Start by marking “Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)” as Want to Read:
Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)

Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of Warcraft #9)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  2,208 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
The Hour of Twilight. She'd spoken of it at the meeting, tried to warn the others of it, but the warning had gotten lost; a little bright fragment of . . . something . . . had been briskly swept away like a broken bit of pottery beneath an industrious broom. It was-- She gnawed her lower lip, thinking.

It was the greatest challenge the dragonflights would face, but she did
Published July 19th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Thrall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thrall

Brian
Jul 26, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golden is the only author allowed to write in the World of Warcraft franchise, as she has respect for the characters, the Lore, and the fans.

In this book, we see why Deathwing is such a threat to all of Azeroth, and why Thrall stepping down as Warchief was a good thing.

Thrall has always been one of the best character in the Warcraft universe, and Golden further develops the Orc into his new role as Shaman within the Eathen Ring. Along the way, he exorcises his demons, unites the Dragonflights,
Scott Callaway
Jul 23, 2011 Scott Callaway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Warcraft Players
Christie Golden never fails to impress me.

I used to play World of Warcraft religiously and still dabble with the game occasionally but more or less for the story. That is the sole reason I have not cut ties with the World of Warcraft because I love its lore. So whenever I can get my hands on a new book that continues its story I'm all over it. "Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects" is a book worthy of praise and stays true to the fans of the game.

I originally thought it would be strange having a dif
Ahmad Sharabiani
Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of Warcraft #9), Christie Golden
Kae
Aug 20, 2011 Kae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As with every other WOW book, I enjoyed it because I love the world and characters. The writing itself is only OK. Golden's strength is in the characters and their relationships. She creates some very emotional moments in this book, which makes the whole experience worthwhile. Her pacing felt good – I finished the book in a single day so obviously it drew me in. There weren't a lot of surprises, but I was entertained.

(view spoiler)
Anni (Tea in the Treetops)
Review originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase on November 20, 2012.

This is a World of Warcraft book, so I wrote this review assuming that you have some knowledge of Azeroth and the general timeline of the Cataclysm expansion. If you don’t, this book is probably not for you, but the earlier WoW books may help you to catch up.

After the Shattering of Azeroth by the evil dragon Deathwing, the elements are in turmoil. A group of Earthen Ring Shaman, Thrall among them, are at the Maelstrom trying to
¤Leila | The Fiction Pixie¤
Christie Golden is an extremely talented fantasy author. In this installment of World of Warcraft supplements, we are on the journey of one of Azeroth's most iconic characters, Thrall. As a character that is rich in lore, this book was an integral part of the Cataclysm and the events that followed her book, The Shattering.

Unlike so many of her other books, I found that this was incredibly slow paced and wasn't as gripping as I know that it could have been. This was due in part because of the st
Anna
Nov 10, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christie Golden succeeds once again in bringing the world of Azeroth to life in her novelisation of the Hour of Twilight arc in the World of Warcraft lore.

This story focuses on the difficult chapter in the history of the Dragon Aspects and their ultimate battle with one of Deathwing's most despicable abominations, the five-headed dragon Chromatus, created solely to destroy the remaining Aspects and bring about the order of the unnatural Twilight dragons.

This story is set just after the prelude t
David
Jan 18, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story all in all. It's clear that Christie Golden holds the character of Thrall in high regard,and because of this she writes about him well. There were parts early on that helped me learn more about Thrall by answering some questions I had about where he came from and how he became the war-chief of the horde. The cool part is that there are connections to other books that will help answer OTHER questions I have, so there is incentive to read more about that awesome game.

I do have a gr
Charles
Oct 12, 2012 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christie Golden proves again her mastery of solid Warcraft storytelling. While the novel is short and sparse, it feels good to once again wander across the face of Azeroth with Thrall, former warchief of the Horde and now a shaman seeking to heal the world's wounds suffered during the Cataclysm.

