Start by marking “Three Novels of New York: The House of Mirth, The Custom of the Country, The Age of Innocence (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For the 150th anniversary of Edith Wharton's birth: her three greatest novels in a couture-inspired deluxe edition featuring a new introduction by Jonathan Franzen.

Born into a distinguished New York family, Edith Wharton chronicled the lives of the wealthy, the well born, and the nouveau riches in fiction that often hinges on the collision of personal passion and social c
Published February 29th 2012 by Penguin Classics (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Three Novels of New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Novels of New York

Pat
I read the first book in this collection, "The House of Mirth." . . . . it was frustrating and depressing. I have not moved on to either of the others. I do love the old way of writing so I gave it three stars, but I found the inability of the characters to speak truthfully to each other, which would have made their lives soooo much easier in the first place, irritating! But then, I guess that was how it was in those days.
Nadia
Feb 14, 2007 Nadia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old classic lovers
All three of these books, especially The Age of Innocence, touch on the timeless hypocrisy of life and society. It amazes me how much hasn't changed since 1900..
Amy
I can' t find The Custom of the Country by itself here, but I just recently read it based on a New Yorker article about Edith Wharton. The arricle argued that the novel rivals The Great Gatsby as a commenraey on early 29th century America. I read The Age of Innocence within the last year and am currently re-reading House of Mirth.
Jean Nicolazzo
Except for The Custom of the Country, which was utterly inferior, I would give these volumes five stars. Lily Bart and Ellen Olenska are two of my favorite fictional characters (along with Anna Karenina and Becky Sharpe - could there be a pattern here?), and it's good to be reminded of how few options women had not too long ago.
Emily
So...what can I say about Custom of the Country and The House of Mirth. Well, I the book (they were both in the same collection) across the room on more than one occasion. The characters make you crazy, but you can't stop reading. The Age of Innocence was also excellent. I think I threw that one only once.
Abby
A trip to Edith Wharton's home in New England inspired me to read up, and the Three Novels of Old New York were classic tales of Wharton-era Manhattan: down-on-their-luck ladies, impetuous young men, unwanted pregnancies... You know, stuff we don't have anymore in the 21st century.
Johnida
The Custom of the Country was relatively forgettable. Both The Age of Innocence and House of Mirth are wonderful reads. The movie adaptation of House of Mirth was a horrible train wreck, however.
Wendy
Read The Age of Innocence for book group. Rich descriptions, can see a lot of the author and her loveless marriage in the book. Did not really enjoy it.
E.C. McCarthy
The House of Mirth broke my heart years ago.
Jonetta Mason
Just started it for my women's Lit Class.
Cici
Very heavy without hope stories
Leila
Leila marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Tabby
Tabby marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Zora
Zora marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Daša Drapáková
Daša Drapáková marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Stanley
Stanley marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Nicole Donze
Nicole Donze marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Sarah Belong
Sarah Belong marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Marielle
Marielle marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Ms. Beak In A Book
Ms. Beak In A Book marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Brittany Goldfield
Brittany Goldfield marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • Flappers and Philosophers: The Collected Short Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
  • Hungry Hearts
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Wonderful Books of Oz: The Emerald City of Oz and Glinda of Oz (Oz, #1, 6, 14)
  • Tu nombre después de la lluvia (Tu nombre después de la lluvia, #1)
  • The Arabian Nights: Tales of 1001 Nights, Volume 2
  • Decline of the English Murder
  • Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers
  • Diaries of Court Ladies of Old Japan
  • Language, Thought, and Reality: Selected Writings of Benjamin Lee Whorf
  • The Portable Arthur Miller
  • Thirteen Stories
  • Great Short Stories by American Women
  • The Son Avenger (The Master of Hestviken, #4)
  • En herrgårdssägen
  • The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and Agnes Grey
  • Sanditon and Other Stories
  • Poems by Robert Frost: A Boy's Will and North of Boston
  • Dubin's Lives
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...
The Age of Innocence The House of Mirth Ethan Frome Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction The Custom of the Country