Start by marking “The Marketing Agency Blueprint: The Handbook for Building Hybrid PR, Seo, Content, Advertising, and Web Firms” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The marketing-services industry is on the cusp of a truly transformational period. The old guard, rooted in tradition and resistant to change, will fall and new leaders will emerge.

Hybrid marketing agencies that are more nimble, tech savvy, and collaborative will redefine the industry. Digital services will be engrained into the DNA of every agency and blended with tradit
Published December 20th 2011 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Marketing Agency Blueprint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marketing Agency Blueprint

Glenn Schmelzle
Sep 19, 2015 Glenn Schmelzle rated it liked it
Utilization rate, talent acquisition, project management, cashflow. None of these things is taught in marketing courses, yet these are all things a marketer needs to know in order to build a successful consultancy or agency. Paul built his own agency in his 20s & early 30s, so he can talk from actual experience. The book gives strategic concepts and a few anecdotes about how Paul found these tools to be handy in his own journey as he built his firm.
Fred Zimny
Mar 10, 2014 Fred Zimny rated it it was amazing
The core

The Marketing Agency Blueprint presents 10 rules for building tech-savvy, hybrid agencies that will disrupt and transform the marketing services industry.

Written for agency leaders and professionals—PR, SEO, advertising, content and web—readers are presented with a practical and candid guide to:

Generate more qualified leads.
Win clients with set pricing and service packages.
Secure more long-term retainers.
Create diverse and recurring revenue streams.
Develop highly efficient management sys
Michael Gass
Feb 22, 2013 Michael Gass rated it it was amazing
If you are either looking to start your own agency or restructure your existing firm, Paul Roetzer’s book, The Marketing Agency Blueprint, will be a big help.

Paul is a small agency owner. He is the founder and CEO of PR 20/20 established in 2004. He has built an incredible national and international awareness and appeal for his agency’s new business using social media and inbound marketing. PR 20/20 was also the industry’s first provider of standardized services and set pricing and grew revenue
David
Jul 04, 2015 David rated it liked it
Intro book on how a small digital ad agency is run. Unfortunately, I was looking for a book on how a major ad agency like Ogilvy is transforming. The book is ok, although bit general. Then again, I assume the targeted readers are not expected to have management or business school background. Oh, well. Got the wrong book.
Cuong Nguyen
Dec 07, 2015 Cuong Nguyen rated it it was amazing
The title covers the content and this is a must read book for everyone in the agency industry (and professional services too). What I love about the book is not about the tools, process or strategic plan but the author's philosophy of how to build a firm on integrity and see the client as the core of every activity.
Phil Simon
Apr 13, 2012 Phil Simon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
When I wrote The New Small: How a New Breed of Small Businesses Is Harnessing the Power of Emerging Technologies (shameless plug), I profiled a new set of companies that used intelligent management and technologies to do amazing things. Had I known about Roetzer's company, it surely would have been featured in the book. While I'm not familiar with the inner workings of PR firms and marketing agencies, I found that the lessons in "Blueprint" can be extrapolated for many types of businesses.

I cert
Gunnar Duvenhorst
Jun 22, 2014 Gunnar Duvenhorst rated it it was ok
Very redundant and going nowhere but in circles. The basic idea is great though.
Nenad Vukusic
Jan 15, 2013 Nenad Vukusic rated it liked it
If you are about to open an advertising agency and you don't know where to start, start with this book. It consists of a great introduction that describes what and ad agency is supposed to do and how to calculate your prices, income, revenue...what kind of people there are and who do you need to employ to make your agency work. I would recommend it to all of the ad execs who feel lost in the brave new social networked digital word that renders them obsolete. I am sorry. Time to adapt or die, din ...more
Rolando
Aug 10, 2013 Rolando rated it it was amazing
If you ever need a crash course book to a new marketing agency project, you need to read this book.
Paul did a really great job putting together all the pieces for decision making and processes regarding a marketing agency challenges nowadays.
I personally found the "think talent and team" part of the book, because it gives me a fresh perspective of what an agency needs towards its goals.
Highly recommended book for every marketing entrepreneur or student.
Autumn
Aug 06, 2012 Autumn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, business
I fell into the world of marketing. I didn't go to school for marketing, and I've only been at it for just over a year. So when I landed a dream content developer job with a digital marketing agency, I wanted to do a deep-dive and learn some basics quickly. This book, coupled with A Project Guide to UX Deisgn, was a huge help! I recommend it to anyone working in marketing or interested in the field.
Maria Mcdavis
Apr 29, 2012 Maria Mcdavis rated it it was amazing

As a boutique digital marketing agency owner, this book is arguably one of the best books I have read in a long.

