Start by marking “Gaban” as Want to Read:
Gaban

Gaban

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,541 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Gaban, one of the most celebrate d novels of Munshi Premchand, was first published in 1931. It tells the story of Ramanath, a charming but morally weak young man, who in order to fulfil his beautiful wife's Jalpa excessive craving for jewellery involves himself in complex economic and personal relationships, which eventually leads to his apparent ignominy, and his escape f ...more
Paperback, 01, 272 pages
Published 2011 by Cedar Books (first published October 10th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gaban, please sign up.

Dhiraj Singh Gaban deals with caste system, prostitution, ethics and criminal justice system of India under the British.

Anshul Gaurav
Jan 30, 2012 Anshul Gaurav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Gaban' (embezzlement) was my second book by Premchand, it was perhaps, my second Hindi novel.
This may come as a surprise to my Western peers but such is the sorry state of affairs of Hindi literature in the most predominantly Hindi speaking region of the world. Even here, you would do well just knowing the names of Hindi works. Even though this is not supposed to be a write up on the state of my mother tongue in my motherland, I do consider it as my duty, as a student of literature, to bring fo
Spirit-Soul-Body   (  Lil Book Harpy  )
I have read very few by Munshi Premchand but whatever i could was worth it. "Gaban" was one of the first to introduce me to Premchand's world. thereafter I always look for an opportunity to read and latest I stumble on columbia university arts students's love and study of Hindi literature where obviously they had eye on premchand aka "the shakespeare of hindi literature".

Gaban means stealing. person loves his wife and tries to hide his gaban of money.
It is interesting to see how premchand's sty
Gorab Jain
Jul 09, 2015 Gorab Jain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian, hindi
My rating - 3/5

This is my first book by Premchand and I liked it more because of easy hindi words and simplistic narration. The characters and situations are realistic and convincing. Easier to connect for Indian readers and gives an insight into rural Indian culture and lifestyle for other readers as well.
Its the story of a poor rural Indian family. While the wife(like most Indian women) is very much obsessed with owning more and more gold ornaments, the husband struggles to meet the household
findingnimi
Mar 28, 2014 findingnimi rated it it was ok
I have read the short version of Gaban. Story is of old times.
Priyanka
Mar 06, 2017 Priyanka rated it really liked it
Shelves: mine-read
Amazing depiction of emotions and great use of hindi words at all the places. He has shown a very true picture of Indian traditional society of 70s and before. Inspired me to read more of hindi sahitya. Storyline is good , but not to relate with current situations, as it was written many years back.
Sundarraj Kaushik
Sep 16, 2013 Sundarraj Kaushik rated it really liked it
A book offers a very good insight into how corruption seeps into the lives of ordinary citizens. How greed and lust drive men and women to become corrupt and succumb to temptations of easy money.
The protagonist Rama is a simple villager who wants to idle away his time by playing chess and spending time with his friends. His father is a straightforward man who has never taken bribe in his life and has struggled to make ends meet.
He is married to Jalpa who is a beauty and has an unfulfilled cravin
Pushpam Singh
May 15, 2012 Pushpam Singh rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece by Premchand. Greatest thing about his stories is the simplicity and close to reality feeling. You feel as if things are happening all around you. Characters have flaws like we all have.
This story starts with mention of necklace and obsession of women with gold and necklace. Rama lead character is married to Jalpa. Jalpa a typical lady forces Rama to buy gifts for her. Rama who is just new into the job tries to tamper with the accounts and money. Jalpa in turn has made a fri
Arpit
May 07, 2015 Arpit rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, hindi
My first novel of Munshi Premchand though i have read some of his stories in my school.
The main point of his Novels/Stories is Simplicity.
The major theme of all novels is Rural India and the best part of it,Characters are not artificial. His work represents the real India with real characters.
This novel is full of Suspense,Drama,Social issues and the Flavor of India .
Khushboo singhal
Apr 05, 2014 Khushboo singhal rated it really liked it
Beautiful description of different stages of life, a man passes through.. How trust and being true are bonded to enhance the importance of a healthy relation..
Ankit Garg
One of the greatest hindi authors writing about plight of the indian society
Piya
Sep 14, 2012 Piya added it
my favorite novel by premchand ji......
Divya Mathur
Mar 20, 2017 Divya Mathur rated it really liked it
Shelves: life, indian-authors
The story is from a different era but it will be stuck in my mind forever. The beauty about the author is that he is an unbiased observer of the flaws of our society and he is allowing us to feel but be no judge of his characters. A quality rarely found.
It's a great book, if anyone wants to have a bite of Hindi literature, go for it. One word of caution: it has negligible or dark humor, so it is not an easy read.

