Start by marking “Threshold” as Want to Read:
Threshold

Threshold

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  2,179 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Over the hot southern land of Ashdod looms the shadow of Threshold, a massive pyramid which the Magi of Ashdod are building to propel themselves into Infinity, a plane of existence that holds the promise of technological magics and supposedly unimaginable power. For decades, thousands of slaves have lost their lives in the construction of this edifice. Now that this constr ...more
Hardcover, 1st U.S. Edition, 448 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Tor Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Threshold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threshold

Tom
I read this book a long time ago, when I was a teenager with already a lot of fantasy under my belt. Unfortunately, that meant I didn't enjoy this book at all. Filled with cliches, blatant errors (you don't call elementalists Necromancers, you just don't, not without showing ignorance of the genre and/or disrespecting your readers).

The core romantic relationship in this book is (unintentionally) based around Stockholm Syndrome, and there really isn't anything surprising in here. Sorry, can't ple
Sylvia
Strong start. Terrible middle. Blech ending. I really liked the initial concept of the story and the main character was interesting... And then it went off the rails into this ridiculous Stockholm syndrome relationship and the main character lost all integrity as an interesting heroine. In fact she became a very weak narrator and flimsy lame damsel. Boo.
Nancy
one of my favorite things about Sara Douglass's work is that her protagonists are not always heroes, and things don't often work out cleanly for all involved. I know a lot of people don't like that, but to me, it's a delightful strength, because it's less predictable and more real than a lot of fantasy writing.

in this book, our heroine spends a lot of time forgiving people for pushing her around, and lamenting her own confusion, until events force her to take charge of her own fate. unfortunatel
Ron
Okay, a three point five.

Never really connected with the protagonist.

Too many plot crises solved too easily...and too soon. The first half of the book should have been edited to half it's length.
Krizia Anna
It was an okay book. The first half was really good and exciting. I really loved the Tirzah - Yaqob - Boaz love triangle. The plot was also exciting. I was really anticipating what evil lurks in Threshold. But after Tirzah and Boaz got together and the evil from Threshold was released everything went downhill. The second part was kind of boring. I wished it was shortened by the author. A lot of unnecessary and silly stuff like the Fetizzah. It was really weird. Also the author made use of a lot ...more
Robin
It was all right. The main character started really bugging me about halfway through the book. I just couldn't handle (view spoiler) I feel that the story could have been told just as well with Isphet being the main character. I liked her much better. But either way, the book did not need to be as long as it was.

I did like the interesting information about glassmaking, and the magic systems.
Emma
I love this book. It is worth reading and has some interesting things to say on the number one. Makes math look like fun ha ha
Kat
It felt slow to start, but by the end, I had a hard time putting it down. I felt something lacking in the development of the main character. Her reaction to horrific situations was not believable. It really felt as thought the author, who had no difficulty in writing positive emotions like love just simply could not really grasp writing horror, betrayal, etc. However, it might have just been that character. The development and transitions of the other primary character were much better done, and ...more
Amanda
This was a really interesting fantasy read. Throughout the novel there are a lot of mysteries and shocks. For the vast majority of the plot, the twists were logical. I did have a problem with the logic of the ending. I felt that it was a bit of a cop out and the author changed her mind at the last minute. This is reflected in the sloppiness of the plot logic. I am glad it ended the way it did, I just believe that it could have been executed better.

This book is a rare thing in that I enjoyed the
Sarah Kelly
Dec 10, 2013 Sarah Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Awhi Te hea, William Howard, Ali, Izzy Toker
Recommended to Sarah by: Matt Davie
My poor, hapless friends have repeatedly had this book thrust under their noses, followed by angry demands that they find this book and read it. This book renewed by affection for the fantasy genre, and for that I am ever grateful. Sara Douglass, you have now been elevated to one of my favourite authors. Congratulations. I absolutely adored this book.

Threshold is a great stone Pyramid erected by the Magi - an order of sorcerers in Ashdod which seek a union with the One, and believe Threshold wil
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Hold me, sooth me, touch me, love me.’

This is the story of Ashdod, a land which mathematician Magi control. The Magi worship the number One with its representation of Infinity. For generations, a pyramid, Threshold, has been under construction: it represents the perfect mathematical formula that will enable the Magi to touch and then to step into Infinity.

Thousands of slaves have been drafted into the construction of Threshold. Among them is a young and gifted glassworker who has been renamed T
Kayla Sharpe
as much as I enjoyed this book, there were aspects that I thought were a bit under developed. Tirzah was too agreeable, perhaps that is her chatacter, but it seems a bit unrealistic. Parts of the story also seemed too rushed, particularly towards the middle and end of the book. Other all though, I read the book in a few days, so an enjoyable read.
Lynne Cantwell
Tirzah and her father, master glassworkers, have been sold into slavery to pay his debts. They end up working in a desert land on a project called Threshold. The Magi, who are causing this pyramid to be built, believe numbers are the key to perfection in all things, and that Threshold will be their bridge to union with Infinity. The most severe among them is the Emperor's nephew Boaz.

