Start by marking “Sam” as Want to Read:

Sam (Charly #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  3,807 ratings  ·  120 reviews
Those who read Charly will definitely want to read this novel and find out what happens to Sam, Charly's husband. How does he cope with being a single father? How does he come to terms with re-entry into the single life pressures of family and church? Find out in this gripping novel.
Published June 1st 1987 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam

Stephanne Stacey
Less enchanted with this book as I was with Charly. I don't think the message was as powerful only because Jack's fan base is more feminine than masculine and the message is designed for male domination pride. Yes, there is the message for the female and the modern day acceptance that she can also be a successful member of the working community, but I didn't feel that the focus was as much there as with the first message.

The other reason I was so disenchanted was that Mr. Weyland's ability to d
I don't really know that much of what's going on, but it's the sequil to charly by jack weyland, and in this book, his parents are trying to find him a new wife, and he doesn't seem at all interested until he meets this really nice girl. He has a six month year old son named adam (I think). I haven't finished reading it so I don't know much about it. But that's why I am reading it, so I can learn about it. But I can tell you I im really interested in it.
This book was almost unbearable. It is so chauvinistic that it is on equal footing with Helen Andelin's "Fascinating Womanhood." I would give examples, but really, it's on nearly every page. I may have given the book 5 stars if he had died in the end. ;)
In the book Sam its about a father named Sam and his little boy named Adam. Sam's wife died and he doesn't know if he should remarry or not. He trys to find his answer. He felt that he can remarry but Charly his wife that died, would have to approve. At first he trys to find someone that is just like Charly. After time went on he decided his new wife didn't need to be just like Charly.
When he starts dating he had some problems finding out what he wanted his new wife to be like. He really wanted
I read this book as a teenager in the 70's. This is my first re-read. Thirty-five years have made a BIG difference in the LDS conversation about a woman's role in marriage. Yikes!

I was turned off by Sam's difficulties dating a girl who might be smarter than him, then earned more money than him. But I had an even more difficult time stomaching the 'husband ruling over the wife,' 'the wife follows her husband (rather than having her own relationship with God),' and the 'husband presides as the pr
After the death of his wife Charly, Sam is trying to find out what is next with his life. He sruggled to find love again. With a 2 year old son he thinks that he will never find love. He was called to be on the young single adult committe. He soon came to love this calling. They started to do a clown act for all the childern in the hospital. He loved doing that. One night he was off the a young single adult meeting. When he got there he saw a new person. Her name was Lara. During the meeting Lar ...more
Olivia Parsons
This book was extremely lame compared to Charly. Although I like a lot of the meanings behind Jack Weyland's book, I find his writing style to be poor and rather boring, even more so in Sam. Sam was such a big jerk in this particular novel and bothered me a lot through out the book, as he also did in the first novel. Although I understand that he is bitter after Charly's death, I think it was a bit unrealistic for him to blatantly say rude things to some of the women he dated, in search of a wif ...more
After losing his wife Charley to death. Sam is left with his little son Adam. Adam needs a mom and Sam wants to remarry but does not know at the same time and that chary will approve of he is put in the single adults and find the one Lara.
I thought it was a good book it go with Charley I really liked Charley and so this was good liked it because it was happy but at the same time a sad book, it made me happy that he still loves Charley and that he found someone else, but it make me sad that he re
Melanie Cannon
This is the second book of the series -- and for many years the final part of the story. It was the "happy ending," that came after the tragedy of the first book. Everything tied up all nice and neat .. probably too neat which is why Mr. Weyland revisited the series recently with the final book in the now 3-book series. I think now that I'm not 16 it rings way too neat and tidy. There is always collateral damage when someone dies -- especially a parent. I'm glad Mr. Weyland revisited the series ...more
I thought this was the last book in the series... I'm so glad it's not. I need to read the others!
This is, categorically, the stupidest book I have ever read.
I still thought this was a decent book but after Charly, it was really hard to get into it. I immediately fell in love with Charly and loved all of her antics. Lara was a complete opposite and Sam couldn't seem to get it together in this book so that was a little frustrating. Can't say it's not what I wouldn't do if I lost my spouse but it was too much back and forth emotionally for me. Will still read other Jack Weyland books though.
Re-read this after 25 years. Still a wonderful story with a nice ending. It's a little hard at times to determine if the characters are serious or teasing in their conversations with each other, but truly a "feel good" book with some fun twists. Of course, one can't read this until you've read Charly, but neither book is long or difficult reading, so there's no excuse to not give it a try.
Similar book to Charly. It is the continuing story. It was good book but once again very light and cheezy. I wish Sam would have talked more about raising his little boy all by himself. I felt like the little boy was not very much of the conversation. But I liked the love story. Sam finds someone very different than Charly, perfectionist, organized, healthy eater etc.

