Start by marking “Falling from Grace” as Want to Read:
Falling from Grace

Falling from Grace

2.88 of 5 stars 2.88  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  55 reviews
It was all meant to be just a game, but now Grace is missing and may not even be alive. During an elaborate game of hide-and-seek on the beach, twelve-year-old sisters Annie and Grace are caught in the rising tide, and Grace seems to have been swept away. In the midst of this, fourteen-year-old Kip is also in the wrong place at the wrong time. Finding Grace's abandoned bac ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Holiday House (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Falling from Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling from Grace

Macbeth by William ShakespeareAnimal Farm by George OrwellJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëTwo Brothers by Hannie Rayson
They made me read this
21st out of 32 books — 3 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldLord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Required Reading in High School
308th out of 421 books — 569 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeremy
Motivated purely by being involved in my son's first-year-of-high-school-English-work and not the sort of book I would pick up, I was pleasantly surprised.

The central characters were strong and the plot moved along at a nice brisk Nepean Point tidal pace; it was a page-turner. I wanted to know what happened and, while I could see where it was going, I still wanted to hang in there to see how the characters reacted and how they ended up. I cared about them.

The shifting of narrative focus between
In all honesty this book was terrible, I had to read it for year 8 English, and I ended up skipping parts, it was that boring. But what I find funny, is that after studying this book for a term I didn't even need to know the information in the five chapters I hardly read. I think this shows how unimportant and unnecessary half of the text was.

Now the characters. Other than Kip and a little on Ted, where's the backstory? If you want to right a book where you can connect to the characters, they n
Chloe purvis
i had to read this book fro year 8 English (aka last term) even though i do English 3 years a head of me, as a class we read this together. the book to me was dull, and a little boring, but that's compared to what i usually read. i definitely see the purpose of studying this book in schools, though i love doing 4 essays about the same boring book ( sarcasm). i don't think i would ever read it again though, not for pleasure at least. i don't know if the author was aiming for an educational book w ...more
Stacy
Weird and creepy all at the same time. And creepy in a bad way, not a good one. Like the funny neighbor that talks to your chest and twirls a handlebar mustache and not like a Japanese horror movie.
Monty
Read this for year7 English. My favourite character is Kip. I did like the cute 'about-to-be' relationship I with Kip and Grace. Ship Krace!
Anyway, I didn't like the ending oh they had all this suspense and all this investigation and in the end they just found her. That's it no big stumble in finding her, they just found her.i expected something bigger with all that investigating taking up the whole book but on the plus side, the way Jane set the plot up was quite good and i am always a fan of f
Heidi
I read this to support my son, for whom it is a prescribed, Y7 English text. I found it unsettling to say the least and read to the end with a sense of deep dread. I believe it is this same creepy feeling, and the fact that he "has to " read it, which guarantee that he has no desire to find out what happens in the end. Clearly I read this with a very different mindset to all those adults who rave about its perfect plotting and characterisation. I have waited months to review it, and still feel " ...more
Miss Schultz
A Year 8 English staple.
Eleni Cook
I would give this book 0 out of 5 stars if I could, that is how bad this book is. This book is the worst book I have even read. The book has no point and it's pretty much about a fall who falls off a grace, a cliff and she nearly died but she lives.

There is no character development or any interesting about the book. Some of the characters in this book are very creep and I don't understand what is going thorough the author's mind when she is writing it because the creep characters don't fit the
Camren Fletcher
Q. What didnt you like about this book? Why?

A. A few things that I didnt like about this book were that I didnt know what half of the things that they were talking about were! Like I no NOTHING about guitars so when he was talking about this guys mid condition whatever guitar I'm sitting here thinking "What in the world is that?!". Something else that was very unenjoyable was that the book got REALLY boring at some points. The author lost me during most of the book. It was dull and boring and ju
Caitlin S
Falling from grace was a great book. I understood everything that it had to say. Falling from grace was a book about a two girls who are playing hide and go seek in the forest and the two girls get lost. They were carrying a backpack that had everything that they needed like a cellphone and some food. While they were lost they found a penguin and they put it in the backpack and they lost the backpack down the river. So then they tried to find there way home. Then this boy comes and finds the bac ...more
Kimberli
Falling From Grace" by Jane Godwin in an amazing mystery that will have you on the edge of your seat right from the start. Sisters Grace and Annie are trying to help a dying penguin on the beach at Point Nepean in Australia. Grace and Annie are 11 months apart and for one month out of the year they are the same age so at the time they are both 12. On the other side of the beach 14 year old Kip is dealing with his own issues, his thoughts, his feelings on being a teenager. Grace disappears and si ...more
Michelle
Oct 16, 2014 Michelle added it
Shelves: young-adult
Grace goes missing during a storm after a hiding game with her sister, Annie. As the police become involved and the search finds nothing, a young boy and a mysterious former musician become suspects. Interesting characters, and a nicely tied up ending, but a few too-big coincidences to be realistic.
Emese
It was good as but the book longed for some interesting pieces at first but placed them in during the plot in conclusion the book is an interesting intreeging well writes book if I would rate it out of 5 it would be a 4/5 or 4.5/5
We had to read this a couple of years ago for english class, and if I didn't have to read it I probably wouldn't have.

