Start by marking “The Cottage at Bantry Bay” as Want to Read:
The Cottage at Bantry Bay

The Cottage at Bantry Bay (The O'Sullivan Family #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
It isn't always easy raising a family without much money, but the O'Sullivans prove that it is not only possible, but that there is no price tag on fun and adventure. Father, Mother, Michael, Brigid and twins Francie and Liam share a warm and mirthful existence in their cottage at Bantry Bay the fullness of which spills out into the Irish countryside round about. Michael a ...more
Published July 8th 2005 by Bethlehem Books (first published January 1st 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The Cottage at Bantry Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cottage at Bantry Bay

Janet
Nov 07, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it
We picked this up in our church library, but after reading (mostly skimming, a quick read) I thought that was funny, because maybe it has some catholic elements, but nothing out of the ordinary for a story about a family who is Catholic. It was a nice story about the Irish countryside family life of the past. Maybe a brief episode of violence from the "gypsies" and their mistreatment of a dog, but the dog was taken home and redeemed (after a few misunderstandings requiring some training for the ...more
Nilsson
This book baffles me. I picked it up once and there was a chapter in which the family finds a Fairy Mound and goes inside. To this day I cannot find that chapter again. It's very odd to me.
Tirzah
Jul 26, 2015 Tirzah rated it it was amazing
The Cottage at Bantry Bay holds a lot of fond childhood memories! As a child, I don't know how many times I flipped through this book just to look at the pictures or reread the humorous parts. It is a simple but charming story of a rowdy, adventurous Irish family whose lives are anything but dull. The beautiful and unique illustrations add to the story. If you read this one, you have to read its companion books, Francie on the Run and Pegeen.
Susan
Feb 22, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
The O’Sullivan family is an Irish family doing their best to get by in the first half of the 1900s (1930s, I think). The four kids (Michael, Brigid, Liam, and Francis) star prominently in this book. First published in 1938, the book is a fun and quaint look at Irish country living of the same time period.

The story starts off with the eldest two kids on a small adventure. Their father has sprained his ankle and can’t take the donkey to market. So off the kids go with packed lunches to sell the be
Jaye
Sep 14, 2009 Jaye rated it it was amazing
In this book, set in post-"Troubles" Ireland, we meet the loving, resourceful O'Sullivan family.

I found this book very entertaining, even as an adult reader! I enjoy the quiet faith exhibited by the family and their friends.
Melissa
Jan 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
I just love this author and her characters. I read this book aloud to Paul (my 7 yr. old son). It was a little different reading a book set in Ireland, and some customs and words were new to us.
Matthew
Sep 11, 2008 Matthew rated it it was amazing
There is not a book that I've read yet by Van Stockum that I haven't liked. Good clean stories. A sense of humor, and excellently written.
Stephanie A.
I read this in college and don't remember anything about it, but per my original journal comments: "You never know quite what you're going to find in the 'drab cloth covers/little-to-no-summary-detail' older section of the library's juvenile shelves, but I usually walk away with something good. This was no exception. Cute old tale of an Irish family."
Mary
Mar 30, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
I read and reread this book so many times when I was little. The family love and friendship got me every time. I still read it every once in a while. Hilda van Stockum has always been one of my favorites.
Kirsti S.
MCL. Charming story about an Irish family and their ordinary adventures.
Jaeger Matthias
Oct 03, 2014 Jaeger Matthias rated it it was amazing
In the series of the Winged Watchman. Loved it!
Michael Fitzgerald
Nice enough, but not great. Similar to the series books of Laura Ingalls Wilder, Eleanor Estes (the Moffats), Elizabeth C. Spykman (Terrible, Horrible Edie et al.) and more. The difference is the influence of Irish Catholic tradition and values.
Ursula
Jul 20, 2014 Ursula rated it really liked it
10YO girl liked a lot.
John Marlin
Jun 28, 2013 John Marlin rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the trilogy about the O'Sullivan family living on the south coast of Ireland, in the old days when Ireland was still full of leprechauns if you knew how to spot them - not by looking at them directly but out of the corner of your eyes.
LuAnn
Jun 10, 2014 LuAnn rated it liked it
While I loved The Borrowed House by the same author and I had just been to Bantry Bay, Ireland when I read this, I found it boring as not much happens.
April
Jul 17, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Well written Irish family story with appeal for all ages.
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 31, 2011 Abigail Rasmussen rated it liked it
Shelves: age-6-10, age-8-12
I read this book when I was 11 years old.
rebecca
it was cute.
Kimi
Kimi added it
Aug 11, 2016
Maris
Maris added it
Jul 26, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Marie Willis
Marie Willis marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Kathy
Kathy added it
Jun 21, 2016
Darla Barrows
Darla Barrows marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Mandie
Mandie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
  • Downright Dencey
  • Beorn the Proud
  • The Real Thief
  • The Case of the Burrowing Robot (Hank the Cowdog, #42)
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Nimpentoad
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Five Little Peppers at School
  • Memorize the Faith! (and Most Anything Else): Using the Methods of the Great Catholic Medieval Memory Masters
  • Braineater Jones
  • Columbus
  • Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman
  • Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal
  • Enemy Brothers (Living History Library)
  • Torn from Troy (Odyssey of a Slave #1)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Make Way for Ducklings, One Morning in Maine, Lentil
  • The Weight of a Mass: A Tale of Faith
Born February 9, 1908, in Rotterdam, Netherlands, Hilda van Stockum was a noted author, illustrator and painter, whose work has won the Newbery Honor and the National Conference of Christians and Jews Brotherhood Award. She was also a charter member of the Children's Book Guild and the only person to have served as its president for two consecutive terms.

Van Stockum was raised partly in Ireland, a
More about Hilda van Stockum...

The O'Sullivan Family (3 books)
  • Francie on the Run