Gaban

Gaban

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  463 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Gaban, one of the most celebrate d novels of Munshi Premchand, was first published in 1931. It tells the story of Ramanath, a charming but morally weak young man, who in order to fulfil his beautiful wife's Jalpa excessive craving for jewellery involves himself in complex economic and personal relationships, which eventually leads to his apparent ignominy, and his escape f...more
Paperback, 01, 272 pages
Published 2011 by Cedar Books

Gaban by Munshi Premchand
Best hindi novels
1st out of 1 book — 1 voter
The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyA Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaMidnight's Children by Salman RushdieThe Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Best Indian Books
333rd out of 463 books — 1,327 voters

More lists with this book...

Anshul Gaurav
'Gaban' (embezzlement) was my second book by Premchand, it was perhaps, my second Hindi novel.
This may come as a surprise to my Western peers but such is the sorry state of affairs of Hindi literature in the most predominantly Hindi speaking region of the world. Even here, you would do well just knowing the names of Hindi works. Even though this is not supposed to be a write up on the state of my mother tongue in my motherland, I do consider it as my duty, as a student of literature, to bring fo...more
Pushpam Singh
Another masterpiece by Premchand. Greatest thing about his stories is the simplicity and close to reality feeling. You feel as if things are happening all around you. Characters have flaws like we all have.
This story starts with mention of necklace and obsession of women with gold and necklace. Rama lead character is married to Jalpa. Jalpa a typical lady forces Rama to buy gifts for her. Rama who is just new into the job tries to tamper with the accounts and money. Jalpa in turn has made a fri...more
Himesh
Sundarraj Kaushik
A book offers a very good insight into how corruption seeps into the lives of ordinary citizens. How greed and lust drive men and women to become corrupt and succumb to temptations of easy money.
The protagonist Rama is a simple villager who wants to idle away his time by playing chess and spending time with his friends. His father is a straightforward man who has never taken bribe in his life and has struggled to make ends meet.
He is married to Jalpa who is a beauty and has an unfulfilled cravin...more
Saurabh Khetan
This was the first novel of Munshi premcand ji, which i gone through, It was well written and story was to well presented, every character in this novel seems to be so realistic, that one can imagine their roll. book was well written.
Conscientia
My 1st Hindi novel. 1st read it when I was in 6th standard & loved after first 10 pages. Though had this Novel as Chapter in my Hindi School Course Textbook but only few pages and not much in detail. So thought of buying & reading it.

Till date this book is my FAVORITE HINDI Literature book ever. Next also comes Godon again by Munshi Premchand.

The story is so compelling & the characters are so real life that after few pages one feel that they are the characters and its all happening w...more
Amit
Extremely good to understand why there is no need to go for over-expenditure in order to attain everything !!
Khushboo singhal
Apr 05, 2014 Khushboo singhal is currently reading it
Beautiful description of different stages of life, a man passes through...
Nimisha
I have read the short version of Gaban. Story is of old times.
Daljit
A slow start but becomes better as the story progresses. The story shows how we can fall for materialistic things and without caring for the consequences we just want to fulfil our wishes. This also shows that when our heart changes and we realize what we were doing, to what extent we can go and try to make things better not only for ourselves but people around us.

Worth giving it a try.
Sais Shishir
Life lessons that you should learn, packed in an interesting story. Lessons of idealism, as well as lessons of everyday life.
An inspiring story of a strong woman who overcomes her mistakes and touches very high level of greatness, inspiring her fallen husband. A nice love story, and a story that teaches you that there's a new life beyond all storm in life.
Devendra Singh
Munshi Premchand is a giant of hindi and Urdu lierature. Premchand sahib started his literary career , writing in urdu. Gaban is a masterpiece showing changing indian ethos of consumerism, maze of relations, and other typical indian habits. Premchand sahib is master of indian psychology , especially rural mindset.
Anmol
The best thing about Munshi Premchand is that the stories look so real that it seems as if the events are happening nearby you. Gaban is a story of a common man who lands himself in a chain of troubles and it all just starts with a "simple innocent lie".
Ankit Garg
One of the greatest hindi authors writing about plight of the indian society
Indresh
this is novel is based on poor former what kind of problom they are faceing
Piya
Sep 14, 2012 Piya added it
my favorite novel by premchand ji......
Jayesh Shah
Good book. Nicely written.
Gajendra Singh
A nice and interesting read.
Rodrigo d'Orey
Jan 25, 2013 Rodrigo d'Orey marked it as to-read
High Hindi
Neeraj
Neeraj added it
Apr 15, 2014
Yogendra Kumar
Yogendra Kumar marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Vivek Kumar
Vivek Kumar marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Nitu Singh
Nitu Singh marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Nagaraja K
Nagaraja K marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Kimong Shaw
Kimong Shaw marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Hindi? 3 10 Jul 25, 2013 12:13AM
  • Raag Darbari (राग दरबारी)
  • मधुशाला
  • Tamas
  • सूरज का सातवाँ घोड़ा (Suraj ka Satwan Ghoda)
  • Pinjar
  • Lajja: Shame
  • Bangarwadi
  • دیوانِ غالب
  • The Old Man and His God: Discovering the Spirit of India
Munshi Premchand (Hindi: मुंशी प्रेमचंद) was an Indian writer famous for his modern Hindustani literature. He is one of the most celebrated writers of the Indian subcontinent,and is regarded as one of the foremost Hindustani writers of the early twentieth century.

Born Dhanpat Rai, he began writing under the pen name "Nawab Rai", but subsequently switched to "Premchand", while he is also known as "...more
More about Munshi Premchand...
गोदान Nirmala शतरंज के खिलाड़ी कफ़न Mansarovar Short Stories by Premchand