Start by marking “Threshold” as Want to Read:
Threshold

Threshold

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  2,432 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Over the hot southern land of Ashdod looms the shadow of Threshold, a massive pyramid which the Magi of Ashdod are building to propel themselves into Infinity, a plane of existence that holds the promise of technological magics and supposedly unimaginable power. For decades, thousands of slaves have lost their lives in the construction of this edifice. Now that this constr ...more
Hardcover, 1st U.S. Edition, 448 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Tor Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Threshold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Threshold

Tom
May 04, 2011 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago, when I was a teenager with already a lot of fantasy under my belt. Unfortunately, that meant I didn't enjoy this book at all. Filled with cliches, blatant errors (you don't call elementalists Necromancers, you just don't, not without showing ignorance of the genre and/or disrespecting your readers).

The core romantic relationship in this book is (unintentionally) based around Stockholm Syndrome, and there really isn't anything surprising in here. Sorry, can't ple
Nancy
Mar 15, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
one of my favorite things about Sara Douglass's work is that her protagonists are not always heroes, and things don't often work out cleanly for all involved. I know a lot of people don't like that, but to me, it's a delightful strength, because it's less predictable and more real than a lot of fantasy writing.

in this book, our heroine spends a lot of time forgiving people for pushing her around, and lamenting her own confusion, until events force her to take charge of her own fate. unfortunatel
Sylvia
Aug 15, 2012 Sylvia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Strong start. Terrible middle. Blech ending. I really liked the initial concept of the story and the main character was interesting... And then it went off the rails into this ridiculous Stockholm syndrome relationship and the main character lost all integrity as an interesting heroine. In fact she became a very weak narrator and flimsy lame damsel. Boo.
Ron
May 08, 2009 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay, a three point five.

Never really connected with the protagonist.

Too many plot crises solved too easily...and too soon. The first half of the book should have been edited to half it's length.
Krizia Anna
Mar 25, 2011 Krizia Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: sara-douglass
It was an okay book. The first half was really good and exciting. I really loved the Tirzah - Yaqob - Boaz love triangle. The plot was also exciting. I was really anticipating what evil lurks in Threshold. But after Tirzah and Boaz got together and the evil from Threshold was released everything went downhill. The second part was kind of boring. I wished it was shortened by the author. A lot of unnecessary and silly stuff like the Fetizzah. It was really weird. Also the author made use of a lot ...more
Robin
May 07, 2014 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It was all right. The main character started really bugging me about halfway through the book. I just couldn't handle (view spoiler) I feel that the story could have been told just as well with Isphet being the main character. I liked her much better. But either way, the book did not need to be as long as it was.

I did like the interesting information about glassmaking, and the magic systems.
Gemma Henry
Sep 29, 2016 Gemma Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I read this book for the first time many years ago - and cannot tell you how many times I have read it since!

Since then I have adored Sara's novels and read almost everything she has ever written (Especially the Serpent Bride/DarkGlass Mountain series - and also the Troy Game series). I was very sad to hear of her passing many years ago now.

Gosh. So many positive points to this novel. I'll start with the world building (which is relevant across every book). I was instantly immersed in the worl
Emma
Feb 12, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is worth reading and has some interesting things to say on the number one. Makes math look like fun ha ha
Kat
Feb 11, 2014 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It felt slow to start, but by the end, I had a hard time putting it down. I felt something lacking in the development of the main character. Her reaction to horrific situations was not believable. It really felt as thought the author, who had no difficulty in writing positive emotions like love just simply could not really grasp writing horror, betrayal, etc. However, it might have just been that character. The development and transitions of the other primary character were much better done, and ...more
Amanda
This was a really interesting fantasy read. Throughout the novel there are a lot of mysteries and shocks. For the vast majority of the plot, the twists were logical. I did have a problem with the logic of the ending. I felt that it was a bit of a cop out and the author changed her mind at the last minute. This is reflected in the sloppiness of the plot logic. I am glad it ended the way it did, I just believe that it could have been executed better.

This book is a rare thing in that I enjoyed the
Sarah Kelly
Dec 10, 2013 Sarah Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Awhi Te hea, William Howard, Ali, Izzy Toker
Recommended to Sarah by: Matt Davie
My poor, hapless friends have repeatedly had this book thrust under their noses, followed by angry demands that they find this book and read it. This book renewed by affection for the fantasy genre, and for that I am ever grateful. Sara Douglass, you have now been elevated to one of my favourite authors. Congratulations. I absolutely adored this book.

Threshold is a great stone Pyramid erected by the Magi - an order of sorcerers in Ashdod which seek a union with the One, and believe Threshold wil
Jennifer (JC-S)
Mar 07, 2010 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Hold me, sooth me, touch me, love me.’

This is the story of Ashdod, a land which mathematician Magi control. The Magi worship the number One with its representation of Infinity. For generations, a pyramid, Threshold, has been under construction: it represents the perfect mathematical formula that will enable the Magi to touch and then to step into Infinity.

