Underworld
  • The Solitary House (Charles Maddox #2)
  • The Somnambulist
  • Mistress of Mourning
  • A Bloodsmoor Romance
  • Accidents of Providence
  • The Observations
  • The Flower Reader
Hello! Thank you for visiting my page. It's a great privilege to be on here - and to say hi to readers. Thank you very much for all your support and interest in my books! My twitter account is @katewilliamsme and I have a facebook page for Kate Williams author, come and say hello! I'm always thrilled to hear from you and your thoughts about my work.

I grew up in a very modern house in a dormitory
More about Kate Williams...