Start by marking “One Time I Saw Morning Come Home” as Want to Read:
One Time I Saw Morning Come Home

One Time I Saw Morning Come Home

Paperback
Published March 2nd 1978 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about One Time I Saw Morning Come Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Time I Saw Morning Come Home

Don
Aug 14, 2014 Don rated it really liked it
The book traces the relationship of the author's parents from the time they first meet until they pass away.

This is a simple story filled with love and tenderness, but also humor and a bit of heartbreak. the writing is just beautiful and, by books' end, I came to care deeply about the warm and wonderful people who populate its pages. It is sentimental without ever becoming sappy which is one of the reasons it works so well.

some knowledge of the Mormon faith might be helpful since Huffaker uses
Nolan
May 16, 2013 Nolan rated it really liked it
Interestingly enough, I almost didn't finish this book, and I'm so glad I did. When I began reading it, I feared it would be a "Grease" kind of thing--good girl meets bad boy, lowers her perspective to match his, etc. This is vastly different from that, and the ending is beautifully written, and not at all Grease-like.

The author has created a somewhat fictionalized account of his parents' lives in a Utah mining town prior to, during, and after the Great Depression. You see up close the clash bet
Karen
Feb 04, 2010 Karen rated it liked it
This is the fictionalized story of the author's parents. They meet as teenagers - Orlean's parents have died and she's living with her two sisters and her older sister's husband. Clair set out on his own after his mother rejected him as a child and his father stood silently by. The book tells of Orlean and Clair's courtship and throughout their marriage how they manage the tragedies and joys of life with grace and humor. If there was anything I didn't like about the book, it was that each ...more
Beth
Apr 10, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
Biography of the authors parents. A love story where the main characters are noble and good--maybe a little too good to be believed. But they did live though some amazing ordeals and times, not always good, but they always came out on the other side stronger for it. It is a wish of mine that everyone could have a love like Clair and Orlean!
Marilyn
Jul 31, 2014 Marilyn rated it really liked it
I read this book in college and LOVED it. I found a copy so I could re-read it. Big mistake. The same magic of Clair and Orleans true love wasn't there for me as it was years ago. Some things are best remembered in the past.
Stacy Pelletier
Sep 10, 2011 Stacy Pelletier rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at a book sale the library was having it was in a pile of westerns. I was maybe 17. It took me a few years to read but the story has stayed with me for almost 20 years now. I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Peggy
Jun 25, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this book when it first came out in the late 70's. I am putting it in my favorites list because I loved it so much at the time. If I read it today I most likely would not love it as much as my teenage self, but it meant so much it should be in this list.
Sonrisa
Nov 04, 2011 Sonrisa rated it liked it
well the cowboy and the cossack by huffaker is still one of my very favourite books of all time. this one still had good characters but the story line itself doesn't compete with the cowboy and the cossack.
Diane
Jun 13, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
My friend reviewed this book at our May club meeting. I enjoyed it so much that I had to read it, too. I highly recommend it - thanks, M!
Arlene Allen
Aug 13, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A moving family saga of a Mormon family -portrays the Mormons in a positive light. It's a beautiful book.
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Suzann Melaerts Stockton
Suzann Melaerts Stockton rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2008
Kami
Kami rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2007
Tolly
Tolly rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2012
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2008
Tawnya
Tawnya rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2010
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2013
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Maria Cross
Maria Cross rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2010
Andrea Young
Andrea Young rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2007
Margene
Margene rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2012
Emily Stockton
Emily Stockton rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2009
Stephanie Labbate
Nov 18, 2013 Stephanie Labbate rated it really liked it
Second time I read this book; forgot how good it was. Takes you back to another place and time.
Cambrie
Cambrie rated it it was ok
May 06, 2012
Kayli
Kayli rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2007
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Debbie Williamson
Debbie Williamson rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2008
Joan
Joan rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
Clair Huffaker was a U.S. author of westerns and other fiction, many of which were turned into films. His sreenplays included such films as "Flaming Star" (1960), "The Commancheros" (1961), "Rio Conchos" (1964), and "The War Wagon" (1967). His TV scripts showed up on "The Virginian", "Lawman" and "Bonanza". Clair wrote screenplays for 3 Euro-westerns, "100 Rifles" (1969), "The Deserter" (1971), ...more
More about Clair Huffaker...