Start by marking “Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity” as Want to Read:
Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity

Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity

Published December 31st 2011 by Venture Philanthropy Partners (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Leap of Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leap of Reason

Jenny
Aug 17, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: Jackie
Shelves: nonfiction-read
Fairly convincing presentation of the need for nonprofits to focus on effectiveness and outcomes rather than just doing good. Lots of useful resources:

--Amazing resource for developing program outcomes, effective practices, performance indicators, and tools for gauging performance: www.performwell.org (p 52)

--A definition of "performance culture as "the connective tissue that binds together the organization, including shared values and practices, behavior norms, and most important, the organizat
Scot
Sep 21, 2013 Scot rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-profits
My rating does not reflect my opinion on management based outcomes. I think that management based outcomes make sense for organizations that are interested in evaluation and better tracking of hard data and effectiveness. It seems to translate best to education and social service non-profits, though all types of non-profits can benefit.

The reason I give this book/infographic such a low rating is because the author focuses on making the case for outcomes based management rather than delving deepl
Lindsey
Nov 17, 2011 Lindsey rated it it was ok
Morino has some interesting ideas but I feel like I might not be the correct audience for this book. Morino's ideas seem to apply to CEOs, Executive Directors and Boards of non-profits in creating a culture that allows innovation and demands outcomes.
Heather
Jul 02, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
This book makes some good points and I completely agree that the nonprofit world needs to measure impact and outcomes better so we can really see what we are accomplishing beyond anecdotes. We need to measure outcomes and foster a performance culture. I thought that this was a good list indicating some important steps in creating a performance culture:

* Recruit culture leaders.
* Walk the talk.
* Know what you stand for.
* Answer the question, "To what end?"
* Ensure that everyone's moving toward th
Terri
Mar 02, 2016 Terri added it
This book is the 101 level - why should we evaluate. I'm in need of the 501 level - I'm way beyond needing to be convinced and need to know how to do. Also, this felt light on substantive content/felt a little padded. It's probably a good book for someone trying to convince their org to do evaluation, but it wasn't what I needed.
Rachel Lustig
Jul 06, 2015 Rachel Lustig rated it really liked it
Made for a great discussion with my leadership team at Catholic Social Services. We were reading it while going through our strategic planning process. It is the direction that I am moving this organizations so it was helpful to have the book to help us move the discussion forward.
Brian Sooy
Feb 05, 2014 Brian Sooy rated it it was amazing
As a nonprofit board member and advocate for social entrepreneurship, in my opinion, this book is a must read for charities and funders alike. Higher nonprofit performance occurs when the entire ecosystem understands the power of data to drive outcomes.
Uma
Good start for anyone in Non Profit sector!
Kevin
Sep 24, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it
I think there are some good points here but the delivery is unimpressive - the best thing is that it is short. I would have liked to see more thorough examples of actual things one might do to move towards managing to outcomes. For example, I am preparing to create a logic model, which this text highlights using, but nowhere in the book does it give any details on this process. This book succeeds as a quick glimpse of what managing to outcomes could mean but does little to prepare the reader for ...more
Argosy Foundation
philanthropy, social science
Kelly
Aug 06, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morino is sort of preaching to the choir with this one. I read it on the recommendation of someone I met at a conference and agree with the vision and direction. Wish he'd done a better job acknowledging the extremely limited data capacity at nonprofits in general and that this work is expensive/technical/time-consuming/controversial/take your pick of other barriers. (Or maybe he did and I'm just forgetting; I started reading this almost a year ago.)
Andrew
Aug 05, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Morino's book takes on the subject of how philanthropy can support non-profits in being outcomes driven in their business model. There are many solid positions taken and a strong framework provided. It is a good primer for granters and grantees both. From this book, non-profits would need to do the hard work of enacting strategies that fit the framework.

Solid and strong thinking to introduce outcomes based non-profit work.
Island Connect Consulting
Dec 27, 2012 Island Connect Consulting rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonprofits
I'm grateful to a colleague for sending me a copy of this book and feel that many in Hawaii's nonprofit community (particularly funders) could benefit from reading it. It balances its call to action (to manage to outcomes) with a number of helpful case studies and a helpful resource list of additional resources.
B. Thomas
Aug 23, 2014 B. Thomas rated it really liked it
Useful for any disciple of M&E practices in the nonprofit or NGO sector. Excellent sources for further reading are included.
Shila
Jun 30, 2012 Shila rated it liked it
As a nonprofit Treasurer and Secretary, I really dig this book.
Michael
Sep 13, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing

Excellent book!
V
V marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Katerina
Katerina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Patrick Taylor
Patrick Taylor rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Kamal
Kamal marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Sfk8k
Sfk8k rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Katie Leininger
Katie Leininger rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Robin Corak
Robin Corak rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Hayley Johnson
Hayley Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Sam Tracy
Sam Tracy marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Eustacia
Eustacia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Tom Engle
Tom Engle rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
  • The Networked Nonprofit: Connecting with Social Media to Drive Change
  • Lead to Succeed and You Won't Manage to Fail
  • Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High-Impact Nonprofits
  • Ultimate Leadership: Winning Execution Strategies for Your Situation
  • Help Me Win at Work: A Business Philosophy called ''Don't Mark My Paper, Help Me Get an A'' (Leading at a Higher Level)
  • Donor-Centered Fundraising: How to Hold on to Your Donors and Raise Much More Money
  • We First: How Brands and Consumers Use Social Media to Build a Better World
  • Team Secrets Of The Navy Seals: The Elite Military Force's Leadership Principles For Business
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • The Art of Sales Management: Lessons Learned on the Fly
  • Why Leadership Sucks: Fundamentals of Level 5 Leadership and Servant Leadership
  • The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles