Start by marking “Katie John” as Want to Read:
Katie John

Katie John (Katie John #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  803 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Ten-year-old Katie John Tucker did not look forward to the summer she and her parents were to spend in the enormous old house in the small southern town. She hadn't wanted to leave her friends, and she wished that fall would come quickly.But in spite of all her gloomy predictions, Katie John had a wonderful summer. With her new friend, Sue Halsey, she explored the old hous ...more
Published 1960 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Katie John, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katie John

NebraskaIcebergs
“High-spirited, headstrong and misunderstood.” This is how one fan described Katie John, a character created by Mary Calhoun. Those characteristics were reason enough for me during my elementary school days to immediately seek out all of the Katie John books. Even now, despite being in my forties, I still connect with Katie John.

Being high-spirited means life with Katie John is rarely dull. The trait serves her well when Sue comes to visit and she finds Katie John on the trail of blood. Sue imme
Kerith
If you like Anne Shirley, Jo March, Ramona Quimby, Emily Bartlett and the many others who have paraded past us in books for years -- you will love Katie John Tucker. This is the first book in a (too short!) series of four titles wherein Katie explores life, makes friends, and has wonderful adventures in Great-Aunt Emily's big old house. Set in a small town on a Mississippi bluff, the story begins with Katie glum after moving from exciting California to Missouri to sell the big family home before ...more
Amy
B says she liked it.

I enjoyed the way the book was written - it made for a good read aloud. I thought some of the adventures were very relevant and interesting for B (age 9) and a few were pushing the envelope a bit (or were just less relevant to her life) but nothing innappropriate. We liked the adventures that came from the big old house itself esp. the dumb waiter.
Colleen
This was a childhood favorite that my daughter gave me for Christmas. How fun to go back in time and remember how I loved reading and the adventures I would go on. This book always made me want to live in the Midwest. After living here for 14 years I am still looking for the Midwest of that book.
Too neat of a package to be believable but kind of fun nonetheless. The highly fictitious nature of this book bears resemblance to an episode of Leave it to Beaver. But, come on, sometimes it's a relief to pretend everything does work out for the best in 23 minutes or 144 pages.
Melody
Re-read. I love this book. Katie John c'est moi! Goofy, ham-handed, good-natured and well-meaning, she blunders her way through her 10th year in this sweetly nostalgic story. The supporting characters are a joy, too.
Alyssa
I loves Katie John books when I was younger, and it was fun to re-read this. It took place in 1960 and I read it in the early 1980s. I remember then feeling how far in the past the book felt, and that feeling was much stronger (with better reason!) this time. The book doesn't have a strong plot; the story revolves around the only child in family that moves from California to Missouri to sell an aunt's house but each chapter is a fairly distinct story of a random day in Katie John's life and it's ...more
Amy Flink
This is the first in a wonderful series about a 10-year-old adventurous tomboy named Katie John Tucker who moves from California to Missouri with her parents in order to sell her deceased Great-Aunt Emily's estate. At first, Katie is not happy in Missouri and she hates the big old house they inherited from her, but as she does some exploring, she meets a friend, dear plump Sue, and falls in love with the big old house and so does her parents, and soon they can't imagine leaving. The book starts ...more
Lisa
This was one of the books Mrs. Scott, my second grade teacher read to the class after lunch. At the time I admired Katie John. She seemed adventerous and not afraid to get dirty. She had spunk.

