Start by marking “The Red Goddess” as Want to Read:
The Red Goddess

The Red Goddess

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The Red Goddess takes you through a tale of sex, drugs and violence.
This is an ecstatic journey through the unheard history of BABALON from Revelations, back through the Ishtar Gate and forward into a living modern magickal current.

This is an explicit and challenging vision of a very modern goddess coming into power.
This is more than a history, it is a passionate account o
Paperback, Bibliotheque Rouge, Limitless Love Edition, 234 pages
Published 2007 by Scarlet Imprint

To ask other readers questions about The Red Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Goddess

Tim Pendry

This is well within the tradition of rollicking pseudo-histories of humanity that are to be found in the specialist 'spiritual' shelves of many book stores.

But it is a cut above the rest in trying to stick with the facts and, unusually, merges its vision with slabs of 'practical magick' - things that can be done and which excite the imagination.

Peter Grey, writing within the occultist Scarlet Imprint stable, is restrained enough that we can start to take him seriously as someone tapping into an
Fawn
Jul 20, 2012 Fawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Babalon compels me to re-think my Pagan ideologies. When I was a younger ‘religious scholar’ I poured over and obsessed on the Book of Revelations. Not understanding the history of it’s author or any comparison in apocalyptic writings, my Catholic upbringing still had it’s chains around me; holding me to the shame, guilt and eventually the fear used to control. Of course, this might also have been due to me being a slight insomniac in high school (one bout lasted 23 days with little more than 3 ...more
Donna Swindells
Jun 19, 2012 Donna Swindells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an eye-opener. As you read it, you see the Goddess as She is, A Divinely Sexual Female, beautiful, Temptress, Seducer, Queen & Ruler. I could go on, there are so many titles & words for our Goddess.
Why the Red Goddess? Remember Robert Graves' White Goddess? A classic, So is this book. You
see this Goddess throughout History & time. Men try to surpress Her, undermine Her, even try to wipe Her out, to no avail. Red lipstick is sexy, so is a red dress, so is the Red Godde
Pieter-Jan Beyul
Aug 03, 2012 Pieter-Jan Beyul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelf
This is not a book if you are looking for prefabricated rituals to invoke the Goddess. Neither is it a theoretical piece. But this definitely is the book you should read if you call yourself a devotee of Babalon, or just the Divine Feminine, the Goddess of Love. This book comes at the right time and I think the author himself knows this all too well.
Peter Grey delivers a magickal history of Her and it is one of the best out there to my humble opinion. He traces her legacy all the way back to Mes
Cameron
I liked this book, mainly because there were several choice excerpts from it which I have quoted from. There is some good information on goddess mythology, and how the Virgin Mary was a poor attempt to replace the Goddess. He also talks about how not all goddesses are one goddess. Other than that, there's a whole lot of propaganda about "sacred prostitutes" which I think really confuse secular prostitutes with sexual priestesses - come on, people, they weren't and aren't the same thing! There wa ...more
Bruce
Feb 08, 2014 Bruce rated it it was amazing
The other reviewers cover this well... for me this book was a true transmission, as well as being an excellent alternate true history from its particular lens. I'm not a magick practioner per se but I'm on a path and simply reading this and doing a couple of thought experiments was a real can opener to the self.

