Start by marking “When Love Awaits” as Want to Read:
When Love Awaits

When Love Awaits

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  4,516 ratings  ·  110 reviews

Once Lady Leonie cursed 'the Black Wolf' - handsome Rolfe d'Ambert, the mercenary Lord of Kempston - for his bloody deeds and cruelty to the local peasants. Now she must marry the magnificent blackguard to bring peace to the land.

Young, innocent, and possessing a rare and exquisite beauty, Leonie would be a prize for any man - yet Rolfe seeks the match solely for revenge.

Published (first published April 17th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about When Love Awaits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Love Awaits

Blair

I loved this book. It was awesome. Really enjoyed it.
Karla
You know, most Johanna Lindsey books I read would get an extra star if the last 1/3rd wasn't always the H and h deliberately misinterpreting and non-communicating about Random Dumb Shit and having Psycho Mood Swings from minute to minute.

This one was quite better than the usual, though. No Malorys in sight! Woot!
❀angela
I'm okay with BIG MISUNDERSTANDINGS, maybe even two if the writing's good, but this book was nothing but misunderstandings.
Nisha
I know I normally hate these types of books - meaning, brutish, yet handsome hero, a great and terrible misunderstanding, forced marriage, a live-in mistress, a bitchy stepmom... but it redeems itself in a way that I would have never expected of JL. A really strong heroine who does not need to dress up as a man to assert her strength. Now, that is sexy.

Lady Leonie is forced to marry Rolfe, the Black Wolf, under the orders of the King. But he only wants her because of the land that is under her n
Ren
Read the translated version and write the review in my own languange

Buku yang bikin emosi (again) Emang ada aja yah tokoh cowo yang nyimpen mistressnya, sementara istrinya ada di tempat yang sama.....Cewenya juga tipe plin plan nih. TSTL. Too stupid to live. Cari cowo lain kenapa (deuuuh!!!). Kirain kuat pas awal2, ternyata toh juga bego di akhir..

Dan lagi, ada ya hero yang ga kenal ma muka istrinya sendiri, sampai digodain di taman, kagak nyadar itu istrinya . Bukan contoh hero yang baik nih
Jeski
This is absolutely my least favorite Johanna Lindsey novel of all time. The hero has to be some kind of idiot to not realize that she is not ugly but beaten and he is so chauvinistic- way more than the alpha males you usually read about - in his attitude and downright cruel in the way he treats his heroin. PLUS there is an awful lot to do with a mistress in this book.

Truth me told, I got a third of the way through this book and wanted to rip it in half I was so pissed off. I only finished it be
Josie
*SPOILERS*

Way too many misunderstandings between the hero and heroine.

I just didn't get why they arrived at so many conclusions from so unreliable sources. Why would the heroine believe anything the mistress says? It doesn't make sense to not be suspicious of her motives. Don't try to make out the heroine is smart by having her be her own steward and discover underhand dealings regarding the accounts, and then make her completely oblivious to the evil stepmother and conniving other woman.

And bar
Regan Walker
Love in an Arranged Marriage in the times of King Henry II

Set in England in 1176, this is the story of Lady Leonie, sent away by her father to her dower keep because he didn’t want to be reminded of her mother (or so she was led to believe). When her neighbor, Sir Rolfe d'Ambert, a favored knight of King Henry, discovers she owns the land that is causing all his problems, the mercenary Lord of Kempston asks the king for her hand. Leonie knows Rolfe only by reputation and it is not good, but she
Abi
Well, let's see... first of all, i wasn't planning to read it last night. So, i decided to sleep early and woke up at 1 in the morning, and couldn't get back to sleep. So, like any sane person would do, i clicked on my lamp and picked up the first book on my nightstand, and figured that i could read a few chapters and continue the next day. But, I believe i may have found a book that i quite like, because at exactly 6 o'clock in the morning, i finished the whole thing.

When i found this in the b
Ruby
I picked up an entire collection of Johanna Lindsey books from the free cart at the library and over this weekend, I've decided to read and get rid of books that are "cover challenged." A mere glance at "When Love Awaits" attests to the fact that it clearly falls into that category.

The male protagonist, Rolfe, is butt naked and holding a sword, and Lady Leonie's neck is abnormally long and bent at an unnatural angle.