Tirzah's skill at working glass is augmented by her magic. She is an Elemental, one who hears the speech of glass
Corinne
Charl van Niekerk
The first half of the book set a great scene, but then the whole story fizzled out somewhat right when it should have kicked things into high gear.
Charlotte
I really enjoyed the character development of Boaz from the Magus to his true self. Once that transformation was effected, his character lost some depth for me. Tirzah was a very endearing character and her perspective kept me emotionally engaged in the story.
I always enjoy Douglass' mythology and this was no exception. Her description of the glass working was vivid and beautiful. The cold reasoning of the Way of the One was believable and sad.
I gave it only 3 stars because the last quarter of
Sueij
Wow, very nicely done.

Sara Douglass creates a new world with a new kind of magic that holds together quite well, as long as you're not a math geek who wants the finer details. Most interestingly, in the first half of the book there's an event in the planning that clearly needs to be stopped. The whole world might, fairly literally, end if the event is not stopped. It seems obvious that the event will be stopped, we just don't quite know how. And then the event happens anyway.

If you like fantasy
Ralitsa Ivanova
This is one of the most amazing books I have ever read! It is wonderful to see how simple human feelings can be transposed to a small book. It really reminds me of the saying that we don't know how far the ripples of our decisions go. It is a book full of compassion, love, adventure, hope and strength. I did read few more books of this author before but I think this is my favorite one! I think I will never get bored rereading it. Plus you must read this one to understand the bridge between the s ...more
Kelli
So glad I stumbled onto this one!
Jennifer Thompson
A great read. Not an overcomplicated plot, I liked the elemental magic idea - the artisans that 'hear' and see something within the medium they work with. Yes, you could pick out quite a "huh,what?" moments in the plot (as one person has said the Elemental Magicians as Necromancers is just wrong) but sometimes it's better to just 'go with the flow' For once it was nice that the story was not dragged out into a 3 plus mega-read. Another Sara Douglass book that once started is hard to put down.
Logan
Wow. I don't know what else to say...just wow. Sara Douglass is always able to enthrall me with her story-telling, but this one grabbed me and didn't let go. Some parts seemed a little rushed, something I wasn't used to in a Douglass book, but it was still a great read. I've never fallen so completely for a character I've known so briefly. Wonderful. If you've read the Wayfarer Redemption and plan to read Darkglass Mountain...you MUST read this first!
Hope Ramsay
I picked this book up from a freebie table at the Moonlight and Magnolia's writers' conference a number of years ago, and boy did it make a fan out of me. This is one of the best romantic fantasies I have ever read. There is an utterly improbably but deeply emotional love story in this book along with a wonder bit of world building. I only wish the Twisted Citadel books, which carry a portion of this world forward, were as good.

Jon
This is the first novel I read by Sara Douglass and it lead me on to read the Druid's Sword series and the Serpent Bride series (which actually ties back into this novel). I was so impressed with the non-traditional fantasy setting and the magic system, that I probably overlooked some factual discrepancies (especially as it relates to stained glass). Even so, I highly recommend this novel to one and all.
Rachel MacNaught
i enjoyed it quite a bit, really. a one sitting short book that at least struck me as unusual within a genre full of cliches. but in the end, the 'final battle' lacked in so much. it felt cheesy. it all amounted to little for me and i walked away from it feeling it should have ended differently (via a different plot device, really) and gone on for at least another hundred pages to give it more depth.
Lowry
I really love how Ms. Douglass makes the characters real enough that it's easy to empathize with them, and the world just different enough that it's interesting, but not so far out there that you need to diagram it in order to follow it through the story.

A very good stand-alone book that I was yet sad to see didn't seem to lead naturally into two or five more.
Cheryl
Interesting world/setting, intriguing plot. My one complaint would be the main character spends a lot of time waiting for things to happen or screaming/crying about what is happening, and not enough time acting with agency. Which is not to say she is useless--she does act with some agency, but she wasn't as strong a character as I'd have like to see.
Jeanne
This book is seperate from The Axis trilogy and The Wayfare Redemption but the characters turn up in Sara Douglass's new book The Serpent Bride. It was really engaging. Some of it may be a little hard to obsorb. I know some people had problems with the relationships between men and women but it pulls through in the end.
Meghan
This book is amazing. I have to agree with some of the other posters, that this is a love story based on Stockholm Syndrome, but it's a good one. The story is well written, as only Ms. Douglass can. The places are real and the characters believable. I was enthralled with the story even if it was centered around mathematics.
Kathleen
This is a fantastic book that I've re-read many times over the years. Love it!
Robert
The first half of this book, which gives a detailed description of the society, customs, and religion of the world, followed by the espionage of a glassworking slave, is extremely well done. In the second half it turns into a more run of the mill good-vs-evil fantasy quest, which leaves a bit to be desired.
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #2)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • Odalisque (Percheron, #1)
  • The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas ...more
More about Sara Douglass...
The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1) Enchanter (Wayfarer Redemption, #2) Starman (Wayfarer Redemption, #3) Sinner (Wayfarer Redemption, #4) Pilgrim (Wayfarer Redemption, #5)