Start by marking “Suffer in Silence” as Want to Read:
Suffer in Silence

Suffer in Silence

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A gripping novel of men training to become Navy SEALs who are pushed to their physical and mental limits---and what happens when thosethresholds are crossed

It’s the pivotal test faced by every Navy SEAL: one hundred twenty sleepless hours of relentless physical punishment, interrupted only by hypothermia-inducing surf torture. Ensign Grey thought he knew what to expect, bu
Published August 16th 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Suffer in Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suffer in Silence

William Hill
This is as close as you can come to Bud/S without being there. You will sweat, shiver, suffer right along with the other tadpoles. What makes this a compelling read is how the author has interwoven the training with colorful characters. What a crew! Grueling, funny, and sick.
Paul Pessolano
I have always been fascinated as to why anyone would go through SEAL training. Navy SEAL's may be the most elite fighting force in the world, but why any sane person would go through "Hell Week" is beyond me.

Although this is a novel, it was written by one who has gone through Phase One and Hell Week. David Reid gives a very stark and graphic account of SEAL training. It is quite possible when the reader finishes the book they may still not believe the rigors that these men must endure.

The story
Jonathan Tomes
Wow! After finishing David Reid’s Suffer in Silence, A Novel of Navy SEAL Training, I almost felt like I had been through BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) Hell Week myself—it was that compellingly written. When I was in the Army as an Infantry officer, I had done a few of the things the SEAL trainees did, like the Slide for Life and the drown-proofing. But I slept all night the night before the Slide for Life and went to the Officer’s Club for a cold one after the drown-proofing in the F ...more
David Gray
An outstanding book about Phase I of BUD/S. Through the authors description of the pain, cold, and fear, the reader feels like he or she is in training. However, the book goes off course in the last chapters. Also, if the reader isn't somewhat expirienced in true military jargon he or she may get lost on the acronyms, ranks, rates, titles, and nomenclature that is used throughout. All in all, a good book.
Rick Fulton
very good book, must say one of the best since reading Lone Survivor. A must read to understand what these hero's go through before becoming a SEAL.
Alyssa
I WON THIS BOOK ON GOODREADS!!!!!

(***************MINIMAL SPOILER ALERT*************************)

I really hate giving this a two star rating, but I have to based on several things.

First, for the positive. I really liked the plot. The book had good characters, believable emotions and thoughts. The story itself was really great. It was interesting and insightful to the life and demanding challenges of someone wishing to be a SEAL.

BUT, I DO NOT care to read vulgar language and the way women are tal
Lucy
Because I hung out with many SEALS during the Viet Nam War, (some of whom did not return), I was interested in this novel about their training written by a former SEAL. The guys had told me some of what they endured but this made me appreciate what they went through even more. With that said, the embellishments of a suspected murder and pursuit of the perpetrator was totally unnecessary and distracting. I'm not sure why the author felt he needed it. I think this would have been better as a memoi ...more
Krista
Suffer in Silence was the first book I've read based around military training. I enjoyed the main character, Grey, immensely. I hated Instructors Redmond and Furtado more than I can begin to explain. This book gives the read deep dive into Navy SEAL training that will leave you with an extreme amount of respect for anyone who makes it through SEAL training. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and would highly recommend it. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because some of the drills/tr ...more
Jeff
This book was enthralling and horrifying even without the subplot. I was genuinely interested in the training, the efforts put forth, the torture, the obstacles, Hell Week, the breaking point of these men, and life in general at BUD/S. These things kept the pages turning effortlessly. It didn't hurt knowing that the book was written by someone who endured SEAL training. (I'm a sucker for "inside looks".)
Fiona
To say it's thought provoking is putting it mildly. From page one you are in the thick of things, right along side Grey and his crew as they fight to survive hell week. And no, I'm not just saying it because I won Suffer in Silence in a recent give-away. See for yourself. Add it to your reading list and see what you think. I had no idea what hell week entailed prior to reading this book.
Nicolas Adame
Not too much to say for this book considering it's a pretty straightforward look into SEAL training. Being someone who might one day be interested in such as thing; this book makes for a fascinating read. If anything, just read it out of respect for what these guys go through. It's really something else.
Jennifer Ware
A friend passed this on to me. She received it from goodreads.com for free. I really liked this book. I don't read much of this type of book, but it came so highly reccommended that I tried it. Intense, emotional, well-written action and a book that stuck in my head for hours after I put it down.
Sarah Eiseman
This book was a mystery set during BUD/S. It was pretty graphic as far as the training went, but the mystery part lost me. The writing was good, I'm just not a big fan of mysteries. I think I would have enjoyed this book more as a memoir and less as fiction.
Atherton Asbury
Great read on phase 1 of BUD/s training. The ending could have been better.
Brandon
A good book for learning about Navy Seal training.
Carri
Very good, almost terrifyingly real.
Ben
Good Read....It is What It Is...
Shawn Moore
It was ok
Robert Scrivner
Robert Scrivner marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Deval
Deval marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Surya
Surya marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Erin Efting
Erin Efting is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2014
  • The Finishing School: Earning the Navy SEAL Trident
  • Warrior Soul: The Memoir of a Navy Seal
  • Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic
  • The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen
  • No Room for Error: The Covert Operations of America's Special Tactics Units from Iran To Afghanistan
  • Seal of Honor: Operation Red Wings and the Life of LT. Michael P. Murphy, USN
  • How to Break a Terrorist: The U.S. Interrogators Who Used Brains, Not Brutality, to Take Down the Deadliest Man in Iraq
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Inside SEAL Team Six: My Life and Missions with America's Elite Warriors
  • Service: A Navy SEAL at War
  • Trident K9 Warriors: My Tale from the Training Ground to the Battlefield with Elite Navy SEAL Canines
  • Making the Corps
  • The Way of SEAL: Think Like an Elite Warrior to Succeed and Lead in Life
  • 101 Success Secrets for Gifted Kids, The Ultimate Handbook
  • The Incredible Origins of the Onyx Sun
  • We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder with the Marines Who Took Fallujah
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • The Echo Chamber