Start by marking “The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings” as Want to Read:
The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings

The Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  4,792 ratings  ·  175 reviews
Octavio Paz has long been acknowledged as Mexico's foremost writer and critic. In this international classic, Paz has written one of the most enduring and powerful works ever created on Mexico and its people, character, and culture. Compared to Ortega y Gasset's The Revolt of the Masses for its trenchant analysis, this collection contains his most famous work, "The Labyrin ...more
Published January 12th 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1950)

Pedro Páramo by Juan RulfoLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe Labyrinth of Solitude and Other Writings by Octavio PazLos de abajo by Mariano AzuelaThe Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes
Mexican Literature
3rd out of 161 books — 76 voters
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe House of the Spirits by Isabel AllendeLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Latino/Latina Fiction
69th out of 533 books — 791 voters

More lists with this book...

yeah, donkey don, i see no way a twenty year old could get much out of this book... it's so rich and deep that some life lived and a healthy dose of critical thinking is certainly required. paz sets out to do nothing less than try and understand the totality of mexican existence and identity. which, understandably, poses quite a problem. as he puts it:

"The whole history of Mexico, from the Conquest to the Revolution, can be regarded as a search for our own selves, which have been deformed or dis
Christian González
El libro que todo mexicano debería de leer, me tarde tanto en terminarlo a pesar de su breve extensión porque no es posible digerir tanta realidad de golpe, hay que analizarlo, pensarlo y darle oportunidad de que se plante en nuestra conciencia.
La obra de Octavio Paz se mantiene actual y firme al paso de los años, cambiamos tanto para ser los mismos de siempre, con el PRI de siempre y los problemas de siempre, la raza de los derrotados y del, termino aun no acuñado pero ya presente en el inconsc
Feb 29, 2008 Aduren rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
La Chingada es la madre de todos los Mexicanos
The Chingada [translations varies with sentence] is the mother of all Mexicans

I remember I move through Mexico through the years my family lived there after moving from Madrid like a ghost against a compulsory changing Mexico. I traveled the streets where legends are an integral part of both tradition and history just to turn around the corner into a night club. Mexico was a magical land, yet a place of change, or a never moving change. It seemed to
There was a common joke I used to hear a lot when I was a teenager, and that was "Call someone from Mexico a Mexican and they will get angry and tell you they are not Mexican." I found it funny at the time because it seemed to work every time. But in reality, the words must have cut far deeper than I imagined. And after reading Octavio Paz's Labyrinth of Solitude, I can understand why.

Paz brilliantly links Mexico's history with the question of "What makes a Mexican a Mexican?" It pervades every
Jonathan Lucero
El laberinto de la Soledad es un libro que Todo Mexicano deberia de leer, ya que en el podemos encontrar un estudio hecho a nuestra sociedad de una manera critica y libre de malos prejuicios o favoritismos.

Octavio Paz nos hace un recuento del porque de muchisimas cosas que nos aquejan como mexicanos, de una manera soberbia nos habre los ojos y nos explica por que somos unos Hijos de la Chingada, por que emigramos a US, por que exiten los Cholos, Pachucos y Chundos, por que solamente miramos de n
Martin Hernandez
Es casi criminal que a los mexicanos nos pongan a leer este libro ¡en Preparatoria! A esa edad, esta lectura resulta, no sólo aburrida, sino odiosa. apenas lee el joven unas cuantas páginas y saldrá corriendo a copiar algún resumen bajado de la red, para cumplir con la tarea... El resultado, uno termina considerándolo como aburrido e ininteligible, cuando en realidad es un GRAN libro!
Cosa distinta cuando lo lees siendo adulto, con un criterio formado y una idea, no importa que sea vaga, de como
Paz dissects Mexican politics and culture. There were some interesting sections of this book, but he says the same things over and over again, describing Mexico as a palimpsest where Spanish Catholicism overlays itself on Aztec religious theocracy.
There were also some parts of the book I did not care about, such as long discussions of the history of Mexico's many revolutions and a critique of each regime.
Also, Paz states often as generalized facts things that, while he may be trying to present
Edgar Ornelas
This is A MUST for any mexican studying out there. Every school has it on their resumé. The book picture perfectly mexican culture, the pros & cons, the lacks and virtues, the ideas that have remained fixed in the mind of every mexican-born, mexican-raised individual: the genetic mapping of a culture.
I loved the book, I felt somewhat identified & the prose is beautiful and precise. I still don't find Octavio Paz to be the best mexican writer (even if he's the only one with Nobel Prize),
This is a beautifully wrought attempt to unearth and examine some of the deep differences between Mexican and Anglo-American cultures.
In some ways, it still is a valuable tool for interpreting Mexican public culture. What Paz calls 'the Mexican's willingness to contemplate horror' is still very much on display. Paz' description of Mexican language in The Sons of La Malinche' and his meditation on retributive justice in 'The Day of the Dead' are classics of anthropology, poetry and maybe even so
Octavio Paz mastered the role of the one of the most trenchant essayist of the 20th century. Leaving his coat of poet in the corner his gives reader incredible journey to the sole of Mexican nation, more precisely to the soul of Mexican and thus man and his solitude.
With his tremendous skills he analysis Mexican culture and Mexican nations. Día de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead) is perceived from European view as totally hardly to be taken and understood, however Octavio Paz wrote excellent es
My infatuation with the Mexican mask culture must somehow mirror that of the Jungian persona; after all, man is amidst, in the words of José Corostiza, a "wilderness of mirrors."

