Start by marking “Suffer in Silence” as Want to Read:
Suffer in Silence

Suffer in Silence

A gripping novel of men training to become Navy SEALs who are pushed to their physical and mental limits---and what happens when those thresholds are crossed

It’s the pivotal test faced by every Navy SEAL: one hundred twenty sleepless hours of relentless physical punishment, interrupted only by hypothermia-inducing surf torture. Ensign Grey thought he knew what to

Published August 16th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Suffer in Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suffer in Silence

William Hill
Apr 08, 2012 William Hill rated it it was amazing
This is as close as you can come to Bud/S without being there. You will sweat, shiver, suffer right along with the other tadpoles. What makes this a compelling read is how the author has interwoven the training with colorful characters. What a crew! Grueling, funny, and sick.
Paul Pessolano
Apr 26, 2011 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always been fascinated as to why anyone would go through SEAL training. Navy SEAL's may be the most elite fighting force in the world, but why any sane person would go through "Hell Week" is beyond me.

Although this is a novel, it was written by one who has gone through Phase One and Hell Week. David Reid gives a very stark and graphic account of SEAL training. It is quite possible when the reader finishes the book they may still not believe the rigors that these men must endure.

The story
Jonathan Tomes
Sep 12, 2011 Jonathan Tomes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-fiction
Wow! After finishing David Reid’s Suffer in Silence, A Novel of Navy SEAL Training, I almost felt like I had been through BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) Hell Week myself—it was that compellingly written. When I was in the Army as an Infantry officer, I had done a few of the things the SEAL trainees did, like the Slide for Life and the drown-proofing. But I slept all night the night before the Slide for Life and went to the Officer’s Club for a cold one after the drown-proofing in the F ...more
David Gray
Jul 01, 2012 David Gray rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
An outstanding book about Phase I of BUD/S. Through the authors description of the pain, cold, and fear, the reader feels like he or she is in training. However, the book goes off course in the last chapters. Also, if the reader isn't somewhat expirienced in true military jargon he or she may get lost on the acronyms, ranks, rates, titles, and nomenclature that is used throughout. All in all, a good book.
Rick Fulton
Sep 02, 2014 Rick Fulton rated it it was amazing
very good book, must say one of the best since reading Lone Survivor. A must read to understand what these hero's go through before becoming a SEAL.
Alyssa
Jul 06, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was ok
I WON THIS BOOK ON GOODREADS!!!!!

(***************MINIMAL SPOILER ALERT*************************)

I really hate giving this a two star rating, but I have to based on several things.

First, for the positive. I really liked the plot. The book had good characters, believable emotions and thoughts. The story itself was really great. It was interesting and insightful to the life and demanding challenges of someone wishing to be a SEAL.

BUT, I DO NOT care to read vulgar language and the way women are tal
Krista
Aug 16, 2013 Krista rated it really liked it
Suffer in Silence was the first book I've read based around military training. I enjoyed the main character, Grey, immensely. I hated Instructors Redmond and Furtado more than I can begin to explain. This book gives the read deep dive into Navy SEAL training that will leave you with an extreme amount of respect for anyone who makes it through SEAL training. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would highly recommend it. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because some of the drills/tr ...more
Joey Boushka
Sep 02, 2015 Joey Boushka rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. This book caught my interest because I want to join the military and do special forces. This book is about BUD/S which is the training that Navy SEALs go through in order to become a SEAL. This book goes in depth about the days at BUD/S. I found it pretty funny actually when it was telling us about some of the things that the instructors say to the recruits. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants join the military and especially to anyone who is interested in ...more
Jeff
Jul 11, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was enthralling and horrifying even without the subplot. I was genuinely interested in the training, the efforts put forth, the torture, the obstacles, Hell Week, the breaking point of these men, and life in general at BUD/S. These things kept the pages turning effortlessly. It didn't hurt knowing that the book was written by someone who endured SEAL training. (I'm a sucker for "inside looks".)
Sarah Eiseman
Apr 04, 2013 Sarah Eiseman rated it liked it
This book was a mystery set during BUD/S. It was pretty graphic as far as the training went, but the mystery part lost me. The writing was good, I'm just not a big fan of mysteries. I think I would have enjoyed this book more as a memoir and less as fiction.
charles grantham
Can't put it down!

