Start by marking “Impossible Dreams” as Want to Read:
Impossible Dreams

Impossible Dreams

In this Hugo Award-winning story, movie buff Pete discovers a video store stocked with DVDs of films that were never made: a director's cut of The Magnificent Ambersons; Harlan Ellison's version of I, Robot; The Death of Superman directed by Tim Burton; and even more impossible visions. But there's something even more interesting than the remarkable movies: the woman ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published May 17th 2011 by Tropism Press (first published July 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Impossible Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impossible Dreams

Shoa Khan
Jan 18, 2016 Shoa Khan rated it it was amazing
"Sure, movies can be a way to hide from life, but shit, sometimes you NEED to hide from life, to see a better life on the screen, to know life can be better than it is, or to see a worse life and realize how good you have it. Movies taught me not to settle for less.”

This Hugo-winner is the story of a cinephile Pete, who stumbles upon a dubious-looking, out-of-this-world video rental place by chance, and discovers that there is more to it than meets the eye.

This was a FANTASTIC short read fille
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Pete felt a fist of panic clench in his chest. “This isn’t a movie,” he said.
“No,” Ally said. “It’s better than that. It’s my life.”

Now here's a story for all the movie-lovers out there.

Imagine a parallel universe were to interact with ours in the form of a little video store filled with movies that were never made in our world. A parallel universe where history developed differently and Clark Gable never played in Gone with the Wind.

And now go read this short story!

*Read this for our May Shor
Irakli Bakuridze
Mar 05, 2016 Irakli Bakuridze rated it it was amazing
- ელი, ვფიქრობ, ეს მშვენიერი მეგობრობის დასაწყისი შეიძლება იყოს.
ელიმ წარბები აზიდა.
- თითქოს რაღაცის ციტირებას ახდენ, მაგრამ არ ვიცი რის.
- ჩვენ ბევრი ფილმი გვაქვს სანახავი, - თქვა პიტმა.
- არა მხოლოდ ფილმები, - უპასუხა ელიმ
Sandeep
Jan 24, 2016 Sandeep rated it it was amazing
This little gem gives all the good reasons to be a movie freak. Great comparisons are made by author between movies and one's life.
Mira Yunus
May 22, 2016 Mira Yunus rated it it was amazing
Can I give this a 6 stars? It swept me off my feet, well-written, fast and I don't expect it to end so impossibly cute. Easily one of my favorite sci-fi short stories of all time.
Bharath Thampi
Sep 07, 2016 Bharath Thampi rated it it was amazing
I might be a lesser movie buff than Pete in the story is, but I still do watch a hell of a lot of movies. And this is one short sweet story for Cinephiles.
poiboy
Nov 08, 2016 poiboy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story with a refreshed theme (that has been used over and over in scifi and fantasy). It was the perfect length.. even if I wanted more.
Bookaholic
Literatură despre lumi paralele și nesfârșitele lor posibilități în relitățile alternative s-a scris și se va mai scrie. În Impossible Dreams Tim Pratt și-a ales din acest univers de lucruri care se întâmplă în paralel cu alte infinite universuri de lucruri un subiect încântător în aparenta lui lipsă de importanță vitală – felul în care s-ar putea termina filmele în alte lumi.

Printr-o defecțiune în matrice, sau chiar o gaură în toată regula, în lumea lui Pete apare în fiecare seară, pentru scurt
Dione Basseri
There are so many movies that could have been (coughArtemisFowlcough), and, for a movie buff, there mere thought of them is a source of great sorrow and deep fantasy. Pete, one of the biggest movie buffs there is, discovers a new rental place in town, but it's a bit weird. All the movies offered shouldn't exist. So he has GOT to watch these!

This was a pretty fun piece. I'm used to melancholy and fatalistic sci-fi, focusing on the flawed nature of man and our inevitable destruction, but this is j
Mike
Mar 29, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You couldn't ask more of a miracle than it was willing to give."

A short story that greatly benefits from a tightly focused premise: a film fanatic (Pete) stumbles upon a video store with a very strange inventory. Pete's reaction to this and interaction with the clerk provide a deceptively simple framework for a well developed tale with two characters who feel genuine despite the absurdity of the situation. More than once Pete's actions had me thinking "that's what I would do."

There are passages
Alberto Garcia
Aug 14, 2012 Alberto Garcia rated it really liked it
Un relato muy cortito pero muy bonito. Una manera perfecta de contar una historia muy intersante y mezclarlo con un alegato a favor del cine que todos conocemos, el cine que hemos visto y el que podríamos haber visto. No digo más. Aunque está en inglés, se sigue perfectamente y si os interesa es muy facil encontrarlo en archive.org. Ánimo, que dura lo que se tarda en tomarse un café.
Adriii
Sep 15, 2012 Adriii rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ciencia-ficcion, cine
Qué maravilla. Un relato que combina el mundo "universos alternativos" con el amor por el cine de una forma maravillosa. Aunque objetivamente se que era algo difícilmente alargable a una novela, da mucha pena no poder conocer más de ese mundo cinéfilo alternativo.

Realmente recomendable. Lo tenéis para leer de forma gratuita en archive.org, no llega ni a las 20 páginas.
Juan
Apr 21, 2012 Juan rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-english-pila
Muy buen relato de ciencia ficción acerca de las particularidades de moverse a través de universos paralelos y con la eterna pregunta de ¿qué pasaría si...?.

Ameno y corto (dos horas como mucho). Ideal para desatascar la mente después de una lectura pesada.

Jesús
Aug 19, 2013 Jesús rated it it was amazing
Este relato, es imprescindible para todo aquellos amantes de la ciencia ficción, a los que le guste tambien el cine de este género.

El relato está disponible unicamente en inglés, pero es un inglés muy sencillo y accesible, así que no es escusa.

Jokoloyo
Apr 23, 2016 Jokoloyo rated it really liked it
I admit I am more biased than usual when rate this story. My pa is a movie-lover, and I watched some classics that mentioned in this story, so I can imagine the protagonist's feeling at the beginning when visited the shop at the first time. This story quickly grasps my sympathy.
Mayank Agarwal
Apr 23, 2016 Mayank Agarwal rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
Cute short story, highly recommended for a movie buff, being one myself i really enjoyed reading it.
Jeff Peters
Aug 19, 2011 Jeff Peters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One of the best short stories I have ever read. I feel bad for the universe in which this story does not exist.
Rusty
Jan 30, 2015 Rusty rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Also, it won the Hugo award for best short story the year it was released. Well deserved too. Can't recommend it highly enough.
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Nikhil Raveendran
Nikhil Raveendran rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Ruslana
Ruslana rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Anastacia Williams
Anastacia Williams rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Rahul Menon
Rahul Menon rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Jose Barros
Jose Barros rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Ken
Ken rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2016
De Jan
De Jan rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Goran Gluščić
Goran Gluščić rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
  • Hell is the Absence of God
  • For Want of a Nail
  • Identity Theft and Other Stories
  • Antihypoxiant
  • The Walls of the Universe (Universe, #1)
  • Venus of Dreams
  • Diamond Dogs
  • The Wandering Earth
  • Two Hearts (The Last Unicorn, #1.5)
  • A Martian Odyssey