Start by marking “My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  22 reviews
My Family Table is rooted in the American kitchen, reconnecting folks with 130 recipes for roasting, braising, frying, baking and all the other easy skills take-out readers have forgotten or never learned.
Published November 1st 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Family Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Family Table

There were lots of recipes that I wanted to try right away. Aside from the roasts, most of the recipes did not take that much time, didn't have too many ingredients, and were not difficult to make. I always appreciate pictures of the food in cookbooks so I know what I'm making and what it's supposed to look like. The photos of the children in the book make the book seem homey, inviting and very personal.

I needed size of dishes/pans for certain recipes. The blueberry cobbler calls for a "small di
Julie Davis
I requested this from the library after hearing The Catholic Foodie talk about it with great enthusiasm. To be sure, Jeff Young is generally enthusiastic, but I'm always up for a book that encourages people to cook with their families on a regular basis, usually with basic recipes that can be adapted.

This book is all that with gorgeous photography added. Although not as long and more oriented to New Orleans style cooking, this book really reminded me of Julia Child's The Way to Cook. Both have a
Not as good as My New Orleans: The Cookbook. While I liked the concept (I haven't seen many family cookbooks from chefs), nothing really caught my eye.
KIWI Magazine Review:

Most of us are so harried with kids, work, and all demands that cracking open a cookbook, let alone reading one, is impossible. Well, consider this gorgeous book your new bedside best friend. The photos are gorgeous and the stories behind the food read like a great novel. The stories are interesting and the food ranges from basics to accessible exotic. I can't completely agree with the section for weeknight meals for kids, but with some alterations, there are some great sugg
Well-written, nice Southern recipes, but unlikely to use many of them.
I really love this book! Chef Besh describes in practical detail how a family can take the time to enjoy healthy, delicious meals together as well as on the go for those wild n crazy nights spent running amok. He talks about functional tips that any home cook can adapt to suit family life. The family table can be enjoyed and honored, regardless of your unique schedule...maybe not every night or every morning, but with a few well laid plans, good food and family go hand in hand.

I will come back to this for the recipe on pan-fried grouper alone. A big handsome cookbook with lots of good talking, photos, and recipes, my favorite kind of cookbook. Unfortunately it is nearly New Year's Eve and the last thing I need to look at is a book of enticing recipes. Now is the time to be strong-minded and diet-aware. Besh's cookbook, I will find you again in summer, hopefully thinner and ready for some Lousiana style fried chicken :)
Delicious, scrumptious recipes - Gregg and I have loved everyone we've tried. I'm especially partial to the waffle/pancake recipe with browned butter & vanilla - wish it was time for breakfast now. And a beautiful story within the cookbook - I might have to buy this one! And I'm not a chef nor lover of cooking but these were wholesome and make you feel good about cooking.

Definitely a keeper.
Experience Life
John Besh’s new book brims with soul-satisfying recipes and practical know-how for busy families. But what shines brightest is Besh’s heartfelt exploration of home cooking as a transformative act — one that can turn your kitchen into a place for spontaneity, intimacy and fun.
Dottie Suggs
Loved this book. the format is well organized and the recipes are doable. It is a wonderful approach to the act of cooking and sharing in a family. the photos of John and his boys are very nice. i have cooked several things as I was reading through this cookbook.
Books has an interesting set of basic recipes that are flexible, although I'm not sure they are the best. I love the idea that the book presents. Recently dined at his restaurant in San Antonio, very enjoyable.
Love this cookbook - it's a great resource for what to do with leftovers and how to stock a kitchen so that you can almost always throw together a delicious meal.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
A lovely coffee-table style cookbook and more intimate look at John Besh and his family.
Lots of family-friendly recipes and photos.
Can't wait to implement some of these recipes. My family really needs more time at the table with our busy lives.

Love it!
1 part down home cooking 1 part elite chef and 1 part recipes that have been passed down over the ages.
Sharra Badgley
This is my new favorite cookbook! It is filled with delightful recipes and gorgeous photography.
Really enjoyed reading this cookbook....eye candy photos...great recipes....
One whole chapter on fried foods. That's what I'm talkin' about!
Duncan Mchale
This is a fine book, but I already know most of this stuff.
Highly recommended! Kindle version well formatted for kitchen use.
Ronald Rich
Beautiful book - great recipes
Rex Ross
Rex Ross marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • Fresh Happy Tasty: An Adventure in 100 Recipes
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • The Italian Baker
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
  • Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen
John Besh is the acclaimed chef committed to "bringing back" New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Besh grew up in Southern Louisiana and graduated from The Culinary Institute of America. Food & Wine named him one of the Top 10 Best New Chefs in America in 1999. His passion for food and New Orleans is always simmering.

Besh owns and operates New Orleans restaurants: August, his downtown flagship
More about John Besh...
My New Orleans: The Cookbook Cooking from the Heart: My Favorite Lessons Learned Along the Way Besh Big Easy: 101 Home Cooked New Orleans Recipes Military High Life: Elegant Food Histories and Recipes Besh Big Easy: 101 Home-Cooked New Orleans Recipes: 101 Home-Cooked New Orleans Recipes