Paz has created an air of holistic realm, giving psychological, sociological, anthropological, and historical insights and adding the zest of poetry, artistic creation, and the art of love to conclude an interpretation and understanding of Mexican culture so vivid, yet so dark.

The Labyrinth of Solitude presents an argum
I finished reading El laberinto de la soledad almost two weeks ago but left the book on my "currently reading" list while I contemplated what I would include in this review. My theory was, if I left my brain alone to churn, it would eventually settle upon some clever-ish thought or two that would wrap Paz's masterpiece up in just a couple of paragraphs. Like a labyrinth, it confounds me.

So I'll settle for sharing the first three thoughts that come to mind:

1. I didn't find terribly useful the par
Fco Andres
Un libro que cumple su misión clara de ser un ejercicio de análisis y crítica sobre la sociedad y sobre el mexicano.
Desde sus primeros capítulos me capturó al iniciar analizando profundamente al mexicano, desde lo que hace, lo que piensa, como habla y como se comporta. Al ser mexicano y haber vivido en México toda mi vida tuve la posibilidad de corroborar la exactitud con la que este análisis se hizo, y lo que más me sorprendió fue encontrarme cara a cara con lo que Paz llama la "máscara" del me
I like Paz's open-endedness: he can discuss the problems of Mexico (and the world) without dictating an ultimate solution. He knows that our world-view is a choice, a construct, and that we are lost--this is true even 60 years after the first publication of his essay. Progress "has given us more things but not more being". He believes the task, to be able to live comfortably amidst diversity and contradiction, to allow for freedom, yet provide equality and justice, requires a different approach ...more
Fabián Tapia
Me viene a la mente lo que escribió Rafael Squirru sobre Rayuela: "Pobres de las comunidades que no escriben sus libros obligatorios" pues creo fervientemente que "El laberinto de la soledad" es el libro obligatorio para todo mexicano.
Ana Paomv
Éste es posiblemente uno de los libros más profundos y complicados que jamás he leído.

Es impresionante como alguien puede apretujar en pequeño libro de no más de 300 páginas toda una descripción de una cultura tan entretejida y variada como lo es la cultura Mexicana.

Paz esconde en un renglón todo un mundo de significados ocultos, mensajes encriptados y pensamientos implícitos que hacen de esta lectura uno de los textos más ricos, pero también más densos, que uno nunca acaba de comprender por co
Aug 12, 2009 Fabian added it
I usually hate to star-rate nonfictional papers.

If you have read a snippet (and let's face it-- you HAVE: or else you know little about the Mexican race) you get the point. The Mexican is a pariah who wears masks to hide inner feelings (sometimes the repressed bursts out...such as in celebrations), and the country borrows dogmas that do not usually sit well with the Mexicans... ergo disorder, even to this day.

Paz has done a socialogical paper right. He gives authenticity to his thesis-- and stuf
Victoria Haf
Había tratado de leer este libro antes y hace poco lo vi en la biblioteca, pensé que quizá ahora que puedo ver más claramente las diferencias culturales sería mejor leerlo.
Tiene ideas interesantes aunque es bastante deprimente, me gusta el análisis social que hace sobre nuestro uso de palabras, al parecer las malas palabras, las palabras "tabú" siempre son las que dicen más sobre cómo somos, sobre lo que tememos y sobre lo que queremos ser.
Paz...EL Maestro...Marcada como su obra cumbre, al leerlo podrás atestiguar que su opinión de México y el mexicano es fiel, objetivo, pintoresco y lo mejor: está vigente a pesar de que se publicó hace 60 años. Nuestros muertos y nuestro culto a la muerte, el albur, "la chingada" madre de todos los mexicanos, el pachuco. Un buen manual, si no para comprendernos, sí para retratarnos y vernos retratados en él. Buen provecho!
Azael Márquez
Tengo que recordar leer este libro dentro de unos 5 años. Parece que mucho de sus contenidos yacen todavía ocultos, y la juventud que nubla mi vision me deja ver algunas cosas, pero no todas.

