Start by marking “Everblue (Mer Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Everblue (Mer Tales, #1)

Everblue (Mer Tales #1)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  6,546 Ratings  ·  614 Reviews
She wanted her life to change... he wanted his to stay the same.

Best friends share everything with each other. Or do they? Seventeen-year-old Ashlyn Frances Lanski is tired of her boring, single life. Spending time with her best friend Tatiana, dreaming about kissing Tatiana's twin brother Fin, and swimming competitively are her only sanctuary. The girls plan to leave thei
Published March 22nd 2012 by Obsidian Mountain Publishing (first published July 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Everblue, please sign up.

Leah I don't know if you can read books on an iphone or ipad if you have one but it's free on itunes! I just started it and I'm liking it so far! Hope this…moreI don't know if you can read books on an iphone or ipad if you have one but it's free on itunes! I just started it and I'm liking it so far! Hope this helps!(less)
Emily Yeah there Is. And a third one too from the sisters point of view. I haven't read either but I heard from my mom the series gets better as it goes on…moreYeah there Is. And a third one too from the sisters point of view. I haven't read either but I heard from my mom the series gets better as it goes on which is good.(less)
Of Poseidon by Anna BanksForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsEverblue by Brenda PandosRipple by Mandy Hubbard
YA Mermaid Novels
4th out of 158 books — 767 voters
Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsThe Selection by Kiera CassEverneath by Brodi AshtonA Million Suns by Beth RevisExiled by RaShelle Workman
Breath Taking Covers Of 2011-2012
23rd out of 497 books — 900 voters

More lists with this book...

oliviasbooks
Maybe since reading Otfried Preußler's The Little Watersprite almost 30 years ago and certainly since reading Der Sommer als Nixe kam (translates as ""The Summer Nixie Came"") by Evelyne Kolnberger two years later I have been mesmerized by the idea of mermaids, their mysteries and their underwater worlds. The beginning of the current mermaid trend in YA fiction and paranormal romance about two years ago consequently made me very happy and alert. In the meantime I have picked up as much disappoin ...more
An enjoyable YA mermaid story!

7 out of 10
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I feel in a basic review mood, so I'm just going to cover the bullet points. Plus since this is a water type book, I get to put cheesy fishy and water metaphors in my review.

Things I liked -

The cover is gorgeous.

The book has likable - although simple and expected- characters. The protagonist is the girl next door, a head of the swimming team, great family, loyal to best friend, crush on the brother. The male protagonist is also likable enough, strong spirit and strong ties. The best friend
Vicki Keire
Aug 07, 2011 Vicki Keire rated it it was amazing
I've seen a lot of mermaid-type books around, some of them with really positive reviews. I always just kind of looked at them and thought, "Mermaids. Meh." But when I read the description for Everblue, it was like a light went off. Here was a book about my two absolute favorite things in the universe: YA fantasy romance, and the ocean. (Insert ear-piercing squeal.)
See, I love the ocean. I threaten to run away to the ocean like some kids do the circus. Notice I'm using present tense; I'm an adult
Heather
Sep 12, 2013 Heather rated it did not like it
Full review on my blog: Book Series Addict

Everblue was a disaster for me. I found it as a free Kindle download on Amazon and it has gotten some pretty good reviews on both Amazon and Goodreads - And I have no idea why.

The initial worldbuilding was pretty great and in the first ten percent of the book, I was hooked. The remaining 90 percent of the book, I was confused, annoyed, and constantly wanted to stop reading.

The worst aspect of the book, for me, was the characters. Ash, especially, was
Carol Oates
Jul 05, 2011 Carol Oates rated it it was amazing
I finished reading Everblue today. I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek and I loved it. Without giving anything away, so much happens in this book.

The plot is well thought out, the world building is wonderful and the characters are varied and interesting. Brenda Pandos does a fantastic job of guiding the reader, allowing them to absorb the history and social structure of the Mers within the universe of Everblue without it being overwhelming and distracting from the story.

