The Weir

The Weir

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  299 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Set in a bar in a remote part of Ireland, The Weir tells of a young woman who has a story to frighten the locals out of their lives.
Published October 1st 2001 by Nick Hern Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Weir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weir

Tom Romig
Theater magic! I wanted to see the much praised recent New York production but couldn't make it. Though reading a play is a shadow of a live performance, the power of fine plays comes through nonetheless. This is certainly the case with The Weir. Five people in a remote Irish pub, each with his or her longings, lost chances, cravings for intimacy tell ghostly stories to one another. The four men tell captivating tales, not knowing that they're setting the scene for the woman's sad crushing story...more
Abigail
"And I was properly ashamed of myself. There was a humility I've tried to find since. But goodness wears off. And it just gets easier to be a contrary bollocks" (52).
Teemu
A masterpiece, I've heard. Well, I think it's not. Reminds me a bit of O'Neill's Iceman Cometh in a sense that there's not much happening in the play, just people talking and talking. While the atmosphere is excellent in The Weir, it's a really moody play, drama-wise it's lacking. There's no plot and not that much of a story, either. The one and only point of the play is to show lonely men drinking and telling ghost stories which may or may not somehow describe their situation too.

I have no dou...more
Leslie
This whole play is a conversation among three men and one woman, drinking in a bar in the (very dark, very lonely) Irish countryside. Mostly they tell each other ghost and fairy stories and encourage one another to have "just one more short one."

"Ah, I'll have a small one. Go on."

All of the stories are quite haunting, but it's the final tale that devastates. I won't give anything away (not that it's that kind of play), but I will say that it probably involves the most heart-breaking sandwich in...more
Jon
Great sense of place. The play seems a bit slight in reading, may be heftier in a live production.
Patrick Hadley
Mar 19, 2008 Patrick Hadley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nate
I really enjoyed this play and I'd like to see it performed so that I could get a better sense of how the performance affects the stories. Simply reading it, I got a great sense of the importance of stories and storytelling to humans, and of how one's own experiences influence one's interpretation of the stories which are, in the course of the play, shown to make up the world at large. That's just me, though. I don't much know what I'm talking about. I'd like Nate to read it and give me a better...more
Dennis
Must read: 3
Well-written: 5
Kept Attention: 5
Accessible: 3
Important: 1
Ann
Aug 02, 2011 Ann added it
Loved the pacing, dialogue, & characters. The language moves itself, which is a huge accomplishment. Beautiful voices. The final story, while scary, did not strike me as the being the scariest. The first story told was the one that disturbed me the most. However, as the final story is personal, I liked what happened to the characters once it was shared. Would love to direct this piece, and/or act in it.
Patty Rush
If you ever have a chance to see this play, don't miss it! ITs fantastic in every sense of the word. I re-read and re-read and re-read the copy of the play I purchased in the foyer of the Theatre. Its Wonderful. Surprising. Funny. Tragic. Romantic. Poetic. Magical. Threaded.
Michael Fierce

I would bet anything that this theater play ghost story will be a magnificent, haunting read.

By the same writer who wrote the subtle, captivating film, The Eclipse - a ghost story set in the small seaside town of Cobh, County Cork, Ireland.

Genevieve Heinrich
Delightfully creepy storytelling, but the ending just didn't have the punch that the build-up leads the reader to expect. I love the ambiguity, and the general discomfort of the ending, though. Beautiful writing.
Livinginthecastle
It's probably best to see this performed, as all McPherson plays are best seen, but it's amazing. It's a brilliant, atmospheric story of how ghost stories compare to the real tragedies in life.
Brian
Read this 10 years ago and I fell in love with it, and contemporary Irish theatre. Re-read it for class in September. And now tomorrow I head to a class taught by Conor McPherson. Weird.
Shawn Pudsey
Truly a story that is built from the charaters rather than from a plot. Looking forward to seeing this on stage this fall.
Duncan
The set, the story and the development of the plot are true McPherson. To say more would give too much away.
Phoe
A slice of life in a Irish country pub. Full of drinks and Irish yarns.
Sue
I've also seen this performed in England. It gives me chills!
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Sydney
Sydney added it
Aug 03, 2014
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 26, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • The Sisters Rosensweig
  • Bug
  • Blithe Spirit
The Seafarer The Weir and Other Plays Shining City Port Authority Dublin Carol

“And the barman asked me if I was alright? Simple little question. And i said I was. And he said he'd make me a sandwich. And I said okay. And I nearly started crying--because you know, here was someone just...And I watched him. He took two big slices off a fresh loaf and buttered them carefully, spreading it all around. I'll never forget it. And then he sliced some cheese and cooked ham and an onion out of a jar, and put it all on a plate and sliced it down the middle. And, just someone doing this for me. And putting it down in front of me. 'Get that down you, now,' he said. And then he folded up his newspaper and put on his jacket, and went off on his break. And there was another barman then. And I took this sandwich up and I could hardly swallow it, because of the lump in my throat. But I ate i tall down because someone I didn't know had done this for me. Such a small thing. But a huge thing. In my condition.” 4 likes