The information he provides to help smaller, smarter agencies compete in the new economy is priceless.

This is not a philosophical book filled with hyperbole, but a practical, how-to guide to building an innovative, competitive agency... Of any size.
Melissa
Jan 03, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
The book has good lists of questions and a few templates that are useful. It also offers a whole list of resources at the end. I believe the reason the book appealed to me so much was that this IS how I set up my agency back in 2006 (even though the author of the preface suggests that PR 20/20 was the first to do so...in 2010). ;)
Andreas
Sep 30, 2013 Andreas rated it really liked it
while not revolutionary, it was a systematic read in helping us becoming a market leader in the years to come. Will not help with quality of service issues but will help in giving a systematic view pr/marketing agency business development and management
Ryan
Oct 13, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it
Roetzer lays out a clear view of where he feels the marketing agency world is going, and lays a detailed path for you to get there. If you are a marketing pro working with clients, or hope to one day, this book is a must read.
Richard Podsada
Jul 13, 2012 Richard Podsada rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read on Marketing Agency Management 2.0. Written really well, not the boring old hum-drum of your typical business / management book. Anybody running a modern marketing agency must read this.
Jay Best
Aug 18, 2013 Jay Best rated it it was amazing
One of the very best books on modern marketing.
It's awesome reading books railing against the madman style of advertising execs.
It covers the true digital and digital methods but combined with the Old school too.
Mailis Viiand
Jun 10, 2013 Mailis Viiand rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, marketing
Good writing style, good mixture of different knowledge and experiences. I agreed with many points made and I got some new ideas when reading this, which always gives extra plus points in my opinion.
JP  Douma
Jul 21, 2012 JP Douma rated it it was amazing

The title covers the contents. We are using it as a guideline to transform into a disruptive agency. If you are an agency owner you got to read his.
Jorge
Mar 06, 2013 Jorge rated it really liked it
I Like it! Although I don't agree with some perspectives of the author it's a book I recommend!
Craig Lindberg
Oct 01, 2013 Craig Lindberg rated it it was amazing
Paul Roetzer is brilliant and any agency would do well to take note of his advice.
Murshidul
Jul 26, 2013 Murshidul rated it really liked it
An amazing read about ins, outs of Agencies. Also, it has all the best practices.
Jose Carranco
Jose Carranco marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
April  Han
April Han rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Bgalvin
Bgalvin marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Alexandra Lehmann
Alexandra Lehmann rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
docuphile
docuphile marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Tst
Tst rated it it was ok
May 30, 2016
Sandra Sullivan
Sandra Sullivan rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
Thomas Brown
Thomas Brown marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Meredita Susanty
Meredita Susanty marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
  • Sexy Little Numbers: How to Grow Your Business Using the Data You Already Have
  • The B2B Social Media Book: Become a Marketing Superstar by Generating Leads with Blogging, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Email, and More
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Data Mining Techniques: For Marketing, Sales, and Customer Relationship Management
  • Brand Against the Machine: How to Build Your Brand, Cut Through the Marketing Noise, and Stand Out from the Competition
  • Search Engine Optimization for Dummies
  • Uprising: How to Build a Brand--and Change the World--By Sparking Cultural Movements
  • Economics for Dummies
  • Interactive Project Management: Pixels, People, and Process
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Consumerology: The Market Research Myth, the Truth about Consumers and the Psychology of Shopping
  • Chief Culture Officer: How to Create a Living, Breathing Corporation
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Head First HTML5 Programming
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Business Law
  • Marketing in the Round: Multichannel Approaches in the Post-Social Media Era
Paul Roetzer is founder and CEO of PR 20/20, a Cleveland-based inbound marketing agency, specializing in public relations, content marketing, search marketing and social media. PR 20/20 was the first agency in HubSpot's value-added reseller (VAR) program, which now includes more than 250 certified firms.

Prior to launching PR 20/20 in 2005, Paul spent six years as a consultant and vice president at
More about Paul Roetzer...