I found myself smili
Roxana
Aug 12, 2011 Roxana rated it it was amazing
I think I fell in love with this book from the very first page - or the minute that Finn was introduced. I enjoyed that the book is narrated by 2 different characters. I feel that it gives it more personality.
The world that is created in this book is pretty interesting. I never thought that I would be interested in "Mer People", but Brenda Pandos has definitely succeeded in gaining my interest.
I enjoyed this book very much and am looking forward to reading the second book in this series. Can't
Once Upon a Twilight
Aug 26, 2011 Once Upon a Twilight rated it it was amazing
Let's begin with the beautiful cover that just calls your attention. This is a great example of when a cover will sell the book without opening the book itself. The cover model represents one of the main characters in the book and the water rippling to me represents the Mer people. It just a beautifully design cover with so much depth to it. I'm so glad this cover belongs to Everblue because Brenda deserves the best for all her hard work.

Everblue is not my first mermaid book that I've read. Eve
Vicki
May 28, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
I entered virgin territory when I read this book, as it was my very first mermaid book! I am SO glad that I read this one. It is so fresh, novel, and anything but banal. I absolutely loved some of the phrases used to describe various things in mer-life.

I thought the characters were all adorable and lovable! I also am a fan of more than one POV. Ashlyn is a girl whose best friend's brother just happens to be Ash's crush. Finn (pun intended I am sure) is definitely a hotty! I mean, come on, blue
Phia
Jun 06, 2015 Phia rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I didn't finish this book, and believe me, I tried. But when I got to 71% and I realized I'm still waiting for something exciting to happen when a few chapters back, the climax already happened(I knew it was supposed to be exciting, but all the time, I was just bored with the book), I knew I just can't. Maybe why I felt really bored and detached to the story was because I didn't care for the characters, except maybe Tatiana. She was really the only one with attitude and spunk.

Let's start with As
♛ Garima ♛
Jul 05, 2016 ♛ Garima ♛ marked it as to-read

Let's see what we have here - shall we?

Ally
Jul 21, 2014 Ally rated it did not like it
This book was... okay. If half stars were a thing, i might have been generous and given it one and a half. But overall, the only thing that kept me reading was the hope that something might actually happen.

For most of the book, it switches between Ash and Fins perspectives as theh deal with drama in their respective worlds. Stuff happens, but its all trivial drivel for the majority of the book. None of the characters have any drive, and the plot is only moved by background characters half the ti
Rae
For a book whose target audience is teenage girls, this book really hates women.

The female lead, Ash, does nothing but sit and mope for the entire book. She worries about Tatchi and Fin, but does very little to discover what happens to them. This girl possesses absolutely no agency. She likes Fin, but sits and waits for him to initiate everything rather than going after him or making any indication of interest. Ash is supposed to be out heroine, yet the only time she moves the plot forward is w
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Aug 23, 2011 Jaime (Two Chicks on Books) rated it it was amazing
Let me first start by saying Brenda is a local author so she writes about locations that I know very well in this case it's Lake Tahoe (not Natatoria lol) and thats why I fall so deeply in love with her stories! I also haven't read a mermaid story since The Little Mermaid so I was very excited to read this.

So Everblue takes place in two locations one on the surface and around Lake Tahoe and the other in a magical realm Natatoria both so different and vivid in their own ways. I could feel the chi
Nicole Storey
Nov 23, 2013 Nicole Storey rated it it was ok
This book was recommended to me by Amazon. I honestly don't know why. It is true that I love paranormal, dystopian, thrillers, and some fantasy. I guess this book fits into the fantasy genre but it does not read as YA or NA as much as for children 11-13. The synopsis made it sound much better than the book actually was.