The characters aren't particularly likeable or relateable (at least from my point of view), and the storyline a bit too dragged out. There are quite a few slow scenes, and too many loose ends by the end of the novel.

We analysed it quite a bit for school, and I found myself not really needing to know any of the information we delved into.

The writing wasn't bad, the actual storylin
Jenny
Had to read this for year 8 English. It was simply boring. The ending was really obvious, they find Grace, and all is well. Definitely not recommended.
Pauline Toohey
A fast paced story that will have any YA/MG reader hooked. I came across this story as a tutor (curriculum assigned) and was pleasantly surprised. Lots of turns and unseen weaves and dogdes. Easy grammar for those not too inclined to pick up a book.

But ... and there's always a but .... I'll try to avoid a spoiler ... so SPOILER ALERT .... and I'll continue down below ....

The author had a the choice of labelling the possible bad guy (Ted) as either that or a good. Stranger danger and the neglec
Per0040
This book was good! Very interesting and I am still reading it! Half way!
Lindsey S
Taylor Mills
Aug 25, 2014 Taylor Mills marked it as to-read
Don't know how to read on this thing
Katie
This book was quiet a decent read it's high school entry level of reading so it's nothing to brain hurting. Even though the conclusion is pretty obvious as your reading the books there are enough plot lines left open to make it still intriguing and real. The majority of the story is told by Kip and Annie who are both looking for missing Grace for different reasons. The story is set in Point Nepean in Victoria, Australia. The book is a quick read but can feel like it's like substance at time. All ...more
Lindsey Fleck
Olivia enjoyed this book
Ruby
Absoloutly LOVE this book! Once you get into it you don't want to stop reading! I usally love really girly books and such, but this is a real adventure book! But it's also quite sad. Idon't quite know how to explain it, it's not like the typical adventure book like journey to the centre of the earth. It's really well and truely on of the best books I've ever read! I read for school as one of the books we ares studying and i found it one of the BEST books ever!
Ashley.a
I gave this book a 4 star review because it was a good mystery book. I though the book was a good book. I like myster/detective books alot. So that's why I read this book. I think that this book was kind of different from other mystery books, but yet it was still kind of the same. The girl was found in a cave after a storm and she fell off a mountain. Thats kind of different but still the same.
Jodie
This book is about 5 people who happen to be out at night during a terrible storm. Annie and her twin sister, Grace, are hiking when Grace slips and falls. They don't know where she is. Kip walks around and talks to people, and he learns more about what happened. This book was ok, but I don't really recommend it because the plot wasn't that interesting.
Yii-huei
Worst book I've ever read. I read this as an English text for year 8, and it was absolutely dreadful to read. Having to do plot & character analysis as homework was some of the worst English pain-in-the-butt activities I had to do. The plot is so monotonous and the characters were dull.
Kimberly Hernandez
I would give this book 3 1/2 stars if I could. It was a fast read for adults, and an exciting read for young adults. The story is from three different points of view, and details the emotions in each very well.
It is set in Australia and has suspense, mystery and action.
Makaela
I read Falling from Grace and I gave it four stars. I gave it four stars because it was suspenseful and it kept me hooked. If you like Detective fiction then you will love this book. Two sisters and then one goes missing find out how and where if you read it.
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties
Sep 27, 2012 ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to ♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties by: My school
Not a big fan, just a bit too slow paced, nothing really exciting. Too many loose ends at the end. Book gave a lot of amusing talks within my class, but there was nothing exciting like car chases or running away from some bad guy. Overall, I didn't like it.
Katharine
I thought it was a great Australian book. Though odd, it had interesting characters and the plot kept me reading. Many students in the class liked this. One of the few books that got positive response from students at my school as a book for study.
Courtney
Read this book for school. Was really good. Think it was cleverly written in the tense of all the different characters. The book was very emotional and sad and made you feel as if you were part of the book and living the story!
kip and ted 1 18 Nov 05, 2009 05:35PM
  • Nikki and the Vampire
  • Inventing Elliot
  • Kisses for Lula
  • Alpha Bloodlines
  • Ex On The Beach
  • Seducing Jason
  • Going Berserk (Berserker Mate's, #1.5)
  • Taboo (Shades of Deception, #2)
  • Finding Out What the Bad Boy Fights For
  • A Holiday to Remember
  • Friends With Benefits
  • Sweetest Mistress (Fem Dom, #1)
  • Perfect Match (Inside Girl, #5)
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks
  • Blood Moon (Howl #2)
  • A Gift of Snow
  • The Longest Memory
  • The Departed (MacKinnon Curse, #3)
Today We Have No Plans All Through The Year The True Story of Mary Who Wanted to Stand on Her Head Minnie And The Super Guys Little Cat And The Big Red Bus

“Never trust someone who can't enjoy music [...] you can guarantee that they're only half alive.” 0 likes