Thousands of slaves have been drafted into the construction of Threshold. Among them is a young and gifted glassworker who has been renamed T
Barbara
Tigress (Warrior Elf)
I'm not sure that I want to read this anymore. In the Kindle sample, the main character and her father are enslaved, because her father's drinking, gambling, etc. has landed them in debt. However, our heroine blames herself, because when the guards or whatever broke in to arrest her, she dropped the vase she was working on, which was apparently so fine that it could've paid off all their debts. She's so damn passive that she isn't angry at her father AT ALL, even though the bastard has effective ...more
Kayla Sharpe
as much as I enjoyed this book, there were aspects that I thought were a bit under developed. Tirzah was too agreeable, perhaps that is her chatacter, but it seems a bit unrealistic. Parts of the story also seemed too rushed, particularly towards the middle and end of the book. Other all though, I read the book in a few days, so an enjoyable read.
Laurie
Feb 13, 2016 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Sara Douglass so I was happy to find this book at the used book store. There is a lot to like, the storyline, many of the characters, the "religions" she created. I some times find the characters read a little too much like romance novel characters but I can look past that for an interesting new world.
Lily
Aug 20, 2015 Lily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-fantasy, magic, adult
LOVED IT! Threshold was stressful at times, but OH MY GOSHHHHH! I couldn’t put it down because I absolutely HAD to make sure somebody I liked didn’t die. ;P And many people died. They were all depressing. ...BUT SO GOOD! *Rolls all over the floor squeezing*

One of my favorite parts about the story was Boaz’s transformation. (view spoiler)
Lynne Cantwell
Dec 11, 2011 Lynne Cantwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Tirzah and her father, master glassworkers, have been sold into slavery to pay his debts. They end up working in a desert land on a project called Threshold. The Magi, who are causing this pyramid to be built, believe numbers are the key to perfection in all things, and that Threshold will be their bridge to union with Infinity. The most severe among them is the Emperor's nephew Boaz.

Tirzah's skill at working glass is augmented by her magic. She is an Elemental, one who hears the speech of glass
Apr 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just in case you don't know,this and Beyond the Hanging Wall are prequels to the Darkglass Mountain series. And that series is after Wayfarer Redemption.

That said, this is an incredible collection of books set in the same world.
Please don't take my word for it or anyone's opinion against it.
Always try it out for yourself!
Corinne
Megan
May 24, 2016 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's taken me a long time to digest this book...man eating pyramid and all. Despite the sometimes unsavory main relationship, the book is actually interesting and worth a look if only for its uniqueness.
Charl van Niekerk
The first half of the book set a great scene, but then the whole story fizzled out somewhat right when it should have kicked things into high gear.
Suzanne Fajardo
Jan 28, 2016 Suzanne Fajardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has nuances of the Jewish plight in Egypt -- even the names sound somewhat Old Testament.
Charlotte
Apr 13, 2008 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed the character development of Boaz from the Magus to his true self. Once that transformation was effected, his character lost some depth for me. Tirzah was a very endearing character and her perspective kept me emotionally engaged in the story.
I always enjoy Douglass' mythology and this was no exception. Her description of the glass working was vivid and beautiful. The cold reasoning of the Way of the One was believable and sad.
I gave it only 3 stars because the last quarter of
Sueij
Apr 25, 2009 Sueij rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, very nicely done.

Sara Douglass creates a new world with a new kind of magic that holds together quite well, as long as you're not a math geek who wants the finer details. Most interestingly, in the first half of the book there's an event in the planning that clearly needs to be stopped. The whole world might, fairly literally, end if the event is not stopped. It seems obvious that the event will be stopped, we just don't quite know how. And then the event happens anyway.

If you like fantasy
Ralitsa Ivanova
This is one of the most amazing books I have ever read! It is wonderful to see how simple human feelings can be transposed to a small book. It really reminds me of the saying that we don't know how far the ripples of our decisions go. It is a book full of compassion, love, adventure, hope and strength. I did read few more books of this author before but I think this is my favorite one! I think I will never get bored rereading it. Plus you must read this one to understand the bridge between the s ...more
Kelli
Aug 21, 2014 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad I stumbled onto this one!
Jennifer Thompson
A great read. Not an overcomplicated plot, I liked the elemental magic idea - the artisans that 'hear' and see something within the medium they work with. Yes, you could pick out quite a "huh,what?" moments in the plot (as one person has said the Elemental Magicians as Necromancers is just wrong) but sometimes it's better to just 'go with the flow' For once it was nice that the story was not dragged out into a 3 plus mega-read. Another Sara Douglass book that once started is hard to put down.
Logan
May 30, 2008 Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2008
Wow. I don't know what else to say...just wow. Sara Douglass is always able to enthrall me with her story-telling, but this one grabbed me and didn't let go. Some parts seemed a little rushed, something I wasn't used to in a Douglass book, but it was still a great read. I've never fallen so completely for a character I've known so briefly. Wonderful. If you've read the Wayfarer Redemption and plan to read Darkglass Mountain...you MUST read this first!
Daisy
Apr 28, 2016 Daisy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #2)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)
  • The Well of Tears (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #2)
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
  • Odalisque (Percheron, #1)
  • The Tower of Ravens (Rhiannon's Ride, #1)
Douglass was born in Penola, South Australia. She attended Annesley College, in Wayville, a suburb of Adelaide. She studied for her BA while working as a Registered Nurse, and later completed her PhD in early modern English History. She became a lecturer in medieval history at La Trobe University, Bendigo. While there she completed her first novel, BattleAxe, which launched her as a popular fantas ...more
More about Sara Douglass...