Start by marking “The Mitchells: Five for Victory” as Want to Read:
The Mitchells: Five for Victory

The Mitchells: Five for Victory (The Mitchells #1)

The five Mitchell children are based on the author's own family. In the first of three books about their adventures, Daddy has just gone off to World War II. One of his final words to his daughter Joan is, "No dogs " She would dearly love such a pet, but life is full and so many new friends -- pets as well as people -- join the Mitchells, she hardly has time to think about ...more
Published October 1st 1995 by Bethlehem Books,U.S. (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about The Mitchells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mitchells

Wisdom Zelda
Jun 05, 2016 Wisdom Zelda rated it it was amazing
A Piece of Salted Caramel

I was in the middle of reading Swallowdale (the sequel to Swallows and Amazons, written by Arthur Ransome) when we left for Croatia. My mother most (un)graciously told me that no, I couldn’t bring Swallowdale along because I would finish it in one night, so I picked The Mitchells off the shelf and stuffed it in a bag.

The Mitchells, by Hilda Van Stockum, is a story about five children, Joan, Patsy, Peter, Angela, and Timmy, who live during WWII. When their father goes to
Claire Mizukawa
Apr 15, 2011 Claire Mizukawa rated it really liked it
AHHH! I used to LOVE these books. I need to track them down and read them again, but I am afraid that my older eyes and world-ravaged soul will not love them as much as I used to. Dramatic? Maybe a little. But this is the first book in three about the cutest little family. I think these even might be out of print...my mom somehow scored them for us and I will be forever grateful that she read them to us when we were little.
Audrey
My mom read this book to us growing up, and I still love it. Coming from a family much like the Mitchells, I can relate to a lot of what happens. However, it takes the author's deft and unassuming style to bring it all to life. The writing sparkles with realism, wit, and genuine insight into the lives of children. Absolutely delightful! This is practically the definition of comfort reading for me.

I can still relate so well to Joan and Patsy, and I just love happy-go-lucky Peter. This time readin
SwissMaedel
Aug 30, 2016 SwissMaedel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
I read this book aloud to my boys ages 8, 5, and 3. The 3yo didn't really listen, but the other two loved it, especially the 8yo. He would burst out laughing at some of the funny things in the book. It is really well written, I love the style. It's hilarious and wholesome and entertaining.

The book does take place during WW2, so I thought Daddy going off to fight the war would affect my kids negatively since they have personally experienced this, but it didn't.
It's very light hearted and actual
Tirzah
Jul 26, 2015 Tirzah rated it really liked it
Shelves: ww2-cold-war
Good, ole' Bethlehem Books! That publisher supplied many good books to my childhood reading days. I had forgotten about this series! While the author's Bantry Bay series will be my favorite, the Mitchells series is still a fun read. Set in World War II and based on the author's family, the story is full of lessons on family and filled with humorous events. The Mitchells is great for family read aloud or kids who love to read fun, uplifting books.
Leah
Nov 03, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing
This follow a family during WWII. This family is doing their part during the wartime despite having food rations parents and friend who are off at war this family still manages to have fun and go on adventures. This is a good story to introduce what is was like to live during WWII. This story makes of feel what this family feels their joys their sorrows.

Recommended age 8-13
Reading Level 4th – 6th grade
Lis Paice
May 26, 2013 Lis Paice rated it it was amazing
This is a story about a family living in Washington DC during WWII. The five children are determined to support the war effort while Daddy and Uncle Jim are away fighting in Europe. Their V for Victory club takes on a range of patriotic duties, from saving soap (though Mother had views on that one), to painting the lodger's room, to cleaning the neighbour's yard - meeting a mysterious orphan princess in the process. This isn't a war story in the usual sense, but the impact of the war on the fami ...more
Amanda
Oct 24, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Such a fun kids' book. It was laugh out loud funny in places. I found the ending to be a bit predictable, but I think that's coming from me as an adult. I'm sure that as a kid I'd have been shocked by the turn of events.

While I read this on my Kindle, the book is still in print and available in hard copy. My only complaint to that end is the cover. It's just ghastly. I know you're not "supposed" to judge a book by its cover, but we all do it, and certainly kids do. I think I'd have a hard time
Ursula
Jul 20, 2014 Ursula rated it really liked it
10YO girl liked a lot.
Claire Hopkin
Aug 23, 2008 Claire Hopkin rated it it was amazing
This was probably my favorite series from childhood! I have re-read all of the books multiple times (there are two more after this one). I think they are out of print but I don't know why because they are so cute. It also is a great book for teaching about the home front during WWII. If you want to read a good book that teaches great values with your family, this is an awesome bet.
Trish
Aug 01, 2011 Trish rated it liked it
Reviewed for the Logos Library. The children in this story are somewhat undisciplined due to the fact their father is gone to fight in WWII. Parents should take this into account as well as the date it was written: 1945; children today cannot run around the whole town and play in other people's yards, etc. It did remind me of my own childhood and the freedom we had!
Abigail Rasmussen
I first read this book when I was 9 years old. Years later my brother and I read it aloud to our family.

Follow the lively and entertaining Mitchell children (all of 5 of them) in their exciting adventures, in the house, outside, in the neighbors yard, etc. This lovely book has two sequels Canadian Summer, and Friendly Gables that I recommend as well.
Ellie
Apr 19, 2012 Ellie rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
It was okay. I can see 10-year-old Ellie loving this book if I'd had it when I was 10, but now, all I can see are the extremely sexist overtones of the story, which wasn't cool. It was just written in 1945 and you can tell. Good for the family who loves old quaint books. Maybe a good read-aloud for Grandma?
Meredith Henning
New bedtime read aloud to Seamus (and SP). This will be the second time through for him and we were going to start Canadian Summer it's sequel (2nd in series of 3) but he couldn't quite remember the Mitchell's so we decided to start at the beginning (and I'm SO glad)!
Melissa
Nov 25, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
This was my second time reading it aloud. First time I read it to Paul, and this time to both Paul and Lila now that Lila is in first grade. We love the Mitchells. They are a wonderful family to emulate and very entertaining.
Theresa
May 26, 2008 Theresa rated it liked it
This is primarily just a fun book to read, and all ages can enjoy it. I would have to say that just about everyone can find someone in the story that is very similar to, or dead on one of the characters in the book.
April
Jul 17, 2016 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Great fun! I especially related to this book since my family is from the Washington, D.C. area.
Karen
Aug 22, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
We read this book when the girls were in early elementary school and it has a special place in our hearts!
Anne
Jan 31, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Fun. Captures a slice of life of early 1940s US.
Tommy B
Tommy B rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Maxine
Maxine marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Lynna
Lynna marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Dianna
Dianna marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Jayme
Jayme marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Liz Beegle
Liz Beegle marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • The Reb and the Redcoats
  • Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Meet Me in St. Louis
  • Willow Run
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • Old Peter's Russian Tales
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #4)
Born February 9, 1908, in Rotterdam, Netherlands, Hilda van Stockum was a noted author, illustrator and painter, whose work has won the Newbery Honor and the National Conference of Christians and Jews Brotherhood Award. She was also a charter member of the Children's Book Guild and the only person to have served as its president for two consecutive terms.

Van Stockum was raised partly in Ireland, a
More about Hilda van Stockum...

The Mitchells (3 books)
  • Canadian Summer (The Hilda Van Stockum Family Collection)
  • Friendly Gables