Start by marking “Jack the Bodiless (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jack the Bodiless  (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #1)

Jack the Bodiless (Galactic Milieu Trilogy #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,620 ratings  ·  55 reviews
In the year 2051, Earth stood on the brink of acceptance as full member of the Galactic Milieu, a confederation of worlds spread across the galaxy. Leading humanity was the powerful Remillard family, but somebody—or something—known only as "Fury" wanted them out of the way.
Published January 21st 1992 by Alfred a Knopf (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Jack the Bodiless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack the Bodiless

CD
I got hooked on this series and this entry, the first, did the trick. An unexpected story line that works really well even if you figure it all out in the first few pages. Very technical and intricate but leaves you wanting a lot more detail about all the powers that these characters possess and struggle with as an essential plot line.

The whole of the Remillard clan come across in human terms that strongly balances the obvious differences that makes them 'not like the others'.

If you start this T
Lisa Eskra
Within the first 13 chapters I realized this book had a fatal flaw -- multiple personality disorder. Rogi is the protagonist, and he works in that regard. But there are at least a dozen other characters, many of them too minor to deserve a POV of their own. Due to this fact, I never felt a great connection to any of the characters. The reader never stays in the head of any of them long enough (with the sole exception of Rogi). The POV problem felt glaring, especially early on. I didn't like jump ...more
Andreas
The scope of this saga spanning eight novels is staggering. A gate is opened to the past, specifically the Pliocene era. But it is a one-way trip. Adventurous souls travel back, and find a world unlike any they could imagine. Epic conflict rages between ancient races, and the future destiny of man is decided. The initial four books make up The Saga of Pliocene Exile.

* The Many-Coloured Land
* The Golden Torc
* The Nonborn King
* The Adversary

These can be read as a standalone series, but who wou
Mara Ness
Galactic Milieu is probably my favourite series ever. I re-read all of them (including the prequels Surveillance and Metaconcert) every few years or so and they never disappoint. In my opinion, one of the strengths of this series is its characterisation. I adore Jack (who despite his physical state is so very very human), but I also love Rogi and Marc and Denis and Dorothea/Diamond Mask and basically all of the other characters. In some places the writing gets a bit tedious (I don't particularly ...more
Maddie
How can you go wrong with a book that starts with "It was a dark and stormy night..."? This is the first book of The Galactic Milieu Trilogy. In addition there is a set of prequels and post-quels to the trilogy.

I'm a sucker for good plot and this series definitely has it. In addition, it also has great humor, lots of big words (a dictionary by my side at all times), and impeccable research (who knew that you could still buy ice axes are REI in the year 2113?).

And so the first paragraph continu
Patrick Hadley
This book was kinda interesting. It was just good enough for me to finish, but when it was over I realized it was total garbage. Most of what happens in the middle of the book doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the end or the beginning. It's about 300 pages of wasted words. If it weren't for the somewhat amusing character of Uncle Rogi, I would've given up on it long ago. As it stands, I started reading the second one, and I may never stop regretting that mistake.
Brad Oster
This is one of the best series I have read. Though I read it back in the 80's, I have since re-read it a couple of times and I still find it engaging. Personal tastes I suppose...
Kathleen
read before June 1993
love this whole series, but especially liked this part of it
Hali Sowle
I first read this back in 1992 when it was published and felt it was one of the best sci-fi books I had read to that point. When I saw that it was released on the Kindle I scooped it, and the rest of the Galactic Milieu series, up and hoped it was as good as I remembered. It was. The book hasn't really grown old, the technology that she writes about is not out-dated, the central theme of the book -metaphysical powers, the effect of being a immature part of a galactic unity and the desire to stay ...more
Ria
Amazing book, so well written and such a gripping plot.
Intervention has happened and Earth is on the brink of being accepted into the Galactic milieu but things are not running smoothly, a metapsychic child is born to Teresa Kendall a member of the Remillard dynasty, he is an incredibly gifted being who is fighting for his own survival against medical odds as his body is fighting against him and only his mind is keeping him alive together with the help of medical science.
Uncle Rogi and Marc Rem
Brent
One of my favorite books. This is the first one that sucked me into the Galactic Milieu series and then later into the Pliocene prequel series. So Jack the Bodiless is technically book #6 since its based in the future, but only if you look at like the stupid Star Wars re-numbering insanity lol. Actually its Pliocene 1-4, Intervention which is book 5 (though some countries broke it into two books) and then the Galactic Milieu which are books 6-8. (honestly I had to re-edit this as I confused myse ...more
Ben
This is probably the third time I have read this book, possibly the fourth. It seems that it is a natural continuation of a cycle which begins with The Many-Colored Land and ends up with The Adversary. Inevitably, I want to read more and Intervention follows, which is also an excellent book.

Sadly, after all those great reads, Jack falls somewhat flat. To be sure, there are some vague glimpses of the overstory which are appreciated, and it is interesting to see the continuing story of Remillard f
Ward Bond

In the year 2051, Earth stood on the brink of acceptance as full member of the Galactic Milieu, a confederation of worlds spread across the galaxy. Leading humanity was the powerful Remillard family, but somebody�or something�known only as "Fury" wanted them out of the way.
Only Rogi Remillard, the chosen tool of the most powerful alien being in the Milieu, and his nephew Marc, the greatest metapsychic yet born on Earth, knew about Fury. But even they were powerless to stop it when it began to k