This book pulled you in deeper and deeper into the hellish life of a BUD\s trainee. I would recommend it to anyone that is interested the Special Operations community.
Brandon
A good book for learning about Navy Seal training.
Shawn Moore
It was ok
Carri
Jan 25, 2008 Carri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, almost terrifyingly real.
Atherton Asbury
Aug 12, 2012 Atherton Asbury rated it really liked it
Great read on phase 1 of BUD/s training. The ending could have been better.
Melody Schwenk
Jul 25, 2016 Melody Schwenk rated it it was amazing
If you have ever wanted to glean some insight into the secretive subculture of the Navy Seals training in Coronado this book is one of the best of it's kinda. Reid uses exceptional detail to immerse (literally and figuratively) the reader into the world of BUD/S - following Ensign Grey in his surf torture, log drills, and overall agonizing pain at the training camp the reader feels as though they are right there next to him.

I picked up this book a year after me and my ex-boyfriend broke up becau
Lucy
Oct 28, 2011 Lucy rated it liked it
Because I hung out with many SEALS during the Viet Nam War, (some of whom did not return), I was interested in this novel about their training written by a former SEAL. The guys had told me some of what they endured but this made me appreciate what they went through even more. With that said, the embellishments of a suspected murder and pursuit of the perpetrator was totally unnecessary and distracting. I'm not sure why the author felt he needed it. I think this would have been better as a memoi ...more
Fiona
Jul 10, 2011 Fiona rated it it was amazing
To say it's thought provoking is putting it mildly. From page one you are in the thick of things, right along side Grey and his crew as they fight to survive hell week. And no, I'm not just saying it because I won Suffer in Silence in a recent give-away. See for yourself. Add it to your reading list and see what you think. I had no idea what hell week entailed prior to reading this book.
Jennifer Ware
Dec 18, 2011 Jennifer Ware rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads, fiction
A friend passed this on to me. She received it from goodreads.com for free. I really liked this book. I don't read much of this type of book, but it came so highly reccommended that I tried it. Intense, emotional, well-written action and a book that stuck in my head for hours after I put it down.
Nicolas Adame
Mar 20, 2012 Nicolas Adame rated it it was amazing
Not too much to say for this book considering it's a pretty straightforward look into SEAL training. Being someone who might one day be interested in such as thing; this book makes for a fascinating read. If anything, just read it out of respect for what these guys go through. It's really something else.
Ellison
Dec 19, 2015 Ellison rated it it was ok
Tale about soldiers aspiring to be SEALs. Chronicles the difficult training, one guy says a trainer is picking on him and says he is going to see if he can dig up dirt on the guy. Long torturous read. Swearing, gals mixed in.
Solomon Dean
Aug 24, 2016 Solomon Dean rated it it was amazing
Very well written, you zone out with author and travel with David Reid encountering all the challenges he's faced and the occasional cracking up of the old sailor jokes - Fantastic book! Brillant work!
Samuel
Dec 27, 2015 Samuel rated it it was ok
A thoroughly enjoyable and intriguing tale of US Navy Seal BUDS training with a shocking twist of mystery.
Leigh Ann
Mar 05, 2016 Leigh Ann rated it it was amazing
A very good book, well-written. It was very hard to put down, but at the same time a little hard to read, because of the subject matter. Brutal at times, but well worth it.
Bmounier
Jul 14, 2015 Bmounier rated it liked it
Excellent if you are curious about BUD/S training. But the attempt at a plot is pathetic. Would have been better without it.
Łukasz Chlebowski
Łukasz Chlebowski rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Conor C
Conor C rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Paul Needham
Paul Needham rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
A.j.
A.j. rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
  • The Finishing School: Earning the Navy SEAL Trident
  • The Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen
  • How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq
  • I Murdered the PTA
  • Constitution Cafe: Jefferson's Brew for a True Revolution: Jefferson's Brew for a True Revolution
  • Forex Frontiers "The Essentials of Currency Trading"
  • Two Feet Off the Ground
  • Redeeming the Rogue (Chambers Trilogy, #3)
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Inside SEAL Team Six: My Life and Missions with America's Elite Warriors
  • 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, The Ultimate Handbook
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • No Room for Error: The Covert Operations of America's Special Tactics Units from Iran To Afghanistan
  • While They're at War: The True Story of American Families on the Homefront
  • Wind in the Grasses Dancing (Dancing the Dream, #1)