When I read the book recently, however, I discovered Katie John wasn't as spunky as I'd remembered. In fact, her greatest adventure was spying on the grumpy next door neighbor with her friend, Cindy (I think that was here name). The rest of the time she was an obedient helper at home--a place her parents t
Rebecca McNutt
Rather boring at times and not the most original, but I loved the Katie John series when I was a kid and Katie is an easy character for children to relate to if they've ever had to travel or move away to a place they were unsure of.
Debbie
Cute story about a young girl and her discovery of how a house becomes a home. Readers of Little House on the Prairie would like this 1960's book on friendship and home.
Hillvan
690L. We finally gave up and just did not finish the book, 7yo read about 3/4 of the book, I skimmed the remaining. Katie John is just not a good fit for us.
Tia
Read this to my eight and ten year old this summer because I found it on a list of great books to read about spunky girls. We enjoyed it. Katie John had some admirable qualities aside from her spunk. In one chapter she was in trouble with her mom for something and she didn't go play with her friend even though she'd been looking forward to doing that all day because she had a conscience and felt bad about her naughty behavior. It was a good model for my own sometimes sassy 10 year old. Fun to re ...more
HeavyReader
I had forgotten about the Katie John series until I saw one of the titles at the Social Service League thrift store.

If I remember correctly, Katie John is a very wholesome little girl who has mild adventures. I may be wrong, but I think she was very much like Pollyanna in many way: cheerful; smart, but not brilliant; hardworking; obedient; maybe mildly naughty, but only to give the book a little excitement. Can Katie John really manage to entertain the children of the 21st century?
Melissa
A first-time read for me.
Must admit that I fell in love with the house before I fell in love with Katie John. I found some of her adventures rather annoying, but then there would be this spark of realness that kept me going. However, up until the last chapter, I was pretty sure that I would not be moving on to the sequels. And then, my love of the house took over and I know I'll have to read more, just to find out about the house's new life.
Mckinley
Adventures - ghosts, bones, lemonade stands and the like.
Kara
LOVED Miss Katie John. Another lively, spunky, regular girl heroin after my own heart.
Does anyone remember the book where her mom puts hot potatoes in Katie's pockets
for warmth and she is teased at school? Was it called Hot Potato Katie or am I dreaming?
S.
Aug 24, 2010 S. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Spunky, clean reading...apparently the first book in a series (which would really appeal to R and other 10 year old girls). I don't remember reading this when I was young but this book is the reason S built secret passages in her new house.
Emily
Feb 07, 2013 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls/people with daughters
Recommended to Emily by: found it in school library, I imagine
I loved this book as a child and am enjoying reading it to Mimie now. It's our first "big girl book" with only one picture per chapter. Mimie is completely engaged in the story and was actually scared when Katie was stuck out on that raft.
Erin Maynard
An absolute gem from my childhood. A slightly younger, slightly scrappier version of Nancy Drew, Katie John and her escapades vicariously made my summer almost as good as hers.
Kelli
I haven't read this since I was a kid, but I loved it when I was younger. I immediately remembered it and want to find it so my kids can enjoy it as well.
Julie
It was still cute, but not as good as when I read it in gradeschool. It is dated enough that it makes me reluctant to share it with my 5th grader.
Betsy
Yet another true love from my childhood, along with the two sequels (and yet another sequel which I discovered as an adult).
Saralyn
I loved reading the adventures of Katie John as a child. She got into all sorts of scrapes and I loved her for it.
Rachel
Laughed at this until I cried as a kid. I just found a nice hardback for $1 at the library sale. It's still lovely.
Sue Wargo
A sweet step back in time when stories written for children were innocent & full of adventures.
Jessica Howard
Such a fun book - I loved reading my mom's beat-up old copy of this when I was a kid.
Alicia
Rachel says, "She kind-of acts a little silly at first, but then it's good."
Kiwi
  • The Secret Language
  • Betsy Was a Junior & Betsy and Joe
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #4)
  • Henry Reed, Inc.
  • Beany Malone
  • The Trolley Car Family
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Thursday's Child
  • Caddie Woodlawn's Family
  • The Long Secret (Harriet the Spy #2)
  • The Golden Egg Book
  • The Little Leftover Witch
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)

Katie John (4 books)
  • Depend On Katie John
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • Katie John and Heathcliff
Honestly, Katie John! Depend On Katie John Cross-Country Cat Hot-Air Henry The House Of Thirty Cats