The author has a decent grasp of descriptive imagery and the cover art is nice. However, those are the only positive aspects I can list. The writing is too cliche – to the point o
Michelle
Ouch, I have to admit that I mostly just skimmed the last half of this book, because it was so painful. The point of view switches between the three main characters, Ash, her best friend Tatchi and her brother Fin, both of whom are mermaids. Ash does not know this and has a major crush on Fin. It all starts when Fin's family is recalled to under the sea, and his dad is sent off on a secret mission. All sorts of drama ensues. Fin is petulant and sulks like a toddler who doesn't get his way. There ...more
Katie
Aug 10, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Incredibly written, filled with good morals and romance, Everblue sets a high precedent for every other book. I love the way the author, Brenda Pandos, changes the point of view from Ashlyn to Fin because it shows not only their feelings for one another but also the different worlds they live in. Everblue honestly surpassed my high expectations and blew me away!
Sharon Mariampillai
This was an enjoyable read. This is actually my first mermaid book and it did not disappoint. The characters were fun to real, and entertaining. Also, the mer-world and the mer-people were described very well and detailed. I really enjoyed reading about it. Can't wait to see what the next book has in store. Overall, a great read.
Larajoline
Mar 27, 2014 Larajoline rated it did not like it
Shelves: mermaids
I tried, I really did but I honestly can't share the enthusiasm so many people have about this book.
It was painful to read and at the end I was not hooked and ready to jump onto the next one of this series but only relieved that I actually finished it.

First of all there are so many spelling and grammar mistakes that I wonder if this book ever went to proof reading. I'm not flawless in my English - but I don't have a book out there....
Another problem was the constant switching of the POVs. I don
Stephanie
I have no idea why I wanted to read this book. I think I was totally drawn in by the cover; isn't it beautiful? And, then I realized I could get a mermaid book for ever so cheap ($.99 as an ebook on the Nook) and, well, I do love a mermaid book on the cheap.

I love the setting of this book. It's so cool to think that living amongst everyday average people are merpeople and that there are gates to another world where they live and thrive with rules and cities different than our own. I also loved h
Garrett
Aug 29, 2011 Garrett rated it it was amazing
Everblue by Brenda Pandos has such an addicting, mesmerizing quality to it. I would open the book up, telling myself I would only read one - maybe two - chapters, only to look down at the page number and see I'd read over a hundred. When I put the book down, I immediately wanted to pick it up again and keep reading. That's what made Everblue a 5/5 stars book. When I book grips you so strongly to where your eyes linger on the page, that's when you know you have a great book.
The book itself flows
Amy Acosta
Dec 10, 2011 Amy Acosta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mermaids
This has become my top favorite mermaid story of this summer. Just when I thought Id give up on them, in comes Everblue and sweeps me away with its amazingly wrought world, creative mer-cursing, and captivating plot.

I really liked Natatoria and the mer culture. The descriptions of the city and houses were really amazing. I almost wanted to go and live there myself! Of course, I didn’t like the King being an evil overlord restricting his people, especially the mermaids! He wants to maintain the
Jenn
Jan 05, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Mermaid Stars
SummaryTwins, Fin and Tatchi, have never spent much time in the underwater merworld of Natatoria. Spending most of their time on land has given them a distaste for the ways and culture of Natatoria. But when their dad is called on by the King for a secret mission, Fin, Tatchi and their mom are forced to live in Natatoria till he returns.

When her best friend (and crush) leaves without even saying goodbye, Ash feels abandoned and slightly worried for her friends. But when an acci
Cynthia Cene
Aug 30, 2011 Cynthia Cene rated it it was amazing
When I was asked if I wanted to review this I jumped all over it because I love Brenda's Talisman series. I was a little worried and curious at the same time. I really wanted to see how Brenda went from writing Vampires to write about Mermaids. Also, this was my first book to read that was about Mermaids. Let me tell you Brenda did not disappoint.

I really liked how the point of view was from both main characters. I didn't have to try to guess how each of them were feeling. The flow of the story
Aeicha
Oct 11, 2011 Aeicha rated it it was amazing
This is one of the recently published books that I have been most excited about reading. I mean mermaids, mystery, and romance?! Yes please to all three! So I was so thrilled when Brenda Pandos’ Everblue not only met my expectations, but completely blew me away. I found Everblue to be a captivating, wondrously original and impossible to put down read.