Kumar Gyanam
Mar 05, 2017 Kumar Gyanam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finest of fine stories

I will not recognize how old the story is. You will relate it to NOW. this is story of a woman or say women. Their intelligence, sacrifice, ideology, trust. I recommend this book if you want to know India from Indian.
Himesh
Nov 18, 2012 Himesh rated it really liked it
Sunil Kumar Singh
Feb 16, 2017 Sunil Kumar Singh rated it it was amazing
my favourite book.
Rajan
Jul 18, 2015 Rajan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will prefer it to call it a romance. Premchand's novel Gaban ("Embezzlement"), focusing on the middle class' greed is summarized as below:
The novel revolves around Ramaa, a young man of malleable moral values and his intrepid wife Jaalpa who seems outwardly flaky and greedy for gold ornaments but hides a much stronger core. Ramaa’s world is build on a mountain of lies and hubris. Jaalpa is young and restless and believes all the tall stories her handsome husband tells.Rama soon finds himself c
Yash Rathi
Jul 14, 2015 Yash Rathi rated it really liked it
The novel revolves around Ramaa, a young man of malleable moral values and his intrepid wife Jaalpa who seems outwardly flaky and greedy for gold ornaments but hides a much stronger core.Ramaa’s world is build on a mountain of lies and hubris. Jaalpa is young and restless and believes all the tall stories her handsome husband tells.Rama soon finds himself committing fraud(Gaban) to buy her ornaments which leads to a huge misunderstanding thanks to his cowardice. Gaban tells its story with impecc ...more
Sirigiri Vipin
May 14, 2015 Sirigiri Vipin rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Premchand highlights multiple issues still relevant and plaguing Indian society through this book.
Beginning from the baseless luster for jewelry amongst women, flattering oneself by deceiving and half truths, fear of public shame over slightest incidents to abuse of power by police and government officials. Each character goes through a complete journey of renunciation at some point or the other. Although at times it gets a bit preachy, liked the way its protagonists were neither virtuous nor v
Conscientia
Dec 10, 2012 Conscientia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
My 1st Hindi novel. 1st read it when I was in 6th standard & loved after first 10 pages. Though had this Novel as Chapter in my Hindi School Course Textbook but only few pages and not much in detail. So thought of buying & reading it.

Till date this book is my FAVORITE HINDI Literature book ever. Next also comes Godon again by Munshi Premchand.

The story is so compelling & the characters are so real life that after few pages one feel that they are the characters and its all happening w
Mansi
Nov 16, 2016 Mansi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sohini
Shelves: audio, hindi
Mayank Pandya
Bhai sahab... No one can catch hand of Prem Chand in illustrating rural India & indian emotions. truly master piece. GABAN gives you glimpses the actual relationship of husband and wife .firstly love of gold and then with partner is narrated very smoothly .THE DIGNITY OF INDIAN WOMAN is define very strongly.The struggle of JALPA to find her husband and RAMCHANDRA guilt feeling is draw very beautifully .The writer gives us a very real and fascinating tim eating description of that time of nor ...more
Kushmakar Sharma
May 30, 2014 Kushmakar Sharma rated it really liked it
A simple story that beautifully depicts the conflicts of simpler times. What struck me most was how through the eyes of the characters Munshiji has depicted a liberal world view that was much ahead of it's times. Be it money management, women empowerment and general understanding of life in general, Munshiji exhibits such a rare understanding that we struggle to find in India of even today. The book beautifully portrays the characters in their most human form having their share of flaws and vice ...more
Shruti
Jan 05, 2015 Shruti rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-indian
Very simple and subtle story, yet a very strong message. Premchand clearly outlines the characters, their strengths, their weaknesses and their growth through the course of the novel. Be it Jalpa's love for jewellery, or Ramanath's timid and weak character all of which is commonplace among the people of India. It is a story happening at your next door, and you don't even notice it until the protagonist abandons the family as his own selfish way of escape. This is my first novel by Premchand, and ...more
Abhi
Aug 28, 2015 Abhi rated it really liked it
it is a ultimate work by munshi premchand.The best thing that i found in his writing that he has written in context of that era,the condition of that times, the thinking of people and other plots were all exellent. for the generation after the independence novel plays an important role in framing the pictures of daily life and dhanpat rai was a born writer. for me reading this was a way to find my own roots as an indian.
Saloni Gole
A captivating book! Must read at least once

