Start by marking “My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
My Family Table is rooted in the American kitchen, reconnecting folks with 130 recipes for roasting, braising, frying, baking and all the other easy skills take-out readers have forgotten or never learned.
Published November 1st 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Family Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Family Table

Shannon
Nov 13, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, net-galley
There were lots of recipes that I wanted to try right away. Aside from the roasts, most of the recipes did not take that much time, didn't have too many ingredients, and were not difficult to make. I always appreciate pictures of the food in cookbooks so I know what I'm making and what it's supposed to look like. The photos of the children in the book make the book seem homey, inviting and very personal.

I needed size of dishes/pans for certain recipes. The blueberry cobbler calls for a "small di
Julie Davis
Feb 17, 2012 Julie Davis rated it liked it
I requested this from the library after hearing The Catholic Foodie talk about it with great enthusiasm. To be sure, Jeff Young is generally enthusiastic, but I'm always up for a book that encourages people to cook with their families on a regular basis, usually with basic recipes that can be adapted.

This book is all that with gorgeous photography added. Although not as long and more oriented to New Orleans style cooking, this book really reminded me of Julia Child's The Way to Cook. Both have a
Heather
Aug 18, 2014 Heather rated it it was ok
Not as good as My New Orleans: The Cookbook. While I liked the concept (I haven't seen many family cookbooks from chefs), nothing really caught my eye.
Edamommy
Oct 12, 2011 Edamommy rated it it was amazing
KIWI Magazine Review:

Most of us are so harried with kids, work, and all demands that cracking open a cookbook, let alone reading one, is impossible. Well, consider this gorgeous book your new bedside best friend. The photos are gorgeous and the stories behind the food read like a great novel. The stories are interesting and the food ranges from basics to accessible exotic. I can't completely agree with the section for weeknight meals for kids, but with some alterations, there are some great sugg
Jess
May 06, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: baking, food-chef, cooking
Well-written, nice Southern recipes, but unlikely to use many of them.
Dana
Jul 06, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-cookbooks
I really love this book! Chef Besh describes in practical detail how a family can take the time to enjoy healthy, delicious meals together as well as on the go for those wild n crazy nights spent running amok. He talks about functional tips that any home cook can adapt to suit family life. The family table can be enjoyed and honored, regardless of your unique schedule...maybe not every night or every morning, but with a few well laid plans, good food and family go hand in hand.

Susan
I will come back to this for the recipe on pan-fried grouper alone. A big handsome cookbook with lots of good talking, photos, and recipes, my favorite kind of cookbook. Unfortunately it is nearly New Year's Eve and the last thing I need to look at is a book of enticing recipes. Now is the time to be strong-minded and diet-aware. Besh's cookbook, I will find you again in summer, hopefully thinner and ready for some Lousiana style fried chicken :)
Sheri
Feb 22, 2012 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Delicious, scrumptious recipes - Gregg and I have loved everyone we've tried. I'm especially partial to the waffle/pancake recipe with browned butter & vanilla - wish it was time for breakfast now. And a beautiful story within the cookbook - I might have to buy this one! And I'm not a chef nor lover of cooking but these were wholesome and make you feel good about cooking.

Definitely a keeper.
Experience Life
John Besh’s new book brims with soul-satisfying recipes and practical know-how for busy families. But what shines brightest is Besh’s heartfelt exploration of home cooking as a transformative act — one that can turn your kitchen into a place for spontaneity, intimacy and fun.
Dottie Suggs
Loved this book. the format is well organized and the recipes are doable. It is a wonderful approach to the act of cooking and sharing in a family. the photos of John and his boys are very nice. i have cooked several things as I was reading through this cookbook.
William
Sep 18, 2013 William rated it liked it
Books has an interesting set of basic recipes that are flexible, although I'm not sure they are the best. I love the idea that the book presents. Recently dined at his restaurant in San Antonio, very enjoyable.
Nicole
Sep 28, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Love this cookbook - it's a great resource for what to do with leftovers and how to stock a kitchen so that you can almost always throw together a delicious meal.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Nov 30, 2011 Natashya KitchenPuppies rated it it was amazing
A lovely coffee-table style cookbook and more intimate look at John Besh and his family.
Lots of family-friendly recipes and photos.
Ldrhc
Apr 09, 2012 Ldrhc rated it really liked it
Can't wait to implement some of these recipes. My family really needs more time at the table with our busy lives.

Love it!
Heather
Jul 31, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
1 part down home cooking 1 part elite chef and 1 part recipes that have been passed down over the ages.
Sharra Badgley
Mar 23, 2013 Sharra Badgley rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite cookbook! It is filled with delightful recipes and gorgeous photography.
Susan
Aug 01, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Really enjoyed reading this cookbook....eye candy photos...great recipes....
Carolyn
One whole chapter on fried foods. That's what I'm talkin' about!
Duncan Mchale
This is a fine book, but I already know most of this stuff.
eric
Apr 03, 2012 eric rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended! Kindle version well formatted for kitchen use.
Ronald Rich
Dec 18, 2012 Ronald Rich rated it really liked it
Beautiful book - great recipes
Tim Wolfson
Tim Wolfson rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Michelle Snow
Michelle Snow marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Cynthia Nobles
Cynthia Nobles rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Michele Crowley
Michele Crowley rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Mourad: New Moroccan
  • The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens
  • Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
  • A New Turn in the South: Southern Flavors Reinvented for Your Kitchen
  • Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • Buvette: The Pleasure of Good Food
  • Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes
  • Farm to Fork: Cooking Local, Cooking Fresh
  • The Gift of Southern Cooking: Recipes and Revelations from Two Great American Cooks
  • Momofuku Milk Bar
  • The Breakfast Book
John Besh is the acclaimed chef committed to "bringing back" New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Besh grew up in Southern Louisiana and graduated from The Culinary Institute of America. Food & Wine named him one of the Top 10 Best New Chefs in America in 1999. His passion for food and New Orleans is always simmering.

Besh owns and operates New Orleans restaurants: August, his downtown flagship