Start by marking “The Curse of One-Eyed Jack (A Dark Hollows Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Curse of One-Eyed Jack (A Dark Hollows Mystery, #1)

The Curse of One-Eyed Jack (A Dark Hollows Mystery #1)

One-Eyed Jack has returned…

FBI crime analyst Kili Brennan has come to Boone Creek, in the Appalachian foothills of Kentucky, looking for her missing brother…looking for answers. Instead, she finds a world of suspicion and superstition. Locals say her brother, and a string of others, may have been killed by One-Eyed Jack—the fabled giant guardian that protects the fantastic
Published (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of One-Eyed Jack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of One-Eyed Jack

Dustin
May 12, 2015 Dustin rated it it was amazing
Kent Holloway's Curse of the One-Eyed Jack is a fantastic little mystery with supernatural tendencies. Ezekiel Crane is an interesting character, and I look forward to the sequel, The Dirge of BriarSnare Marsh!
Cherei
Oct 21, 2012 Cherei rated it it was amazing
What a delightful, quick read! I devoured this book in one sitting! The characters are well developed and you quickly become mentally involved in the deep mystery of the locating Kili's brother. The last time she heard from him was an excited phone call telling her about a Stonehenge located in the middle of nowhere. Then.. nothing.

Kili goes to the little mountain town and desperately tries to get the locals to tell her anything that might lead her to her brother. Finally one man.. secretly tell
Terry Parrish
Mar 10, 2013 Terry Parrish rated it it was amazing
For me, this was an unusual book. But have to say I really enjoyed it. I liked the way it started and finished. Answered a lot of questions. The characters are interesting and have a lot of personality. Not as scary as you would think, either. I also liked the folklore. Though I've always thought you have to take it with a grain of salt. Even though mountain folk believe it, its a little hard for city folk to take. I would also recommend it for young adults. Think they would enjoy the story a ...more
Dec 10, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book is a great quick read. I enjoyed the unusual plot and the dialog flowed easily. If you are in need of a lighter, yet interesting read, this is a great book! It gives great insight into the superstitious nature of the Appalachian people, who I am familiar with from my childhood. I recommend this book as a great distraction on a rainy day!
Kelly
May 18, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Preston and Child's Agent Pendergast and now I'm a huge fan of Ezekial Crane. Crane is a complex, cursed hero with deep southern charm, intelligence to spare, some level of supernatural knowledge (that doesn't take anything away from the story) and none of the arrogance that serves as a Pendergast trademark. I love him and I'm looking forward to more stories featuring this hero and learning more about his apparently tragic history.
I never figured out the end of this mystery; th
Julie Carter
Jun 29, 2016 Julie Carter rated it it was amazing
I have just finished revisiting this book and it was just as good as the first time. I listened to the audiobook and greatly enjoyed it. I think that listening to the story the second time around enabled me to pick up on things that I may have missed in my first reading.
Ezekiel Crane is such an intriguing character, and it was wonderful to be back in the Dark Hollows. Kent Holloway does a masterful job of describing Crane and the people who interact with him, as well as the area he lives in. Th
Mitch
Nov 17, 2015 Mitch rated it really liked it
Mr Holloway can be likened to writers such as Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, and that is definitely not a bad thing, 'the curse of one eyed Jack", is enjoyable from start to finish, it traverses an intriguing boundary of mysticism and science, and is ultimately quite a satisfying read. This is a very light read and shouldn't be taxing for teens or young adults, and should contain more than enough to keep them entertained. This is perhaps what distinguishes Mr Holloway from Preston/Child, who ...more
Margaret Williams
Apr 07, 2016 Margaret Williams rated it it was amazing
Spine tingling adventure.

This turned out to be different than I expected. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and I was drawn completely into the story. The characters are very well written and brought to life as the story develops. I can't wait to read the next one.
Jackie
Oct 16, 2013 Jackie rated it it was amazing

This is a great book to read this time of year. Pretty creepy. I do have to say I had difficulty feeling bad for Kili. She was seriously annoying considering Crane was trying to help her where no one else would. Now I'm off to read the second in this series.
Beth
Feb 12, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. Loved reading about the folklore of the Apalachians. A quick easy read that was hard to put down.
Trip
Jan 06, 2013 Trip rated it it was amazing
New series from J. Kent Holloway that I read as fast as the ENIGMA series. If only Holloway could write as fast as I read them!
Crystal
Aug 19, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing
A fun adventure with characters I want to hear more from!
Steve
Mar 21, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
What happens when Boone Creek Kentucky suffers a rash of unexplained disappearances and murders? The superstitious town folk believe it's The Curse of One-Eyed Jack. Suspicion and dark secrets come easy to people with more than a little experience with the magic of the Appalachian foothills. But none of it matters to Kili Brennan when her brother goes missing while leading an archeological dig in the nearby hollows. Has he become a victim of One-Eyed Jack?

