Start by marking “Three Novels of New York: The House of Mirth, The Custom of the Country, The Age of Innocence (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  13 reviews
For the 150th anniversary of Edith Wharton's birth: her three greatest novels in a couture-inspired deluxe edition featuring a new introduction by Jonathan Franzen.

Born into a distinguished New York family, Edith Wharton chronicled the lives of the wealthy, the well born, and the nouveau riches in fiction that often hinges on the collision of personal passion and social co
Published February 29th 2012 by Penguin Classics (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Three Novels of New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Novels of New York

Ea Solinas
America and Europe of the 1800s were stiff, gilded, formal place, full of "old" families, rigid customs and social transgressions.

And nobody chronicled them better than Edith Wharton, who spun exquisitely barbed novels out of the social clashes of the late nineteenth century. "Three Novels of New York: The House of Mirth, The Custom of the Country, The Age of Innocence" contains some of the best work she ever did, exploring the nature of infidelity, passion, social-climbing and a woman's place i
Pat
I read the first book in this collection, "The House of Mirth." . . . . it was frustrating and depressing. I have not moved on to either of the others. I do love the old way of writing so I gave it three stars, but I found the inability of the characters to speak truthfully to each other, which would have made their lives soooo much easier in the first place, irritating! But then, I guess that was how it was in those days.
Mindy Conde
I just finished The Age of Innocence. I read The House of Mirth years ago and loved it, but hadn't read anything else by Wharton until now. I thought that this was a really humorous and interesting look at New York Society. It was rather different than the serious and sometimes upsetting story of The House of Mirth, but I quite enjoyed it. It did seem to drag a bit at the beginning until you began to differentiate the characters and recognize who was who. By far, the best part of the novel is th ...more
Nadia
Feb 14, 2007 Nadia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old classic lovers
All three of these books, especially The Age of Innocence, touch on the timeless hypocrisy of life and society. It amazes me how much hasn't changed since 1900..
Amy
I can' t find The Custom of the Country by itself here, but I just recently read it based on a New Yorker article about Edith Wharton. The arricle argued that the novel rivals The Great Gatsby as a commenraey on early 29th century America. I read The Age of Innocence within the last year and am currently re-reading House of Mirth.
Jean Nicolazzo
Except for The Custom of the Country, which was utterly inferior, I would give these volumes five stars. Lily Bart and Ellen Olenska are two of my favorite fictional characters (along with Anna Karenina and Becky Sharpe - could there be a pattern here?), and it's good to be reminded of how few options women had not too long ago.
Emily
So...what can I say about Custom of the Country and The House of Mirth. Well, I the book (they were both in the same collection) across the room on more than one occasion. The characters make you crazy, but you can't stop reading. The Age of Innocence was also excellent. I think I threw that one only once.
Abby
A trip to Edith Wharton's home in New England inspired me to read up, and the Three Novels of Old New York were classic tales of Wharton-era Manhattan: down-on-their-luck ladies, impetuous young men, unwanted pregnancies... You know, stuff we don't have anymore in the 21st century.
Johnida
The Custom of the Country was relatively forgettable. Both The Age of Innocence and House of Mirth are wonderful reads. The movie adaptation of House of Mirth was a horrible train wreck, however.
Wendy
Read The Age of Innocence for book group. Rich descriptions, can see a lot of the author and her loveless marriage in the book. Did not really enjoy it.
E.C. McCarthy
The House of Mirth broke my heart years ago.
Jonetta Mason
Just started it for my women's Lit Class.
Cici
Very heavy without hope stories
Lb
Lb is currently reading it
May 11, 2015
Sara Laakkonen
Sara Laakkonen marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Annelynn
Annelynn marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Mary Merz
Mary Merz marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
J
J added it
Apr 12, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Ruby-rose Niemann
Ruby-rose Niemann marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Mania
Mania marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Chiara
Chiara marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Randi
Randi marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Mia Pshenichnaya
Mia Pshenichnaya marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • The Penguin Complete Novels of Nancy Mitford
  • Hungry Hearts
  • Wild Strawberries
  • Modern Classics Flappers and Philosophers: The Collected Short Stories Of F Scott Fitzgerald
  • Tales of O. Henry
  • Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers
  • Notre Dame de Paris, T. 2 Lecture Facile A2/B1 (900-1500 Words)
  • Faces of Love: Hafez and the Poets of Shiraz
  • The Son Avenger (The Master of Hestviken, #4)
  • Contra la fuerza del viento (Ciclo de Dreaming Spires, #2)
  • Dubin's Lives
  • Thirteen Stories
  • The Portable Arthur Miller
  • Diaries of Court Ladies of Old Japan
  • Language, Thought, and Reality: Selected Writings of Benjamin Lee Whorf
  • En herrgårdssägen
  • Levantul
  • The Edwardians
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...
The Age of Innocence The House of Mirth Ethan Frome Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction The Custom of the Country