Books about Babalon are bound to end in, well, you know how it ends. So take it, and of course take any book that is a can opener to the self, with a bit of...?
Aaron Meyer
Dec 20, 2013 Aaron Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: occult
Covers the history of Babalon from her beginnings in Sumer up to the current times. He gives his twist on events in history and how it applies to Babalon and shows how her presence has persisted despite the best attempts to wipe her out. Key characters in this book are John Dee, Aleister Crowley and Jack Parson, as well as the authors own self. Definitely worth the read, I only wish there was more practical information covered in addition to the history and musings. But perhaps the next book ... ...more
Dusan
Jun 24, 2013 Dusan rated it it was amazing
Great book that connects Sumerian mythology over Dee & Kelly work all the way to Jack Parsons' escapades. I read it several times and most recently in trying to connect with parts of Robert Graves' The White Goddess. Grey clearly shares a great and justified passion for the subject, still some of his analyses of goddess suppression in Judaism and Christianity, I felt, needed clearer historical positioning. I wish the book is double in length. Must read!
Magda
Sep 24, 2011 Magda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult-studies
An in-depth examination of the Goddess in her guise as Babalon. Highly recommended for anyone wishing to explore the mysteries of the Dark Lady.
Sujan Dey
Sujan Dey marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
James Nacht
James Nacht marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Gyrus
Gyrus marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Kalle
Kalle marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Universal
Universal marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Michael Champion
Michael Champion marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Sigilise
Sigilise marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Patrick Shearer
Patrick Shearer is currently reading it
Mar 17, 2016
Ldupre
Ldupre marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Ed Cichon
Ed Cichon marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Scarlet
Scarlet marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Ernie Martelo
Ernie Martelo marked it as to-read
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Kazz
Kazz marked it as to-read
Damon
Damon marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Owen
Owen marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
April Chase
April Chase marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Cale Stobbie
Cale Stobbie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
  • The Art Museum
  • Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism, and the Politics of Identity
  • A Dark Muse: A History of the Occult
  • Liber Aleph Vel CXI: The Book of Wisdom or Folly, in the Form an Epistle of 666, the Great Wild Beast to His Son 777, Being the Equinox, Volume III Number VI
  • Forbidden Faith: The Secret History of Gnosticism
  • The Nazi Occult
  • Freedom Is a Two Edged Sword
  • The Apophenion: a chaos magick paradigm: A Chaos Magic Paradigm
  • Gothic
  • The Magical Revival
  • Mirage Men: An Adventure into Paranoia, Espionage, Psychological Warfare, and UFOs
  • Pagan Britain
  • Grimoires: A History of Magic Books
  • Acolytes of Cthulhu
  • Angels, Demons & Gods of the New Millenium: Musings on Modern Magick
  • Thee Psychick Bible: Thee Apocryphal Scriptures ov Genesis Breyer P-Orridge and Thee Third Mind ov Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth
  • Magic, Science and Religion and Other Essays
  • The Hellfire Clubs: Sex, Satanism and Secret Societies
Peter Grey is the co-founder of Scarlet Imprint with Alkistis Dimech. He is a devotee of Babalon and the author of The Red Goddess, which has become the standard work on the Goddess of Revelation. A deliberately provocative telling of her story, this has become essential reading for many.
His controversial Apocalyptic Witchcraft has been called the most important modern book on Witchcraft, placing
More about Peter Grey...

“For the modern born-again Christians, Revelations is a road map to the heavenly Jerusalem. The idea of the Rapture where believers are plucked bodily to heaven moments before the final fire has millions of credulous adherents. This is a very dangerous mental state that fosters passivity, blind acceptance, and helplessness.
Other post-millennial Christians believe we must create a kingdom of God with religion running politics for Jesus to return and usher in the end. This could be a kitsch footnote in a history of cults, but the new Christian right have the power and influence to implement John’s dream. American foreign policy already shows the heavy influence not only of oil politics but of Christian apocalyptic thinking. Both Blair and Bush were guided by their faith and prayed together before embarking on the Iraq war.”
1 likes
“The cult of the Virgin Mary enabled the worship of the Goddess to flourish, albeit in a cauterised form. As I keep repeating in a mantra, sex is power. The Virgin was a method of turning the sexual impulse of Christians back into the Church and onto the figure of the crucified Christ. I would describe this as a particularly unsavoury form of magick. This is the use of repression and misery as a spiritual battery. This enslavement of the worshipper’s natural desires is the exact opposite of the natural and healthy lust for Babalon.

With the resolutely chaste Mary in position, churches had a surrogate Goddess back in the house. Christ knows, they needed one. To sell Christianity to the fans of the God who dies and is reborn (like the crops in the fields) the Church used statues of Mary and Jesus that were rather close to those of Isis and the Child Horus. This mother/son icon propaganda was like a Pepsi taste test for the wavering pagans. They failed.

It requires other women to keep women as slaves stripped of their sexual power. The BVM did that job. She was the only role model that you could fixate upon.

As a Goddess she is a clitoridectomy. If you lift her skirt you can see the coarse black thread where she has been snipped and stitched. The thread is plaited from the beard of Jehovah himself. This is not a woman anymore. Look under the hem and learn.”
1 likes