I cannot recommend this novel to anyone unfamiliar with Warcraft lore. Where one of Thrall's previous headlining novels, Lord of the Clans, could be enjoyed by anyone not familiar with Warcraft, this nov
Jeremy
Mar 29, 2011 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Warcraft Universe
I go into this review with an admission... Thrall is not my favorite Warcraft Universe character. A book centered around him did not strike me as an interesting read, and my first notion was to skip it. But when I learned that in addition to being Thrall-centric it also covered important elements concerning the Dragon Aspects, as well as the ongoing struggles with the Twilight's Hammer, I felt compelled to take it up and give it a thorough read-through.

The result: perhaps an understandably mixed
Timothy
Aug 11, 2011 Timothy rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this bit of fluff, being an avid WoW player. I have read all of the WoW books and Golden is one of the better writers. Knowing the lore of the vast world of Azeroth makes the story lines of playing the game so much more enjoyable. Understanding why characters do what they do is infinitely more rewarding than just hacking and slashing through the myriad of villains in a dungeons and dragons type world. This story of he Orc Thrall and the flights of the world dragons won't disappoint fan ...more
John Carter McKnight
I can't point to anything here I *didn't* like, and there was much that was good: Thrall's journey from Warchief to shaman, several of the dragon characters. But it didn't grip me the way her previous WoW novels have, and I can't really say why.
Keri B.
Nov 12, 2014 Keri B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Håvard Bamle
This book lacks almost every quality of good literature. In terms of lore, the story brings nothing to the development of the character Thrall, nor to the development of the history of Azeroth. In fact, it invents complications only to resolve them half-heartedly, leaving uncountable numbers of unsolved plotholes in their wake. The relationships in this book are superficial and unexplored. The only good thing about this are a few of the insights that are revealed, such as that there is only one ...more
Sarah - Exploring All Genres
Reader Note: I have played World of Warcraft for six and a half out of the eight years the game has been running. The big thing I have loved about the game is the lore and that’s why I go out of my way to read all the books published in this series. I play strictly on the side of the Horde and so I have a definite dislike of the Alliance, but I try to look at the books with a nonjudgmental view in regards to the two factions though my reviews may mention a dislike of this certain character or fa ...more
Abhinav
May 30, 2012 Abhinav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
You can read the full review over at my blog:

When last I was in the WarCraft setting, I’d just finished reading Christie Golden’s excellent The Shattering: Prelude to the Cataclysm. It is the novel that preceded World of WarCraft‘s expansion Cataclysm and set up many of the stories and plots that were later revealed in the game itself. As someone who stopped playing WoW a few months before the expansion, this was an excellent read in part because it allowe
Vicky
Jun 02, 2011 Vicky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WarCraft Lore-Nerds
I've been playing World of Warcraft since shortly after launch and am most definitely a "lore-nerd." It is an vast world with great characters and epic happenings. I read this book because I wanted to read more about the continuing story of Cataclysm that isn't being portrayed in game, however...

Just as I was unimpressed by the writing in The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm, I continue to find Golden's writing juvenile and, in many places, just plain bad. I fail to understand why so many fans p
Sylvia
Jul 29, 2011 Sylvia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Erin Bloom
Toeni
Feb 08, 2015 Toeni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book is very misleading. Being a fan of Thrall, I was excited to jump right in and read more about him. However, after the prologue, there is never a mention of him again through the rest of the story. Instead the main characters are Kalec, Jaina, and the four Aspects.
Unwillingly using a mysterious artifact, Kalec's mind goes back in time to before there was the Four Aspects. Riding piggy back with Malygos, Kalec learns more about the ancestors of dragon- the protodragons- and
William Bentrim
Thrall Twilight Of The Aspects by Christie Golden

This is another World of Warcraft novels. This time Thrall the Orc is questing for the lands of Azeroth and specifically for the green Dragon Aspect, Ysera.

Somehow I think books should come first and then the game but in the real world to get young boys to read you do what you can. If this series encourages boys to read then it is well worth the effort.

Never having played World of WarCraft I feel like I am at a serious disadvantage in reading th
Krysztina
Nov 07, 2016 Krysztina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warcraft, fantasy
(Spoilers throughout. Don't read if you haven't finished the book.)