It enchants during the first half but second half is stretched & is quite boring but definitely must read once at least. The author has fascinated me more due to the parts of Ratan and Zohra than anything else. Such Indian authors are definitely the best of their lot and are definitely comparable to legends like Socrates and Shakespeare.
Anand Patel
Mar 28, 2016 Anand Patel rated it really liked it
Gaban is most famous book of the legendary writer Munshi Premchand, book tells about the story of couple who wanted to have all the glitters but didnt have medium to do so. The Husband ready to do anything to give wife what ever she wants & wife just imposed her liking on husband. The story of how things goes in wrong direction & what it all stored for people related to them. Overall a nice read and also painful to read how greedyness is killing mankind.

Daljit
Jul 19, 2012 Daljit rated it really liked it
A slow start but becomes better as the story progresses. The story shows how we can fall for materialistic things and without caring for the consequences we just want to fulfil our wishes. This also shows that when our heart changes and we realize what we were doing, to what extent we can go and try to make things better not only for ourselves but people around us.

Worth giving it a try.
Devendra Singh
Munshi Premchand is a giant of hindi and Urdu lierature. Premchand sahib started his literary career , writing in urdu. Gaban is a masterpiece showing changing indian ethos of consumerism, maze of relations, and other typical indian habits. Premchand sahib is master of indian psychology , especially rural mindset.
Abhishek Sawarna
Mar 01, 2016 Abhishek Sawarna rated it really liked it
it is one of the best novels written by premchand. Detailing is of course there but the way various characters are portrayed in this novel is mind-blowing. characters of Jalpa and ramanath depicts the dilemma, aspirations of people in Northern Part of India at the time when freedom struggle was going on. it is a must read book for all the novel lovers or TO-BE-WRITERS.
Sais Shishir
Life lessons that you should learn, packed in an interesting story. Lessons of idealism, as well as lessons of everyday life.
An inspiring story of a strong woman who overcomes her mistakes and touches very high level of greatness, inspiring her fallen husband. A nice love story, and a story that teaches you that there's a new life beyond all storm in life.
Hindi? 4 17 Jul 22, 2014 04:55AM
  • राग दरबारी
  • सूरज का सातवाँ घोड़ा [Suraj ka Satwan Ghoda]
  • मधुशाला
  • Parineeta
  • Apni Apni Bimari (अपनी अपनी बीमारी)
  • Kurukshetra (कुरूक्षेत्र)
  • Chitralekha
  • मैला आँचल
  • Kamayani
  • Raat Pashmine Ki
Munshi Premchand (Hindi: मुंशी परेमचंद) was an Indian writer famous for his modern Hindustani literature. He is one of the most celebrated writers of the Indian subcontinent,and is regarded as one of the foremost Hindustani writers of the early twentieth century.

Born Dhanpat Rai, he began writing under the pen name "Nawab Rai", but subsequently switched to "Premchand", while he is also known as "M
More about Munshi Premchand...

“A worshipper of science says a subtle radiance leaves the body. Devotees of the science of imagination say the vital essence may emerge from the eyes, from the mouth, from the top of the head. Let someone ask them, when a wave is being absorbed, is there a spark? When a sound is vanishing, does it become incarnated? This is merely a rest during that endless journey, not where the journey ends, but where it begins anew.” 2 likes
“नाटक उस वक्त पास होता है, जब रसिक समाज उसे पंसद कर लेता है। बरात का नाटक उस वक्त पास होता है, जब राह चलते आदमी उसे पंसद कर लेते हैं।” 1 likes