Start by marking “Supersonic Saints: Thrilling Stories from LDS Pilots” as Want to Read:
Supersonic Saints: Thrilling Stories from LDS Pilots

Supersonic Saints: Thrilling Stories from LDS Pilots

Riveting and faith-promoting, Supersonic Saints is a collection of more than 15 true stories of LDS pilots who felt the hand of the Lord in their lives when they needed it most. Many of these pilots are still active in the United States Armed Forces. All of them are alive and active members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Published May 17th 2007 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about Supersonic Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Supersonic Saints

Mckell
Feb 16, 2014 Mckell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lds people of all ages
Recommended to Mckell by: mom
This book is a real nail-bitter. While I was reading this it was absolutely impossible to put down. John Bytheway did an excellent job compiling these thrilling stories. I love the way the stories relate into religious principles that people of any age can apply to their daily lives. I enjoyed having my faith strengthened through these uplifting stories. These stories put you in the pilots shoes and make you believe you are there too. The life threatening experiences these amazing men had, are ...more
Paul
Dec 29, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
Great stories from pilots whose experiences of God’s blessings range from combat to training to search-and-rescue missions, these inspirational accounts include some acts of heroism and bravery, and all of them include gratitude to a loving Heavenly Father who was mindful of them in their hours of need.
Abby
Dec 22, 2010 Abby rated it it was ok
It is important to note that this is not a book WRITTEN by John Bytheway, but rather a collection of stories from other people, COMPILED by him. John Bytheway is actually a pretty talented and entertaining author. He also loves planes. So while the individual stories in here are not written amazingly well (IMO), I think he likes them because they are about planes. It's not the worst book ever, but I would personally re-title it "Mildly Interesting Short Stories from LDS Pilots."