I didn't enjoy this book as much as Golden's other WoW novels. To start with, it left me with more questions than answers - for instance, how did a certain human and one of the best blue dragons in the game suddenly turn to the Dark Side Twilight's Hammer and why do they want to watch the world burn? When did Thrall regress from the reasonable, level-headed guy who's always keen to hear everyone out to teenage-grade angst and moo
Mostafa
Jun 08, 2012 Mostafa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Thrall could not concentrate on his task beside his shaman friends in Maelstrom, so accepted Ysera's offer to find Nozdormu, the timeless Bronze dragon, and then tried to calm down alexstrasza, the life binder after loss of Kerasus, assuming his betrayal, and also help Blue dragons to replace their aspect (Malygos died in battle with other dragons, because he went crazy and decided to kill all alive being) and finally unite all dragon-flights against the twilight dragons and win the war.

He manag
Selphyne Brannon
Consistent Lore Craft

The elements have raged and tear the world asunder with their fear. Shamans, closest to Azeroth and its elements lack the full potential of cooperation needed to mend and strengthen the fragility, because one core member, Thrall, is trapped by his inner demons. A quest is given in a time of need and utter confusion, leading him to the insight and depth of understanding that was needed to center him all along.
His quest is given from the dragon aspects who depend on him far
Светослав Александров
Concerning the time fiction genre... There are a few simple rules to follow:

1. Don't do time travel if you don't know what you're doing
2. Keep in mind there are very few well-written time travel books.
3. If you are a successful writer and you have some doubts that you won't be able to write a time travel novel - don't do it.
4. If you are a successful writer, a time travel book could be a certain way to fail.
5. It would be better not to do time travel at all.

Time fiction is a very specific and
Dömösi Gábor
Feb 28, 2012 Dömösi Gábor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant first half and a simple second half, which is way too overemotional. Characters are changed and not necessarily for the better: Thrall completely gives up what makes him an orc, I expected the antagonists to become more than just pure evil, and the solution for the twilight situation is ridiculously simple. On the other hand, we have the amazing first two-third of the novel with spiritual struggles, developing characters, and plot twist at the end of every single chapter (my favourit ...more
Amy
Sep 14, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, warcraft
Sometimes I wonder how these World of Warcraft books would hold up if I wasn't already so invested in the lore due to playing the game so much. The story is a bit contrived at times, but that's easy to overlook when you enjoy learning more about what is going on in the world where your game character lives.

It's no secret that Chris Metzen is in love with Thrall, and this entire expansion is basically "Thrall's Time to Shine"... so of course he's going to be very prominent in the books dealing wi
Như Lê
Oct 12, 2016 Như Lê rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book during my first month in Canada and honestly saying, still being captivated by Christine's brilliant way of telling the story.

Thrall, still struggling with who he was and his duties to both the Horde and the Ring, was called by Ysera to solve the conflicts of the Aspects as the Twilight Hour was coming.

It's so sad to me to eventually stumble into Korialstraza's honor death since I really really love this heartful dragon from the first time I knew him in The days of the dra
Theresa
Nov 02, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Wow I was upset at the beginning of this book. How do you kill off _____???? How dare they!! And do it like a blip? Like a nothing? I know that Christie Golden did it for dramatic effect, but that was low.

And then having Thrall go through a time slip and see other times that have been or are parallel to our world was just cruel. I threw this book more times than I care to admit. This story was messing with everything I hold dear.

Then Kalec came into the story and at that point on I was absorbed
Erik
Oct 03, 2011 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I generally avoid tie-in books, finding them shallow and unsatisfying. I've made an exception for World of Warcraft novels because the game's lore really is quite textured and easily supports the few novels that have been written.
This was not Golden's best novel. I enjoyed both Lord of the Clans and The Shattering more. It was, however, a satisfying continuation of her exploration of the character Thrall, orc shaman and former Warchief of the Horde.
While dialog is not Golden's long suit, hers i
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn
More about Christie Golden...

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of WarCraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)

“You were given a gift. You were given the chance to see who you were, to learn from mistakes, and to change and grow. Few are granted such insight.” 6 likes
“Simple' does not mean 'easy'. I have learned that the things that seem the simplest are often the most powerful of all.” 6 likes