Everblue is told from the point of view of two characters: Ash and Fin. Ash is a normal, 17 year old high school senior, while Fin is a 17 year old
P. K. Gallagher
Oct 14, 2013 P. K. Gallagher rated it it was ok
I downloaded a copy of this book because it was free for the day on Amazon, and who am I to say no to free? I’m going to cite this as the reason why I had no idea until a couple of chapters in that the book was about mermaids. This wasn’t really a problem, though. I may be more partial to a darker shade of fantasy, but I can appreciate more lighthearted tales when they’re told well.
Everblue was not told well. In fact, it was a kind of a letdown in nearly every way.

The story takes place in a wo
Martha
Jun 30, 2012 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know when you read a good book and you dream about it for days…That is what Everblue is! Really loved the way the chapters were broken out; the back and forth of Ash and Fin. Love the characters, the setting…just everything!! I am dying to find out what happens next…can’t wait for the sequel!!
Evie
Sep 13, 2015 Evie rated it it was amazing
Deliciously sweet and dangerously seductive, Everblue by Brenda Pandos is an absolutely and indisputably fantabulous beginning to a new awesome Young Adult series that will win you over in a blink of an eye! This book is the definition of AWESOME. It’s lively, intriguing, beautiful, and it has everything a good YA book should have. Brenda Pandos did it! With her exquisite storytelling she crafted an outstanding fairy tale that will enchant you. There is no escaping it, prepare to fall in love!

Lauren
Aug 11, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
When I first heard about Everblue, the first book in Brenda Pandos' new series, I knew I had to read it. Not only because I really enjoyed Brenda's first two books (The Emerald Talisman and The Sapphire Talisman), but because Everblue had to do with one of my new favorite trends in YA: mermaids. Luckily enough, Everblue turned out to be everything I was expecting and much more!

Ash and Tatiana (Tatchi) have been best friends for the longest of times. They share nearly everything with the other, a
Alyssa hoffmaster
This is my first book of Brenda’s that I have read and I can honestly say I am going to be reading all of her books from now on. Everblue was amazing! I can’t believe I liked this book so much.

I knew this was going to be a mermaid tale and while I don’t read much books with mermaids, I am starting to become a fan. Everblue was perfect; it was better than I expected it to be.

All the characters made this book, even though some of the characters made me angry. What makes a book is the emotion in th
  • Lure (Siren's Call, #1)
  • Fins
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • Breathless
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Between the Sea and Sky
  • Siren's Storm (Siren's Storm, #1)
  • Promises (Syrenka, #1)
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Merrow
  • Seven Tears Into the Sea
  • Tempest Rising (Tempest, #1)
  • Waking Storms (Lost Voices, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Mirror
  • Madly (Madly, #1)
  • Forbidden Sea (Forbidden Sea, #1)
  • Ascension (Water, #1)
Author Brenda Pandos lives in California with her husband, two energetic boys, eight chickens and a grumpy orange cat, though her kids keep begging for a dog #notadogperson #catrulesthehouse, that isn't happening soon.

She avoids cooking and housework by writing fast-paced stories about kissing, hot mermen, bad boy vampires, and occasionally zombies--not all in the same stories... #issues. When sh
More about Brenda Pandos...

Mer Tales (4 books)
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • Everlost (Mer Tales, #3)
  • Evermore (Mer Tales, #4)

“Would I like this boy?"
I bit my lip to keep from smiling. "Yeah. I think so. He's nice."
"So I imagine you'll need a dress?"
"Yeah, probably."
"And I'll need a gun."
"Dad!”
40 likes
“You love me?"
"Of course I do." My shoulders dropped. "I knew it the day I wanted to punch that idiot's face when he had his hands all over you.”
24 likes