Rod Lindsey
I first got this book, not knowing what it was about, because the title was interesting. I now own three copies, one a first edition, another a signed, numbered readers-edition. It is that good. On my first read, when it was over, I was hopeful for humanity, that someone could still write a book that good. I just re-read it and got goose bumps at the end. So very worth your time as a reader.
Alan Denham
This is officially the first in the Galactic Milieu Trilogy. Readers may prefer to regard it as the equel to Intervention (my review here) or the sixth in Julian May's Saga (review here). Although it is officially 'first in the set' I do not recommend starting here. Quite strongly do not recommend!
That aside, provided you started the series somewhere else, this is a pretty good book. Some of the mind-powers scenarios tested my 'suspension of disbelief' pretty close to its limit (and that is th
Earl Baugh
This is one of my all time favorite SF books. EXCELLENT!
This actually falls in the "middle" of the world Julian May has created, but it was an EXCELLENT place to dive in.
Nathaniel
Again, an excellent novel exploding with detail. Amazing characters, wonderfully descriptive and lush writing. It's a commitment to read, but well worth it.
Graham
Another slow burn. My goodness you need to have your wits about you to untangle the various relationships in the dynastic 3 generations and multicultural Remillard clan. If you can keep going for about 250 pages, you'll get Jon's birth, motorbikes, flames, naked brains and alien mating habits. Conversations between the baddies Hydra and Fury are well written, and now read like twitter conversations (bizarre).
Again well researched, but for a scifi fantasy it's hard work: I liken it to a mountain
April Moore
Excellent, excellent story in a fascinating universe.
Lisa
This Sci/fi-fantasy series by Julian May gets top ranking from me for character development, virtuoso story telling, and an intricate if somewhat dated plot line. This particular volume of her 9 book series is perhaps my favorite, probably because most of it is narrated by the warm hearted, irascible, and quirky Uncle Rogi, who is so real he feels like someone I actually know rather than just a character in a book.

I probably re-read (or at least skim through) this entire series every 5 years or
Rob Carr
An interesting read. I had read an earlier series of May's which I really enjoyed so jumped when I saw this one. The first book holds promise for it being a good trilogy.
Dev
Simply the best space opera, and the best series of novels I've ever read. This is the first of the nine, and while the last three show signs of fatigue, these novels capture a cast of characters, and one in Marc Remillard, that are truly memorable. From the worlds and milieu May imagines to her evocative themes, the novels capture humanity with all its foibles and promise, and if you stick around for #6, you'll get the best plot twist in all of bookdom.
Roberto
The pliocene exile saga was one of my favourite scifi bok series when I was a teenager. I had read it all in the wrong order because finding the books in Argentina was not easy.

Thanks to goodreads I learned there were a bunch of other books set in the same universe and decided reading them.

While not as enjoyable, because these assume lots of backstory, the writing is enjoyable, and it's fun. I sure would have loved to read these 20 years ago.
Shayne Power
I don't remember the first time I read this book. It was a long time ago (probably when the rest of the trilogy was still being written I suppose, because I don't remember reading them at all).

Too tired for a proper review right now, mainly because I didn't sleep long enough last night because I couldn't put this down until I'd finished it. Maybe that tells you something.

I just have to ask: crippling diseases aside, is Jack a Mary-Sue?
Charles
Disappointing.

For one thing, it's one of those books that might be called Science Fantasy. The "science" focused on is psychic stuff. There is space travel, but all the "action" takes place in two places, and not much travelling is done. Also, Bigfoot is a reality. So, very little Science in the Science Fiction.

My bigger problem with the book is that not much happened.

A couple of the characters were relatively well done.
Vicki Ellerhorst
I've read it before. Enjoyed it more now. Family and Science. What a combo. Hollywood should try this series. Don't know why they haven't. Humans & Exotics just trying to get along. A very sick little boy to worry about. And a Metapsychic bogyman to contend with. A trilogy that ends and circles around to begin with The Pliocene Exiles series. This trilogy starts with The Intervention duo and shouldn't be missed.
Martijn Heitlager
It may be a good read for many people, but her own (as far as I know) made up words to describe the psionic effects of her characters drove me crazy. This made me stop reading after about a 100 pages, and I don't usually do that.
So if you have no problems with that go try them because most people seem to like them, but if you do I'd say that there are more than enough other good books you can read.
Wayne
This is the last novel in a series called The Galactic Milieu Trilogy. It's preceeded by "The Surveillance" and "The Metaconcert." As I recall, the series is good SF with lots of wry wit. It loops back into another series called something like "The Pilocene Exile" which takes place six million years ago...but I can recall how! I really enjoyed all the books.
Clyde
Jack the Bodiless is not a bad story overall. However, it suffers from too much filler. Had it been edited down to two-thirds its length (or even less), it would have been a much tighter story and a better read. I tired of it part-way through, but did manage to finish it.
(I doubt that I will read the remainder of Julian May's Galactic Milieu trilogy.)
Ataahua
The strongest of the four books in May's Galactic Milieu series, Jack the Bodiless packs a punch that will leave readers breathless. Brilliant plotting. (Note that the series starts with a prequel, Intervention.)
  • The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die (Gap, #5)
  • Nothing Sacred
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Earthclan
  • Sideshow
  • The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)
  • Ties of Power (Trade Pact Universe, #2)
  • Beggars and Choosers (Sleepless, #2)
  • The Avatar
  • The Stone Within (Chung Kuo, #4)
  • Dreamfall (Cat, #3)
  • Pilgrimage: The Book of the People (The People)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • The Cassini Division (The Fall Revolution, #3)
  • Neverness (A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, #0)
  • Starchild Trilogy
Pseudonym Ian Thorne, J.C. May, Lee N. Falconer.
More about Julian May...
The Many-Coloured Land (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #1) The Golden Torc (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #2) The Adversary (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #4) The Nonborn King (Saga of the Pliocene Exile, #3) Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)