Start by marking “Upcycling: Create Beautiful Things with the Stuff You Already Have” as Want to Read:
Upcycling: Create Beautiful Things with the Stuff You Already Have

Upcycling: Create Beautiful Things with the Stuff You Already Have

Renowned environmental lifestyle expert and Today Show regular Danny Seo shares 100 of his most inspiring projects for creative transformation. Have neglected items around your house? They can be the source for exciting craft possibilities! Turn your old leather belts into a cool doormat (or even a briefcase!); worn-out paperbacks into gorgeous bud vases; tennis balls into ...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by Running Press

To ask other readers questions about Upcycling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upcycling

LGMF
Jan 18, 2012 LGMF rated it it was ok
Shelves: craftytime
This book looked like it was gonna be great, but I did not think that the materials were "stuff you already have." Unless you happen to keep five plastic bananas, an abundance of paint stirrers or quick drying concrete about your house. I wouldn't have a problem with the crafts had it not been advertised this way.
Margaret
Jan 03, 2013 Margaret rated it liked it
I was really excited to find this book at the library as I'm really "into" up cycled crafts. However some of the crafts were just ridiculous! Who would want to make a cement water bottle? The very first project in the book involved cutting up an oriental carpet to make a "bearskin" rug! Nevertheless, there are enough interesting projects within this book to make it a worthwhile read.
Justin
Jul 02, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing
Oh man! This book is so rad! Danny Seo has an interesting mind to be able to pick out all these clever things to make with, well, garbage. I'm excited to try some of his ideas out for myself! I recommend this book to anyone who is even remotely interested in crafting.
April
Feb 20, 2014 April rated it did not like it
Not even one project I'm interested in making. Also I think the title is misleading. Do you have 5 plastic bananas sitting around waiting for a new purpose?
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Apr 09, 2012 Miss Pippi the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafty
"Upcycling is a little bit of recycling, and a little bit of craft."

Upcycling includes ideas for decorating, entertaining, giving, kids and the great outdoors. The setup includes a full-page picture opposite of a page explaining supplies and instructions. I greatly appreciated the visual index in the back which involved a small picture of each project with the page number imbedded in the picture.

Some of my favorite craft projects include...
Plastic-Bottle Hourglasses
Leather Belt Doormat
Fallen-Bra
Marcia
Oct 12, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafters
Great craft ideas using stuff you have around the house. The projects are cool and feel fresh-creations you would be proud to have in your home. I liked that each project is attractively photographed and has a short supplies list with common materials, nothing exotic, and brief directions. They all feel do-able!
Several projects feature using multiple samples for the home store (carpet squares, counter top chips) and this trend pops up on Pinterest too. I appreciated that the author stresses to m
Mandy
Sep 21, 2012 Mandy rated it it was ok
There are very few things in this book that I have any interest in actually making. There are a few great things like the cast-iron pipe hooks and towel rack, the tiered trays made out of mugs and plates and the pots and pans robots. There are also some things that are down right ugly. I love the concept, but the execution was a bit weak. I guess the biggest problem is that a lot of the projects that are so easy a kid could do them look like a kid did them. I enjoy a certain degree of ...more
Maria
Feb 17, 2013 Maria rated it liked it
Most of the crafts aren't that practical or use things that most people don't already have, which belies the title.
For instance, I love the faux-bearskin rug, but it involves cutting up an oriental rug, which most people don't have just lying around waiting to be recycled/upcycled/destroyed.
The project I am planning on trying is the leaf silhouettes. If they turn out as nicely as they look in the book, then it will have earned its three stars.
Sara
Dec 19, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Got this from the library also. Some really great ideas in here. I like it for decorating the more rustic style of our family lake house. Although, others in my family are strongly opposed to a "carfty" look. This book should be perused at a time that is NOT Christmas! I am having trouble getting into any of these ideas, as the time is not available right now. This is a January, February book! But I really liked it!
Karen
Jan 29, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A few great ideas here, but do not believe the line that you will just have this stuff in your home. Not at all. I really liked 1/2 the ideas. Some give inspiration to change a little to work more in line with what you like or need. The other 1/2 might be treasure for another man, but were not at all motivating to me. This book was OK, but I have seen a lot of better ones with the same recycling ideas, but actually had ideas to do with things I had at home already in truth.
Tamara
Jan 22, 2012 Tamara rated it liked it
Shelves: green, crafty

The thing about upcycling is that it is often not eco-friendly at all.

Taking objects that are already useful in their own right (such as clothing, office supplies and tote bags) to make other objects, especially objects that are simply decorative (wreaths, wall art, throw pillows) is not helping the cause.

However, there were some useful projects included, such as:

Restringing a plastic lawn chair, p28
Wine cork bath mat, p36
Carpet sample patchwork rug, p66
CD dumbells, p148
Cindy
Oct 17, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
He has some really cool ideas. This book is a keeper for me, sporting lots of neon pink sticky tags jutting out of the top of many pages. A doormat out of leather belts? Check. String-wrapped scented diffusers? Looks cool and easy. Plenty more great ideas with complete directions and color pictures.
Barb
Nov 17, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hobbies
Loved it! This is why, and I'm direct quoting the description for the Spoon-Plant ID Markers, "If you're stressed, or need to get some aggression out or simply hate spoons, this upcycling idea is for you because you need to hit, hammer, and bang the hell out of spoons to make this." Hilarious! I love this guy and this book! Very clever and creative!
Bunny
Sep 26, 2013 Bunny rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-13
There are some really fantastic projects in this book that I loved.

