Start by marking “The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes” as Want to Read:
The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes

The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  298 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Successful trading is 80% psychological and 20% methodological. Emotion is the enemy of successful trades. That's why, even with a modest knowledge of fundamental and technical information, the trader who is in psychological control will be the winner in the trading environement.
Published April 1st 1990 by Prentice Hall Press

To ask other readers questions about The Disciplined Trader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disciplined Trader

Matthew
May 23, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: markets
Great book, and fascinating descriptions of the nature of thoughts, beliefs, emotional energy, etc. Some people might think it's vague mumbo jumbo, and I agree it's somewhat vague, but interesting conceptually and probably approaches the truth. Certainly, it's helping me become more aware of my emotions in the markets. Still, the value of a trading book is in its application, and in the results. I feel like this will help, but we shall see.
Jack Hart
Jul 21, 2012 Jack Hart rated it it was ok

This is a hard book to review because on the one hand it's not very good, but on the other hand were it a little better organized, a lot less repetitive, and were the sentences not so flat and grinding, one senses it could have been a trading classic. Its virtues are its sincerity, the sense that its author is immersed in thinking through the inner game of trading, and his willingness to risk hyperbole to convey his convictions.

Goodreads reviewer Matthew Phann recorded a reaction that I recogni
Joseph
Jun 06, 2013 Joseph rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I ve read in term of giving me a solid framework to understand my own behaviour. Example what is fear and why distortion happens between what is inside (mental environment) vs outside (physical environment).

The author goes to the extent of detailing existence ( our physical self occupying time and space and our thoughts ( nondimensional and above time limit). It just blew my mind away.

I have a habit of writing down certain nuggets of wisdom (esp quotes or insights
Mark Q.
Apr 10, 2014 Mark Q. rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-books
The book was recommended by a trader I respect, however I find the writing so bad--repetitive, confusing, pointless sentences, actually, entire chapters that are gibberish--that I don't understand what the trader saw in this book. I find myself talking to the author saying "really, this is the best that you can do?". A friend told me that the entire book is captured in the last two chapters. I'm going to skip the rest of the books and see if he was right.

In one of the reviews on this site someo
Steve
Mar 24, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: forex traders
If you are considering trading financial markets, consider reading this. Trading takes discipline and self knowledge. Nothing you can 'learn', because you have it; you have to adjust you r belief system to realize it. 99% of all those who tray to trade in financial markets (as opposed to 'invest'), lose everything. The brokers and other vultures see them coming. It is the biggest scam known to man. But you can 'beat the system'; it all depends on your perspective of success.
Richard
May 06, 2016 Richard rated it liked it
Brilliant.
Jason Field
Dec 08, 2014 Jason Field rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trading
All in all a book every trader needs to read and use as reference source. Invaluable resource that will be related to when different circumstances and thoughts/emotions are encountered.
Some cross overs exist with "Trading in the Zone" another book by Mark Douglas but not significantly, and at times the writing can feel a little dry and repetitive - however the knowledge attained out of this book is all worth it, whether it is new or refreshed.
Danmcgohan
Aug 04, 2014 Danmcgohan rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting. Successful economic trading is 80% psychological. Mr. Douglas teaches how to eliminate past beliefs that interferes with rational decision making. Although the book is concerned with economic trades, the methods taught can apply to most all areas of life.
Ruzica
Mar 24, 2013 Ruzica rated it it was amazing
tata Haimanot
May 10, 2016 tata Haimanot rated it it was amazing
Learned a lot. know I need to apply what I learned :)
Peter Dyer
Jan 19, 2014 Peter Dyer rated it did not like it
terrible book
Valery Bartashevich
Jan 31, 2016 Valery Bartashevich rated it really liked it
classics
Terry Kim
May 29, 2016 Terry Kim rated it really liked it
A good book on psychology and behavior of successful traders. Bulk of the book is more focused on the self-development, psychology and philosophy to a successful life (not so much trading specific). There were parts where I found the book quite boring but the last few chapters had some good points, such as practical tips on how to develop yourself as a successful trader.
Alvin Lim
Sep 07, 2012 Alvin Lim rated it really liked it
Offers rare insight from an expert in the dynamics of trading psychology. Shows why most traders are unprepared for the strategies required for success in trading, and why behaviors which are learned to function effectively in society are often formidable psychological barriers to trading profitably. Shows that the chaos isn't in the markets...it is in the trader's head Pr
Pancho Quinzan
Pancho Quinzan marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Neal
Neal marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Kristian Nordquist
Kristian Nordquist rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Jio Henares
Jio Henares marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Roxy Moran
Roxy Moran marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
jordan strader
jordan strader rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Chase
Chase marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Filip Eđut
Filip Eđut marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Mandeep Gill
Mandeep Gill marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Passavin Kaewlumpoon
Passavin Kaewlumpoon rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Fakir Yahya
Fakir Yahya marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Apoorva Raval
Apoorva Raval marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Dushi Uzelac
Dushi Uzelac marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Matthias Jørgensen
Matthias Jørgensen marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Rechielle
Rechielle is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2016
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • How to Trade in Stocks
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
  • Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques
  • The Battle for Investment Survival
  • Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques: A Contemporary Guide to the Ancient Investment Techniques of the Far East
  • Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets
  • Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
  • Calculus for Dummies
  • Trader Vic--Methods of a Wall Street Master
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Trading and Exchanges: Market Microstructure for Practitioners
  • The Psychology of Trading: Tools and Techniques for Minding the Markets

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »