Oubliette (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #2)

Oubliette (Cloud Prophet Trilogy #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Reychel thought she was finally free. She was wrong. Everyone saw her gift of prophecy as a blessing, but her gift is uncontrollable. No one alive can teach her to manipulate her unique gift and the answers she needs lie buried within a madman’s journals. She’s thrust in the midst of a brewing war and the only uniting factor for her people is their belief in the Prophet.

Wi...more
Published January 14th 2014 (first published May 23rd 2011)

Angelfall by Susan EeBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireThe Vampire Hunter's Daughter by Jennifer Malone WrightEmber by Madison DanielBirthright by Willow Cross
Best Independent Novels
135th out of 2,259 books — 3,158 voters
Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonEvermore by Alyson NoelHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickJust Listen by Sarah Dessen
YA Novels by Goodreads Authors
481st out of 1,247 books — 2,386 voters

More lists with this book...

Flora Bateman
I received a free copy of this book for my honest review.

Obliette is the second book in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy and picks up right where Anathema leaves off. Reychel finds herself in the Southern Kingdom with Nemison's daughter Krissen. Nemison was left behind on the other side of the portal in the Northern Kingdom and Reychel is on her own and unsure who to trust.

I love the world that Jenson has created as well as the new characters that have been introduced. However, Krissen goes beyond get...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
I received this book for signing up to the author's newsletter.

This book follows immediately on from Anathema and you are straight back in the action. Reychel is thrust through a portal which opens up in The Southern Kingdom. This takes her away from everything she knows, or thought she knew, and lands her firmly in the middle of haven't got a clue. They are expecting her however and once more she feels the pressure of being The Prophet when she really doesn't know how to use her gift.

Once agai...more
Billie
I did not like this book as much as the first one, Anathema. The characters are what really got me. They were beyond annoying! Reychel was the worst one of all. When the series started she was a innocent, ignorant child, and then all of a sudden she thinks she is this strong woman who knows everything, which she does not. She makes horrible choices, bad mistakes, and is childish. I don't like how the author forced upon us what characters we should like and not like. Example: Ace. First we HATE h...more
S
The second in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy, Oubilette, was better than the first book. Reychel finds herself going from the Northern Kingdom to the Southern Kingdom and she thinks finds her future laid out before her. However, things are not what they always seem, and that is what makes this book a good read. Megg Jensen has a unique writing style that can grab the reader’s attention and reel them into the book, causing them to read nonstop until the book is completed. In spite of this, I still thi...more
Kristina
What I Loved
Series
This is book 2 in the trilogy and I really enjoyed it more than the first. There was so much information that they get, lots of intrigue, back stabbing, betrayal, needless to say it was packed with a lot of good page turning story. I can't wait to read the final book.
Characters
Reychel: I'm so happy with the path her character is going and how her personality is really starting to develop into a strong young woman.
Romance
A little less on the romance in this one verses Anathema,...more
Marsha
Jun 20, 2011 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young Adults and Adults
"Oubliette" is an outstanding sequel to "Anathema." This book begins two weeks after the last novel left off and from the first page the mystery and intrigue begins.

I really enjoy the writing of Megg Jensen and she is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers. Why? Because Megg knows how to capture a reading audience from the very beginning and keep them enthralled to the very end. Additionally, she does not need a lot of verbage or novels to get the job done. She tells her story succinctly wi...more
Kristina
I loved Anathema (the first book in the series) so much that I could not wait to read Oubliette and let me tell you, Oubliette does not disappoint! There is just something about Megg Jensen’s writing that keeps me intrigued until the very end.

Reychel, the Cloud Prophet is transported to a new land where she meets the daughter of Nemison, the man who was supposed to teach her how to use her gifts until he was kidnapped. Reychel has no idea who she could trust since she has been betrayed by so man...more
Stephanie
Honestly, I do not even know how to begin this . . .

To say I was excited about the release of this book would be a complete understatement.

Release day! Oh Happy Day!

Book is loaded and ready to go . . I find myself, taking in every word and just letting it linger in my mind a moment before moving on to the next. It isn't long tho . . before the book lets me know it has other ideas for my reading pleasure. It grabs hold of me and just RUNS! I tried to slow myself down reading it, but I just couldn...more
Brea Essex
After reading Anathema, book one of the Cloud Prophet Trilogy, I couldn't wait to pick up Oubliette. I was eager to find out what happened to Reychel. I definitely wasn't disappointed.

Reychel has managed to escape her life of slavery, but she's far from free. She finds herself in yet another unknown place, with people she's not sure she can trust. Everyone is expecting her to be their savior, but she's not even sure she can save herself from the side effects of her visions—if she can actually ma...more
Between the Covers
REVIEWED by Chris for Between the Covers blog:

I read Anathema by Megg Jensen a few months ago, and upon finishing I couldn’t wait to get to Oubliette, the second book in the trilogy. Megg had created such a fascinating world in Anathema that I couldn’t wait to read more about it. I bought Oubliette right away, but had to find the time to fit it into my TBR pile. I am sorry I waited so long to get to it because it was just as fantastic as Anathema... and maybe a little more so.

Reychel had put all...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
So I really loved Anathema and most of us know that the second book in a series or trilogy usually doesn't even come close to being as good as the first book. Well Oubliette was EVEN BETTER!!!! How Megg does it I have no idea. I was immediately sucked right back into Reychelle's world which was awesome since Anathema ended on a cliffhanger of sorts. Oubliette picks off exactly where Anathema ended there was no skipping ahead and I really appreciated that.

Now that Reychelle has found out her past...more
Kim
Oubliette is the second novel in the Cloud Prohecy trilogy, following Anathema. Every now and then you come across a book that just hooks you, that makes you obsess a little over it. When you are reading it, you are in the story, and when it is over, you almost feel as if something is missing from yourself. That is this series for me. I love everything about it! Oubliette continues the story of Reychel, a former slave girl who suddenly discovers that her destiny is nothing like she had believed....more
Shirley
So Oubliette took me a little longer to read than Anathema. It had nothing to do with the story, I think I was just trying to make it last longer.
Megg's second installment of the Cloud Profit trilogy starts off exactly where the last book ended. The action never ebbs and you become wrapped up in Reychel's world immediately.
There are so many twists and turns in Oubliette that it is hard to keep up. Poor Reychel has no idea who she can depend on and the list of people she can actually trust some...more
A Book Vacation
To see my full review:

This second novel in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy is much more refined and solid than the first, Anathema. Jensen has slowed the story down, and the development of the characters takes the forefront, allowing the story to flow together more seamlessly while providing readers with an easily understandable story that is highly enjoyable.

Reychel, a former slave, is now free and in a rival nation, hiding her abilities until the “right time.”...more
Kyleigh
After the end of Anathema I was truly at a loss for where the story was going to go. I was expecting a lot of magical training sessions and discovering Reychel's gift. Boy was I in for a surprise. The plot just kept having twist after twist. Oubliette was definitely not a filler novel, like so many sequels are. Megg really keeps you on your toes with the unexpected.

At the end of Anathema things kind of ended in a shit storm. Mark ran off with the Sons, Ivy was being locked away, and Reychel was...more
Smash
Read this review at Smash Attack Reads! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/...

Smashtastic Synopsis: Reychel finds herself free of slavery, but freedom comes at a high price in this world. Reychel's special gift is causing her much stress as an entire kingdom is depending on her to be their savior. Unfortunately, no one alive or available is able to teach Reychel how to control her gift, and her visions are quite sporadic. However, Reychel has one resource available to her: ancient journals fro...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
Although this is the second book in a series, the author does fill the reader in on some of the details that happened in the first book. I am pretty sure that if you would choose to read them out of order you will still fully enjoy this part of the story. Although so far book 1 is my favorite, so I highly recommend reading it.
Reychel has been taken into the palace as an honored guest. They have been awaiting a prophecy and believe that she is the one that will deliver it. Although Reychel is sti...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
This book picks up right from where it left off and I feel like I could not get enough! Immediately, the reader is thrown into a new city, new people, and a whole new batch of theories coming at you!

What I loved most about this book is once again, the characters. Ms. Jensen characters have this way of keeping their real identity a secret, them BAM! Explode in your face. I loved reading the descriptions and emotions of the characters. Ms. Jensen creates her characters with such secrecy that you d...more
Emily

I really enjoyed this one! Again I clicked my way through in one evening and I have to say that I was impressed with how the story developed. There was enough mystery and intrigue to keep me interested and we learnt more about the fantastic world that Megg Jenson has created.

Again, there were some editing issues. Grammatical errors, missing words, some weird sentence structure etc but it wasn't overly frequent and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story.

I loved the introducti...more
Jamie
Oubliette, the second book in the Cloud Prophet Trilogy had me from the very beginning. It had been a while since I had read the first book but this one picked right up from where Anathema left off.