Actually, the sto
Jeremy Wiser
May 29, 2012 Jeremy Wiser rated it liked it
Supersonic Saints is a non-fiction book about mormon pilots and their stories. It doesn't have any main characters because it is a book with lots of short stories about LDS pilots and their near-death experiences. It describes them losing friends, nearly crashing, leaps of faith, crazy officers that trained them and other stories like that. It is interesting to learn about events happening to all of these ordinary people with ordinary jobs and lives. It talks about each pilot and what job they ...more
Elisabeth
Feb 06, 2013 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elisabeth by: David Fullmer
I've met at least two of these pilots who contributed a story to this book. The most recent was Gil Bertleson, the SR-71 Blackbird pilot. There is a retired Blackbird at the Hill Air force Base Museum and what a beautiful piece of work that is! It's incredible to pair that with the stories that I've personally heard him tell and the story that is in this book. Fun book for airplane nerds like my Dad and I!
Alison
Feb 09, 2015 Alison rated it liked it
I hijacked this book from my husband to read when I was in between books. Because it is a compilation of short stories, it was perfect to pick up and read whenever! A group of LDS pilots tell their flight stories, mostly during war times and relate it to the gospel. Some authors were better story-tellers than others. But it's a great read for anyone who loves flying.
Ed
Jun 06, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
Easy reading, was able to finish it in a few hours. A number of personal experiences of LDS pilots, mostly consisting of Vietnam war stories but some in the modern era, ie the SR-71 and Space Shuttle. Most of them deal with weather issues. A couple of them brought a tear to my eye, overall a good short read.
Kevin
May 14, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
This is my little boy's book. He got it cause it has a jet on the cover :-). It is a compilation of stories, Mormon pilots (so far all have been American) who had close calls and miracles happen while flying for the military. I read him a chapter each night before going to bed. It has been enjoyable.
Liz
Feb 15, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious-books
A good book for pilots and those who love pilots. :-) I know one of the pilot/authors in this book and it is a really inspirational book. I like to read about men that are able to be righteous while serving their country in the military.
Alyssa
Jul 10, 2011 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Awesome true stories from pilots and even an astronaut that combine their amazing adventures with faith and testimony. I think boys/young men especially would pick this up and love reading it. I learned a lot about flying too! Pretty good combo of action and faith.
Eric
Jan 31, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys 2 of 3: Flight, History, LDS
Shelves: lds-books
Great Book; It has some fascinating stories with a great morale to each story. Each story isn't too long, and the book as a whole is a pretty quick read. It really gives interesting perspectives into flight, history, and the gospel-- Since I like all three, I really enjoyed this book!
Ang
Jan 17, 2010 Ang rated it liked it
The only reason I gave it three stars was because I am not passionate about military life and fighter planes. I like to learn about them, just not my passion. Cool stories--definitely a must read for christian military buffs.
Emilee
May 13, 2008 Emilee rated it liked it
My husband loved this book, one of only six books I could actually get him to read. It was a great compilation of stories showing how men were brought closer to Heavenly Father through their experiences as pilots. I would recommend it to all of my friends.
sMarty
Apr 02, 2009 sMarty rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes thrilling and spiritual stories
This book didn't get good until about the sixth chapter and once it hit that chapter it was a great book. This book had spiritual moments and inspiring moments, and most of the stories were outstanding. This book was very good and I can't wait to read the second.
Karie
May 07, 2012 Karie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military, religion
Loved this book. If you enjoy airplanes and personal stories of faith, mostly during battle, you will love this book. I felt that it further strengthened my gratitude for those who serve our country and the priceless personal faith building experiences were inspiring.
Brian
Mar 21, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Good accounts from LDS pilots throughout several decades of aviation. I enjoyed the book's overview of each aircraft discussed and the highlights of the aviator's career. More detail in several areas would be nice, especially for non-aviators.
Tamdaqueenhotmail.com
True stories from lds pilots. I liked it because the doctrine wasn't over powering but settle enough to know that these men had faith in a supreme being and thanked him for accomplishments or survival.
Eric
Feb 01, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
This was one of the funnest books I have ever read. It is very uplifting to read the stories of these pilots.
Dirkathena
Dec 28, 2008 Dirkathena is currently reading it
It's a good, inspiring book. It's nice to know the Lord takes care of us in all situations we may be in.
Maggie
Jul 08, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it
I saw Craig reading this and picked it up...... now I have to hurry and finish it as my Dad wants to read it.
Claudia
Nov 24, 2008 Claudia rated it liked it
This book made me even more thankful for those who put there life on the line for the freedoms I enjoy. My thanks go out to them!!!!
Jodi
Feb 08, 2009 Jodi rated it liked it
I guess the story about my friend is in the 2nd book... not this one... but this was a very interesting read!
The HR library does have a copy of this now... you should check it out!
Megan
Dec 01, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
My husband love this book! It must be the involvement we have with airplanes. I thought the stories told were very exciting though.
Rozalyn
Jan 21, 2009 Rozalyn rated it really liked it
I bought this book for my husband for Christmas. It's a quick read, but fun and inspiring.
Debbie
Jan 02, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
These were very interesting stories of LDS pilots.
Becci
Jun 01, 2012 Becci rated it really liked it
if you like airplanes and you are LDS, you'd love this book
Cary
Jan 06, 2009 Cary rated it liked it
I am not into supersonic planes but a few of the stories were miraculous.
Austin Skousen
Jun 16, 2007 Austin Skousen rated it it was amazing
This book was great! There are amazing war stories from fighter pilots.
Chad
Nov 28, 2008 Chad rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I listenend to this book on CD, and thought it was great, very entertaining and cool stores
Mckenziefammstar.net
Good stories that remind of the effort and dedication for freedom and the closeness of the Spirit.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
movies: FUll~UK]]~Watch 'Supersonic' 2016 full Movie Online full hd 1 1 Oct 26, 2016 10:45AM
  • Sergeant Nibley PhD: Memories of an Unlikely Screaming Eagle
  • With Full Purpose of Heart
  • Receiving Answers to Our Prayers
  • True to the Faith
  • Discourses of President Gordon B. Hinckley, Vol. 2: 2000-2004 (Hardcover)
  • House of Learning: Getting More from Your Temple Experience
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Stories from the Life of Porter Rockwell
  • What Da Vinci Didn't Know: An LDS Perspective
  • Daughters of God
  • Why?: Powerful Answers and Practical Reasons for Living LDS Standards
  • Three Against Hitler
  • Remembering Joseph: Personal Recollections Of Those Who Knew The Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Frog Trouble: . . . And Eleven Other Pretty Serious Songs
  • God Wants A Powerful People
  • Peculiar in a Good Way
John Bytheway (born October 1962) is an American author and academic, who is well known as a comic motivational speaker for youth within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Born in Salt Lake City, Bytheway attended the University of Utah and Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah, receiving a Master's Degree in Religious Education. He also served as a missionary for the LDS ...more
More about John Bytheway...