At any rate, I used to be a huge Lindsey fan, and I've never read this 1986 one,
Grettel Grace
Un final muy tonto y malo para todo el tira y afloja durante toda la historia.
Zel Polev
Dinjolina
Oh,I finished this book!

Wait,I did,right?
Seems that I am not sure.
It would have been a super book if not for the fact that on the last page (view spoiler)
So,call me crazy but all that crammed in there was like being pushed down a kiddy water slide. It just isn't done. Bad author, bad!
Lauren
I don't know why I read romances when one of my least favorite things is something romances specialize in: conflicts that could easily be solved by the two characters HAVING A FUCKING HONEST CONVERSATION.

That situation accounted for about 85% of this novel.

(also, since I read these on a sketchy Russian website, I don't usually get to see the covers, but OH MAN, THIS ONE IS 1000000% PURE 80S CHEESE AND I LOVE IT.)
Vanny E.
Johanna lindseys have never failed me but i guess theres a first time for everything. what ruined this book for me was the heroine. to dam stuborn and prideful and stayed quiet for things i would have yelled and raved about. Holy shit, did i hate her. There were so many opportunities she could have taken to clear up the entire situation and she didnt use any of them. Completely Dissapointed in this Book.
nurmawati

salah satu novel JL favorit gw...suka sama co nya en ce nya walo gw lupa siapa namanya hehehe...
tapi recommended banget buat di baca secara terjemahan gpu bagus banget...
Indah Threez Lestari
Setelah lama tertunda, akhirnya buku ini kubaca dalam perjalanan Gambir-Cirebon semalam.

Membaca halaman-halaman pertama, langsung teringat Defy Not The Heart. Selain settingnya sama-sama medieval, seperti Ranulf, Rolfe mantan mercenary jagoan sebelum jadi penguasa Kempston, dan seperti Reina, Leonie juga lady mandiri yang biasa mengatur purinya sendiri. Persamaan lainnya juga bedding-nya baru terjadi setelah wedding (contoh yang baik buat generasi muda, kebanyakan novel roman mengesahkan seks d
Lover of Romance
Lady Leonie grew up without a mother, her father remarried, and her step mother ends up controlling everything in the household when she drugs her father enough to appear drunk. No one is aware of this. Leonie, one day curses the "Black Wolf" whom she is afraid of. The peasants hear her, and since they are very loyal to her start wreaking havoc on Rolfe; minor incidents but enough so that he wants to take action. He decides to marry Lady Leonie to stop these incidents. Lady Leonie refuses to mar ...more
Netha
one of my fave book

masih tetap bercirikan JL (yahhhh secara yg ngarang JL).

Rolfe D'Ambert, the mercenary lord of kempston mengambil alih manor & tanah yg bersebelahan dengan tanah milik lady leonie.
Lady Leonie yg oleh karna mendengar cerita dari sahabat kecilnya yg kehilangan segala miliknya ditangan Rolfe langsung menjudge jelek Rolfe bahkan mengutuknya & memanggilnya "Black Wolf".
kutukan itu didengar oleh her people membuat keadaan runyam.
para penduduk setempat jadi tidak menyukai Lord
Zenei
Really 3 1/2 stars. Just a tad bit above average because there were a few parts that actually stood out for me. 1. The step mom's character was well developed. She wasn't just the evil step mom with the one dimensional personality. Ms. Lindsey showed the character to have her own agenda where even though it did not make her less evil, at least you could kind of comprehend her position and therefore can see her as a real person. 2. The heroine's father's character was also well developed so that ...more
Marie
Bintang 3.