Reychel is ported to the Southern Kingdom where she meets all new characters. She is no longer a slave but now someone who everyone is looking to as the prophet. Reychel has the gift of prophecy but is not able to control it. She is not sure who she can trust or who to believe. For all you Mark fans,...more
Megan
I finished reading Anathema a few days ago and absolutely loved it so I wanted to start reading the second book in this trilogy right away. And let me tell you I was so NOT disappointed in Oubliette!
The book starts just a few weeks after where Anathema finished, and it doesn’t just slowly get back into the book… it dives headfirst into it! I don’t know how Megg Jensen does it but she has this ability with writing that just grabs a hold of you and wont let go!
In the first book the stage was set...more
Catherine
This book was over way too fast! Loved every moment of it, though :).

Reychel is doing her best, yet still feels like a slave - trying to please everyone else, without being able to actually decide anything on her own. She has been thrust in to an unknown - the palace, the people, all of it unfamiliar. She does an outstanding job of sticking to her guns. The book, as with the one before, is well written; you really feel connected to Reychel. Through all the turmoil, doubt, confusion, etc you feel...more
Miranda Agee
*3.5 STARS*

As with Anathema, I thoroughly enjoyed the world Jensen has created, and was glad to see a wider range of it.

The writing can be a bit muddy, but overall the story is interesting and worth wading through the unnecessary or unclear to get to it. My only suggestion would be to read the series back-to-back. I've found Jensen's writing style grows on you with continuous reading.
Nina
I really enjoyed this installment in the series. Again, it was short, like the first one, but the author really did a great job putting in a lot of twists and turns. She writes enough in that I really don't know what to expect going into the third book.

The only thing that annoyed me about the story was how the dual couple thing evolved - with Reychel and Mark, and Krissen and Ace. It felt kind of contrived to me, and kind of high schoolish. It really smacked of that 'oh everyone has a boyfriend...more
Veray Carter
This is an interesting story about people with powers called gifts in which they can do any number of things. The main person can read the clouds and receive prophecy about the future. I loved the characters and the interesting world she has built. In this book Reychel gets to know her gift better and falls totally in love with Mark. I can't wait for to read the next book!
Books
The second book in the Cloud Prophecy series, “Oubliette” was a good read. It picks up right where the first book left off, and the reader gets to meet a whole array of new and fascinating characters. A slow-moving, yet interesting storyline with unpredictable twists, keeps the reader riveted; and the open ending leaves as much as necessary to be continued in the third and final installment of the series.

My only complaints are that “Oubliette” didn’t have that same “oomph” as what the first book...more
R.G.
Nov 25, 2012 R.G. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
ok i'm gonna say about the 1st half of this book was good... but it was almost like ok what's going on are they just dragging this out... cause now she's in another kingdom having to meet new people and once again trying to figure out who are her allies... but then things start happening and they realize that nothing is as it seems... not even the prophecy about her or Zelor, the original prophet... one of the things i've really liked about this series is that it'll keep surprising you and the e...more
Liz Wood
Great read!!

Obliett is well written, possibly even more well written than the first book in the series, Anathema. Once I read the first, I had to continue.
Jessica
I really like the plot of this series... but I dont love the dialogue and there were a couple of characters that I really didn't like at all.
Sarah Ketley
I am enjoying the storyline in this series very much. The world and characters are interesting and engaging and the book is a nice easy read. Once again i would recommend this story to others. While the ending did increase anticipation for the next book (as i assume the author intended) I found it a little abrupt. However, as there is a third book, it didn't detract too much from my enjoyment.

Other than that, I look forward to the third Installment and I can't wait to see what eventually happen...more
  • Sleight (AVRA-K #1)
  • Released (Agents of Evil, #1)
  • Werewolf Descent (The Last Witch, #2)
  • Damaged: Natalie's Story
  • The Wolf Fey (The Wolf Fey, #1)
  • Transcendent: Tales of the Paranormal
  • August (One Black Rose, #2)
  • The Noble Ones
  • Lover's Betrayal (Misfits of the Lore, #1)
  • Catalyst (The Passage of Hellsfire, #1)
  • Sudden Independents (Independents Book 1)
  • Loramendi's Story
  • Between Worlds: Nekkel Ace
  • Unhallowed Curse (The Sacred Guardians, #2)
  • The Gifts
  • Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers, #2)
  • Uncontrollable (The Nature of Grace, #2)
  • The Magical Tale of Eliza Felding
I've been a freelance parenting journalist since 2003 and began writing YA novels in 2009. I live in the Chicago suburbs with my husband, two kids, and our miniature schnauzers, Ace & Tanu.

For more information on me please visit my website at http://www.meggjensen.com
More about Megg Jensen...
Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1) Sleepers (The Swarm Trilogy, #1) Severed (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #3) The Initiate (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #0.5) Afterlife (The Swarm Trilogy, #2)