Apr 01, 2008 Annette rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
I didn't like this one as well as I liked Charly. Mostly because I didn't feel like Sam was a very good father. At one point in the book I felt like he was almost abusive. I guess that part in the book was supposed to be funny and maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but I thought that Mr. Weyland had taken it just a little to far in this one.
Nice sequel to Charly. A book about second chances and just moving forward when life has let you down. The subject matter was heavy, but the dialog was mostly light and witty. I loved Sam and could always see where he was coming from. It's always fun for me to read a book with love as a main component that's been written by a man. It's so enlightening...
I felt the same way about this book as I did the first. Very short, underdeveloped, and I still think the main character had some sort of a mental issue. Sam was much stranger in this book than he was in the first. I understand that Charlie's death has taken a toll on him, but he just went off the deep end of craziness.
This book is a wonderful novel of a widowed fathers life... Jack Weyland keeps your interest by adding twists and turns to the story... even a new girl... but she could never replace charlie... could she? Find out!!!
WARNING: i thought that it would be fairly lond and was dissapointed when it was nearly one hundred pages. ugh
Chelsea Peters
There was a lot of grinning going on while reading this one. No tears. Heart-warming and fun. Also a fast read.
At first I could not reconcile myself to liking the first part of this book. I was still of the mindset of the "one and only" and how could he betray Charly's memory by going for another woman? This book helped me learn many things and I came to an understanding and an agreement.
A continuation of Charlie. I love this author. He draws you into the story, you feel the characters' heartache and struggle with common adult themes. The stories are always clean, uplifting, but there are obstacles to is like a bowl of chocolates, kind of thing.
Apr 09, 2008 Heidi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
I love Jack Weyland, but this book was definitely a hard follow-up to Charly. It's just hard to imagine Sam with anyone else! Still, it was entertaining and a good portrayal of what someone must go through to learn to love again and then make a second marriage work.
It was really good and i liked it but it was say because Charly and Lara are so different. It doesn't really mention Adam enough to know how he feels, even though he's a todler.

I really liked it but i liked Charly better.
Oh my gosh! This book was great! It is a must read for those who want to find out what happened to Sam. Read it! It was a great book. I also cried during this book. It is an easy read, so be prepared to stay up all night.
This book is the second book in the charlie series. In this book Sam moves on and he meets people I can't really tell more than that because it will give the first book (Charlie) away. Read Charlie and then read sam.
  • Ariana: A Glimpse of Eternity (Ariana, #4)
  • Charlie's Monument
  • First Love, Second Chances (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #5)
  • Troubled Waters (Hearts of the Children, #2)
  • The Golden Crown (Tennis Shoes, #7)
  • Thy Gold to Refine (The Work and the Glory, #4)
Jack Weyland is the best-selling author of young-adult fiction for the Latter-day Saint market. In fact, the modern genre of Latter-day Saint-themed popular fiction is one he is largely responsible for creating with his overwhelmingly popular novel Charly. His interest in fiction began with a correspondence course in creative writing taken during a summer at BYU where he was doing research work. S ...more
More about Jack Weyland...

Charly (4 books)