Start by marking “My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking” as Want to Read:
My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

My Family Table is rooted in the American kitchen, reconnecting folks with 130 recipes for roasting, braising, frying, baking and all the other easy skills take-out readers have forgotten or never learned.
Published November 1st 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Family Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Family Table

Beret
Nov 25, 2016 Beret rated it liked it
I was excited. But there was just too much, too many recipes filled with things my family wouldn't eat, and ingredients that I can't afford to get
Shannon
Nov 13, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, net-galley
There were lots of recipes that I wanted to try right away. Aside from the roasts, most of the recipes did not take that much time, didn't have too many ingredients, and were not difficult to make. I always appreciate pictures of the food in cookbooks so I know what I'm making and what it's supposed to look like. The photos of the children in the book make the book seem homey, inviting and very personal.

I needed size of dishes/pans for certain recipes. The blueberry cobbler calls for a "small di
Julie Davis
Feb 17, 2012 Julie Davis rated it liked it
I requested this from the library after hearing The Catholic Foodie talk about it with great enthusiasm. To be sure, Jeff Young is generally enthusiastic, but I'm always up for a book that encourages people to cook with their families on a regular basis, usually with basic recipes that can be adapted.

This book is all that with gorgeous photography added. Although not as long and more oriented to New Orleans style cooking, this book really reminded me of Julia Child's The Way to Cook. Both have a
Edamommy
Oct 12, 2011 Edamommy rated it it was amazing
KIWI Magazine Review:

Most of us are so harried with kids, work, and all demands that cracking open a cookbook, let alone reading one, is impossible. Well, consider this gorgeous book your new bedside best friend. The photos are gorgeous and the stories behind the food read like a great novel. The stories are interesting and the food ranges from basics to accessible exotic. I can't completely agree with the section for weeknight meals for kids, but with some alterations, there are some great sugg
Dana
Jul 06, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-cookbooks
I really love this book! Chef Besh describes in practical detail how a family can take the time to enjoy healthy, delicious meals together as well as on the go for those wild n crazy nights spent running amok. He talks about functional tips that any home cook can adapt to suit family life. The family table can be enjoyed and honored, regardless of your unique schedule...maybe not every night or every morning, but with a few well laid plans, good food and family go hand in hand.

Sheri
Feb 22, 2012 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Delicious, scrumptious recipes - Gregg and I have loved everyone we've tried. I'm especially partial to the waffle/pancake recipe with browned butter & vanilla - wish it was time for breakfast now. And a beautiful story within the cookbook - I might have to buy this one! And I'm not a chef nor lover of cooking but these were wholesome and make you feel good about cooking.

Definitely a keeper.
Susan
I will come back to this for the recipe on pan-fried grouper alone. A big handsome cookbook with lots of good talking, photos, and recipes, my favorite kind of cookbook. Unfortunately it is nearly New Year's Eve and the last thing I need to look at is a book of enticing recipes. Now is the time to be strong-minded and diet-aware. Besh's cookbook, I will find you again in summer, hopefully thinner and ready for some Lousiana style fried chicken :)
Megan
Aug 18, 2014 Megan rated it it was ok
Not as good as My New Orleans: The Cookbook. While I liked the concept (I haven't seen many family cookbooks from chefs), nothing really caught my eye.
Experience Life
John Besh’s new book brims with soul-satisfying recipes and practical know-how for busy families. But what shines brightest is Besh’s heartfelt exploration of home cooking as a transformative act — one that can turn your kitchen into a place for spontaneity, intimacy and fun.
William
Sep 18, 2013 William rated it liked it
Books has an interesting set of basic recipes that are flexible, although I'm not sure they are the best. I love the idea that the book presents. Recently dined at his restaurant in San Antonio, very enjoyable.
Dottie Suggs
Loved this book. the format is well organized and the recipes are doable. It is a wonderful approach to the act of cooking and sharing in a family. the photos of John and his boys are very nice. i have cooked several things as I was reading through this cookbook.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
Nov 30, 2011 Natashya KitchenPuppies rated it it was amazing
A lovely coffee-table style cookbook and more intimate look at John Besh and his family.
Lots of family-friendly recipes and photos.
Heather
Jul 31, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it
1 part down home cooking 1 part elite chef and 1 part recipes that have been passed down over the ages.
Nicole
Sep 28, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Love this cookbook - it's a great resource for what to do with leftovers and how to stock a kitchen so that you can almost always throw together a delicious meal.
Ldrhc
Apr 09, 2012 Ldrhc rated it really liked it
Can't wait to implement some of these recipes. My family really needs more time at the table with our busy lives.

Love it!
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Jennifer Quinn
Jennifer Quinn rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Nan M
Nan M rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Angela Donaldson
Angela Donaldson rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Brennan Breeland
Brennan Breeland rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Noreen O'Connor
Noreen O'Connor rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Rebeccaa
Rebeccaa rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Roger Sherman
Roger Sherman rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Matt Gallery
Matt Gallery rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Sharra Badgley
Mar 23, 2013 Sharra Badgley rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite cookbook! It is filled with delightful recipes and gorgeous photography.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Fresh Happy Tasty: An Adventure in 100 Recipes
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • The Italian Baker
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • The Italian Country Table: Home Cooking from Italy's Farmhouse Kitchens
  • Mourad: New Moroccan
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • Frank Stitt's Southern Table: Recipes and Gracious Traditions from Highlands Bar and Grill
  • Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes
  • Avec Eric: A Culinary Journey with Eric Ripert
  • Farm to Fork: Cooking Local, Cooking Fresh
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Buvette: The Pleasure of Good Food
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • The Gift of Southern Cooking: Recipes and Revelations from Two Great American Cooks
  • The Breakfast Book
  • A Boat, a Whale & a Walrus: Menus and Stories
  • Essential Pepin: More Than 700 All-Time Favorites from My Life in Food
John Besh is the acclaimed chef committed to "bringing back" New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Besh grew up in Southern Louisiana and graduated from The Culinary Institute of America. Food & Wine named him one of the Top 10 Best New Chefs in America in 1999. His passion for food and New Orleans is always simmering.

Besh owns and operates New Orleans restaurants: August, his downtown flagship