While Kili tries to solve the mystery of
Feb 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I've read the Enigma Directive books from this author and was not sure on this one going into reading it; I didn't pick it up right away ... but decided what the heck and dove in. I really like Kent Holloways other books, so I had a feeling I would end up liking it but there was a "I wonder what this is about" ... I should've read it along time ago, it was a great read!! (Figures!!) I didn't want to put it down once I started and lost a bit more sleep to this story than I like to admit.

Definatel
StealingShade Productions
Mar 12, 2012 StealingShade Productions rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to have been given a copy of this book by Mr. Holloway himself this past September at Scar-A-Cuse, in Syracuse, NY. Finally picking it up to read, I was pleasantly surprised.

Typically, I steer away from "mysteries," explaining why it took me so long to read this book. I should have read it right away, as this one took me in, and kept me going (I read it in one sitting), along with making me re-think my opinion of this genre.

The characters were believable, and likeable, wi
Dee Haddrill
The Curse of One-Eyed Jack is the first in the Dark Hollows series, which appears to focus on the enigmatic and kinda weird, Ezekiel Crane. While most of his fellow townsfolk are scared of him and think he has made a pact with the Devil, Kili Brennan decides she needs his help to find her missing anthropologist brother. Mixing action, crime and science, and a good dash of fun old fashioned scares, this book is an enjoyable and captivating read.

Originally read 24 April 2014 and re-read 14 June 20
Michelle Marchant
Mar 16, 2013 Michelle Marchant rated it it was amazing
I'll hold my hands up and say this book wasn't high up on my list of next reads for some reason....boy was I wrong!

I sat down to read The Curse Of One Eyed Jack as part of a book club read and if I'm honest not expecting to enjoy it, let me tell you if it hadn't of been for the need to earn a living and go to work I would have finished this in one sitting!

A fast flowing, imaginative book, old world superstitions, black magics, alongside modern day science, without a shadow of a doubt I will be r
Jayne Hitchcock
Feb 03, 2012 Jayne Hitchcock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Kent Holloway,

This wasn't a bad book, and don't hate me, but the plot was given away a bit too early in the book. And there was one scene where it was just a bit farfetched, what with a door blowing open (when it had been shut & locked) and lights going on and off by themsleves. Just a bit over the top. Otherwise, I liked the story and the characters and am looking forward to the next book, since you did leave me hanging!

Sincerely and with smooches,

A fan
Kelly
Jun 19, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really didn't know what to expect from this book, if I'm honest the image on the cover kind of freaked me out. But I wanted to give it a go and boy am I glad I did. It was such a fun, interesting story. J. Kent Holloway really knows how to grab the readers attention, keeps them turning the page and happy to beg for more. I cannot wait to read the next instalment.
Aug 11, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, audio_books, 2015
It was ok. I remember wondering if this was one of those books that was written for NaNoWriMo. Just not impressed and found myself just plugging through it and hoping the next book I chose would be better. Meh.
Sharon
Dec 18, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. We have a skeptical fbi agent, a handsome hunk that may or may not practice magic and an awesome granny and a back woods setting. what is not to like. .
I liked it so much, that i bought the 2nd book in the series.
Pixie
Apr 05, 2013 Pixie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, book-club
This is a very well written folk-lore style tale that keeps you guessing from beginning to end. I am looking forward to seeing where the next book takes me.
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Judy O'Rourke
Judy O'Rourke rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Bobbie Burns
Bobbie Burns rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
May 16, 2014
[Name Redacted]
[Name Redacted] rated it it was ok
Nov 18, 2014
Michael Karpovage
Michael Karpovage rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Jess
Jess rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2011
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
J. KENT HOLLOWAY is the international bestselling author of six paranormal thrillers and the first book in an epic fantasy trilogy called The Legend of the Winterking. He also co-writes Jeremy Robinson's 'Jack Sigler Continuum' series.

Kent has just finished his first forensic crime thriller entitled CLEAN EXIT, and is currently working on selling it to a major publisher. With more than twenty year
More about J. Kent Holloway...

A Dark Hollows Mystery (2 books)
  • The Dirge of Briarsnare Marsh (A Dark Hollows Mystery, #2)