El Laberinto de la Soledad es, efectivamente, el libro que todo mexicano debería de leer. Alimentaria a la nación el tener un poco más de perspectiva sobre lo que somos, y esta crítica sobre nuestra sociedad acierta multiples veces en el blanco, aún teniendo en cuenta que fue escrito hace más de 60 años. Pe
Amida Lechuga
This is a book that will not tell you a story, but it will help you understand what is behind every mexican. I love it and I am thankful that it exists.

Este es un libro que no te cuenta una historia, pero te ayuda a comprender lo que se encuentra detrás de cada mexicano. Me encantó, y estoy agradecida por su existencia.
Jonathan Mirus
El Laberinto de la Soledad (1950)

para tratar de reseñar el Laberinto de la Soledad de Paz (1950) tengo que recurrir a que casi por obligación entre la comunidad mexicana lectora (o al menos que aspira a saber más de sí) y si se quiere para la comunidad hispana se da la necesidad de leer este ensayo.

Paz nos trata de dar una idea o su propia noción del mexicano como ser y de México como un todo, y precisamente por esto, lo considero un acto pretencioso, porque ¿no es sino pretencioso juzgar a una
It is really exciting to read Paz because he captures the real meaning of "solitude." for Mexicans, this word is a whole world, an old and new experience of how to see their culture, yet to understand their pre-colombian is a book that teaches you to understand the difference between Meztizo and Criollo...I love reading it.
María Greene
Es súper interesante este libro, pero también súper árido en su lectura, o sea, hay que tener ganas verdaderas de aprender del tema, y no estar obligado por la universidad (cof cof), jajaja.

A mí me gustó aprender sobre las cosas que leí aquí, aunque admito que me di cuenta con el tiempo, cuando lo vi con distancia, y no cuando tuve que absorber tanto conocimiento condensado en tan poco tiempo (universidad, cof cof). Además, ¿no es siempre un poco presuntuoso pretender clasificar a una cultura co

For whom wants to understand the actual mexican society must first understands where we came from and Octavio Paz is pretty much close to the whole explanation.

Dense but very very rich in analysis
Harry Brake
Just finished the extended essays in Labyrinth of Solitude and I see the book in an even different light! AMAZING - and I am in love with this book more than ever! The newer edition of the book has the extended and added essays, this makes a HUGE difference in the book overall! I am in the middle of conversations with students who have a different view, in graduating and living in Mexico all their lives and their view is contrary to what I thought it would be, and opposite of what I expected fr ...more
¿Alguna otra prueba de que es el pais mas surrealista del mundo?
¡¡Me gusto mucho!!
who knew mexico was so awesome.
Ismael de Leon H.
Este libro es un conjunto de ensayos que intentan expresar las características del mexicano, su psicología y su historia. Es muy profundo lo que destaca, sobretodo si tomamos en cuenta la naturaleza poética de su prosa. Éste no es un libro que pueda ser digerido en una lectura rápida; es un escrito para ser conversado y meditado por años. Vale la pena leerlo más de una vez.

Evidentemente, la comunidad de intereses que predomina en el mundo actualmente, posiblemente debido a la intensidad de la co
Rodolfo Barrientos acosta
Tal vez no muchos se pregunten muchas veces cuál es la identidad nacional del pueblo del que nacieron rodeados y del que cada uno formamos parte. Estamos tan obnibulados por nuestra propia realidad y nuestras propias aspiraciones que nos olvidamos que formamos parte de una sociedad, y que es esa misma sociedad la que en parte rige nuestro futuro ¿Cuál es la identidad del pueblo mexicano? o, al menos ¿en dónde podemos hallarlo? ¿en la historia? ¿en la política? ¿en un sistema económico? ¿o en nue ...more
  • Los de abajo
  • El Llano en llamas
  • La noche de Tlatelolco
  • The Death of Artemio Cruz
  • Men of Maize
  • Los recuerdos del porvenir
  • Mexico Biography of Power
  • The Lost Steps
  • La autopista del sur y otros cuentos
  • Confabulario
  • Las batallas en el desierto
  • The Conquest of New Spain
  • The Obscene Bird of Night
  • I, the Supreme
Octavio Paz Lozano (March 31, 1914 – April 19, 1998) was a Mexican writer, poet, and diplomat, and the winner of the 1982 Neustadt International Prize for Literature and the 1990 Nobel Prize for Literature ("for impassioned writing with wide horizons, characterized by sensuous intelligence and humanistic integrity.")
More about Octavio Paz...

“Love is an attempt to penetrate another being, but it can only be realized if the surrender is mutual.” 186 likes
“It is always difficult to give oneself up; few persons anywhere ever succeed in doing so, and even fewer transcend the possessive stage to know love for what it actually is: a perpetual discovery, and immersion in the waters of reality, an unending re-creation.” 57 likes