Start by marking “Thistle Down” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Thistle Down

Irene Radford

Thistle Down (The Pixie Chronicles #1)

2.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Dusty Carrick lived in the small town of Skene Falls, Oregon, her entire life. And, like many of the local children, she played with "imaginary" Pixie friends in Ten Acre Woods.

But the Pixies are not imaginary at all, and Ten Acre Woods is their home. Now, the woods are in danger, and if it falls, the Pixies too will die. Only Thistle Down, exiled from her tribe and trapp

Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Thistle Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thistle Down

Jody Mena
Jun 01, 2015 Jody Mena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Interesting premise, enchanting setting, but the plot lacked focus and fell flat at the end, with too many loose ends left flailing to the hum of pixie music. Unless there's a sequel in the works, this book turned out a bit disappointing, though not too much, because you have to get your expectations up to have them severely dashed, and the waffling manner of the writing didn't get my hopes up too high. I enjoyed the uniqueness of the characters, and the transformation of Dusty's character was i ...more
Jen A.
Sep 02, 2011 Jen A. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Well, this wasn't exactly what I was hoping I'd get myself into when I picked up one of Radford's books. I'm a big fan of her Dragon Nimbus and Dragon Nimbus History series, and a few pages into Thistle Down I expected perhaps a book more aimed at a young adult audience. I was disappointed, and spent the majority of the next 296 pages alternatively rolling my eyes and wondering if I really even cared to finish it.

Thanks to a mandatory evacuation from my building at work followed by a road block
AJ
Aug 15, 2012 AJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if there's much I can say about this that hasn't already been said by other reviewers, but I guess I'll give it a go for the benefit of my friends.

This book is a very light and shallow read. If not for the fact that the characters are all well into their twenties, it would feel like a not-particularly-good YA novel. There's a general lack of depth and real adversity -- Although there is a central conflict to the plot, I never felt any sense of urgency about whether or not the heroes wou
P. Kirby
Sep 20, 2011 P. Kirby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Somehow, against all odds, overcoming my usual lack of stick-to-it-tiveness, this book did not become a DNF. There was a touch of skimming in the last two chapters, but I read it from cover to cover, possibly as a object lesson to myself.

Even though I write the other variant of urban fantasy (ass-kicking heroine solving paranormal crimes and saving the universe), I'm more of a fan of the kind written by the likes of Charles De Lint. Quieter stories where the magic creeps into the edges of ordina
Sara
Oct 21, 2013 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In short, this book is about a pixie turned human who has to assist her human friends in saving the local wood from logging. It sounded like a good moral tale but ultimately fell somewhat flat on that front.

It certainly was not a bad book, but it was mediocre. My biggest complaint is that there was a mystery aspect of the book wherein the characters were trying to determine who was responsible for the logging threat and I felt that portion was somewhat poorly executed since our main characters
Brittany
Oct 11, 2014 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not enjoy this book...I feel the characters were shallow, and the writing was awkward. That being said, the plot had some interesting aspects, but I feel the author used inappropriate means to reveal information...sometimes going so far as having one of the characters simply state a full explanation in an unnecessary monologue. I forced myself to finish it, but will not be reading the second book. I have previously read, and enjoyed, the author's first Dragon Nimbus book "The Glass Dragon" ...more
Ruby Ridge
Not good nor bad, an easy reading airport book
Jayme
Dec 01, 2011 Jayme rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Meh... this book was ok. I liked the whimsy of it, but I didn't enjoy how it ended, because it was left too open and there's no indication that there may be a follow up. Plot was a little disjointed at times, and once in awhile there would be things that just came out of no where. But a pretty quick read though.
Amy
Sep 24, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a joke. The only reason I read it to the end was that I was curious to see what was going to happen. I couldn't tell if it was written for teens or adults with the corny writing style and then random strong cuss words. Never again will I read this book or any of her others for that matter.
Karen Chong
Feb 12, 2012 Karen Chong rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The book was okay, but the end felt sort of unfinished. Although the "bad" guys were stopped, there seemed to be some things that were unresolved. What was the ultimate fate of the Patriarch Tree? What will happen to Thistle Down now?
Jeanne Boyarsky
This was really cute, light reading. It was pretty obvious what was going to happen but enjoyable regardless. Not a great book, but not a bad one.
Sophie
Oct 12, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2011-list
A cute story that could be considered as YA. I wished to see more pixies, though.
Sophia
Aug 15, 2014 Sophia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was unresolved, and the plot was dry and slow to me.
April
Jun 01, 2011 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Will post a DNF review tomorrow.
Kristin
May
May rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2016
WildHart
WildHart rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Sandra
Sandra added it
Aug 23, 2015
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Amanda Robinson
Amanda Robinson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Donna Worsley
Donna Worsley marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A pseudonym used by C.F. Bentley. Also known as P.R. Frost.

Irene has been writing stories ever since she figured out what a pencil was for. Combining a love for Medieval history and a fascination with paranormal, Irene concentrated on fantasy writing.

In her spare time, Irene enjoys lacemaking and is a long time member of an international guild. Check out THE LONELIEST MAGICIAN, The Dragon Nimbus #
More about Irene Radford...

The Pixie Chronicles (2 books)
  • Chicory Up (The Pixie Chronicles, #2)