My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  20 reviews
My Family Table is rooted in the American kitchen, reconnecting folks with 130 recipes for roasting, braising, frying, baking and all the other easy skills take-out readers have forgotten or never learned.
Published November 1st 2011 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Family Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Family Table

My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by Carl TremblayThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Awesome Cookbooks!
95th out of 148 books — 70 voters
Everyday Italian by Giada De LaurentiisGiada's Kitchen by Giada De LaurentiisMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildGordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course by Gordon Ramsay30-Minute Meals 2 by Rachael Ray
Cookbooks as seen on Television
47th out of 63 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Shannon
There were lots of recipes that I wanted to try right away. Aside from the roasts, most of the recipes did not take that much time, didn't have too many ingredients, and were not difficult to make. I always appreciate pictures of the food in cookbooks so I know what I'm making and what it's supposed to look like. The photos of the children in the book make the book seem homey, inviting and very personal.

I needed size of dishes/pans for certain recipes. The blueberry cobbler calls for a "small di...more
Julie Davis
I requested this from the library after hearing The Catholic Foodie talk about it with great enthusiasm. To be sure, Jeff Young is generally enthusiastic, but I'm always up for a book that encourages people to cook with their families on a regular basis, usually with basic recipes that can be adapted.

This book is all that with gorgeous photography added. Although not as long and more oriented to New Orleans style cooking, this book really reminded me of Julia Child's The Way to Cook. Both have a...more
Heather
Not as good as My New Orleans: The Cookbook. While I liked the concept (I haven't seen many family cookbooks from chefs), nothing really caught my eye.
Edamommy
KIWI Magazine Review:

Most of us are so harried with kids, work, and all demands that cracking open a cookbook, let alone reading one, is impossible. Well, consider this gorgeous book your new bedside best friend. The photos are gorgeous and the stories behind the food read like a great novel. The stories are interesting and the food ranges from basics to accessible exotic. I can't completely agree with the section for weeknight meals for kids, but with some alterations, there are some great sugg...more
Dana B
I really love this book! Chef Besh describes in practical detail how a family can take the time to enjoy healthy, delicious meals together as well as on the go for those wild n crazy nights spent running amok. He talks about functional tips that any home cook can adapt to suit family life. The family table can be enjoyed and honored, regardless of your unique schedule...maybe not every night or every morning, but with a few well laid plans, good food and family go hand in hand.

Susan
I will come back to this for the recipe on pan-fried grouper alone. A big handsome cookbook with lots of good talking, photos, and recipes, my favorite kind of cookbook. Unfortunately it is nearly New Year's Eve and the last thing I need to look at is a book of enticing recipes. Now is the time to be strong-minded and diet-aware. Besh's cookbook, I will find you again in summer, hopefully thinner and ready for some Lousiana style fried chicken :)
Sheri
Delicious, scrumptious recipes - Gregg and I have loved everyone we've tried. I'm especially partial to the waffle/pancake recipe with browned butter & vanilla - wish it was time for breakfast now. And a beautiful story within the cookbook - I might have to buy this one! And I'm not a chef nor lover of cooking but these were wholesome and make you feel good about cooking.

Definitely a keeper.
Experience Life
John Besh’s new book brims with soul-satisfying recipes and practical know-how for busy families. But what shines brightest is Besh’s heartfelt exploration of home cooking as a transformative act — one that can turn your kitchen into a place for spontaneity, intimacy and fun.
William
Books has an interesting set of basic recipes that are flexible, although I'm not sure they are the best. I love the idea that the book presents. Recently dined at his restaurant in San Antonio, very enjoyable.
Nicole
Love this cookbook - it's a great resource for what to do with leftovers and how to stock a kitchen so that you can almost always throw together a delicious meal.
Natashya KitchenPuppies
A lovely coffee-table style cookbook and more intimate look at John Besh and his family.
Lots of family-friendly recipes and photos.
Ldrhc
Can't wait to implement some of these recipes. My family really needs more time at the table with our busy lives.

Love it!
Heather
1 part down home cooking 1 part elite chef and 1 part recipes that have been passed down over the ages.
Sharra Badgley
This is my new favorite cookbook! It is filled with delightful recipes and gorgeous photography.
Susan
Really enjoyed reading this cookbook....eye candy photos...great recipes....
Carolyn
One whole chapter on fried foods. That's what I'm talkin' about!
Duncan Mchale
This is a fine book, but I already know most of this stuff.
eric
Highly recommended! Kindle version well formatted for kitchen use.
Ronald Rich
Beautiful book - great recipes
Elizabeth Skylar
Elizabeth Skylar is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John Besh is the acclaimed chef committed to "bringing back" New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Besh grew up in Southern Louisiana and graduated from The Culinary Institute of America. Food & Wine named him one of the Top 10 Best New Chefs in America in 1999. His passion for food and New Orleans is always simmering.

Besh owns and operates New Orleans restaurants: August, his downtown flagship...more
More about John Besh...
My New Orleans: The Cookbook Cooking from the Heart: My Favorite Lessons Learned Along the Way My New Orleans My Family Table Cooking from the Heart