And there are also some really god awful projects that fall into his own description of "downcycling". Like, in a big way.

I do love the idea of the tennis ball swing, though. I think it would drive our dog absolutely out of his mind.
Kate Woods Walker
Nov 15, 2011 Kate Woods Walker rated it liked it
A book like this one is worth it's weight in glue sticks if I can find one or two good projects for my crafts group, and in Upcycling I found five.

So thanks, Danny Seo for (1)chopsticks trivets, (2)hourglasses from old bottles, (3)potato chip bag "mirrors," (4)twine- and rope-wrapped bottle vases, and (5)plastic water bottle flowers.
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, crafts, diy, nonfiction
Presents over one hundred projects for creative "upcycling"--using used and recycled products to create decorative items in the home, including leather belt doormats, bathroom towel picnic baskets, and a jar lid dining table.

Found craft for creating the tiered jewelry tray here
Stacie
Aug 31, 2011 Stacie rated it it was amazing
I want to do every craft in this book. I'm a novice at crafting, but the ideas are fresh and accessible, the instructions were simple and many of the supplies I could find within 15 steps of my couch. A must-have for reuse fans everywhere.
Ashley
Oct 18, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
I what the fucked at the ideas in this book a few times. Some are just like, okay, where would I even find this, and others I would have no use for. And things like hotel soap and old lipstick containers I don't even keep, sorry.
kelli
Nov 12, 2011 kelli rated it really liked it
Danny Seo is so creative. I marked the pages of items I would try and I have almost every page marked. He really is determined to recycle and makes it hard for you not to follow in his footsteps and think about what changes you can make in your life.
Brady
Jun 06, 2014 Brady rated it really liked it
more 'ideas' than projects. Most have minimal directions, but some great and fun ideas for recycling/upcycling. Very little safety information, so use your own common sense when trying these projects!
Sharon
Nov 16, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Some clever ideas of ways to reuse household items and those easily accessed for new to you, repurposed treasures. The tie wreath is still one of my favorite projects, though not unique to Seo's collection. Nice layout and photos.
Terina
Sep 15, 2011 Terina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like most craft books, not every idea is for everyone. I consider this one a success for me because I found 6 things I like and will be able to do this weekend. Items needed are easy to find from home or thrift shop. Pictures and descriptions are beautiful and useful.
Alexandria Hiam
Mar 18, 2016 Alexandria Hiam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, crafts, diy, nonfiction

Found craft for creating the tiered jewelry tray here
Rhonda
May 11, 2013 Rhonda rated it liked it
I found a few things in here that was interesting. I did like the section of what to have in your basic crafting tool kit and was pleasantly surprised that I already had about half of it. There maybe a few things I will attempt to make.
Dina
Feb 04, 2015 Dina rated it it was ok
There were a few things I would try out. But as for the rest of the stuff, it was just not my style and I don't have those type of things just hanging around my house. But if you are into upcycling and have these things in your house, then you might find this to be a great book.
Mellodi Parks
Nov 12, 2011 Mellodi Parks rated it it was amazing
Loved the ideas and the stories contained between each of the projects of this book. If you're interested in taking someone's trash and really turning it into something fantastic then this book is definitely worth your time and investment. Give this book a try and enjoy!
Audrey
Feb 01, 2012 Audrey rated it it was ok
I got this book because he was on Rachel Ray and had made a really
cool wreath out of newspaper. I thought is was in the book but it was not
There might be a FEW things I would make out of the book but not many.
I thought it would be classier then it was. It mostly just looked like
junk to me.
Krista
Aug 12, 2013 Krista rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-find
After reading this once I thought it was great. Second look through- not so great. Not a ton of upcycling going on. More of buying new crap and dismantling it and putting it back together in other ways.
Bonnie
Dec 12, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafts
Not bad, but I preferred the ideas in The Big-Ass Book of Crafts
Mia
Jul 01, 2013 Mia rated it liked it
Some ideas were just plain ugly, but some were definitely worth doing. Perhaps the best part was the inspiration to use other materials based on ideas I saw in the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • 501 Decorating Ideas Under $100
  • Restore. Recycle. Repurpose.: Create a Beautiful Home
  • The Big-Ass Book of Crafts 2
  • I Spy DIY Style: Find Fashion You Love and Do It Yourself
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • The Feisty Stitcher: Sewing Projects with Attitude
  • P.S.- I Made This . . .: I See It. I Like It. I Make It.
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • The Handbuilt Home: 34 Simple Stylish and Budget-Friendly Woodworking Projects for Every Room
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • The Repurposed Library
  • A Beautiful Mess Happy Handmade Home: Painting, Crafting, and Decorating a Cheerful, More Inspiring Space
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
  • Wise Craft: Turning Thrift Store Finds, Fabric Scraps, and Natural Objects Into Stuff You Love
  • Good Bones, Great Pieces: The Seven Essential Pieces That Will Carry You Through a Lifetime
  • Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches