Start by marking “Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity” as Want to Read:
Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity

Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published December 31st 2011 by Venture Philanthropy Partners (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Leap of Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leap of Reason

Lindsey
Morino has some interesting ideas but I feel like I might not be the correct audience for this book. Morino's ideas seem to apply to CEOs, Executive Directors and Boards of non-profits in creating a culture that allows innovation and demands outcomes.
Scot
My rating does not reflect my opinion on management based outcomes. I think that management based outcomes make sense for organizations that are interested in evaluation and better tracking of hard data and effectiveness. It seems to translate best to education and social service non-profits, though all types of non-profits can benefit.

The reason I give this book/infographic such a low rating is because the author focuses on making the case for outcomes based management rather than delving deepl
Heather
This book makes some good points and I completely agree that the nonprofit world needs to measure impact and outcomes better so we can really see what we are accomplishing beyond anecdotes. We need to measure outcomes and foster a performance culture. I thought that this was a good list indicating some important steps in creating a performance culture:

* Recruit culture leaders.
* Walk the talk.
* Know what you stand for.
* Answer the question, "To what end?"
* Ensure that everyone's moving toward th
Brian Sooy
As a nonprofit board member and advocate for social entrepreneurship, in my opinion, this book is a must read for charities and funders alike. Higher nonprofit performance occurs when the entire ecosystem understands the power of data to drive outcomes.
Kevin
I think there are some good points here but the delivery is unimpressive - the best thing is that it is short. I would have liked to see more thorough examples of actual things one might do to move towards managing to outcomes. For example, I am preparing to create a logic model, which this text highlights using, but nowhere in the book does it give any details on this process. This book succeeds as a quick glimpse of what managing to outcomes could mean but does little to prepare the reader for ...more
Andrew
Morino's book takes on the subject of how philanthropy can support non-profits in being outcomes driven in their business model. There are many solid positions taken and a strong framework provided. It is a good primer for granters and grantees both. From this book, non-profits would need to do the hard work of enacting strategies that fit the framework.

Solid and strong thinking to introduce outcomes based non-profit work.
Island Connect Consulting
I'm grateful to a colleague for sending me a copy of this book and feel that many in Hawaii's nonprofit community (particularly funders) could benefit from reading it. It balances its call to action (to manage to outcomes) with a number of helpful case studies and a helpful resource list of additional resources.
B. Thomas
Useful for any disciple of M&E practices in the nonprofit or NGO sector. Excellent sources for further reading are included.
Shila
As a nonprofit Treasurer and Secretary, I really dig this book.
Michael

Excellent book!
Jerry Williams
Jerry Williams is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2015
Liam
Liam added it
Jan 01, 2015
Katy Silliman
Katy Silliman marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Matt Bodien
Matt Bodien marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Scott S
Scott S marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Franco
Franco marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Lisa Dickson
Lisa Dickson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity Impact Investing (Innovations Journal) Esophageal Diseases: Evaluation and Treatment