Sejenis dengan buku karangan JL yg penuh dengan penipuan karakter antagonis yg ingin mgambil keuntungan, tak adanya kejujuran antara karakter hero dan heroine, keadaan yg tak menguntungkan, ketegaran dan harga diri yg tinggi yg dimiliki karakter heroine, dan gabungan dari unsur unsur tersebut menciptakan perspektif yg salah. Selalu ada saat terbersit kata kata "mengapa" dan "seandainya" sepanjang membaca buku ini. Walau negitu aku tetap suka HR yg happy ending seperti halnya kisah satu
Red
Sebenarnya rating-nya cuma 3.8/9 tapi sudahlah sekalian saja jadi 4.
-----------
Leonie yang 'dibuang' oleh Ayahnya ke Montywn mengutuki pemilik baru dari benteng Crewel yang membuat putra dari pemilik yang terdahulu, Alain, meninggalkannya.
sedih karena ditinggalkan teman cowok itu dan diberitahu bahwa pemilik Crewel yang baru adalah seseorang yang kejam, karena itu Leonie mengutukinya. namun karena kutukan itu--agar pemilik Crewel yang baru tekena cacar air--membuat anak buahnya melakukan hal yan
Dawn
Rolfe is a knight who was just granted land by the King and decides to get married to gain peace with his neighbor. His neighbor happens to be Leonie who does not want to get married and has been told the Black Wolfe was a monster. I like it for what it was...a historical romance. The characters were both likable, but there was so much confusion and misunderstandings that made you want to scream "Why don't you people just talk!". Because of that I do not feel that each plot in the story had the ...more
Raluca Neacsu
OHHHHHHHHH yes. the plot here is qiute simple. the wolf i here is just a simple man whom i find very sweet and cute. even if 'cute' isnt fit for him. but his actions and gestures never seem any different from a teenage boy in love. even if i pity the bride because of the very bad treatment from her stepmother.. and yes it includes real violence. on the day of her marriage she has to wear a veil... her face is... from the order of her stepmother. she is forced to marry.. but soon after she falls ...more
Donna Campbell
I could not fall in love with Rolfe--there was not a more clueless dumb bunny around-- not only did he see no evil--house clean (Leonie) Pig sty (Amelia), hear no evil (thinks she did without a few meals in comparison to being beat even though the story was all the rage that he beat her)--speak no evil--just tell Leonie the entire story of Amelia & after all the agony everything's all good. Shoot me now....
Becky
The lovely, enchanting Leonie could have any man she wished, but she was just satisfied running her estate. After her mothers death, her father sent her away as she always reminded him on what he lost and remarried and became a drunkard. After cursing the "Black Wolf" the new Lord of Kempston, for his so said cruelty to the local peasants, she is mortified when she discovers King Henry has demanded her to marry the dark, but handsome Rolfe d'Ambert, the mercenary Lord of Kempston. As the story g ...more
Wieta
Historical romance ini agak beda dengan buku2 sebelumnya yg saya baca karena dilatar belakangi perebutan benteng/wilayah sehingga lebih menarik. Kisahnya ssendiri lumayan seru karena banyak kesalahpahaman yang terjadi antara Rolfe dan Leonie. Mulai dari sebelum menikah, malam pertama mereka dan sampai setelah menjadi suami istri.

Satu hal yang lucu adalah karena sebelumnya Rolfe tidak pernah melihat wajah istrinya dan diberitahu bahwa calon istrinya memiliki paras yang jelek, kemudian saat perni
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Cerita yang menarik...

Penuh dengan emosi... sampe emosi gw juga terpacing baca.nya... kenapaa?? soal.nya isi nih novet SALAH PAHAM semuaaa... miss understanding... miss communication!! ckckckckc... hebat deeh...

cerita.nya kayak cerita2 kerajaan yg biasa di film.in.. (mungkin ni bagus juga kali yah klo d film.in)
konflik.nya banyak... salah paham.nya apa lagi... egois sama pikiran masing2... tp itulah bumbu dari cerita ini, ciri khas Johanna Lindsay...

oh iya... terlalu banyak antagonis d cerit
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Cerita yang menarik...

oh iya... terlalu banyak antagonis d cerita i
Natalie
Like all of Johanna Lindsey's other books, I quite enjoyed this. Lady Leonie was such a sweet lead female, and my heart ached when her's did; she deserved happiness but was always denied it for so long. So many times she and Rolfe could have started their happy life together, but something (usually Amelia and her lies) stood in their way. This could be used as a cautionary tale for what lack of communication can result in (although, thankfully, it has a happy ending). I wish that the book had go ...more
What's The Name o...: Historical Romance forced marriage [s] 4 35 Sep 19, 2014 06:46AM
  • Promise of the Rose
  • The Dragon Lord
  • The Taming (Peregrine, #1)
  • Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
  • Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2)
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • The Warrior
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • My Wicked Enchantress
  • Deceive Not My Heart
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • The Flame and the Flower
  • Princess of Fire (Fire, #1)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...
Gentle Rogue (Malory-Anderson Family, #3) Love Only Once (Malory-Anderson Family, #1) Prisoner of My Desire Tender Rebel (Malory-Anderson Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory-Anderson Family, #4)